Rebecca Budig Opens Up About Her All My Children Future: 'In My Head, I Have Moved On'

While it’s hard to imagine daytime TV without All My Children, it’s even more difficult to picture the fictional Pine Valley without reformed badgirl Greenlee Smythe and the talented scene-stealing actress who plays her, Rebecca Budig. But with the future of the long-running ABC soap arguably still up in the air, it may be time to bid the two adieu when the broadcast finale airs on Sept. 23.

TVLine spoke in-depth with Budig about her future with AMC once it leaves airwaves, what she would have done differently with Greenlee’s 2009 return, and, ultimately, where she’d like to end up on the acting spectrum.

TVLINE | As of now, where do things stand with you, your costars, and Prospect Park [the media upstart aiming to take AMC and One Life to Live online]? Are deals in the works in order to move forward with production on All My Children?
I think they’re negotiating with the unions before they can even negotiate with [the actors]. I don’t know anything other than that.

TVLINE | It’s pretty common for actors to become attached to the characters they play over extended periods of time, so are you interested in staying with All My Children when — or if — it moves to the Internet? Or had you already accepted that this chapter in your life had ended when AMC‘s finale was set?
Yes! You are very intuitive. [Laughs] The truth is that in my head, I have moved on — and I think most of [the cast] had wrapped our heads around this. I’m a believer that change is good and that things happen for a reason, but I will never say never, because you never know. These [Prospect Park] guys are smart and I think they know what they’re doing. It’s super-ambitious and innovative and a new frontier — and I feel like All My Children is the perfect choice to start an online network.

TVLINE | Have you heard the latest reports that have Prospect Park courting cable channels to air the episodes after they debut online? If they locked in something like that, would you more seriously consider sticking with All My Children?
Wow. Gosh, I don’t know. I love the show and I’m so grateful for everything it’s done for me. I lived my twenties in New York and I had a great job — there’s no better way to grow up. But Greenlee hasn’t been written for recently the way she was written for when she was with Leo, and that’s what I really loved to do. It’s actually what I came back to do [when I rejoined AMC in 2009]. But it never really happened, and that’s a big factor to me. It’s not about the money, it’s that I want to sink my teeth into something. Greenlee was so funny before, but she lost her sense of humor. They do write funny stuff for her opposite Erica (Susan Lucci), I will say that. [Laughs]

TVLINE | What do you think your next step will be if the Sept. 23 broadcast finale of AMC marks the end of the road for Greenlee? I can certainly see you ending up on primetime television somewhere.
It’s fun to be on a soap, but at the same time…. Look, I’m not 20 anymore. [Laughs] I don’t know how easy it’s going to be to get another job. But it’s exciting to get back into the game. It takes time and I’ll have to be patient.

TVLINE | My dream scenario: You get snatched up by a cute sitcom. I hear ABC’s Cougar Town is looking for a girlfriend for Bobby Cobb… Just sayin’!
Are you kidding?! I would love to do a sitcom, especially something where I could be goofy. I love, love, love, love comedy.

Comments (29)

• hope leo and greenlee end together

Comment by Sami – August 8, 2011 05:50 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I’d like to know what stars will commit to the web show? diane

Comment by diane – September 15, 2011 04:20 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Her view and her attitude is the closest to what I feel, and it’s nice to see someone finally express it. Sure, it would be great for AMC & OLTL to continue forever, but I’ve been watching the decline of the soap genre for more than a decade and I (as she put it) have wrapped my head around it.

The more I hear about the PP deal, the more I think it is doomed to fail at the starting gate. I saw a story last week that now says the shows will relaunch “in the first quarter of 2012″. That could be March 31st! It’s getting grimmer and grimmer by the report, and I think a lot is going to hinge on these talks with the unions, because they are NOT about to let their membership take the drastic cuts in pay that would be required to move the shows online.

I’m starting to believe the conspiracy theorists who are wondering whether this whole Prospect Park deal is just a big ruse to quiet the soap fans until the shows are off the air, and then they can just…never…come…back. It sounds crazy, I know, but come on. It wouldn’t be the craziest thing thing we’ve ever heard in the world of entertainment (especially when ABC can maintain plausible deniability).

Regardless, I’m a soap fan, so I’m doomed to…stay tuned…

Comment by TV Gord – August 8, 2011 07:03 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I totally agree! I’ve been thinking the same thing since they suddenly announced this whole thing! It’s just a pacifier to keep people quiet! Time will go by then they’ll say the plan fell through! I’ll only believe it when it happens!

Comment by lipstickcat – August 10, 2011 08:40 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • She’s right. They have really struggled with writing Greenlee since Leo’s death. Her most meaningful relationship has been with Kendall. Her romance with Ryan has never been as meaningful as Brian Frons would like viewers to believe it is. I think the fact that she’s left the show twice has been proof of her dissatisfaction with how Greenlee had been written. Ideally, I would love if in the investigation of David, Greenlee leaves the show to search for Leo. In a way, it would give her her gumption back. If the show does continue online, then another character can acknowledge that she found him and they’re living in peace. I think that would ring true for the character.

If the show does succeed in airing online, it would be a great opportunity to clean house. There are some characters who I love, but haven’t been treated fairly. I would rather seem them ride off into the sunset, so to speak, rather than subject them to more disappointing writing.

Comment by Morgan – August 8, 2011 08:02 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I like Rebecca, but if she was really meant to be a primetime player her big break would have happened during those long years when she wasn’t on AMC.

And dear comment, this comment :”… it’s even more difficult to picture the fictional Pine Valley without reformed badgirl Greenlee Smythe.” AMC can be easily imagined without her (exhibit A: the 70s, 80s and early 90s. Exhibit B: 2006-2009)

Comment by Eli – August 9, 2011 12:19 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Thanks for continuing to cover the soaps. I wish Rebecca all the best and do hope she finds a niche in primetime. Her honesty is refreshing.

Comment by lipsticksocialism – August 9, 2011 05:37 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I agree, I am not an AMC fan but love GH and Y & R. Any respect shown to any soaps makes me happy.

Comment by Denise – August 9, 2011 11:42 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I’m a HUGE Rebecca Budig fan. I started watching All My Children when Marcy Walker (who I loved from Santa Barbara) returned; though I only knew her as Eden. I’ve kept watching because of Greenlee. I stopped watching when she left and started again when she came back. She was great at the comedy and when she’s with Erica, watch out! Her return has not been the best but I still each her scenes, if none of the others. That said, the last few weeks the writing and stories have gotten more compelling.

Comment by eric – August 9, 2011 08:37 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Love RB and can definetely see her doing something on prime time. I have not cared for how the writers have watered down her character so much. She was at her best going toe to toe with Erica and I loved her with Leo.

Comment by Lori – August 10, 2011 07:35 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • It wouldn’t have surprised me if “General Hospital” was to be discontinued as the writing and acting is pretty bad; but “All My Children” and “One Life to Live” (although not as great as they used to be) should be revamped and continue on. I especially enjoy Greenlee and Kendall’s relationship. One thing I would like to see on a soap is a relationship that lasts a while!!!

Comment by Suzee – August 11, 2011 04:05 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Thank you rebaca budig I am so happy for you and I love how you play greenlee and I love how you and Kendall are BFF I love the show so thank you Rebecca from your big fan have a good day

Comment by Katie – August 12, 2011 07:12 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • It’s going to take a miracle for me to break a 40 year ritual of watching AMC. I started when I had my first child and he’s now 40.
    This is going to be like loosing a BFF. I can’t believe ABC thinks
    another “cooking show” is going to keep viewer interest. I know I won’t be watching “The Chew” I’m so hoping “Prospect Park” is a reality to all the faithful AMC viewers and the show can resume. I love all the actors on AMC and feel ABC has made a big mistake!

Comment by m paul – August 14, 2011 03:49 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Hear, hear. Could not have said it better. Won’t watch the chew- just out of principle!!!

Comment by guilty pleasures – August 30, 2011 05:12 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • So sad it is ending I havewatched since 1976, I will deffinately not watch the chew,I am going to be having withdrawl system sfor quite some time . Everyone is like family. I would have loved to have met them all

Comment by Diane Boston – September 14, 2011 09:46 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • i agree with you all the way. all those years and its gone the chew chews hog fat and AMC MADE THE BIGGEST MISTAKE OF THEIR LIVES. with all the dedicated fans over the years we deserved better.

Comment by cel drex – October 24, 2011 08:35 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I understand how the two shows have struggled but didn’t execs see this coming years ago? Couldn’t they have made better business decisions about cutbacks and changes years ago? For us oldies, ie, ones having watched for close to 40 years, PLEASE stay on air, any-air. I hope actors who are negotiating for higher pay read these comments – we need you! Taking AMC and OLTL online is the perfect solution! I’d even PAY a fee to keep them on air – anyone else?
    And I SO agree with Mpaul about another X@&# cooking show. Are you kidding?

Comment by MegE – August 20, 2011 04:02 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I love AMC, been watching since 02′, what will I do from noon to 1pm? Will miss my bffs, online viewing could be interesting

Comment by Davy – September 2, 2011 04:54 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • The loss of AMC is devastating. I’d never encountered a soap at all until 1984, when I went on a three-month maternity leave with my first child. As my sister had raved about “her soaps” for years, I decided to commit to one soap. I selected AMC because one of the lead writers at the time was Wisner Washam, who’d grown up in local, & at the time very small Cornelius, NC. My parents (those many years ago) had roomed with his family after they first married, back in the late 1930s. It absolutely amazed me that someone from Cornelius would end up writing for a soap opera (ie, where did he get his raw material?) I’ve watched AMC, & only AMC, all these years. Around 1993, when I was working on a Saturday, I discovered that Walt Wiley was making an appearance in a south Charlotte NC store. I managed to hire a substitute, & my husband picked me up to make the 40-mile trip with two small kids in tow. Sadly, Walt had left the store about 15 minutes early because a teen had burst into tears when there were no publicity photos left. Wow, what a missed opportunity…..:)) After working for the Public Library of Charlotte & Mecklenburg County for 37 years, I retired in 2009. Now to possibly lose all my “friends” on my only soap, is very unsettling. Some of the best acting on TV, & it will soon be gone. Thanks for letting me post this. Nancy D

Comment by Nancy Dishman – September 8, 2011 09:51 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • OOPS….I forgot to say that Mr. Wiley left early in order to take the distraught teen & her mother to a movie to calm down the situation…..

Comment by Nancy Dishman – September 8, 2011 11:37 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • i dont have to write any more. you said it all. and i agree with every last word u said ty

Comment by cel drex – October 24, 2011 08:41 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • All My Children, One of the best soaps on the Planet. I am extremely upset with ABC Daytime for being so THOUGHLESS about canceling AMC and One Life to Live. I will be sure to make sure NO tv in my house on when the CHEW is on. WHAT a joke. Rebecca Budig is a huge reason for my LOVE Of AMC. Greenlee will go down as one Soaps Greatest. See is a ONE in a TRIlLION like Susan Lucci, and Vanessa Marcil and Laura Wright. Thank you Prospect Park for stepping in and saving our lives. I PRAY you become 100 Fold Successful with your move of AMC and OLTL and make ABC REGRET the day they tought they could cancel our soaps and walk away with a win. THE CHEW……. Seriously…..NO REALLY SERIOUSLY ?? Go GreenLee… Love you and will be a huge fan until Jesus returns.

Comment by Damon – September 20, 2011 10:48 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I, too have been a fan of AMC since 1972 when I was visiting my grandmother for the summer! Yes, my grandma watched the show back then. I got my parents to watch back in the days of no vcr. They would babysit my kids while I was at work and they would ALL watch the soap and tell me what happened! Fast forward all of these years. Four generations of my family have watched this show and I have no idea how we are going to make it without Pine Valley! lol This weeks wrap up of families and stories has given me a few tears and laughs! I hope that I will be able to tune in online with all of the shows and truly all of my children!!
    BTW–I absolutely refuse to watch a cooking show!

Comment by Nancy – September 21, 2011 12:35 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • It all boils down to GREED! It’s disgusting. I really have believed for a long time that ABC is behind this story about PP taking the soaps online. I wish it was happening but I’ll believe it when I see it. So, I have a question……..
    Do you think there will ever come a day when All My Children would be released on DVD? I know it would be a huge undertaking, but honestly, I’d buy every. single. one.

Comment by Christina – September 21, 2011 01:08 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I would certainly buy them. It’s probably more realistic that they could be accessed through an online library one day. I would be blissful even if they just posted some of the most popular story arches from over the years! At least there’s youtube for now.

Comment by MIcah – March 25, 2012 06:54 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I have been watching AMC since 1979. I’ve seen so many great actors come and go. What great storylines they have had on this show. I will definately miss the character Dr. David Hayward. I was so upset when they killed his character off. I was hoping they would bring him back like they have done many times in the past with other characters. I will miss this soap and all the people who have worked so hard keeping us entertained.

Comment by Ernie – September 22, 2011 04:27 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I am a busy woman with two jobs but thank God because I could tape the soaps or see it in the evenings on Soapnet I was able to continue watching.
    Some times you have to teach an old dog new tricks….put AMC on Soapnet or the internet…..I will be there to watch….After all who would have thought writing on the internet would have become so popular or music videos….Lets move on and Keep all my children into the new medium.

Comment by Diana – September 23, 2011 12:15 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • The most boring aspect of All My Children is Greenlee and Bryan. Both of those characters are shallow, one-dimensional and ego-driven. Every scene they have, whether together or with other actors, the viewer knows what to expect. It’s all about “me, me, me.” Rather disgusting. I would be happy to see both Rebecca and Lavery out of the show. Their characters follow the same boring cycle, and frankly, neither of them every gets the consequences they deserve. Keep as many of the remaining cast as possible, except for those two.

Comment by Peggy – September 24, 2011 01:41 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I’m 49 years old and I have been watching AMC ever since it started just as I have with OLTL and GH. I hate 1pm now a days and I do not and will not watch the new show The Chew. If AMC does come online I’ll do my best to be online watching. Thank god with the New TV’s you can hook up your computer to the TV and watch AMC on TV if it does make it online. I’ve loved all three shows on ABC and will miss them all if all three is taken off and never return. But I won’t ever forget all of the people that’s been on all the shows, but AMC the most. I’ve always loved watching Greenlee. Love you RB and hope to see you back on TV. If possible would love to see her on NCIS or any of the LAW and ORDER Shows. She would be very good on those or any sitcom shows on TV.

Comment by Bobby – October 28, 2011 08:59 AM PDT  Reply To This Post