TCA Awards: Friday Night Lights, Mad Men, Modern Family and Game of Thrones Win Big

Friday Night Lights scored a touchdown at the 27th Annual TCA Awards. The DirecTV/NBC series was named Program of the Year by the Television Critics Association at a ceremony held Saturday evening at The Beverly Hilton.

The event, which was hosted by Parks and Recreation scene-stealer Nick Offerman, honored HBO’s Game of Thrones with the Outstanding New Program title. ABC’s Modern Family took the award for Outstanding Achievement in Comedy for the second year in a row, while Mad Men topped Outstanding Achievement in Drama for the third time. AMC’s ’60s series also garnered star Jon Hamm honors for Individual Achievement in Drama.

Offerman, meanwhile, did not go home empty-handed. He and Modern Family‘s Ty Burrell both won Individual Achievement in Comedy.

Oprah Winfrey received the Career Achievement Award for 25 influential seasons of The Oprah Winfrey Show. The Dick Van Dyke Show was honored with the Heritage Award, which was accepted by creator Carl Reiner and stars Rose Marie and Larry Mathews.

A complete list of winners is below:

Individual Achievement in Drama: Jon Hamm (Mad Men, AMC)

Individual Achievement in Comedy: Ty Burrell (Modern Family, ABC) and Nick Offerman (Parks and Recreation, NBC)

Outstanding Achievement in News and Information: Restrepo (National Geographic Channel)

Outstanding Achievement in Reality Programming: Amazing Race (CBS)

Outstanding Achievement in Youth Programming: Sesame Street (PBS)

Outstanding New Program: Game of Thrones (HBO)

Outstanding Achievement in Movies, Miniseries and Specials: Masterpiece: Sherlock (PBS)

Outstanding Achievement in Drama: Mad Men (AMC)

Outstanding Achievement in Comedy: Modern Family (ABC)

Career Achievement Award: Oprah Winfrey

Heritage Award: The Dick Van Dyke Show

Program of the Year: Friday Night Lights (DirecTV/NBC)

1. Douche says:

COMMUNITYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

2. mike says:

Someone please explain to me why Friday Night Lights was not renewed???

• Derek says:

Because FNL never had good ratings, or a decent amount. It was suppose to be cancelled in its second season, but DirectTV and CBS were being generous and decided to keep it on. I guess they couldn’t waste any more time and money on something that wasn’t paying it forward (literally), regardless of the shows high quality.

• Cat says:

It was NBC, not CBS. At least we got 5 seasons of FNL, though! 5 seasons is a pretty good run for a quality TV show, period. It’s just a shame that it was always a ratings pariah — people really don’t know what they missed with this show!

• Mike says:

While the ratings weren’t excellent, they also creatively made a decision after their 2 year renewal to end the show in season 5. They told the story they wanted to tell and it was a great one. Of course, now there may be a movie which I’m equally excited about and dreading lol

• danny philbrookd says:

You can blame NBC for that.

• Lynette says:

Please explain it to me, too!!!

3. April says:

FNL FTW!!!!

There is a season 6. There is a season 6. There is a season 6. If I say it enough eventually it will come true.

• Teetering says:

We will have to wait for the proposed FNL movie, I’m hoping for lots of Taylor Kitsch in it as well as his other movies that are coming out starting next year.

• Joan Dunn says:

Nope – too late. Taylor Kitsch has cut his hair. Sigh…..

4. Annika says:

I wish Parks and Recreation won over Modern Family. I watch both and think Parks is far superior… MF was crazy inconsistent last season, while Parks hit it out of the park each episode.

• Elizabeth says:

Agree, completely.

Also hoping one day Community will receive some love.
      Parks & Rec and Community are two of my favorite comedies ever. And both shows have such an amazing cast!

• Derek says:

Yes, I agree! I watch both. And P&R is better than Modern Family. Modern Family wasn’t good its second season and it was inconsistent. Also, it seems like its the same episode over and over again. I missed 5 episodes before the finale and I felt like I didn’t miss anything. I really hope Modern Family dosen’t win the Emmy. :/

• Ladyhelix says:

Maybe the television critics have to vote based on wider appeal. I love P&R, but I’ve had a hard time getting people I know to watch it more than once (they say they “don’t get it”). More of them “relate” to MF.
      Their loss.

• Justin says:

Modern Family and Parks and Rec were great this season. As long as either one of those two won, I’m happy. In my opinion, Modern Family is a little better than Parks and Rec, but just a little. They’re virtually tied for best comedy on tv on my list.

• Nicole says:

I agree as well. If we were talking the 2009-2010 season, both shows were fantastic, but last season, P&R was definitely the better show. MF had a really uneven season, and P&R had its best to date.

5. Julie says:

*Cues “Devil Town”*

6. Natalie says:

Soooooo happy for my FNL!!!! Will miss this A+ quality drama in my TV schedule!!! Clear Eyes, Full Hearts, Can’t Lose!!!! Texas forever!

• Mamere says:

Natalie,
      Great remarks. We need more writing like Friday Night Lights. They had great writers, cast, directors and Austin set for the filming. Maybe the FNL writers will collaborate on some other material.

7. Petra says:

You go, Hammy!

8. Kay says:

Game of Thrones – YAY!!! Truly quite outstanding!!

9. Elizabeth says:

Yay for Game of Thrones. I love, love love the show. And I have started the books (which I’m also am loving).

And yay for Nick Offerman. Hands down one of the funniest men on tv! Much love for him.

10. Rockette says:

Uh… Terriers anyone? I thought it was the darling of the critics. This list is the same old stuff. What a bore.

11. GiveMeAbreak says:

Too many award ceremonies.
    What a ridiculous PAT ON YOUR BACK profession.
    It dilutes the meaning.

Was much better when all we had was Oscars, Tonys, Grammys, Emmys.
    Now there are approx 497 different award ceremonies for music, tv, theater and movies.

RIDIC!

• tigersmurfette says:

omg!! i totally use ridic!! i feel like a fool everytime i do, but i still use it. i blame it on scrubs.

• Danielle H. says:

I agree, I’m still not even sure of the significance of this award ceremony. It’s to the point where people can just start up awards ceremonies in their basements and they count for something LOL.

12. qbic says:

So glad to see Masterpiece: Sherlock receive the notice it deserves. It was probably the most avant garde, original show of 2010. Hope they do more. And yet everyone is talking about FNL, MadMen, & Community. Sigh.

• Templar says:

Sherlock is the only one I watch of all the shows listed in this article. I do agree with the Heritage Award for The Dick Van Dyke show, however. Pardon my low brow taste.

• Brett says:

I liked Sherlock too, but avant garde? Oh please. A bit pretentious, wouldn’t you say?

13. Courtney says:

Friday Night Lights :’)

14. João Amaral says:

GAME OF THRONES FTW!!!!

Community is to streets ahead for awards.

15. MM says:

So happy for Sherlock. It is, by far, the smartest and most interesting series to be made in a long time. Can’t wait for the next three episodes.

16. Saerwen says:

So happy for Sherlock…it deserves every award it’s gotten and more. Best show of 2010, easily.

17. annie says:

FNL should have won best drama as well!

18. SnazzyO says:

Yay for Sherlock. And YES they are filming the second round of three as we speak. Should be fascinating.

This show deserves some press — it’s an outstanding modern take on the classic. I find they are very faithful to the characters and yet plausible for the current era. And they use the old stories with a new twist. Lovely work. Outstanding acting — Benedict C. and Martin F. are fantastic as Holmes/Watson.

• Renee says:

They are filming? SWEET! I figured they would be all caught up in the filming of the Hobbit movies for a long time. This is good news to me.

19. cg says:

Modern Family!!!!!!!

20. alex says:

Does the person who called Sherlock ‘avan garde’ even know what the term means?
    Amazing show, for sure, but it’s in it infancy whereas FNL has beenchanging the face of primetime for years without getting its due.
    SO happy for Jason Katims and his amazing team!

21. Renee says:

Congrat Friday Night Lights and Sherlock!!

22. Linda says:

Parks & Rec for all the awards!!!

23. Amy says:

So, so, happy that FNL is getting the due it deserves. One of the best shows ever. Period. Wish Parks and Recreation had won for comedy – it is genius, but at least Nick Offerman won in the comedy category. He is brilliant and amazing. (I love Ty Burrell and he is my favorite part of Modern Family, so happy for him too.)

• Justin says:

So glad Nick Offerman and Ty Burrell won. They are definitely the two funniest men of television, in my opinion.

24. Binarydaddy says:

Sorry but this to me is proof why critics BLOW! Chuck was able to get enough fan appeal to get renewed and even a final season! That to me is enough to take more than FNL which was CANCELLED! maybe theyll give Chuck the awards next year after their gone:)

• HWah says:

You do understand that Chuck just got renewed for a FIFTH and FINAL season. FNL did that TWO years ago (with a two year renewal which Chuck never had) and just aired their FIFTH and FINAL season. By your definition, your show is going to be CANCELLED in its fifth season, just like FNL. I love Chuck, maybe if it lives up to a standard of excellence set by FNL, it will have its just reward at the end of the day, as did FN>

25. jgd123 says:

Why weren’t any women given acting awards? There are plenty of actresses giving incredible performances in both comedy and drama; it’s a shame none of them were rewarded.

• Mike says:

Based on the name of the acting award, it seems that they don’t split it out by Male/Female. It’s tough to argue with who won the awards though. They’re all fantastic at what they do.