Al Gough Sizes Up Smallville Finale, Michael Rosenbaum's Bid to Be Angels' Charlie

If Michael Rosenbaum has anything to say about it, Smallville fans will hear a very familiar voice bossing around ABC’s new Charlie’s Angels – though he is unlikely to land the gig, in the wake of Robert Wagner vacating the role.

“Rosenbaum keeps sending me voice tapes to be the voice of Charlie — seriously,” Charlie’s Angels executive producer Al Gough — aka one of Smallville‘s original shepherds — revealed with a chuckle after the ABC show’s Television Critics Association summer press tour panel.

Gough’s reaction to the overture? “I think [Michael] might be a little young,” he shared, “but we’d love to have any [Smallville alumni] on the show.” (Props to TheTVAddict for raising that topic with Gough.)

Speaking of Smallville: Gough copped to not keeping up on the show, especially during the past year as he groomed ABC’s Angels, so he “thought a lot of [the series finale] was confusing.” But, he allows, “It’s hard to wrap up any show that’s gone 10 years, and I think they did the best they could.”

Gough confirmed for me that back when he and Miles Millar (also an EP on Angels) first launched Smallville, “The final image was always [Clark Kent] suiting up [as Superman] and flying away — but back in the day there was going to be more of thing with him and Lex (played by Rosenbaum)…. It all came down to the Lex-Clark dynamic.” Gough said that even though “it was always a dance” with Warner Bros.’ feature film division as to how much Superman imagery the TV series could evoke, he and Millar always had the green light to, when the time eventually came, bust out the Supersuit and send Clark to the sky.

1. Lisa says:

Michael Rosenbaum would be a fun choice but my vote is for someone with an iconic voice – like Morgan Freeman.

• darclyte says:

I still think Lee Majors would be a great choice. Not only his voice, but his connection to the history of Charlie’s Angels since he was married to Farrah when she was on the show.

2. Lynn says:

I wish he’d never speak of Smallville, the show was so much better when he and the other hack left. What an ass

3. Rachel says:

Smallville totally jumped the shark after Al and Miles left. Would love to see (hear) Rosenbaum and the other Smallville alums on Charlie’s Angels.

4. Kevin says:

^^^
    Holy batman read what it says:

“Gough copped to NOT KEEPING UP ON THE SHOW, especially during the past year as he groomed ABC’s Angels, so he “thought a lot of [the series finale] was confusing.”

Well NO DAH it would be confusing if they didn’t watch the past season (or the several seasons after they left)

Not much of SHOCKER here folks. Move on.

5. Chris says:

Why not Daddy Luthor instead? John Glover would be great. Or Robert Forster. Or if they wanna go a completely different route, Dennis Haysbert has a great voice that could be cool.

6. Bo says:

Gough is confused because there wasn’t a temple dedicated to the deification of Lana Lang in the finale. Peterson and Souders decided to build an enormous altar for the worship of Chloe Sullivan and Tess Mercer/Luthor instead.

• Captain says:

Lana Lang was epic. Accept that.

• Shawn says:

Exactly. I’m one of those people that actually liked Lana (Kristen Kreuk) she’s actually one of those actresses that improved with time. I stopped watching Smallville after Lex and Lana left. I tuned in when Kristen returned for 8 episodes (also, why I didnt get that she couldn’t be in the finale she’s apart of the show as well, even if she didnt tie into the Superman comic book story) I didn’t like how the writers left Clark and Lana’s storyline, it didnt tie up nor did it make sense for him to be suddenly so into Lois (but they were following the comic book story, also Erica and Tom had no chemistry, and I never really got into Lois and Clark like I had the comics). Smallville wasn’t good for a while but I’m glad they ended it before it became a mess.

• Maddie says:

Tom and Erica have no chemistry? Even Tom Welling himself has said that he and Erica got on so well together that they needed to remind themselves that Clark and Lois weren’t supposed to so much. But we all see what we want to see.

• Ryan says:

Ahh, maybe they got along as friends because as romantic interest I just couldn’t or didn’t see it, either. *shrugs*

• Kalie says:

Tom Welling and Erica Durance had fantastic chemistry. They were a joy to watch. Also, Clark wasn’t ‘suddenly’ into Lois. The relationship was built over several seasons and Lois realized she had feelings for him first. It took Clark a little while longer to figure it out.

• Muffy says:

Erica and Tom had more chemistry than anyone else on the show. Smallville’s Lana Lang was the worst character on the show and Chloe was Lana Lang, period.

• Maddie says:

Kristin Kreuk seems like a sweetheart in real life but her Lana Lang was an epic whiner! But hey, if bursting into tears and throwing temper tantrums at the drop of a hat floats your boat, Lana’s available, go for it!

• Val says:

Yep, and of course Chloe, Tess and yes, Lois deserve to be looked up to and be role models because they are strong women. They don’t *need* to be saved.

Lana was a horrible character and AlMiles’ obsession with her was downright creepy. She was a Mary Sue and she had no backbone unless it was necessary for whatever plot.

7. alison says:

When I 1st saw the headline I thought it said “Al Gore Sizes Up Smallville Finale.” =)

8. Vincent says:

You can’t complain about a tv show you abandoned. Same thing that happened with Gilmore Girls and what’s her name. She wanted more money, she ditched then complained.

9. mmac80 says:

You go, Al! Smallville finale was indeed a huge pile of MESS!

• Maddie says:

Unfortunately, I have to agree.

• Lori says:

I understand why were they confused, I think they were like “why isn’t Clark pinning in his barn and playing with his ball? and why on earth is he in the Daily Planet working as a reporter? Who give him permission to think for himself instead of running to Chloe? and why is this couple smiling and saving the world instead of talking about their trust issues? Why isn’t everything Clark’s fault? WHAT THE HELL IS THAT?

• Matt says:

You win comments section.

• Ann says:

Ha! So true. I always liked the show, but I got sooo tired of the constant back and forth between Lana and Clark. You knew they weren’t going to end up together, since Superman and Lois Lane are such an iconic couple, but Clark and Lana were constantly forced down our throats. Lana was fine for the first couple of seasons, but then she became increasingly insufferable, so full of herself and unable to make her mind up about Clark. The Clark/Lana relationship should’ve ended for good once she hooked up with Lex.

• Muffy says:

Go, Lori : )

• Michelle says:

Complete and utter WIN.

10. Carrie says:

Couldn’t he have said something a little nicer than ‘They did the best they could’? It sounds like more of an insult than a compliment. I think they did a terrific job with the finale and frankly, the show improved greatly when the new showrunners took over. Season 7 was my least favorite and I thought that was it for the show, then Seasons 8, 9 & 10 became the very best. Since he’s the one who decided to leave, maybe he could be a little more gracious towards the people who kept the show going for 3 more years and improved it rather than ruined it. If Gough had his way, Lana and Clark would probably still be having their angst-filled meetings in the barn at the end of every episode.

• Dough says:

If most people had their way, Lana and Clark would still be having their angst filled meetings in the barn. I didn’t care about the romantic pairings (I just got Deja Vu alot from everyone seeming to have a name that beings with “L”) but the show didn’t approve or go downhill after Al left. It just stayed in the same field to me. On one line not going up or down.

• Maddie says:

@ Carrie. Unfortunately, instead of angst-filled Lana and Clark we got angst-filled Lois and Clark. Maybe that’s why Gough was confused about the finale – not the couple they’re used to being all annoying and angsty.

• Kalie says:

Clark & Lois weren’t nearly as bad as Clark & Lana. At least there were a lot of lighthearted, comedic moments between Clark and Lois. Clark and Lana were always so serious and dramatic. Lana was always begging him to tell her the truth about himself, whereas Lois wasn’t putting any pressure on him, she didn’t trick him in order to find out what he was hiding, and she allowed him to just do his thing and tell her when he was ready. Anyway, it’s all kind of beside the point. Anyone who knows anything about Superman knows that he ends up with Lois Lane, not Lana Lang. Once she joined the show, you knew that they would be paired up eventually.

11. SnazzyO says:

A finale at the end of S7 that focused on the Lex/Clark dynamic would have been better than the hot mess we got.

• Maddie says:

The Lana witch arc in season 4, most of seasons 5 – 7 and the Super-Lana arc in season 8 should be shoved into an airtight drum and torpedoed into the Marianas Trench. What a toxic waste of time.

12. KenBud says:

Doubtful … but man do I wish Patrick Stewart would be the voice of Charlie.

13. Helena says:

^^ Oh, Patrick Stewart! Awesome idea! He has the greatest voice.

But yeah. Al is his usual jerk self in this interview. First, he’s basically laughing at MR, then he says he didn’t keep up with SV, and he topped it all off by saying the finale was confusing and they did the best they could.

14. Jones19 says:

Rosenbaum does have a very good voice, he can be very commanding but I don’t get a lot of warmth though.

15. tamara says:

Tired of people saying this or that season was better. When this person left, when that person left…Blah, blah blah! Yada, yada, yada!

The show SUCKED in its entirety! Period. It was a sucky show, with a sucky lead, and some other sucky actors. Not saying all of them sucked, there was talent, but Smallville sucked big time.

(—Cue all the fans going after me.—)

16. Lauren says:

They should have him on as a love interest then, if they don’t want him as Charlie. To be fair about the last episode not being much about the Clark/Lex thing, Rosenbaum wasn’t available to do more than he did. The Clark/Lex scene was the best in the finale, IMO.

17. Val says:

Thank God they left, Smallville became soooo much better after them. He needs to STFU and go back to his other show and leave Smallville alone. The finale wasn’t dumbed down like most of the crap he and Miles wrote.

18. kelly says:

Al Gough really needs to stop giving an opinion on Smallville. He’s starting to look bitter.

• Ann says:

I agree. It makes him look bad when he says things that sound negative about a show he left. Maybe he thought it would tank w/o him, but it continued for three more seasons.

19. Sivat says:

Someone should have asked if the new Charlie’s Angels takes place in the same fictional universe as the original series and movies. I wanna know if there’s a chance Drew could appear as Dylan or Kate Jackson as Sabrina.

• Danielle H. says:

I doubt it. I don’t think they want this version to be as campy as the movies, and I think they are trying to reinvent it from the original. Could be wrong though.

20. Richie says:

• Steve says:

Well, the witch stuff was a bit much and the Lana drama was also a bit overdone, but I absolutely agree with you that Peterson and Souders built things up every season and didn’t deliver. Season 10 was all about coming into the light and Clois getting married — neither of which happened.

21. Rich says:

They should give Bobcat Goldthwait a shot

22. Mena says:

Honestly, the fact that Gough and Millar are involved in Charlie’s Angels makes me definitely NOT want to watch. AlMiles’ obsession with Lana Lang ruined the first seven seasons of Smallville for me. AlMiles made the show more about Lana than about Clark! I think the reason Gough disliked the Smallville finale is because Clark and Lex didn’t spend all their time arguing over which one of them loved Lana the most. And I’m calling it now: AlMiles will find a way to incorporate Kristin Kreuk into Charlie’s Angels, and then Kristin’s character will become the Mary Sue of the show.

• BROOKLYN says:

“AlMiles’ obsession with Lana Lang ruined the first seven seasons of Smallville for me”…..yeah, right….and “KellyBrian’ obsession with Lois ruined the last two seasons of Smallville for me!!

• Jay says:

If only that were true about Lois. It seems to me that Souders and Peterson were actually obsessed about hooking up Chloe with Oliver and glorifying Chloe and Tess. They were always gushing about those characters. Lois and Clark? Not so much.

• lll says:

I agree with you, Jay. Al and Miles were not obsessed with Lois at all, but neither was Kelly and Brian. It was more about Al/Miles obession with Lana and Kelly/Brian’s obsession with Chloe. Not so much Tess, though. Look how they treated her in the finale. The character of Lois got shafted on both ends.

23. Eliza says:

Lois and Clark ‘s relationship was the best thing about Smallville. Their chemistry was off the charts. After Miles left the show got better, and yes he definetly was obsessed with Lana. Gross!!!

• Adam says:

Two people insulting eachother while smiling and bantering back and forth does not chemistry make. I’ll be the first to admit they had good romantic chemistry, but only in the VERY few and far between moments they were ACTUALLY intimate with eachother. Every other time was just insult, smile, insult, smile, insult, smile. Not to mention, Souders and Peterson did more damage to Lois and Clark than they could ever recover from. Clark chooses Lana over Lois (dumbass), then Lana can’t be around Clark anymore because of kryptonite poisoning, then Clark goes right back over to Lois, cause he can’t be with Lana. WTF?!?! Clark and Chloe was the most solid relationship on the show… until, Souders and Peterson got their hands on that too. They ruined the series in three seasons, with a MASSIVELY EPIC Failsday crecendo of the finale. It sucked. We lost Lex. Darksied was the LOST Smokemonster (which, by the way, was harder to beat than this guy), and there was NO wedding, which was what the whole half of the season had been building to. ANYTHING Al and Miles’ would’ve given would’ve been better than that.

• Natie says:

Oh look the lame attempt to make Chloe Bad ass, and mad at Clark..Chloe Sue = worst character in television history, she actually makes me long for dear Lana!
        Al & Miles find the Smallville finale confusing? because Clark is not pinning for Lana or asking Chloe how to tie a shoe. Al claimed to want a Clexier finale but considering the source, that might have meant more love triangle BS.
        Such a wonderful opinion he has of Superman!

• Melissa says:

I wouldn’t say “insult/smile” has no chemistry…Ever watch Moonlighting? Remington Steele? Early seasons of Scarecrow and Mrs. King? That 70’s Show (Hyde and Jackie)? Buffy the Vampire Slayer (Buffy and Spike)? There are plenty more examples of this dynamic. Granted, things could have been done better on Smallville, like actually seeing Clark and Lois get married and fly into the sunset with Tom Welling in the super suit, but Lois and Clark historically have that kind of relationship. Lois sees herself as more adept than the small town Clark and assumes that he is a hayseed farm boy with no real world savvy. Watch Superman I for goodness sake! I do agree with a better development and closure from Lana before moving onto Lois, that made Clark look a little dogg-ish and Superman should be portrayed as shallow or ungentlemanly.

• Melissa says:

CORRECTION
          that made Clark look a little dogg-ish and Superman should NOT be portrayed as shallow or ungentlemanly.

• Adam says:

Like I said, their best chemistry was when they were intimate with eachother. The end scene of the episode ‘Lucy’ from season four is a great example of this. They’re intimate, emotional, and yet, still playful. It was a perfect balance. But those moments almost NEVER came in the series. I mean, they spent whole seasons barely crossing eachothers path for four seasons. And then I’m expected to believe that Clark and Lois love eachother? That’s total bullcrap. Intimacy does love and truly great chemistry make, NOT banter. And in SMALLVILLE, Clark and Chloe had those moments in massive supply. Not Lois and Clark. Look, just saying that Clark and Lois weren’t displayed as the iconic love they were supposed to be. They were treated more like they were supposed to be together, rather than they needed to be together, and that is complete and utter laziness in writing.

• Adam says:

You’re forgetting that Jackie and Hyde were at their best when they intimate. Either way, I don’t watch crap that relies completely on banter to fuel a realtionship. This is, in fact, the EXACT reason why I can’t ship Jim and Pam.

24. jubejubeju says:

Charles Shaughnessy *IS* the voice of Charlie. Or at least he should be.

25. Turtle says:

//I have no complaints about the 1st 7 seasons under Gough and Millar but even though I loved the direction that Peterson and Sounders took Smallville…they build up every season where its leading to a great ending and they never delivered. From Doomsday, to Zod then to Clark becoming Superman….They striked out on everyone of them. Horrible ending.//

You are absolutely correct. Souders and Peterson wrote some good episodes as staff writers, but as showrunners they dropped the ball on all their finales. I didn’t enjoy the direction they took the show, but I was excited at least for the series finale. It was horrible, though.

I’m not too interested in Charlies Angels, but I like Al and Miles and wish them well. Rosenbaum would make a great Charlie, too. He does great voice work.

26. jeff ceragno says:

I miss it already………..damm bummer

27. Steven Brock says:

How about Keith David. He has a very iconic and unique voice. He would be great as Charlie.

28. Drew says:

The show did get better once they left. Season 8 and 9 were pretty good… probably the best of the series. Season 10 was a mess though. They constantly dropped plotlines for weeks and the continuity from episode to episode was horrible. The characterization of the main enemies was bad. There was too much emphasis on making real world political jabs which made no sense within the Smallville universe. The finale was a disappointment. The Darkseid stuff made no sense and it threw off everything else that the show had been building to.

So yeah, the show was better without the original showrunners… but the finale was still a mess.

29. Reality Check says:

Why not Michael as Charlie? That would be awesome!

The folks and fans of this show need to set their expectations a little more reasonably as far as the recast of Charlie. Just sayin…

30. Julia says:

I agree with what he says about the Smallville finale. There should have been MUCH more Lex (and a lot less mind wiping – how ridiculous). For so much of a show to be centred around Clark and Lex, and then almost not mention him at all in the finale, is kind of strange to me. I thought Smallville was great with these guys on board, and it quickly went downhill when they left.

31. Mark says:

How great was Smallville? This great: It had all those episodes with Lana and was still great. How great was it? It lost the fantastic Michael Rosenbaum to his hope of greener pastures (and perhaps some boredom with the character?) and was still great. The finale was always going to have a big burden, but I felt it handled that burden pretty well. How many shows that last that long actually have a truly great finish? Answer: virtually none. The endings of so many are so terrible (M*A*S*H, Cheers, St. Elsewhere, Friends, Seinfeld quickly come to mind). The Smallville finale did the job and did it well. After all those years, I was still sorry to see the show go.

32. Jennifer says:

i completely agree. i was in love with smallville for the first seven seasons. then, after gough and miller left, the show went downhill from there and i could not WAIT for it to end. i feel that the demise of lex luthor was way premature and it pretty much ruined the show for me. and in the very end how they tried to bring him back was just cheap. i hated how they tried to throw all these new twists in from out of nowhere. it degraded the quality of the show. tess LUTHOR? come on. in spite of how everything turned out, i was pleased with the series finale and i hope smallville remains as big of a show as it deserves.

33. Ka says:

“did the best they could”

LOL what an obnoxious statement

Of course it’d be confusing to anyone who didn’t watch the show for three years…

Smallville went on for three more seasons after Kristin, Michael, AND Al Gough and Miles Millar left, and it did just fine without them. Not saying you have to like the show, just saying you have to face the facts…and seriously, stop being bitter.

34. ema says:

i enjoyed the show better when lois came on, lana was always too emotional, but with lois, it was more fun and still enough emotion.

35. Shosh says:

I really like the Clark and Lex Luthor chemistry. The show changed a lot after Lex left.

36. tom says:

Obnoxious Lois ruined the show! Nuffsaid!

• Anna says:

Lolz, and let me guess: if Lana stayed it would’ve been a hundred times BETTER?
      Okay, yeah, you need a pair of glasses, and not just for disguising purposes… Lois was the BEST thing that happened to Smallivlle, she actually brought a fun side of Clark Kent and didn’t need to be rescued every five minutes. Oh, and she didn’t whine. She sucked it up and dealt with it.
      My opinion? Bitter Al because Smallville was SO much better after he left. Oh and for all the Lana fans out there, here’s what KK had to say about Lois: “To have Lois Lane is one of the best ideas from the creators of Smallville, It’s a great element. The show is more and more devoted to the mythology, to Superman, it was like a new day in Smallville. I think it’s great.” – Kristin Kreuk (Lana Lang), Tele Cable Magazine Interview

DONE!

• Jay says:

The awesome Lois saved the show. She even made the previously unappealing Clark Kent look attractive for a change. With Lana, Clark tended to look like a whiny wimp and Chloe just made him look mentally challenged. Lois made Clark look confident and sexy. Nuffsaid!

• sarah says:

i hate lois,, i love lana,, she was the real love of clark kent’s life, lois was just a replacement

37. Diana Jean says:

I enjoyed the relationship between Clark and Lois much more than the Lana storyline. I love how Lois was Clark’s friend for so long before they had a romantic relationship. As far as the way the series ended,I’m glad lana wasn’t brought back. Kristen Kreuk herself said she didn’t want to because she felt there was no place for Lana. Clark’s time with her had passed. The Legion did say she would go on to do great things on her own. The one character that I thought should have been in the finale was John Jones.I liked that character and I don’t recall seeing him after the Checkmate story. Of course,I would have loved to see Lex in it more in the whole tenth season.The episode about the engagement party was too funny. Watching Clark lose his coordination when he tried to run off was great and Olliver”Drag” Queen was hilarious. I really wish it all would have moved on to a Justice League show but I think some of the cast was over it after 10 years. It was still a great show!:)

38. Michelle says:

I just how a post about Charlie’s Angels devolved into a debate about Smallville. lol

• Jay says:

It’s the comment about the ‘confusing’ Smallville finale that encouraged it. And, as always, a debate about Smallville always degenerates into Lois vs Lana. That’s Gough and Millar’s true legacy – the genesis of mean-spirited Lois and Lana bashing (mainly by Chloe fans).

39. Ray says:

The show lasted for 10 years. How many shows have done that? on top of that it was the longest running show about The man of steel. Stop drinking your hateraide and move on.

40. SP says:

Oh I must have missed something, because after the first couple seasons – there was little Lex-Clark dynamic as promised. Yes indeed, the premise was SUPPOSED to be about CLARK and LEX, however Al/Miles’ incessant worship with Kristin Kreuk shifted the focus to her and pushed Lex/MR aside. Lana was the WORST part of the entire show and the over-emphasis on featuring her proved vastly detrimental to the other characters and show dynamic, including and especially the Lex & Clark parallels and relationship. Around late season 2 until season 5-ish, the show became VERY unbalanced due to the constant pressure of forcing Lana/KK into every single storyline, situation, relationship, etc. THAT is what messed up the original Lex&Clark dynamic. And now Al Gough talks as if it was just something that happened and he has no idea how that dynamic changed. Just wow.

41. sarah says:

I LOVE LANA LANG AND CLARK KENT’S LOVE STORY, SHE WAS LIKE AN ANGEL IN CLARK’S EYES, AND I LOVED THAT, THAT WHY AS SOON AS LANA LANG(AKA KRISTEN) LEFT, I STOPPED WATCHING… I DID’NT EVEN BOTHER GOING BACK TO WATCH THE SHOW WHEN KRISTEN GUEST STARRED FOR 8 OTHER EPISODES, BECAUSE I KNOW SHE WOULDNT STAY , SO HELL WITH LOIS WHATEVER LANE, I HATE FOREVER AND ALWAYS. GRRRR, THEY SHOULD HAVE KILLED HER CHARACTER, LIKE MAKE HER FALL DOWN A SKYCRAPER OR SOEMTHING,…

42. lll says:

The relationship of clark and lana went on for so long that it damaged the relationship of clark and lois. Clark and lana have chemistry but the constant will they-wont they struggle got old real fast, not to mention the guest stars that are so obsessed with lana that they want to convince the audience to love her too. When clark and lois came around it was forced and rushed. Chemistry takes time to bulid and there was some from lois’s end but not clark’s. They didn’t have enough time to convince the audience that there was something there that it doesn’t look real. Too bad. The writers ruined both clana and clois while pimping lana’s love, lois’s physical strength, chloe’s smarts, kara kent being stronger than clark and tess mercer’s ‘lex clone act’ to the max. They also made clark and oliver look dumb as a result.