Shocker: Desperate Housewives To End in May

It’s a sad day on Wisteria Lane: Sources confirm that ABC will announce on Sunday at the Television Critics Association summer press tour that the upcoming 2011-2012 season will be the last for long-running Desperate Housewives.

For more details on this story, visit our sister site Deadline.com.

TAGS: ,
GET MORE: Cancellations, News, Scoop

1. xav says:

Not surprising. Eight years is a good run though.

2. LOL says:

Should have happened about 3 years ago.

• Matthew says:

ditto. Its followed the same trajectory as “House” has.

• Ty says:

YES! YES! YES! Reminds me of House, a show that out stayed its welcome. First of all, all of them are to old to be Houswives (maybe except Eva), more like Grandmas. The show just got ridiculous after a while ex: a killer on the block. Wtf? And Gaby’s kid getting switched at birth. Double wtf? Glad to see this show is adios. Felicity is a fantastic actor though.

• Alicia says:

Yeah, but House isn’t content with “just” 8 seasons (when HL’s contract runs out). At least DH recognizes (at this point) to quit while they’re behind. House will probably end up being canceled.

• Jason says:

I’d still nail them all!! Specially Hatcher!!!

• forrest says:

So this should be the cast of the remake of “The Golden Girls”. Then again, Betty White can make yet another comeback.

• jenna says:

house, DH, greys anatomy there are quite a few shows that seem to have outstayed their welcome

• alan from canada says:

Greys Anatomy has not overstayed it’s welcome. It’s just as good as ever except the occasional story line here and there otherwise I wouldn’t keep watching it….unlike Housewives which I gave up on three years ago.

• kim says:

are we watching the same show?? Greys has sucked ever since the end of season 3. Unfortunately I’m going to have to judge your (poor) taste with all of the recycling of story lines and lack of direction the show has. I sincerely hope it gets cancelled/ends so it can leave with at least a bit of dignity

• jamie says:

and you’re commenting on this story because…..

• Lisa says:

Agreed!

• godzilla_foil says:

Agreed too. Or maybe 4 years ago.

3. Kim says:

Too bad if the news is in fact true.. But maybe it’s good to end and not drag out the storylines too much..

4. SS says:

Should have happened the first season; while this was branded a comedy, I always felt the characters were the worst role models for young girls and I know a lot of young girls who watched. Hallelujah!!

• John says:

Isn’t the “these are terrible people” thing kind of the whole point of the show? It’s satire? Did these young girls you know ever have anyone in their life capable of explaining the concept of “context” to them? That not all behavior displayed in entertainment is necessarily endorsed?

That having been said, I’m not a viewer of the show but generally believe that shorter runs and creative peaks are better than endless, life-supported ones, so I think it’s a blessing for the writers that the show knows this early.

• MA says:

Realizing most parents don’t watch TV *with* their kids, it can also be used as a teaching tool; now that our kids watch it, we watch it as a family. There are some characters who are not the most upstanding moral role-models, but there are also some very down to earth good characters; look at the complete character (motivation, remorse, personality traits) not just snippets. I think the show is overall very well written – certainly witty. Every show has its good and not-so-good story arcs, but I look forward to DH every Sunday night. I can think of other shows on that are far worse and pander to our declining society.

• K says:

and the reason they needed to be good role models was because….. honestly I feel like the ‘you need to be a good role model to impressionable kids’ argument is such a cop out. If you’re a good parent and actually teach your kids it won’t matter what they see in the media, they’ll be able to make their own choices

5. Mellie says:

They had a good run, and now they’ll be able to tie things up well. I’ll miss my guilty pleasure show, but I’d rather see them go out smoothly than with a sudden drop.

6. Nikki says:

Not a big surprise… the ratings have been steadily dropping… At least they wised up and are giving it a proper send-off as opposed to just not coming back after the season!

7. Kelli says:

Seems odd – the cast is willing to stay, the show has enormous viewership worldwide and still makes ABC a ton of money. Its strange to me that they’d pull the plug.

8. Donna says:

Nobody I know watches this show any more.

9. mark says:

At one time this was my favorite show but it nees to be canceled it hasn’t be good for at least two seasons. Also ABC needs to cancel Grey’s Anatomy as well it hasn’t been for awhile now either.

10. Fred says:

11. Marc Klein says:

What’s the reason for the ending. Who’s decision wa sit.

12. Amy says:

I hope executives at ABC show the same Mercy to Grey’s Anatomy. That show is on it’s last legs and continues to slide both in quality and ratings each season. It would be the kind thing for ABC to do in ending it as well after this season.

• Michelle says:

THIS.

• Darcy says:

Couldn’t agree more. With Ellen and Patrick’s contracts up, now is the perfect time to end Grey’s.

ABC has great new dramas like Pan Am coming up and I think that if they’re any good they could easily become ABC’s new tent poles.

13. JC says:

I do love DH, but 8 years is a good run and at least (hopefully) it can go out on a high note. Shame that Cherry isn’t around, especially as its the last season. I wonder if he’ll be back at the helm if his other shows fail. Lets hope its a strong last season!

14. Larry says:

Not surprised at this. Since the show is over 100 episodes -it can still be sold in a hefty syndication package. Continuing the show with it’s high overhead to accompany the pay raises of the four main stars might seem to ABC as not a good business sense. Plus, the money they save by putting an end of the series could be better invested in new properties. This is strictly the way business is being run now in television. It’s all about saving money and still getting ratings. ABC probably is expecting “Housewives” to continue to slowly lose it’s audience this season -why invest in another when the ratings could be worse?

15. Liz says:

It’s time for it to end and now that this is officially it’s final season, I guess I will be watching it. I wish that Shonda Rhimes and the people behind Grey’s Anatomy had the same common sense to end a dying and far less impressive than it once was show.

16. ceebee says:

They NEVER should have gotten rid of Nicollette Sheridan!! She was the primary reason I started watching in the 1st place! Teri Hatcher has never had the same dynamic playing off any of the other characters! Big mistake – that…and the 5 year time jump!!!

17. Auds says:

This isn’t a shocker! The show should have ended a long time ago! It’s just past it’s prime, but at least they have a whole season to wrap it up, that’s more than most shows ever get!

18. dennos says:

My guess is this is just to try and get some bye for the new season. If thy pull in decent ratings it’ll be back.

19. Coeur says:

Awww lol,it should have ended 5 years ago. The storylines were sloppy, and bizarre. Dude being imprisoned in a basement,five year jump, Carlos going blind and magically having his eye sight back,and babies being switched at birth..like really???

20. Kevin says:

i’ve watched it from the beginning, but let’s be honest.. the show should’ve ended when the time jumped happened if not ebfore that. it’s gone downhill storywise. too the plots have become too farfetched.

21. Vince says:

The way last season ended made no sense.
    Anyway sorry to see this is the end

22. Emily says:

I dont really understand why people are commenting if they don’t like the show… Why waste time reading something you dont care about? but whatever. I happen to be very dissapointed.

23. Mark says:

Only 134 scripted prime-time shows have had 160 episodes or more in U.S. TV history (http://www.angelfire.com/trek/proutsy/). This show — which stopped being creatively consistent a good five years ago as many of you correctly noted — is lucky to join such classics as Step by Step, Matlock and Touched by an Angel (OK, OK, the last part was sarcastic).

Seriously, though, for a show that first jumped the shark by having a guy locked in the basement. Jumped the shark again by having a girl playing a brainwashed version of the woman’s real daughter. Jumped the shark again by having a plane crash into a block party. Jumped the shark again by having the neighbors get together to cover up a “murder” that requires no coverup.

It’s time. As it’s time for House and Grey’s. (Really, those two also have overstayed their welcomes.)

24. lk26 says:

no </3 this is one of the best shows, yes it has gone downhill a bit, but it began to improve in series 7! RIP desperate housewives

25. dbymars0174 says:

I am proud to say that I gave DH 10 minutes on the first episode and never saw the show again. Wasn’t interesting enough.

• Garry says:

But you’re interested enough to read a story and all the posts about a show you’ve watched for only 10 minutes in 7 years? Are in search of a life?

26. Simon says:

I quit watching cold turkey when they killed Richard Burgi ( Karl) off and I never looked back.

27. JDHetherington says:

I’m disappointed that the leading ladies were signed on for 2 more seasons, and apparently aren’t going to be able to finish their contracts. I was excited that they were signed on for 2 more years. I was expecting 2 more years. This better be a rumour or a misreported fact (no offence to the tvline reporters). I just don’t want it to be true.

28. Danny says:

About damn time, this show has gotten worse season after season, plus it’s been rumored that this is the last season for a long time now. Finally!!!!

29. easyE says:

This is not shocking… at all.

30. Ram510 says:

NOOOOOO!!!!! I thought they would make it to 2013 and at least 200 episodes. I’m not ready to say goodbye to Desperate Housewives.

ABC has screwed up big time this year! They cancel V, they give Cougar Town the step child treatment and now this. If Cougar Town doesn’t make it to the 2012-2013 season, I will NOT be watching ABC

31. Amy says:

Thank God! As a former fan of the show, I stopped watching 2 seasons ago because it got so stupid! It should have ended 3 or 4 years ago.

32. MARK says:

Just because some of you tuned out doesn’t mean that, suddenly, the show was no longer popular. If you look at ratings, DH was one of ABC’s most highest rated programs and one of the highest rated programs on television recently as well (owning up to some decline in ratings over the years). This show still has massive appeal and great acting, I think. Yet, I do think it is time and going out on top is much better than an embarrassing limp to the finish line.

33. Spencer says:

‘Bout time!

34. Brandy says:

Sad, season 7 was excellent imo. 8 years is a good run though. I hope the new showrunner and writers do fans right with the last season and last episode.

35. Sarah says:

The show is still popular in the Uk and Ireland, I still enjoy it and will miss it.

36. Sarahliz says:

How is this shocking? This show was dead after season 1.

37. mabus2012 says:

Housewives jumped the shark when it had its actors age several years and Eva Longoria’s character became obese.I guess lightning doesn’t strike twice and none of the subsequent seasons can compare to season one.Too bad, I had some good ideas for future plotlines, like a UFO landing on Wisteria Lane and several of the housewives being abducted, but not remembering it. Are you reading this Marc?

38. Karen says:

The Dave Killer season was good until it was only him that died…That was a dumb ending. At least kill Katherine since they wasted her afterwards. They would have never lasted against The Good Wife anyway starting Sundays next fall.

39. Samantha says:

Its about time! Maybe now it can have a good last season/ending. I do agree with others ABC should end Grey’s Anatomy also but its unlikely. Grey’s Anatomy imo quit being good after Season 5 and I am pretty much done with it especially when EP/PD leave. Shonda seems to want it to be the next ER though….

40. SpyTV says:

The most shocking thing about this story is… What?… this show is still on the air? I tuned out after the first season, only those without a sense of humor would categorize this as a “comedy”, amazing it lasted as long as it has.

41. Sarabi says:

Praise the lord! Now if only TPTB end House and Grey’s Anatomy, it would be fantastic! :)

42. greysfan says:

So sad at this news. Housewives was awesome last season. Oh well i knew one of the 2 big shows, DH and Greys, might be ending this upcoming season. Better it be Housewives than Greys.

To all you HATERS out there saying cancel House, cancel Greys etc. These shows are still good and still rating very well compared to last years NEW shows. Yeah where are all these shows to replace these? huh? Yeah just as i thought.

What if they decided to CANCEL your favourite show? How about they cancel Glee, Big Bang Theory, Modern Family, Good Wife, American Idol, Supernatural, Fringe, Bones, Castle…the list can go on. Stop with the hating already. They are still here because they have their fans and the networks are happy for them to be there so…. BACK OFF!!!

43. Walter says:

I don’t think they canceled it. I think they just decided that they could just condense the plot into one last season. Marc Cherry always said he wanted the series to end after 8 or 9 seasons. He probably just decided it was better creatively to hedge his bets and end on season 8 which was still guaranteed. And even though not as many people were watching as before, it is still one ABC’s highest rated shows.

44. Caro says:

FINALLY! Let’s hope something good will replace it.

45. J. says:

The show has definitely run its course. It’s sad to see happen because nearly all of the ladies employed on Desperate Housewives are spectacular actresses, but I have faith they will all find equally spectacular post-Housewives gigs.

46. Kate says:

No surprise here. Disney/ABC is cutting anything that can’t be produced cheaply and doesn’t have incredible ratings. Look how they cancelled Brothers & Sisters! And their daytime soaps in favor of more talk shows – UGH!

Disney/ABC have made it clear that they are willing to sacrifice quality for a few extra pennies in profit so I am expecting very little from them in the future!

47. Ali says:

No surprise. This show has kind of overstayed its welcome, in my opinion. I lost interest a long time ago, but watched an episode here and there to see if I could get hooked like I did the first couple of seasons. Nope..didn’t work.

48. Ex FAN of ABC says:

Yeah ratings have went WAY down for Grey’s Anatomy over the last few years. Last Year they had a new low of 9mil and averaged 10/11 mil for the season. The fact is ABC needs to find new hits but instead they put reality garbage on or don’t give shows a chance. I think I’m done with ABC.

49. B&S says:

They should’ve canceled this show first instead of Brothers and Sisters. I’m still in mourning that I’ll never get to see the Walkers anymore!

50. Kathy says:

I was planning on trying to see this through to the end but with it being in the same timeslot as The Good Wife, the CBS competition is just too strong. And I now know that keeping the ratings going doesn’t matter as much for DH as it does for TGW now.