The TVLine-Up: TV Worth Watching This Week

Coming to your screen this week: A possible detour in a Pretty Little romance, White Collar buttons up its summer season, and True Blood‘s Sookie gets down and dirty. As but a supplement to the fresh features and reporting TVLine has coming your way, here are 35 programs to keep on your radar.

8/7c Bachelor Pad (ABC) |
If you’re among those eagerly anticipating Season 2 of this Bachelor/ette offshoot, I hope you are really eager for it, because this opener is three flippin’ hours long.
8 pm How I Met Your Mother (CBS) | Repeat No. 1: “This game show host once cameo’d on a Monday-night CBS sitcom.” Repeat No. 2: Lily’s fertility doc looks awfully (meaning awesomely) familiar.
9 pm The Closer (TNT) | Just in case there were any doubts how serious this lawsuit against Brenda is: This week subpoenas go out to the MCD boys. Well, all but one of them.
9 pm Warehouse 13 (Syfy) | Pete, Myka and H.G. Wells pursue an artifact that has eluded three generations of Warehouse agents.
9 pm Switched at Birth (ABC Family) | Summer finale: Bay meets her biological father (played by Gilles Marini), and instantly feels icky about a certain Sex and the City movie scene.
9 pm One Tree Hill (The CW) | One baby that (presumably) was not switched at birth is Haley and Nathan’s No. 2, (re)born here tonight.
10 pm Rizzoli & Isles (TNT) | Colin Egglesfield aka the son Erica Kane never had, but did, guest stars as Jane’s brother, freshly sprung from the clink.

How I Met Your Mother Preview: Kal Penn’s Role, Barney’s Love Hexagon, Robin’s Act of Violence

8 pm Pretty Little Liars (ABC Family) |
If only because “A” sent me cookies the other day when I was in L.A. for TCA, I will suggest you tune in to watch Aria start growing verrrrry close to Jason.
9 pm White Collar (USA Network) | I was watching this midseason finale over the weekend, and you could cut the tension with a frickin’ knife, as Peter and guest star Beau Bridges schemed to lead Neal into a masterful trap. And then the screener froze midway through. And then I screamed.
9 pm America’s Got Talent (NBC) | This week’s acts were culled from YouTube, so expect at least one group of cats hazzing cheeseburgers.
9 pm Memphis Beat (TNT) | A storm strands Dwight and Whitehead inside a mansion, where a murder mystery in short order plays out, Ergo the episode title, “Ten Little Memphians.”
10 pm HawthoRNe (TNT) | Cristina makes some – and I quote – “seismic life decisions.”
10 pm Covert Affairs (USA Network) | Midseason finale: The botched defection of a Chinese scientist threatens to have massive implications for Annie and – wait for it – her sister…?!

8 pm So You Think You Can Dance (Fox) |
The final four hit the dance floor; elimination night is Thursday at 8.
8:30 pm Modern Family (ABC) | Gloria’s attempted abandonment of her accent comes at a most frightening time for Claire.
9 pm Royal Pains (USA Network) | Famed news personality Matt Mitovich Lauer appears as himself, when Evan books an anxious Hank for the Today show.
10 pm Damages (DirecTV) | While Patty’s granddaughter has a health scare, Ellen’s case against High Star is set back when Boorman undermines her witness. Fun fact: The episode’s title is “We’ll Just Have To Find Another Way to Cut The Balls Off This Thing.”
10 pm Primetime Nightline: Famous and Underage (ABC) | A look at child celebrities past and present, including unsettling showcases such as Toddlers & Tiaras.

Big Bang Theory Scoop! Things Get ‘Messy’ for Leonard and Penny, Plus More Nerdy Fun

8 pm The Big Bang Theory (CBS) |
The boys play detective when Sheldon[‘s MMORPG character] is robbed.
8:30 pm Parks and Recreation (NBC) | Ron schools a visiting student on how the government works.
9 pm Burn Notice (USA Network) | Michael, Jesse and returning guest star Lauren Stamille must go all Rambo when they are surrounded by unfriendlies in a Caribbean jungle.
10 pm Suits (USA Network) | Mike is vexed when his assignment to reign in a modern-day Robin Hood risks exposing one of his deep, dark secrets.
10 pm Rookie Blue (ABC) | Did you see where the prez of ABC said he digs the idea of maybe someday running Rookie Blue during the regular TV season?
10 pm Wilfred (FX) | Wilfred decides to do Ryan a solid by helping him get at the true cause of death of his childhood dog. I imagine it will take some… sniffing around?

FX Renews Louie and Wilfred, Orders Record-Setting Two More Seasons of It’s Always Sunny

8 pm NFL Exhibition Game (Fox) |
It’s the Owners vs. Players Buccaneers vs. Chiefs!
9 pm Karaoke Battle USA (ABC) | Idol changed its name and network? You’d think there would have been a press release.
10 pm Haven (Syfy) | A wedding turns more grueling than usual when the party and guests get sealed off, and a wicked something begins attacking them one by one. This is why you should always have an open bar, folks.
10 pm Torchwood: Miracle Day (Starz) | I’m still burning mad about last week’s death. But looking ahead: With Gwen, Esther and Rex each trapped in separate places, it’s up to Jack to get to the bottom of things.

9 pm Doctor Who (BBC America) | A special hour serves up highlights from Matt Smith’s run as the Time Lord.
9 pm WrestleMania (NBC) | If you haven’t noticed, The TVLine-Up will never suggest that you watch Jersey Shore. But there might be some fun to be had here, when that Snooki person enters the ring as part of this highlight reel from the 27th annual season kick-off.

9 pm True Blood (HBO) |
One of the Sookie Stackhouse novels’ most famous scenes at long last makes it to the small screen. It involves a guy, a girl, and a shower (sort of).
9 pm Leverage (TNT) | With the skitters scattered, the con is back on, and with back-to-back episodes. The first hour involves a crooked funeral director; the second requires the team to stage their most intricate scheme ever.
9 pm Food Network Star (Food Network) | Season 7 finale: After one more elimination, the final two prep pilots for their prospective series.
10 pm Curb Your Enthusiasm (HBO) | Jeff’s “courtship” of Ricky Gervais is waylaid by a waiter.
10 pm Breaking Bad (AMC) | Jesse’s disappearance puts Walter on edge — and mind you, this is a guy who only recently watched a punk bleed out in front of him for, like, 10 minutes.

Which of the above is must-see TV for you? And by all means, hit the comments to politely share tune-in recommendations of your own.

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out / Change )

1. Sarah says:

Where is Damages? Also, Haley’s name is misspelled in the OTH section.

2. Jerri says:

No love for Eureka & Warehouse 13?

3. BRETT says:

MTV’s highest rated show of all time, but yeah, you won’t mention it. I remember doing a TVLine poll where I suggested you write articles around shows with higher ratings as opposed to.. I don’t know, another GLEE PROJECT article? Yeah, I see that’s not going to happen.

4. Amy says:

Excited for Switched At Birth! But also sad it is the last new episode until January. Boo.

5. Jon says:

Nice play on words there with the Torchwood things. You big meanie.

I’m really excited for the shower scene on True Blood, as long as it stays between said guy and girl, and doesn’t add another certain nosy, up-tight loser somebody into the mix.

6. Doris says:

No Food Network Star? It’s the final episode, and the winner will be named. I’m good with Jeff or Susie, but I don’t want it to be Vic. Please, no!

• Matt Webb Mitovich says:

My last add before… not adding any more. Added!

See, with raindrops we can fill buckets! ‘Tis an interactive experience like none other.

7. Eline says:

Yay for Rookie Blue!

Now if only you guys would recognize Flashpoint for the awesomeness that it is…

• H says:

YESS! I totally agree. They’re both two amazing Canadian shows. If only they could run a full season and not just in the summer

8. Hannah says:

You’re still mad about last weeks death in Torchwood? I’m still mad about last season’s death in Torchwood! And I’m a little less mad about the deaths from two seasons ago. But I have come to terms with the fact that if I decide to watch Torchwood people I love in the series will die.

• tlbrownlie says:

here here!

• mars says:

This. And I’m way more attached to Tosh, Owen, and Ianto than I was to Vera. Although she is a BAMF.

I’ve been killing my eyes (and my productivity) by reading 7+hrs of tw fanfic everyday. That’s what I get for ignoring the fandom and its amazingly talented writers for 2 years (after COE, I needed some retcon). And I’m convinced RTD and co. would bow their heads in shame if they could see how much more brilliant tw fans are. Srsly. It’s unreal.

• mars says:

p.s. and the sad thing is, CJ will never die, but he will always be the most tragic figure in fiction.

9. Lorie says:

I’ve read so many good things about Switched at Birth that I set my DVR to tape today’s marathon.

10. Remy says:

Glad to finally see Leverage make this list… Excited for the two hr eps. Gonna miss Switched at Birth when it finishes up for the summer though…not a bad way to spend an hr.

11. TVDIVA says:

I did a Torchwood marathon Sunday and watched the first five episodes. Is it me, or are the US characters a bit one dimensional? It is either the acting or the writing I am not sure which. And the death at the end of episode five was a waste and poor storytelling.

• taelorrye says:

That death was EXCELLENT storytelling.
      As much as I HATED for Vera to die, it does SO MUCH for the story. For example, Rex is given passion with which to fight. Before this event, Rex was just fighting for “the right thing.” Now, his annoying self is able to fight for VENGEANCE. Finally, his character will be more than just a douche who tries to boss around everyone else. In addition, it supplies the Torchwood crew with necessary material (via Rex’s camera) to help take down PhiCorp. Deeper intentions are surfacing, and they would be harder to find without Vera’s death. I hate that it had to be Vera, but it was…

• mars says:

I have a lot of problems with MD and the storytelling, but I agree that Vera’s death was necessary. She’s awesome and we (or at least I) didn’t see that coming so it was quite a shock, but I’m actually looking forward to this week’s episode with less apprehension than I had in previous weeks.

12. Christa says:

What about Teen Wolf?

13. Fernando says:

I am super exticed to see Colin Egglesfield, he’s a really good actor and a good eye candy!

I can’t wait to see what Spencer and Emily find in Jason’s house this week in Pretty Little Liars.

I really hope Rookie Blue returns next year as a mid season show because I know it can make lots of ratings, one of the best cop shows ever.

I like Friends with Benefits so I’m looking forward to friday nights

14. Julia says:

At least we’ll get to see a bit of Ianto on this week’s Warehouse 13! :)

15. Jess says:

Glad to see you showing some love for Haven. One of the best show’s out there at the moment. Definitely worth watching on a Friday night. Now if you guys could manage some spoilers on it, that would be excellent ;)

16. Ana Muller says:

I haven’t read the books so I’m really looking forward to seeing what this shower scene is all about!

17. Guess says:

Frankly, Sookie and Eric are the best part of this season whether the show follows the True Blood’s books or not!

18. Jessica says:

“Colin Egglesfield aka the son Erica Kane never had, but did…”

LOL! You mean the “unaborted fetus”. I try and pretend he never exsisted. The only Kanes are women: Erica, Kendall AND the oh-so-tortured, always falls in love with straight women, Bianca!

19. Jenn says:

Thank you for the Leverage love :) it’s one of the best shows on TV!!! Also, don’t forget on this weeks Burn Notice Gavin Rossdale in on :)

20. Adam Higgins says:

Want to see your favorite True Blood characters made into Barbie dolls?