Vampire Diaries Boss: Season 3 Is 'A Defining Moment' for Damon and Elena

The Vampire Diaries executive producer Kevin Williamson wants to make something clear: Damon and Elena’s growing closeness in the absence of Stefan won’t necessarily lead where viewers think it will this coming season.

“Just because we’re putting her with Damon doesn’t mean they’re going to end up together. And it doesn’t mean they’re going to get together,” Williamson told TVLine at the Television Critics Association Summer Press Tour, when we pressed him about how anxious he plans to make Elena/Stefan fans.

While Damon and Elena will “bond” as they search for Stefan — who’s busy ripping it up on the Stefan/Klaus roadshow — their journey will be “more about friendship” than romance, says Williamson. And with good reason. They have to keep their eye on the prize: a good vampire gone bad.

“It’s not so much about, ‘Are Damon and Elena going to fall madly in love and live happily ever after?'” says Williamson. “It’s, ‘Are Damon and Elena going to be able to find the man they both love?’ … It’s going to be fun to watch Damon and Elena form this relationship that at its core is about a search for the man they both care about.”

Just how deep that relationship will go depends in part on Damon’s own issues and his penchant for doing things that really miff Elena (hello, force-feeding her his blood!).

“Damon is not good at being a hero, so I can’t imagine he’s ever going to do it right,” observes Williamson, adding, “It’s always go to be one step forward, two steps back. ‘OK, so I’m the hero — I’m going to kill three people.’ And that is not OK with Elena.”

But with his saintly brother gone, Damon will have to step it up. How he handles that struggle with being the good guy will play into his relationship status with Elena. “It’s about defining their roles,” says Williamson of the arc. “Are they going to be friends? Lovers? How are they going to define themselves? Because it will be a defining moment for both of them.”

The Vampire Diaries returns Sept. 15 at 8/7c on The CW.

1. AJ says:

Way better, don’t like Damon/Elena anyway.

• Guess says:

They ruined it. Elena just doesn’t have the kick Buffy or Sookie used to have to the “bond” with Damon its a BORE. It was mildly entertaining when Stefan was around because he could get jealous, but without him its just filler.

• Daniel says:

I prefer Elena/Damon! KW sucks!

• Jamie says:

Stefan/Elena suck. God, they’re boring. DE FTW.

• selin says:

oh totally.. elena is like stefan I love you you are the only one. you saved me from dying and stefan is like elena I love you too katherine sucks you are an angel and damon go away you are too bad for her blah blah blah :/

• Yatzka says:

Dish Network doesn’t have The CW channel??? are the episodes going to be available online???

• Isadora says:

WHAT ? I have Dish and they had better NOT quit showing CW

• rehabber says:

You need to check again, I watch the CW almost everyday and I have Dish Network. CW is my network of choice, this fall will be DVRing 6 shows, TVD, SPN, Nikita, Secret Circle, Hart of Dixie, and Ringer.

• tipounemarion says:

yes U can try the site:www.tvduck.com. or go to bing and search vampire diaries streaming

• Yani says:

dish have cw..is the channel 17 girl. I know because I have dish n I watch TVD, supernatural n ANTM.

• Muskaaan says:

uh excuse me i want damon and elena to be together. they r so gud 2gether

• Lorato Moapare says:

stephan maybe elena is first love but when it all comes down to it damon is elena s true love

2. AD59 says:

Stelena forever

• Guess says:

I just don’t understand how is that True Blood can make both Eric and Sookie as well as Bill and Sookie (and Portia, and Lorena, and Caroline) interesting yet The Vampire Diaries can’t make the Damon & Elena angle plausible, much less interesting.

• Tarc says:

Simple. They build Bill as mauture and complex. They built Damon as a perpetual immature twenty something, and while Damon and elena have great chemistry, they have completely incompatable fundamental characters. Great wrting, BTW.

• muskaan says:

no ways it should be dalena forever

• Macintosh says:

I Agree!! S T E L E N A FOR E V E R!! I like Damon && all but I think that Stefan && Elena are B E T T E R!!

3. Liz says:

This makes me happy. Even though this show is not really sometimes it feels sooo really. It makes since that they define what they mean to each other before anything happens

4. Selena says:

Good news, VD still has some ticks and tweets to work out here and there.

5. Sounds just like the plot of the “Vampire Diaries: Shadow Souls” (minus the Klaus part). Excited to see how the show differs from the book!

• Lindsay says:

I was thinking the same thing! (So, I wonder if we’ll also get a hotel room scene at some point this season…)

• Hmmm good question… Here’s hoping. Perhaps then the Elena/Stefan/Damon relationship will become more of a love triangle. At least until Damon kills someone and screws it up!

• Lulu says:

nuh uh. he kills people and she forgives him…when in anyone else’s (my) book it would totally not be okay. that in itself says something. that she understands the reason behind his actions and is willing to forgive his flaws. but its kinda the same with stefan, to an extent, because she doesnt know the worst he’s been (tearing body parts and putting them back together…so…artistic)

• Ellie says:

it does sound quite simlar – if they do base it on shadow souls i hope they do it justice though – as i consider it one of the best books in the series

6. Lauren says:

I think a slow build-up makes the most sense anyways. Having Elena just jump right into bed with Damon a few episodes into the season wouldn’t make any sense in terms of drama and characterization. She obviously loves Stefan. I think seeing Damon in this role could make her fall more in love with him too, cementing the triangle a bit more.

I will admit that I hope Delena ends up being endgame though. I think they have ridiculous chemistry.

• ruby says:

I agree my insightful friend

• Jamie says:

Same here.

• Sophie says:

I totally agree on this one. They shouldn’t be together right away but they really need to end up together :)

• Emma says:

I totally agree 100%

• sarah says:

I think this is why Damon and Elena are EPIC. They are slow and steady and dramatic. Stefan and Elena loved eachother after one episode!

• Lexi says:

They may have chemistry but nothing really in common with each other. Sure they love each other but in the end Elena Really is better off with stefan. i would HATE to see Delena. you dont know how fast i turn the tv when their are Delena scenes. I hate how the writers try to put the first to. There are LOTS of Bonnie and Caroline fans give us them for once Gosh thats all im saying. It’s always Elena this , Elena that ! i like elena too but come on where’s bonnie? , where’s caroline? I Think that caroline and bonnie friendship is better then bonnie and elena because elena just uses bonnie ! I HATE THAT ! for once writers
      give us bonnie and caroline fans somthing please Good god !

7. Kara says:

I’ve been dreading the next season with all of this Delena talk, but this interview with Kevin is starting the help me come around. As a couple Damon and Elena make no sense, for either of them to get together would destroy what we fundamentally love about them, Elena’s compassion and Damon’s BAMF reputation, they just don’t go together. Not to mention Stefan is at the end of the day Elena’s boyfriend and Damon’s brother, and stepping over him to get Delena together just makes them come across as selfish and awful considering what he’s already sacrificed for the both of them.

Now that may change in the life of the show, Damon could become a human or Elena may become a vampire, like what happened in the books. But short of something drastic like that, I don’t see them happening.

• Ranu says:

Agree Kara. Elena is a good girl with a great integrity. I can’t imagine that she will double cross her boyfriend to be with her boyfriend’s brother. After what Stefan did for both of them.

If Damon dares to start love relationship with Elena, it only makes him worse than his character on season 1. And Elena will be more like bitch and worse than Katherine. But, I think Delena fans can think about this.

Kevin tries to make everything consistent. That’s what I call a good producer and a good writer. Keep going..

• Isadora says:

I would love to see Damon and Elens in a real love sexual scene. Maybe Damon can hyponize her ..Give us SOMETHING to look forward to Please!

• Kari says:

You realize you essentially just asked for Damon to rape Elena right? I realize you probably just want to see them get together like many fans, but asking for him to compel her into sex is definitely rape. This would not only be a horrific act for him to commit but would also completely ruin the character and any hope for their future relationship for me and many, many other fans.

• julia says:

Exactly, but it’s in keeping with pairing dynamic so far. Bottom line it’s the violence that Damon has already inflicted on Elena and her friends and family that will always be the downfall of this couple.

It was fine when he was the bad guy, but as a romantic option I would think there is a line, and that line has already been crossed many times over. For Elena to consider him romantically is just too far out of character.

• Emily says:

Definately agree. Stefan and Elena have this relationship that sort of characterized the entire show, Damon came in second. I think that unless they want to change Elena’s entire nature, then they should have her be with Damon. Do you really expect Elena and Damon to show up when they find Stefan and be like “Oh hey, by the way, we’re together now”? It just seems like too much of a change in the story line. Ever since the begining of the show you see Elena and Stefan becoming closer and Damon becoming closer with his brother (while becoming more of a good guy). Putting Elena and Damon together would ruin all of that and it seems like too dramatic of a change to me.

• Lulu says:

ever heard of opposites attract? no? okay then. its the same with kat and stefan…kinda of xD

8. ruby says:

Usually i’d be worried about the creators and writers to be too concerned with what fans especially in a show like TVD but Kevin Williamson and Julie Plec have proven for 2 seasons that they get things right so i have faith. I hope though this show does not have the “season 3 curse” that’s when shows usually start going south

9. Katie says:

Stelena <3

10. cassie says:

Damon should be forever alone until he does some growing up. I’m sick of his sulky face all the time. -.-

• Kara says:

^^THIS SO MUCH!!! Make up your mind show, is Damon this BAMF Vampire or is he this needy whiny lap dog? You can’t have it both ways@

• Star says:

Yes you can have it both ways. It is called character development and is the hallmark of all great characters. He can’t just be one-note, static, the same all the time.

• bre says:

First of all Delena all dee way oka boo boo Damon is not silky he is hot okay& stefan is such a big baby finally he grows some b*lls. :-P

• Lulu says:

and i’m tired of stefan’s broody one

11. julia says:

Stelena is the true love story of this show if the writers are brave enough to write it, and not cater to online tantrums of a vocal group of fans. We shall see.

• Jamie says:

Um, Stelena fans were throwing temper tantrums online after the S2 finale when they thought DE was going to happen in S2 for sure. Nice generalization there.

• Jamie says:

S3 I mean. Typo.

• julia says:

Um, I’ve been around the fandom long enough, I think there is much evidence to support my “generalization.”

• Sarah says:

I respectfully disagree. I think the braver thing would be to write Damon/Elena. Stefan and Elena fell in love in one episode. That is not epic in my opinion. Also, there can be generalizations on both sides. I have seen many a Stelena tantrum in my time in the CW lounge. HAHA.

• TVD fan says:

@Julia: I agree. If we began with Stefan and Elena, then we should end with Stefan and Elena. Damon should be the same as Sawyer was on Lost: the character who learns something along the way. Otherwise I can’t get invested on either “love story”, the ‘girl’ is so fickle.

• If the show follows the book at all it’ll always end with Elena and Stefa, it’s the basis of the entire series, book and show. My guess is that they may allow Damn and Elena to get together for a short period of time, but in the end, they have to bring it back to that original basis.

• Jem says:

The problem with this though is the back-and-forth between brothers. That’s not Elena, that’s Katherine. Early on in season 1, one scene that stood out to me which I think was in “Friday Night Bites” was when Damon was trying to compel Elena to kiss him. Instead, she slapped him and said “I am not Katherine.” Elena getting together with Damon would make her exactly that.

• Emmmma says:

YES thank you for making such a good point!

• Lulu says:

and her getting back with stefan wouldnt be? come on, shes admitted to caroline shes attracted to him, kissed him, forgiven him, almost kissed him like 5 times in season 3…MIXED SIGNALS MUCH! if she got back with stefan it would just be…weird.
            and i DONT see the comparisons between kat and elena. their situations are totally different. stop making such a big deal!
            and bringing it back to stelena is like twilight all over again. lol jks, its nothing like that crap. but still. its boring and soo damn predictable. please.

• Star says:

To begin and end with the same status quo is not good story telling. There has to be growth.

• Tell that to L.J Smith. So far it’s always been about Stefan and Elena, and thousands of people are fascinated by that story telling. The growth that occurs just isn’t in the changing relationships.

Same can be said of Twilight. Anyone who’s read those books knows that Bella really never considers Jacob, it’s always all about Edward. Vampire Diaries is the same.

• E says:

yes thoughout the books Stefan and Elena have always been together, but Elena has always been confused about which brother she truely loves. She stays with Stefan because he is the safe choice, the “good” vampire and Damon is always messing up wether on purpose or not. Also at the end of Midnight you are shown just how confused Elena was and how much she loves Stefan AND Damon.

• Lulu says:

no its not…not in the tv series anyway. plus twilight, literally, sucks because bella falls in love with jacob whilst with edward…imo…someone who’s found their ‘soul mate’ cant fall in love with someone else!

• Ashley says:

“If we began with Stefan and Elena, then we should end with Stefan and Elena.”
        Not to be mean, but what kind of logic is that? Just because a person starts out with someone definitely doesn’t mean that he or she should automatically end up with that same person? Sure, Stefan is Elena’s first love, but that doesn’t mean that he is necessarily the best guy for her. It’s not very realistic, either. While I do believe that they love one another, they fell head over heels for each other practically the first time that they met and didn’t really get to know one another before diving into a relationship. Damon and Elena, on the other hand, have spent over two seasons discovering both the good and bad about the other and building on their friendship. TVD is an amazing show, but that is one of the many reasons why I like it so much. The character development. My favorite part of the show is watching the slow, epic development of Damon and Elena’s relationship.

• Ashley says:

“If we began with Stefan and Elena, then we should end with Stefan and Elena.”

• Brittany says:

Uhhh Damon was actually sopposed to end up with elena until the author of the book got replaced by a gohst writer because of it. But I Still have hope because I think there are actually more delena fans than stelena.

12. Jamie says:

I love KW and JP, but I’m so sick of them spouting that SE is ‘so epic.’ Because newsflash, they’re not. Couples that meet, get together, break up, get back together and have sex within 10 episodes and are constantly having fake fights are NOT epic sorry to say. The majority of fans are DE shippers, so I sincerely hope they take that into consideration. People tune in for DE, not SE. SE is boring and Stefan is portrayed as a saint (while Damon is portrayed as an evil monster) when he’s not – he was an effing RIPPER for Christ’s sake. He’s NOT completely innocent here.

• julia says:

Good writing is not a popularity contest. On True Blood Eric and Sookie are the favored pairing, but we all know they are temporary because in the long run they do not make sense as a couple. Same for Damon and Elena.

• Danielle H. says:

Shhhh. We can dream in both cases, kthx.

• Josephine says:

Julia: have you ever read the books? I mean the true blood ones? because other wise you might want to check out your data before giving out falsh information, true blood actually follows the books rather closely so if you had looked one of them out (I mean the later ones) you would know that Sookie and Eric, is sounding more and more like end game…

• Delena says:

as much as i wanted to see sookie/eric happen….when it did.. it left me feeling ok…now what. know what i mean? i really want damon and elena to happen but if thats going to be as fast as sookie and eric im sure, as much as i’ll love it at that moment, i’ll leave me left feeling ‘whats next’ after… so put it off as long as possible imo ;)

• Lulu says:

uhhhhmmmmm sookie and eric have totally different relationship…yeah eric is second to bill…but its not the same! you can’t just compare like that!
        tbh i cannot imagine elena going back to stefan if she looks and learns about what he’s done. stefan only has a chance atm because he’s so naive…i just cant imagine things going back to normal.
        and if stelena are end game…i will…uhh…throw something at the producers ;)

• TVD fan says:

@Jaime: the majority pf fans are Caroline and Tyler shippers, Bonnie and Damon shippers and Stefan and Elena shippers. Why else do you think the ratings went down the last half of season 2 (because the majority of fans were completely disappointed the way their ships were handled)?

• Cherry says:

The Delena thread has more posts than the Stelena thread on CW lounge or the Bamon one. The Delena shippers trend more on twitter. I would say more people are Delena from what I have seen but I guess there is no way to statistically determine that. HAHA I know that everyone I know is Delena, from age 20-55.

• Lulu says:

no way. you know thats a lie. hardly any people are bamon shippers. a lot of people like forwood, i agree, but its mainly based around stelena/delena, cus, well, they’re the main characters! the ratings went down like any other tv show might do, not because of the way the ships were handled. and i DO believe the number of viewers has been going UP since like season 3, episode 6 or something :) ask wiki xD

• tarc says:

People tune in because the show is great (interesting, deliciously dark, well written, well performed), irregardless who’s bedding whom. Seriously, who cares if Elena is with Damon or Stefan or flying solo?

• An says:

I agree. The platonic relationships are a lot more interesting than any romantic relationship on this show. It doesn’t matter who ends up with who as long as the journey to get there is exciting.

• Guess says:

But “the journey” is not interesting: that’s the whole problem. Every time a witch discovers her powers (Bonnie) a werewolf falls in love with a vampire (Tyler), a baby vampire defies her maker (Caroline) or a medium starts to see dead people (Jeremy) the show writes them off for 5 to 10 episodes or goes into a hiatus of heavily love triangle proportions. Even now, all there is about Elena and Damon the so called “platonic, dark and/or intersting” dynamics can only be found in True Blood, not The Vampire Diaries

• Lulu says:

maybe
            for you
            but true blood is supposed to be for a more mature audience, since its on a different channel and stuff
            i have watched some tb episodes but i just cant find the same attraction that i find in tvd, but thats just imo

• Ellen says:

i totally agree!!!!

• murley says:

jamie, in all fairness, you have absolutely no idea what paring the ‘majority’ of the fans want.

• Cassie says:

Seriously, thank you. I think that the Damon and Elena fans are pushier and more demaning because they know it’s never gonna happen :)

• Jem says:

I have no problem with ships and people shipping ships. However, it starts to grate when that is all people care about…never mind the fact that the show loses its quality. Also, it’s probably not wise to generalize that the majority of the show’s fans are for DE. Not all fans go online and to obsessively ship.

13. Marita says:

I refuse to buy into the Stelena BOREFEST!! Delena have more chemistry on screen and they are more interesting and intense. The triangle will always be a central part of the show and the writers have to cater to both sides, but at the end of the day you can’t expect Delena not to happen! There is already a massive build-up which ultimately will have to be followed through, others wise the writers are not doing the story any justice.

• Guess says:

I don’t see this “chemistry” you speak of, I see the jealousy of Stefan over his brother messing about with his gilfriend and I see Damon’s jealousy over Katherine’s love for Stefan but I don’t see the slightest chemistry between Elena and anybody, only petty contest over a girl-prize. I find that tirsome, not romantic.

• Kara says:

100% Agreed. Elena is hardly more than a girl-prize now, jfc. And I think this “chemistry” argument is subject to be generous, I see no evidence of it either. I suspect for many it will evaporate the moment Stefan is out of the picture.

• Lulu says:

have you watched any season 3 episodes? if anything, the chemistry is MORE. and if you can’t see that, then i dont know what you think chemistry is :O

• Caro says:

I guess we see what we believe! I can totally see the chemistry between them. They care about each other, maybe now as friends, but you cannot say that there isnt something there that could lead them to be lovers. It will happen, i’m telling you.

• Jem says:

Chemistry is very subjective. What you find “intense and interesting” may be opposite to somebody else. I think DE are pretty together but if Elena is supposed to be opposite of Katherine, getting with Damon is probably a when “hell freezes over” moment for her.

What is so wrong with having Elena and Damon remain as friends? They have enough tension without it having to be romantic. Damon needs a mature woman who he can have a consensual relationship with minus the compulsion/violence. I get that this is TV but putting Elena who is supposed to be the moral center of the show with someone like Damon who not only abused/attempted to kill her best friend/killed her brother/forced his blood on her is just too contrived. He has violated and crossed THAT line with Elena so many times yet he’s supposed to be a “contender” for her heart? There has been too many shows that have gone the bad-boy woobie that gets the girl route.

For Damon, I want him to find his redemption for himself..and for his brother. I don’t want him redeemed all for the sake of Elena.

• Sallie says:

You can’t see the chemistry? You must need glasses! HAHAHA. Just kidding. Their chemistry is smoking! You could totally tell from day one that this was a triangle. The other side is gonna get some. KW himself said he can’t wait to see the sweaty palms and first kiss of Delena. So you can’t really put stock into his interviews apparently.

14. Danielle H. says:

AMG. Really? They play up the fact that Damon and Elena kissed as a draw for season 3 (which we TOTALLY should have had a for real trailer for by now, not rehashed old clips), then they turn around and say, “Aw now wait a minute ya’ll, we just mean to say they are gonna get closer, not get it on.” Pffffffft. Way to yank chains, VD folks. Very shady; I’m totally not a fan of shadiness. I don’t see Damon and Elena falling right into bed, but I can see this season building a deep friendship into maybe something more. TEASES!!!!

15. roro says:

STELENA FOR THE WIN. <3 EPIC LOVE

16. Mia says:

Everything is Stefan/Klaus/Elijah and nothing hurts. :D

17. Mikaylah says:

Damon and Elena annoy the crap out of me. Damon is more whiny than bada** and Elena is always using his feeling for her to manipulate him into doing what she wants.

18. Emily says:

Stelena <3
    I hate that Damon is going to be using Andie again in S3. Caroline should kick his ass. :@

19. Heidi Mills says:

Uh, no, Kevin Williamson, it does not always have to be one step forward, two steps back. There can be actual PROGRESS in Damon’s journey. Not to mention, it doesn’t always have to be about Stefan. UGH.

• Bria says:

i kno right

• Jem says:

I’ve always preferred that the Salvatore brothers be the center of the story…instead of Elena. Their dynamic is interesting and hopefully Damon focus on getting his brother and not get with his brother’s gf while he’s gone. The writers will be taking Damon to a new low if that happens because Stefan did what he did to keep his brother “alive.” He sacrificed what he had with Elena for Damon. For Damon to turn around and do that to Stefan would completely ruin the character for me.

• diane says:

i agree they shouldnt have elana and damon together bc that would just be discusting and stefan did what he had to do to save his brothers life trying to make mends with damon

20. Debbie says:

Stelena forever <3
    Damon should be with a badass vampire. :p

21. Amy says:

I think damon should find someone else that is like him.

22. Bria says:

Damon and Elena should be lovers and everyone knows it

• Tarc says:

Uh, no they don’t. In fact, Elena would be far better off with neither. Just like Sookie/Erik, the core characteristics of the components of the pair (Stefan/Elena) do not mesh, and they’ve made vamps such a massive danger in VD that Stefan is really not an option for anyone not interested in also being a vamp.

23. Danielle says:

Am I the only one who DOESN’T think Delena would be interesting? Damon is an interesting character, but Elena is as dull as sandpaper if i’m being totally honest.

24. Mia says:

LOL at the person who said Eric/Sookie will only be temporary since they dont make sense- UM…. Have you read the books? Sookie/Eric are together and married!

Oh at what the hell is Bamon? Someone said Bamon, Stelena and Forwood have the biggest fanbases.
    I disagree STRONGLY.

I’d be Delena, Stelena and Forwood.

And Stelena are boring. Damon and Elena are the better story and have way more interesting scenes. The DE scenes are the most talked about for sure. Name 1 SE scene that ever got as much attention as the I Love You in 2×08, the Dance in 1×18 or the Kiss in 2×22.

Yeah. NUFF SAID.

• tarc says:

I don’t know, I make money writing in the genre and Sookie/erik makes no more sense than Damon/Elena. The entire point of their characterizations is cheistry sans compaatibility. And after reading all bu the last book of the Southern Vampire Mysteries, I’d be shocked (and be looking for a actual reason other than compatibility – like blackmail) for a Sookie/Erik marriage. *shrugs* It makes no sense for the characters as drawn by the writers.

• Fan says:

@Mia: Eric and Sookie in the books are a rather old fashioned form of arranged marrige so, what the TV show is doing, it’s to give them a more contemporary romance which works for each incarnation of True Blood characters, not only Eric and Sookie. What The Vampire Diaries is doing its a proverbial mess! They rewrote Bonnie so that Elena would have a fighting chance and even then Delena doesn’t work without Stefan (if you need a third party to make a couple remotely interesting then that couple doesn’t work to begin with).

• sarah says:

Sookie and Eric are in love in the books, but they get married at first so Eric can protect Sookie from a new king moving in that wants her. Eric and Sookie have been together on and off since book 4 now. If you have read the books there is no way you should be shocked.

• Jem says:

It “worked” because of the tension which is provided by Stefan being the boyfriend/brother.

25. ZR says:

“chemistry” so sick of delenas using that word. besides season two was a disappointment compared to season one. they turned elena who was strong and noble into a whorish bitchy hypocrite. damon went from badass to whinny. they gave stefan almost nothing to do. and for some random reason bonnie and jeremy got together.
    also delena fans please try to look beyond ian’s pretty face.

• delana says:

it has nothing to do with ians face…dont be so superficial. its the chemistry between them, whether its a real life thing or not, it is NOT there with stefan and elena….it is with damon and elena. my guess its a real life chemistry thats oozing off on screen…. you have to be blind not to see it.

26. ZR says:

also i think KW and JP should do less talking and go back to quality writing.

27. Kim says:

This is why I hate love triangles. The fans will hate the girl in the middle (in this case, Elena) unless she’s treating the guy they like well. The Stelenas will hate Elena if she gets with Damon, the Delenas will hate her if she gets with Damon. JFC, she’s a human being who has a lot of growing up to do and is still 17 years old. She isn’t a prize to be won. Right now she is with Stefan because she’s still young and quite frankly it would make no sense for her whatsoever to break up with him for Damon, who’s still kind of a psycho. On the other hand, I can easily see her growing out of the relationship, and maybe very later on have a very short and brief affair with Damon if he ever does become a better person.

I hate seeing ‘whore’ and ‘bitch’ comments directed towards her character. If you think about it, the Salvatore brothers are both the selfish ones here for obsessing over a 17 year old girl who’s the spitting image of their ex girlfriend. Stefan and Damon have plenty of their own issues and it isn’t fair that all the criticism is always directed towards Elena.

• N says:

Finally an intelligent comment not written by rabid fangirls. Also, people are talking about one or the other being endgame for Elena – she is 17! What endgame are we talking about? Do we really think they should take the Twilight route and have Elena decide who she’s going to spend the rest of her life with at 17?? Frankly, I don’t find it realistic, regardless of whether it’s Stefan or Damon.
      As for people complaining how Damon is whiny – psychology 101 – if someone is that volatile, it usually stems from some kind of insecurity. Elena (again, I repeat, a teenage girl!) just discovering her womanly charms can help her manipulate men – also realistic. What JP and KW are doing is called creating multi-dimensional characters.

• Jem says:

Which is why I’d rather that Elena not get with either one. Let her be single for awhile. Even better, once she’s had time to reflect on everything that has happened to her, let her be with a nonsupernatural guy.

They’ve turned her into a prize and unfortunately, I’m liking the character less and less. Honestly, the writers should just pick a ship (if they really want her to have a Salvatore) and just stay there. But they need to constantly bait and tease to keep people watching (or so they think) but in actuality, the show begins to lose its appeal because it is so much more than the triangle-of-doom that they have put so much focus on. The town has so much history and filled with such interesting people. Stop catering to the fandom. Write the story well and give us characterization!

• Lulu says:

i do agree. but this is what, unfortunately, pulls a lot of people in. ‘:O will it be damon or stefan she chooses in the end? omgomg’ blah blah blah
      i mean shes on 17 and under a lot of stress and pressure, being a doppelganger and all.
      but i dont think its right to blame it on the salvatores really. maybe stefan cus he decided to get involved in the first place and live a ‘normal life’ well hello? you’re a vampire fgs! what do you think is gonna happen? but damon just went along for the ride and to try and get to elena cus she looked like kat and to annoy stefan (yeah, selfish, but his humanity and emotions were all haywire so im not really blaming him. stefan was actually thinking straight) when he was a bit psycho and he got involved without really knowing it, and by that time of realisation he’s already in love with her and needs to protect her cus of klaus and all that jazz. if he left her now, THAT would be selfish, because atm she needs him just as much as he needs her.

28. BENEDETTA says:

SEMPRE E SOLO STELENAAAAAAA!!!

29. Shannon says:

I love this!!!! When I saw Damon and Elena’s kiss in the season finale, I could see how badly it could go. Stefan sacrificed himself to save Damon and now Damon goes and steals his girl. It would totally be a stupid thing to do. But if they do this, and build a friendship, I could like that alot. I have always thought they were better as friends anyway.

30. Kaz says:

I think Williamson and Plec will play out the idea of Damon and Elena as a couple of some sort at some point, because that it the point of this kind of “reformed bad guy” love story. That doesn’t mean that they will be as lovey-dovey as Stefan and Elena have been in the few moments where mortal danger wasn’t right around the corner, nor that they will work as a couple in the long run, which I don’t see happening.

What I’d like to see *before* that will happen is that Damon finds another motive not to act like the serial killer he was when we first met him, that just pleasing the human girl he pines after. He has to want to be a better vampire (we have seen several vampires that blended into the human society quite well) for himself, not as a chance to get the girl. Otherwise, he will always bounce back and forth between the lunatic impulsive (and not very clever) bad guy and the lap dog for Elena, both of which aren’t that interesting to watch. While I thoroughly enjoy Damons one-liners and sarcastic remarks (throth be told, they’re the highlight of most episodes), they’re better still when he’s acting clever, which never happens in neither lap dog nor raving lunatic mode.

31. Caroline says:

This storyline makes me happy. I am a true Stelena fan, so the idea of Damon and Elena getting closer as friends is a good idea. I really like Damon, just not for Elena.

32. Catherine W. says:

When the two people who many viewers are rooting to get together actually get together on a TV show, it usually means it’s over for the show. The build-up is part of the intrigue and keeps people coming back watch. I think it’s smart that the writers are not making Damon and Elena lovers right away.

Ideally, I would want Damon to turn into a human, give Elena a child, get killed, and then Stefan and Elena end up together. That would be the ideal series finale for me.

• Diana says:

I absolutely agree with your first paragraph! In an older TV series called “Moonlighting”, once Mattie and David fell into bed together the show died because all the sexual tension between their characters was lost, and there was nothing interesting to anticipate anymore. But I have to say I think your idea of a finale for the series is a bit too melodramatic!

• Lulu says:

wahahaha what? that’s tragic, not ideal! (the finale) and it’s a tiny bit crazy. but i guess it’s unpredictable. lol

33. Mike B says:

Are they going to kill of Klaus? I hope. They need another badee.

34. night magic says:

Damon and Elena are fantastic together !!! their chemistry is amazing and they have fun he makes her smile .She brings out a gentle caring side in Damon and each gets something from the other .when the two are on scene it is never boring .Damon and Elena forever!!!!!

35. night magic says:

How could they ignore the chemistry between Damon and Elena !!!!!

36. Amanda says:

I don’t understand why the Stelena fans are in such denial over this. The premise of TVD is the love triangle between Stefan/Elena/Damon. So eventually Damon and Elena will be together. No one knows which couple is endgame yet.

37. Nightshadow says:

I like Damon. But he becomes more and more of “I´m the adult and you all better do what I say!” That doesn´t belong to him,makes him boring. DE together would also be boring,it doesn´t fit.
    I hope/think Stefan & Elena get back together because Julie Plec said it this way: “All in all Stelena is the true epic lovestory of the show. They will form and grow,going trough obstacles and rough patches which end up bringing them together stronger than before.”

38. raluca says:

perfect…i want demon and elena friends but just that….elena and stefan are in love and wil be forever..:X
    if their love stop wil be suck….

39. G Parlid says:

DAMON AND ELANA HAVE TO AT LEAST HAVE SOME PASSIONATE KISSING. GOT TO HAVE SOME ROMANCE BETWEEN THE 2 OF THEM IN THE INTERIM. WON’T BE WORTH WATCHING IF THERE ISN’T.

40. D.MLA says:

I think in my opinion that Elena is trying so hard to proove she isnt Katherine that they will show the major difference between them. Katherine chose Stefan – Elena choses Damon, well when i say i think that will happen i really mean i want that to happen.

41. Delenaforevas says:

I want Damon and Elena to end up as a couple at the end of the show. Damon still has a lot of things to work out with elena, but then again he was the only Salvatore brother who tried to save Elena from the sacrifice ritual. Stefan put effort, but small amounts into saving Elena. What I like about Damon in the Delena relationship is that Damon will always choose Elena, no matter who appears and what happens, he’ll always choose Elena. Stefan is an awesome boyfriend to her, but face it. Without Damon, Elena would be dead right now. Elena has tryed “killing herself” by handing herself over 2 klaus, but Damon was the only brother who prevented her from doing that. Stefan is great in all, but Damon is truly better for her in the end.

42. Ashley says:

Stefan/Elena just needs to go away! I cant stand them!! Its obvious that she belongs with Damon and that the chemistry and electricity is real passionate between them and with Stefan gone, still, nothing is going to happen. I mean, I dont want her to cheat, but keeping it platonic and with friendship and not trying to move them forward to being together, I just have enough of it.

43. Abhilasha says:

Stelena<3..Feel bad for Stefan.Damon-elena only as friends plz…

44. Susy says:

I agree 100%!!! Give us something to hold us off until DELENA truly happens!!!

45. Clare Giblin says:

WAIT! WAIT! WAIT! I have been DIEING FOR DELENA!!! And now its not gonna happen!?!?!?! NO FRIEKIN WAY!!!!

46. Kayla says:

Honestly i love TVD and as long as it ends well and they keep the storylines interesting and good i will love it and to be completely honest i love delena together but again even if they don’t end up together as long as they make the stories interesting and the characters awesome i will be happy. Oh and for those who say that damon was whiny and elena was a bitch, firstly i think that they have showed lots of depth and passion and humanity in damon this last season and ian (somerhalder) played it amazingly i loved seeing more depth to damon’s character and background as opposed to just some psycho killing machine so Well done Ian and TVD writers!! Secondly i love nina dobrev and i think she portrays Elena amazingly as well i mean she is only 17 and she’s been through a whole hell of alot and she has a lot of different decisions to make and hard decisions at that and she won’t always make the right decision, cuz who really always does? The main point though is she is only 17 and she’s still growing up and trying to figure things out and as a character she is very mature for her age especially with all she’s been through plus she thinks with her head as well as her heart unlike let’s say bella from twilight, with that note i would just like to say that i love nina dobrev as an actress and how she portrays elena ( i mean you try being in her shoes :P) and i love ian somerhalder and how he portrays damon and i just love TVD altogether, so keep up the good work, can’t wait for the new season! No matter how it ends i do love Delena, but i will still love TVD even if she ends up with stefan xoxo

47. Betsy says:

I hope Elena ends up … sometime … with Damon. Stefan has been that boring goody-two-shoes guy during the whole show. Now he’s going back to being one of the worst of the worst, as he was back when. Elena has made Damon better. But he’s still interesting. #Delana

48. Tara says:

Stelena always <3

49. Aziza says:

My main interest is in the relationship between Stefan and Damon which I’m excited that they seem to be developing that. I don’t really think the Stelena and Delena arguments are necessary because I personally feel the core characters are the Salvatore brothers. I like all the characters so I don’t care who elna ends up with although I would feel sorry for Stefan if he was rejected but at the same time I would be happy for Damon.

50. Lalitha says:

Where is Katherine??! Stefan will always be Elena’s love.
    Damon needs to get his own girl, I don’t mind their friendship.
    But Stefan gave it all up to save his brother, Damon would be an ass to go after his girl. And Elena would come off like a sl*t. I don’t want that. Let’s get Damon with Bonnie.

• diane says:

i think damon sure find someone else to love not his brothers girl and i think damon should get together with carolines mother