TCA Awards: Friday Night Lights, Mad Men, Modern Family and Game of Thrones Win Big

Get More: Awards, News, TCA Press Tour

Friday Night Lights scored a touchdown at the 27th Annual TCA Awards. The DirecTV/NBC series was named Program of the Year by the Television Critics Association at a ceremony held Saturday evening at The Beverly Hilton.

The event, which was hosted by Parks and Recreation scene-stealer Nick Offerman, honored HBO’s Game of Thrones with the Outstanding New Program title. ABC’s Modern Family took the award for Outstanding Achievement in Comedy for the second year in a row, while Mad Men topped Outstanding Achievement in Drama for the third time. AMC’s ’60s series also garnered star Jon Hamm honors for Individual Achievement in Drama.

Offerman, meanwhile, did not go home empty-handed. He and Modern Family‘s Ty Burrell both won Individual Achievement in Comedy.

Oprah Winfrey received the Career Achievement Award for 25 influential seasons of The Oprah Winfrey Show. The Dick Van Dyke Show was honored with the Heritage Award, which was accepted by creator Carl Reiner and stars Rose Marie and Larry Mathews.

A complete list of winners is below:

Individual Achievement in Drama: Jon Hamm (Mad Men, AMC)

Individual Achievement in Comedy: Ty Burrell (Modern Family, ABC) and Nick Offerman (Parks and Recreation, NBC)

Outstanding Achievement in News and Information: Restrepo (National Geographic Channel)

Outstanding Achievement in Reality Programming: Amazing Race (CBS)

Outstanding Achievement in Youth Programming: Sesame Street (PBS)

Outstanding New Program: Game of Thrones (HBO)

Outstanding Achievement in Movies, Miniseries and Specials: Masterpiece: Sherlock (PBS)

Outstanding Achievement in Drama: Mad Men (AMC)

Outstanding Achievement in Comedy: Modern Family (ABC)

Career Achievement Award: Oprah Winfrey

Heritage Award: The Dick Van Dyke Show

Program of the Year: Friday Night Lights (DirecTV/NBC)

Comments (49)

• COMMUNITYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Comment by Douche – August 6, 2011 09:10 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Someone please explain to me why Friday Night Lights was not renewed???

Comment by mike – August 6, 2011 09:12 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Because FNL never had good ratings, or a decent amount. It was suppose to be cancelled in its second season, but DirectTV and CBS were being generous and decided to keep it on. I guess they couldn’t waste any more time and money on something that wasn’t paying it forward (literally), regardless of the shows high quality.

Comment by Derek – August 7, 2011 06:34 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • It was NBC, not CBS. At least we got 5 seasons of FNL, though! 5 seasons is a pretty good run for a quality TV show, period. It’s just a shame that it was always a ratings pariah — people really don’t know what they missed with this show!

Comment by Cat – August 8, 2011 01:00 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • While the ratings weren’t excellent, they also creatively made a decision after their 2 year renewal to end the show in season 5. They told the story they wanted to tell and it was a great one. Of course, now there may be a movie which I’m equally excited about and dreading lol

Comment by Mike – August 8, 2011 07:02 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • You can blame NBC for that.

Comment by danny philbrookd – August 9, 2011 05:53 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Please explain it to me, too!!!

Comment by Lynette – August 11, 2011 08:15 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • FNL FTW!!!!

There is a season 6. There is a season 6. There is a season 6. If I say it enough eventually it will come true.

Comment by April – August 6, 2011 09:13 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • We will have to wait for the proposed FNL movie, I’m hoping for lots of Taylor Kitsch in it as well as his other movies that are coming out starting next year.

Comment by Teetering – August 7, 2011 08:58 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Nope – too late. Taylor Kitsch has cut his hair. Sigh…..

Comment by Joan Dunn – August 9, 2011 09:51 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I wish Parks and Recreation won over Modern Family. I watch both and think Parks is far superior… MF was crazy inconsistent last season, while Parks hit it out of the park each episode.

Comment by Annika – August 6, 2011 09:16 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Agree, completely.

Also hoping one day Community will receive some love.
      Parks & Rec and Community are two of my favorite comedies ever. And both shows have such an amazing cast!

Comment by Elizabeth – August 6, 2011 09:48 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Yes, I agree! I watch both. And P&R is better than Modern Family. Modern Family wasn’t good its second season and it was inconsistent. Also, it seems like its the same episode over and over again. I missed 5 episodes before the finale and I felt like I didn’t miss anything. I really hope Modern Family dosen’t win the Emmy. :/

Comment by Derek – August 7, 2011 06:37 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Maybe the television critics have to vote based on wider appeal. I love P&R, but I’ve had a hard time getting people I know to watch it more than once (they say they “don’t get it”). More of them “relate” to MF.
      Their loss.

Comment by Ladyhelix – August 7, 2011 12:56 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Modern Family and Parks and Rec were great this season. As long as either one of those two won, I’m happy. In my opinion, Modern Family is a little better than Parks and Rec, but just a little. They’re virtually tied for best comedy on tv on my list.

Comment by Justin – August 7, 2011 06:27 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I agree as well. If we were talking the 2009-2010 season, both shows were fantastic, but last season, P&R was definitely the better show. MF had a really uneven season, and P&R had its best to date.

Comment by Nicole – August 8, 2011 07:54 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • *Cues “Devil Town”*

Comment by Julie – August 6, 2011 09:16 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Tony Lucca sang that acoustic at a show he did in Boston. Perfection. :)

Comment by Meg – August 6, 2011 09:19 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • Acoustic should be a cappella. My bad.

Comment by Meg – August 6, 2011 09:20 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • I still remember Tony Lucca as Keri Russell’s real life boyfriend and co-star on ‘Malibu Shores’, which I LOVED when I was 18. I love his version of ‘Devil Town’ so much – I still get shivers when I hear it.

Comment by Nicole – August 8, 2011 08:10 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Soooooo happy for my FNL!!!! Will miss this A+ quality drama in my TV schedule!!! Clear Eyes, Full Hearts, Can’t Lose!!!! Texas forever!

Comment by Natalie – August 6, 2011 09:16 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Natalie,
      Great remarks. We need more writing like Friday Night Lights. They had great writers, cast, directors and Austin set for the filming. Maybe the FNL writers will collaborate on some other material.

Comment by Mamere – August 8, 2011 09:19 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • You go, Hammy!

Comment by Petra – August 6, 2011 09:21 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Game of Thrones – YAY!!! Truly quite outstanding!!

Comment by Kay – August 6, 2011 09:37 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Yay for Game of Thrones. I love, love love the show. And I have started the books (which I’m also am loving).

And yay for Nick Offerman. Hands down one of the funniest men on tv! Much love for him.

Comment by Elizabeth – August 6, 2011 09:52 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Uh… Terriers anyone? I thought it was the darling of the critics. This list is the same old stuff. What a bore.

Comment by Rockette – August 6, 2011 10:07 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Too many award ceremonies.
    What a ridiculous PAT ON YOUR BACK profession.
    It dilutes the meaning.

Was much better when all we had was Oscars, Tonys, Grammys, Emmys.
    Now there are approx 497 different award ceremonies for music, tv, theater and movies.

RIDIC!

Comment by GiveMeAbreak – August 6, 2011 10:08 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • omg!! i totally use ridic!! i feel like a fool everytime i do, but i still use it. i blame it on scrubs.

Comment by tigersmurfette – August 7, 2011 12:10 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I agree, I’m still not even sure of the significance of this award ceremony. It’s to the point where people can just start up awards ceremonies in their basements and they count for something LOL.

Comment by Danielle H. – August 7, 2011 03:46 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • So glad to see Masterpiece: Sherlock receive the notice it deserves. It was probably the most avant garde, original show of 2010. Hope they do more. And yet everyone is talking about FNL, MadMen, & Community. Sigh.

Comment by qbic – August 7, 2011 01:14 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Sherlock is the only one I watch of all the shows listed in this article. I do agree with the Heritage Award for The Dick Van Dyke show, however. Pardon my low brow taste.

Comment by Templar – August 7, 2011 08:02 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I liked Sherlock too, but avant garde? Oh please. A bit pretentious, wouldn’t you say?

Comment by Brett – August 7, 2011 10:18 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Friday Night Lights :’)

Comment by Courtney – August 7, 2011 02:56 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • GAME OF THRONES FTW!!!!

Community is to streets ahead for awards.

Comment by João Amaral – August 7, 2011 03:35 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • So happy for Sherlock. It is, by far, the smartest and most interesting series to be made in a long time. Can’t wait for the next three episodes.

Comment by MM – August 7, 2011 04:43 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • So happy for Sherlock…it deserves every award it’s gotten and more. Best show of 2010, easily.

Comment by Saerwen – August 7, 2011 04:51 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • FNL should have won best drama as well!

Comment by annie – August 7, 2011 05:34 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Yay for Sherlock. And YES they are filming the second round of three as we speak. Should be fascinating.

This show deserves some press — it’s an outstanding modern take on the classic. I find they are very faithful to the characters and yet plausible for the current era. And they use the old stories with a new twist. Lovely work. Outstanding acting — Benedict C. and Martin F. are fantastic as Holmes/Watson.

Comment by SnazzyO – August 7, 2011 07:04 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • They are filming? SWEET! I figured they would be all caught up in the filming of the Hobbit movies for a long time. This is good news to me.

Comment by Renee – August 8, 2011 05:26 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Modern Family!!!!!!!

Comment by cg – August 7, 2011 10:13 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Does the person who called Sherlock ‘avan garde’ even know what the term means?
    Amazing show, for sure, but it’s in it infancy whereas FNL has beenchanging the face of primetime for years without getting its due.
    SO happy for Jason Katims and his amazing team!

Comment by alex – August 7, 2011 10:55 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Congrat Friday Night Lights and Sherlock!!

Comment by Renee – August 7, 2011 11:08 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Parks & Rec for all the awards!!!

Comment by Linda – August 7, 2011 11:13 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • So, so, happy that FNL is getting the due it deserves. One of the best shows ever. Period. Wish Parks and Recreation had won for comedy – it is genius, but at least Nick Offerman won in the comedy category. He is brilliant and amazing. (I love Ty Burrell and he is my favorite part of Modern Family, so happy for him too.)

Comment by Amy – August 7, 2011 11:35 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • So glad Nick Offerman and Ty Burrell won. They are definitely the two funniest men of television, in my opinion.

Comment by Justin – August 7, 2011 06:28 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Sorry but this to me is proof why critics BLOW! Chuck was able to get enough fan appeal to get renewed and even a final season! That to me is enough to take more than FNL which was CANCELLED! maybe theyll give Chuck the awards next year after their gone:)

Comment by Binarydaddy – August 7, 2011 04:31 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • You do understand that Chuck just got renewed for a FIFTH and FINAL season. FNL did that TWO years ago (with a two year renewal which Chuck never had) and just aired their FIFTH and FINAL season. By your definition, your show is going to be CANCELLED in its fifth season, just like FNL. I love Chuck, maybe if it lives up to a standard of excellence set by FNL, it will have its just reward at the end of the day, as did FN>

Comment by HWah – August 7, 2011 10:08 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Why weren’t any women given acting awards? There are plenty of actresses giving incredible performances in both comedy and drama; it’s a shame none of them were rewarded.

Comment by jgd123 – August 7, 2011 08:28 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Based on the name of the acting award, it seems that they don’t split it out by Male/Female. It’s tough to argue with who won the awards though. They’re all fantastic at what they do.

Comment by Mike – August 8, 2011 07:07 AM PDT  Reply To This Post