First Look: Ashton Kutcher Makes Men Debut

CBS has released the first official image of Ashton Kutcher at work on the set of Two and a Half Men.

The shot — taken during Friday’s curtain call following the taping of the Sept. 19 season premiere — features (L-R) castmembers Marin Hinkle, Jon Cryer, Holland Taylor, Conchata Ferrell, Angus T. Jones, and Kutcher.

Ashton Kutcher’s Men Character Revealed!

Does the image offer any clues about the plot of the first episode? I think it does…

Does Taylor’s subdued wardrobe confirm reports that the premiere revolves around the funeral of her onscreen son (played by Charlie Sheen)? Might Cryer be in his PJs because Charlie’s entire existence was one big dream experienced by Alan? Hit the comments with your thoughts/theories!

TAGS: , , ,
GET MORE: Fall TV Preview, First Look, News, Scoop, Spoilers

1. Tiva4Life says:

The cast looks great and fresh….can’t wait.

2. april-ann says:

Pleased to see that this story is generating NO BUZZ WHAT.SO.EVER on tv message boards.

• Daniel says:

You should get a life. Actually, I’m just watching the series bacause of Kutcher. I hate Charlie Sheen.

• Daniel is not a smart cookie says:

You are not watching guy, you will watch; these episodes are not aired if you pay attention..
        And you “hate” so you hate somebody you don’t know..Well good for you..

• Mix says:

Charlie Sheen should be on The CW’s H8R with Daniel. LOL

• Grammar Police says:

Citation sir,
          For Daniel is not a smart cookie

It’s the first episode so “these episodes” is incorrect as there is only one.
          Also, should have been “this episodes has not aired”. Saying “these episodes are not aired” suggests they are being made for a private audience or direct dvd release or something.

Please make sure to read the ticket and comply with its instructions and don’t – PLEASE DON’T – drag this sad ass gag out any longer.

• april-ann says:

Oh, dear. You had me at “Citation sir”, but lost me at your first glimpse of incorrect grammar, you William Shakespeare wannabe. It should not have been “this episodes has not aired” as you remark. You are wrong about that. It is “this episode has not yet aired”, or “these episodes have not yet aired”.

Please make note to use correct grammar in the future and do not — PLEASE DO NOT — use contractions such as “don’t”, as those are not correct words. Please do not refer to yourself as “Grammar Police” any longer. Please display an element of class, and leave well meaning posters alone when it comes to correct or incorrect grammar.

• april man says:

I say’d two let the tyred gag dye.

• april-ann says:

And yet here you are Daniel, on a tv message board. *LOL*:)

3. Daniel says:

*because

4. xav says:

Ashton Kutcher needs a haircut.

5. Mimi says:

I wish Ryan Stiles had been on-stage. I like any ep he’s in.

6. sarah says:

Seriously Michael you think they will write that Charlie Harper existence was one big dream experienced by Alan ?! Wow and in this case how Alan will have had this dreamy Malibu beach house ? It is like changing all the premise and spirit of this show…I hope for them that it is not that otherwise all the audience will go away..

7. TV Gord says:

Alan is probably in his PJs because he’s crushed over the end of his dependency on Charlie (although I think only Berta will miss him more). Jake probably just wants Charlie’s room.

It’s disappointing that Ryan Stiles isn’t there. I hope he’s back this season.

8. louise says:

Charlie Harper as Tyler Durden..not a bad idea (the two characters were both some badass dudes) but like someone said it changes all the premise of this show..I will miss you Charlie Harper..

9. Poppy says:

The thing is, I really doubt Charlie Sheen cares either way. Yes, he will look like the fool if the show succeedes without him, but I don’t know any shows you have kept a steady audience after a main character or THE main character has left. I hope the show does well, and I know the ratings will be through the roof for the premeire but I don’t know about Ashton. He has some huge shoes to fill. And I for one don’t like his dopey dumb guy act. Still, Charlie Sheen is Charlie Sheen and he has pleny of money and no worries (lets just ignore his substance abuse).

• flutiefan says:

you don’t know any shows? how about “Valerie”? Edith Bunker?

• Templar says:

Not to mention every soap opera that went on for decades.

• Poppy says:

Soap Opera’s don’t compare to Primetime TV. There aren’t or haven’t been any successful shows on primetime that have lasted well enough after a main character has left.

• flutiefan says:

like i said, Valerie. lasted several years longer as Valerie’s Family and then The Hogan Family. you really need a new argument.

• Poppy says:

Well, considering I don’t know what Valerie is, maybe I could use another arguement as you could too. Valerie is all you could think of, I looked up the ratings. Its ratings drop after the lady (forgot her name) left. If Valerie was that succesful I would know of it, but then again I’m only 20 and not an old ass.

• flutiefan says:

ok, then how about Cheers. heard of that one?
            All in the Family? Charlie’s Angels? or are we all “too old” for your snarky juvenile ass?

and yes, Valerie’s ratings went down, as do many shows over the years. the fact that it stayed on for several years past Ms Harper leaving is testament to the fact that it was SUCCESSFUL. and isn’t that what you were looking for?

• Poppy says:

Lol, who watched Cheers after Diane left? The show was missing something they couldn’t find in Kristey Alley. Charlie’s Angels? That show NEVER had good ratings, how long did it last, maybe 5 years (I think)? And to be fair Farrah Fawcett was replaceable and didn’t become a completely overrated sex symbol until after Charlie’s. All in the Family? Never seen it. Lol, snarky and juvenile eh? I like that maybe I’ll use that towards people who arent over 30 and remember shows like um, Valerie is it?

• OM freakin G says:

Poppy if you’re really only 20 and not an old ass – for the love of god stop texting while driving!!!!!

Also, escape from tv show whining land!! It’s only for the delusional and bitter old asses like me. Take up rock climbing or drinking mountain dew or whatever you young turks do these days.

• Templar says:

How about M*A*S*H? Trapper left, Henry Blake died, Frank Burns left, Radar left.

• flutiefan says:

Poppy, dear, sweet, juvenile Poppy. maybe i should give you a CURRENT show that lost it’s lead character. would that help, sweetheart? it’s called CRIMINAL MINDS. bye bye Mandy Patinkin, hello Joe Mantegna.

• Elly says:

stop the Valerie comparisons, she did last 2 seasons not freaking 8 seasons !! Her show was not based mostly on her eccentric personality, life style, do you compare her to Seinfield or Gregory House ? Get real..maybe the show will be alright with Ashton but come on don’t try to find some justifications with some lame Valerie Harper comparisons..Come on..

• Josh says:

Yes, but the show was called Rhoda. Who played Rhoda? Thanks.

• flutiefan says:

i don’t need to stop any comparisons. Poppy explicitly stated that no show has been successful after the star left. Valerie proves that wrong. The End.

• weird says:

Hogan Family is still a pretty isolated circumstance. And really that would be more like if Hugh Laurie left the show and they kept going.

Character that weren’t the title character but were major leaving shows has happened.

Angel left Buffy.
            Bobby left Dallas – yeah I know, he came back but still.
            Puala and Simon left Americ, lol no, just no.
            Edith left All in the Family – title/setting change there.
            Richie left Happy Days – yes, after Fonzie jumped the freaking shark (groan!)
            Kyra Sedgwick is leaving the Closer and even though they’re calling the new show with Mary McD something else it’s going to have a lot of the same characters so…

• cat says:

I like Ashton, but I hope he doesn’t play a dopey dumb guy either. I’m already turned off by the messy look, beard and long hair in the photo above. Looks like he might be playing a poor beach bum!!!

• TVLover says:

How about “Beverly Hills, 90210″. It lasted 10 years and half the original cast left! Brenda left after season 4. Dylan left after season 6…heck, even Brandon left after the beginning of season 9 and it still lasted another season. If any show proves that a show can go on without half the original cast, it’s that one…and that was on primetime. “Three’s Company” survived 3.5 more seasons after Chrissy left the show. While I agree that Cheers wasn’t nearly as good after Shelly Long left, clearly other people’s opinions were different or else the show wouldn’t have survived 6 more years. Smallville even survived 3 seasons after Lex Luthor left and four seasons after Lana left. One Tree Hill has remarkably survived for unknowing reasons with most of the original cast also gone. Clearly, whether or not you’ll enjoy the show with a new cast member doesn’t really matter when plenty of people will.

10. Damon says:

Say whatever you want about Charlie Sheen, he was brilliant in the show and I’ve been rewatching the 177 episodes of comedic gold and I just don’t know how he can be replaced. I’m however an open-minded human being and will keep watching as I love the rest of the cast and believe in the premise.

But please, people who haven’t watched the show shouldn’t go off saying Sheen was crap in his role, because, hey: obviously you don’t know.

• mary says:

I am looking forward to watch his next show: Anger Management, the guy is flawed but he is a freaking talented actor and rock star..his life style..hey every legendary rocker has or had the same outrageous (and even more outrageous) personal life as his.

• Kerry says:

This is my opinion as well! I so much LOVED TAAHM WITH Charlie Sheen and I can not imagine the show without him, but I am confident that the NEW show will be as funny as it was because of Jon Cryer and the other actors who always made a very good job, they deserve to be successful without Charlie because they are not responsible for what happened. I’m looking forward to the new show but one thing, though: That filthy hair from Kutcher looks disgusting. Sad that he won’t look at leat a little bit like Charlie, who always looked handsome.

• Gail says:

I agree with you, Damon. Charlie was a riot in TAAHM and I’m looking forward to seeing what Ashton brings to the table.

11. Kate says:

UGH! Kutcher looks rough! Scrawny and unattractive and we all know he can’t act who cast this guy? The rest of the cast doesn’t look bad though the kid playing Jake looks pretty geeky in those glasses.

I don’t see Rose so I guess they won’t be bringing her back this season which is a shame.

Then again, this season of Men is going to be a shame without Sheen! Chuck Lorre and WB have made a huge mistake cutting him lose. I hope the advertisers have the ability to pull their ads when the ratings start to tank!

• Matt C says:

Uh, Melanie Lynskey (Rose) is reported to be in the first episode reporting how Charlie died at the funeral. Several reports said she was in attendance amongst Charlie’s other ex-girlfriends.

12. Rob says:

Check out Kutcher with his arms out trying to look like the star! He should step back and remember he’s the new kid on the block and nowhere near as talented as the guy he’s been hired to replace. Kutcher acting so cocky is just gonna make it harder on himself when he kills the show.

• Eurydice says:

Well, he was hired to play the lead, so he is the star – and this was his debut which also makes him special. And what he’s doing in the picture is returning the applause to the audience – actors do that all the time. I’m not a particular fan of his and I wasn’t planning to watch the show, but the early reviews are that the audience really liked him, so maybe I’ll check out the first episode.

• flutiefan says:

laughable. you realize that this pic was almost certainly snapped when they were doing their curtain calls at the end of taping, wherein each cast member is introduced individually. this was the moment that they said Ashton Kutcher’s name, and both he and the crowd react. duh.

13. Doug says:

Charlie’s Angels did well after Farrah Fawcett left.
    Cheers did just as good ratings-wise, and was a much better show, after Shelley Long left and Kirstie Allie joined it (heck I liked it much better with her).

I have never watched Two and a Half Men and never will. It is just too sophomoric in its “humor”. I never liked it and especially am glad that Sheen is out of a job on it. He is the quintessential “Hollywood partier/playboy” who squanders his money on stupid things like drugs and alcohol. May his life go further downhill from now on.

• penny says:

Oh Doug bitter much ?…Ha !
      Charlie Sheen will be alright and will live his life as he wants with or without your blessing..get a life man.

• flutiefan says:

thank you Doug! i actually have seen the show many times (a few family members are fans) and you’re assessment is spot-on. now if they could get rid of Alan, the sniveling Jon Cryer, this show might stand a chance.

• Casey says:

Uhm…if you don’t like Two and a Half Men, then why are you even here commenting on an article ABOUT Two and a Half Men? Why waste your time?

14. Omar Khan says:

Ashton Kutcher CANNOT replace Charlie Sheen! Some of the comments here are hilarious. Talking about removing the main characters and filling their spots with new ones? Why not just start a new show with the new characters. Two and a Half Men is an awesome show and it can only be awesome with Charlie Sheen. Kutcher or anyone else cannot do justice to it.

15. Ev says:

I think one person doesn’t carry a show it’s a team effort and Charlie Sheen inflatted his ego to be too big to control. What he did to his fellow cast members, the writers and all the rest of the crew that work on the show was lousy. He made a fool of himself in the process and a risk for any other network show he might be on.
    The rest of the cast are more talented then you give them credit for and Charlie clicked with them because of their talent. He didn’t think of them when he burned his bridges with the network and the
    shows producers. I hope Kuthcher pulls it off and that the story line will be strong enough to carry the show. Charlie Sheen is a
    narcissist.
    DEFINITION Pathological narcissism is a life-long pattern of traits and behaviors which signify infatuation and obsession with one’s self to the exclusion of all others and the egotistic and ruthless pursuit of one’s gratification, dominance and ambition.
    I’M ONLY SAYING….

• Kerry says:

You are right with all you say, Ev, I am angry at Charlie as well because he did not think of any of his cast members or the crew who work long hours to make the show the success it was. A whole lot of them earn not nearly as much money as he did but he thought it nessecary to talk that crap and make all go downhill. That egoism can not only be excused with his drugs and alcohol, he never appologized to them, no he made a show out of his stupid behavior. I’m really angry at him because my beloved show won’t be the same anymore without him, and he knows that, unfortunately.

• the truth says:

all actors are narcissists, Ashton Kutcher included and even producers like Chuck Lorre..

16. Thelma says:

The past 2 seasons were unbearable to watch as the shows were a sad parodcy of Charlie Sheen’s real life. The only reasons I tried to watch were jake, Berta,and Ryan Sriles(sorry, forgot his character’s name)I really hope the show succeeds without CS. I wish him well in future endeavors but will I continue to watch 2 1/2 men without him

17. Jay says:

I was never a huge charlie sheen fan, I caught most of the two and a half men episodes in repeat on different networks. I did enjoy kutcher in that 70’s show, but the character that sheen played and the character of keels in that 70’s show couldn’t be more opposite…(aside for the fact that they both were usually trying to get laid.). Even though Charlie sheen is an alcoholic, egotistical man whore, he played the part of Charlie Harper perfectly because the character was written the same way…it was the part he was born to play…sometimes actors will observe and study for parts they will be playing, like shadowing a doctor to learn his routine, or living for months in England in order to make sure they get an accent perfect…all Charlie sheen had to do was go home. His home life was his character minus the kids. I might watch an episode or two to see how they removed Charlie sheen from the script and also to see how they are implementing the kutcher character…who knows it just might work out…look how many seasons charmed lasted after Shannon Doughrty lasted after she left the show…Maybe two and a half men will use the same premise that charmed used…they found out that they had a half sister…maybe kutcher is going to come in as a half brother to John cryer from a father who has very rarely been brought up in episodes. I know I’m running on but basically my opinion is Charlie sheen made the character of Charlie Harper work because the work was completely parallel to his real life nature. Maybe the new two and a half men will have a character that compliments kutchers acting ability just as much as the drunken, egotistical, man whore persona worked for charlie sheen.

• Templar says:

Hopefully they will have more episodes showcasing Berta, Evelyn and Jake and make it more of an ensemble show now.

18. Daryl Kearney says:

everyone talks about shows that charracters has been replaced but none of them was the mane writtin charatter. Charlie was the main person on the show, I give it a few months and it will be gone.

19. Todd says:

Reason he is looking scruffy (Ashton Kutcher), is because the story and character must match, In the 1st episode Ashton is introduced as a beach bum, then later gets cleaned up. More to follow. You got to start somewhere.

20. Jinko says:

A shave and haircut would make Ashton more attractive. He’s nice looking, but looks as dirty and scroungy as a homeless person. A razor and scissors would be a real improvement.

21. Pearl says:

That would be really funny

22. miguel says:

Me encanta como viste Ashton, me suelo fijar bastante en sus peliculas y va siempre a la Moda hombre. Un ejemplo a seguir!

23. TIGGER says:

i like charlie sheen aston kutcher sucks as charlie aston kutcher is better in other stuff