Spoiler! Grey's Anatomy's New Chief Is 'As Surprised As Anybody Else' By the Decision

Seriously, even more change is afoot in the halls of Seattle Grace as Grey’s Anatomy uncorks its new season on Sept. 22.

Already, we have April stepping in as chief resident, but the shuffled pecking order won’t stop there. There’s also going to be a new Chief of Surgery to hail, and this time around it will be [spoiler alert!] Dr. Owen Hunt.

Justin Chambers Uncertain About His Grey’s Future, Talks Possible Series Finale: ‘I’m Sad’

“He’s as surprised as anybody else about this. And he’s nervous about it,” Kevin McKidd told TVLine on the set of Grey’s on Tuesday. “He’s a man of action, really, and the head of trauma surgery — that’s what he knows. Suddenly, he’s in a more administrative position. I think the way he deals with that is going to be interesting.”

What happened to the chief long known as “the Chief,” Dr. Richard Webber? It will be revealed in the two-hour Season 8 opener that he has opted to step down “because of what’s happening with Adele [and her Alzheimer's] and what happened with Meredith” and Derek’s tainted drug trial, McKidd reports. But whereas Webber’s previous demotion was involuntary and met with animus, “He’s made his peace with it” this time.

Ask Ausiello: Spoilers on Grey’s Anatomy, Glee, HIMYM, NCIS: LA and More!

That, however, leaves Owen to deal with the fallout of this most unexpected change in the hierarchy. “People give him a hard time,” McKidd previews. “It’s not going to be easy for Owen being the chief in the aftermath of Richard Webber.”

Assessing the situation as “complicated, because these doctors and surgeons have huge egos, and they don’t like administrative change,” McKidd says, “It’s going to be interesting to see how that plays out.” As an actor, he anticipates “a fun ride” as Owen “tries to shake things up and bring things up to the 21st century in the hospital.”

The most interesting reaction to it all may be that of Owen’s wife, Dr. Cristina Yang, whom McKidd says “will be excited for him, on one level.” But…? “There’s so much more going on in Cristina and Owen’s life,” what with the unexpected (and protested, by her) pregnancy, “that this in a way that adds another layer of complication for them.” (With reporting by Vlada Gelman)

Grey’s Anatomy Exclusive: Season 8 Jumps Ahead [Spoiler]!

What do you think of Grey’s new choice for chief?

1. Jonathan says:

I think this season was better than the last one. The shooting episode revived my love for Grey’s & this season I would love to see more screen time of the original characters & more screen time for Ellen. I hope Meredith gets pregnant, i want a MerDer baby!!!

2. florencia says:

you people have serious problems! IT IS JUST A SHOW! If you don’t like a character that’s fine. But come on! Why do you bother to watch if you don’t like anything about it? Make us all a favour and stop watching. Or even better get a life.

As an outsider to the fandoms, and someone who enjoys the show as a whole, I have to say, the Meredith Derek fandom people you are the worse I’ve ever seen! I can tell who you are from the distance. Why are you so bitter that new and more interesting characters are taking the lead, and that frankly better actors are getting recognized more than them? Could it be jealousy? Or are you finally realizing that they deserve it and that fans are loving other characters more? It happens on every show.Deal with it and move on instead of posting ridiculous and rude comments.

• Anne says:

Isn’t that what you’re doing though? Talking about fake characters and bashing other people, as well as the actors? I’d categorize that as rude. Besides, if their opinion doesn’t match yours, that doesn’t make them horrible. If they hate, let them hate but seems that you want to feed it.

Also, I have been to other boards and it seems that this is not a MerDer problem (the hate for Owen, I mean). I’ve seen other fandoms not be fond of him.

I have to say I’m disappointed in this. I wished Bailey had gotten it. It’d be like S1 all over again. The Nazi awesome Bailey and her interns with her residents. Also, there would’ve been more Bailey/Webber moments.

As for Cristina’s abortion, I wish they would go with the abortion and give a great story about it. There is too much baby drama on Grey’s right now: MerDer with Zola. Calzona with Sofia and Mark…would appreciate something different for one.

• Amanda says:

Plus, going through with the pregnancy would be totally out of character for Christina. People can talk about “growth” all they want. Not everyone wants to be a parent and those who don’t aren’t being “selfish” or “immature” when they say that they don’t want to have kids.

3. Nick says:

GOD I hate Owen so much – him being a chief (where he will just bark a lot of orders in military fashion, as per usual) is going to drive me crazy! I swear if Cristina keeps the baby I am going to be tempted to stop watching the show. Hope she holds her ground!

4. Amanda says:

It’s ironic that Owen told Christina that she would hate the Chief Resident job and now he’s going to be Chief of Surgery. I predict that he’ll hate it just as much as Derek did.

5. Kevin-Sandra fan says:

I realy don’t get it ,why some people hate Owen as a chief
    1.Derek still can act a chief,as long as PD won’t leave GA after S8,
    2.Baily’s been promoted since S6, no one hosipal can hire a new cife who only got 2 years of attending experince, it’s a joke, right?
    3.Mark can be one of candidates? if GA’s a comedy show, not drama

6. prestamo says:

Mi jefe me encargo un proyecto referente a venta casas infonavit , y tu pagina web me ha ayudado mucho.

Gracias

7. Josh says:

Hi there, just wanted to tell you, I loved this blog post.
    It was funny. Keep on posting!

8. weight loss foods says:

I’m gone to tell my little brother, that he should also go to see this weblog on regular basis to take updated from most recent news update.