Scoop: Law & Order Alum Reprises Role on SVU

Court is back in session for former Law & Order “mothership” ADA Michael Cutter over on NBC’s SVU.

L&O original flavor actor Linus Roache is set to reprise his role as the aforementioned cutthroat attorney in the 13th season premiere of the legal drama (airing Wednesday, Sept. 21). Cutter is now Bureau Chief of the DA’s office, a position that just so happens to oversee Special Victims Unit cases.

“I am very happy to be bringing Michael Cutter back to life and exploring how he has evolved into his new position of being a bureau chief and possibly even a mentor,” Roache says in a statement. “I think Special Victims is going to be an area where Cutter’s passion for justice can really come forth.”

New SVU showrunner Warren Leight has a few thoughts on the character, too: “If Cutter was a bit of a hot head in the past, the passage of time and some added responsibility in his new job has made him more mature, and perhaps a bit more jaded.”

Thoughts on the Law & Order alum popping up on SVU? Any others you’d like to see?

TAGS: , , , ,
GET MORE: Casting News, Fall TV Preview, News

1. With his return it’s criminal if Diane Neal (ADA Casey Novak) Doesn’t become a regular! And lets face it, she looks good in the credits.

2. Culby says:

How bad is it that I misread the headline and thought a L&O Alum was going to make an appearance on NTSF:SD:SUV::?

3. Max says:

I’d like to see Terrence Howard & Alana de la Garza come to SVU (from Law & Order: LA – which NBC axed, prematurely). Howard rocked in SVU: Reparations more so than he did on LOLA. Plus it gives Mike/Connie fans some insight on their ‘split’ (Mike staying in NYC, Connie going to LA to be w/ her mother). But this is great news! SVU is finally adding the words “Law & Order” back in it’s title! (If it took Chris Meloni/Neal Baer leaving SVU to retool the show, it should have been done LONG ago.)

• HGFM says:

Please don’t bring those two onto SVU for any reason. Terrance Howard was terrible in both LOLA and Reparations. He had no idea what he was doing. SVU has had enough bad lawyers that it doesn’t need to import them. And since Connie moved to LA, it wouldn’t make any sense to bring her back to NYC. Just leave her there.

4. Lorie says:

Awesome news!

5. Alex says:

I like this. I’m not totally getting exactly what SVU is doing with their lawyers though

• HGFM says:

Cutter will be Bureau Chief like Donnelly was before they made her a judge. Cabot and Novack will be ADAs for SVU with him as their direct boss. McCoy would still be the DA unless TPTB have him voted out of office.

6. JFo says:

Good news. I always liked Cutter. Now add Corey Stoll as a guest star or recurring character and I’ll be happy. (he doesn’t have to be TJ from LOLA, but I would love to see the detective again.)

7. Ace says:

Will they bring back Alana de la Garza, too? Weren’t she and Cutter a couple on L&O, or was that just really good costar chemistry?

8. Stella says:

Whoohooo! This is great news! Even more reason to watch SVU!

9. flutiefan says:

i agree with others, get Corey Stoll and Alana de la Garza in this one, and i will be much more okay with the loss of Chris Meloni…

10. Skylar says:

All the characters from LOLA are boring, unattractive and one-dimensional. I really hope they aren’t planning on bringing ANY of them over to SVU. And all though the court scenes can be somewhat entertaining, I don’t want SVU to turn into the original Law and Order. What separates SVU from the others is A) the characters B) the cases and C) the action. I want the ACTION! Not the bitchy Alex Cabot parading around the courtroom like some know-it-all. I do love Casey though, and I look forward to SVU getting back its ‘order’ but I don’t want it to overshadow the rest of the show. DON’T turn this into the Mothership!

• HGFM says:

While I will agree that no LOLA character should come over to SVU, I disagree that SVU shouldn’t return to the original format. It needs the court scenes as long as they are well written and realistic. They haven’t been for years. Why? Because it is not enough to figure out who committed the crime if you can’t get them convicted and jailed. That wouldn’t have happened in any of the cases in the last 5 seasons. They would all have been thrown out of either Superior Court or by the Appellate Courts due to the incompetence of the detectives or the ADAs.
      Less ACTION and less STUPIDITY.

• Jessica says:

If you hate SVU, the actors, and the characters so much why do watch the show? I’ve seen your comments on other posts related to SVU and you obviously hate it with a passion so why waste your time? Is it just because you have no life and need to trash talk other people (and shows) to make you feel more superior or is there some other hidden reason?

• HGFM says:

I don’t hate SVU, just the mess Neil Baer made of what it. The show used to be well written and well acted except for Hargitay. She has always been the weakest actor of the regulars. But starting in Season 7, the quality of the writing started downhill. Mostly because the writers stopped doing their research. In particular they ignore the laws of New York and the United States. Or worse, they decide to rewrite the laws to fit what they want their story to be. That’s just bad writing and there is no excuse for it.

• Jessica says:

Mariska is NOT the weak link. In fact, she is probably the only reason SVU is still on air (that and her chemistry with Chris) and if you seriously believe that, I suggest you get some help.

11. Ella says:

I echo every one else….bring back Alan de la Garza. I must say, though, I am actually enjoying these developments for SVU. Definitely is making me tune in, for the first few at least

12. linderella says:

This is great news and I still see an opportunity for Alana de la Garza to return to NY which would be totally awesome! I agree with those singing the praises of Corey Stoll – he would be welcome addition to SVU in any capacity.

13. Nancy says:

Wow, am I happy! Linus Roache is a fabulous actor and Michael Cutter was one of the best additions to the L&O cast. I loved that he brought an edge and ruthlessness to the DA’s office, and his chemistry with all of his fellow actors is remarkable. Am going to love to see him mix it up on L&O:SVU, would particularly love a Cutter/Munch exchange, or a toe-to-toe with either Cragen or Benson. This is a win for the franchise after the devastating loss of Chris Meloni. My faith is restored!

14. Dav says:

What’s with all the people wishing for de la Garza to return? Nothing against her or her character but this would take more screen time away from either Diane Neal or Stephanie March. Fans (myself included) have been begging for their return for ages. We finally got what we wanted…don’t spoil it now!

15. Evan Meadow says:

Someone find a reason to bring back Sam Watterston while they’re at it as McCoy. I’d love to see a story where he needs to get involved with SVU.

• Lyndsey says:

Yes! I kept waiting for him to show up all last season! I hope this means he’ll show up at some point this season!

16. JohnDoe says:

More Jack McCoy please.

17. Davey says:

I wish they would just call this show Law and Order again and get rid of SVU entirely. And bring back Vincent D’Onofrio and Kathryn Erbe for recurring guest roles.

• Ashley says:

I don’t. All the other Law and Orders suck. I really can’t stand VD and KE and Goren and Eames are incredibly annoying! SVU is the best part of the franchise, no doubt!

18. cakes says:

This is AWESOME NEWS! SVU was always my least favourite of the franchise but with Linus Roache onboard, I will definitely be watching regularly. All they need now is to find a way to bring back Alana De La Garza and Jeremy Sisto.

19. Nicole says:

I really like this! He will be a great Bureau Chief. I could care less that Meloni isn’t coming back. Give me Alex Cabot in the courtroom and I’ll be happy. I’m so glad they’re finally going back to the ‘Order’ side of the show again. I had long grown tired of the Benson and Stabler bs show. Maybe we’ll finally get back to what this show is supposed to be about.

20. JIMMAY says:

THEY SHOULD BRING BACK THE ORIGINAL LAW AND ORDER. NBC HAS NOTHING BETTER ON ANYWAY

21. michelle says:

Yeah! Finally – was waiting for Mike Cutter to reappear at some point! I hope its for more than the one episode!

22. Jax says:

How about everyone stop trying to recreate the other shows and just DEAL with the fact that SVU is the only one left. We are finally on the road to recovery with Alex and Casey returning. Let’s just be happy for that.

23. Sandy says:

Cutter’s back? I’M back!

24. Deena says:

Wow, they are really pulling out all the stops to hang on to fans with Chris Meloni gone. Have to say it’s kind of working. I was happy to hear Alex and Casey were coming back but I LOVE Mike Cutter. I don’t think I can turn away with him on.

25. Jackie says:

i am very glad to hear that Linus Roche is returning to Law & Order..i enjoyed his turn as Mick Cutter very much….i’d love to see Sam Waterston bring back Jack McCoy..McCoy was such a passionate da and played to such perfection by Mr. Waterston

26. Elizabeth says:

I was so thrilled to see him in the opening episode of SVU. Hope to see him more often. Love Mike Cutter.

27. Elaine says:

More Mike Cutter. Yes Yes Yes!!!

28. Eadie says:

Any news on bringing back for roles with Anthony Anderson and Jeremy Sisto,

29. qbana says:

Bring back Connie Rubirosa (Alana De La Garza)! She and Cutter had amazing chemistry.

30. beckie b says:

who cares who they bring back…. without chris, the show is losing millions of viewers. get him back with mariska asap.