Exclusive

Exclusive: House's New Season Will Pick Up [Major Spoiler Alert] Later!

Talk about burying the lead. In my House preview story earlier this week, series creator David Shore told me that Season 8 “will start months after Season 7.” What he neglected to reveal was how many months the show would be jumping forward: Twelve!

As in an entire year, people.

Shore dropped the bombshell on me Friday night at Fox’s oceanfront press tour party in Malibu.

“The advantage of going forward a year is that everything’s changed,” he revealed, “and changed dramatically. “

And how.

Among the major developments (if you haven’t already heard): House is in prison, serving a sentence for inflicting carmageddon on Cuddy’s house; there’s a new Dean of Medicine, and he/she is someone viewers know well; and House’s diagnostics team has undergone a facelift.

The big leap also gives House — and Princeton-Plainsboro — time to adjust to life after Cuddy (Lisa Edelstein). “I think it’s a smart idea [in light of the fact that] Lisa left the show,” noted co-star Jesse Spencer. “I think it was kind of necessary to do that. If we picked up right where we left off and Cuddy wasn’t there it [would be strange].”

TAGS: , , ,
GET MORE: Exclusive, Fall TV Preview, News, Scoop, Spoilers

1. Luc says:

For once these comments reflect more maturity and thought than the usual shipping rants and fangirl tangents. There is more thought-provoking dialogue that is more representative of this fan base than the petty bickering. These are the types of comments TPTB should read.

2. Susanna Grey says:

I guess Taub will have two kids then???

3. Marion says:

This is just plain “jump the shark” lame. They set up a very unlikely season finale, and then instead of dealing with the situation realistically, they jump a year ahead? As a viewer, I find this very unsatisfying. The whole car crashing scenario was dumb. There was nothing in the relationship that would make it plausible.

4. Jay says:

You know Ive been wondering how they were gonna pull off a decent opener and I think they did the right thing. I mean without a time-skip how would they deal with Cuddy’s departure? It would just be so sloppy. At least we know what happens without actually having to see her. And the Huddy thing was getting old. Thank God thats over. Interested in new cast mates and Dean of Medicine. Also I love how House fans “claim” they’ve given up the show but you see a mind-bogglin amount of comments. Whether you like it or not your gonna be in front of the TV 8:00 pm every Monday. Like theres anything else on TV. Even with its problems House M.D. is still the smartest show on television. Nuff said.

5. Amanda says:

Really people…it’s a tv show…give it up and either enjoy it or don’t watch it…it’s as simple as that!

6. Maddie says:

Unfortunately I think House has jumped the shark

7. yesenia says:

I loved house I really thought was the best show in the world , I remember missing work just to watch it @8…
    I didn’t like last season the new girl made the show extremely uninterested I stopped Watching . Now I was hoping we would start fresh… But I see there won’t be a season..I am very dissaponted In the writers and producers.
    Bring back the old cast and I and sure you can think of tons on new deaseses. To unlish. Tx a huge fan . Yese

8. yese says:

I agree with u . But its not working so that’s,why I didn’t watch last season . Glad u still enjoy it .

9. yesenia says:

You couldn’t of putting it in better words. After being the BEST SHOW IN THE WORLD . Sad :(
    Hope hughes finds a show quick

10. Haydn says:

While I respect the candor and opinions of everyone I’ve read, I don’t quite appreciate anyone calling for the show’s cancellation. House is a brilliant show (you may not feel that way, but I do) and while all good things must come to an end, I do not wish this show to end any time soon. If you feel that way, please keep it to yourself, I find it quite hurtful that people would wish that a show which has provided me great enjoyment to cease simply because they no longer (or have never, in some cases) consider it watchable. Again, with all due respect to the candid and lively discussion, please leave all speculation/wishes out of the argument. Thank you.