Fall TV Preview

Exclusive: House Boss on Losing Lisa (and Olivia), Getting Back to the Show's Core Values, and a Possible Series-Ending Huddy Reunion

As House makes what could be its final rounds on television, series creator David Shore is determined to get the heart of the show beating again. That means putting the focus back on the weekly medical cases and, more importantly, Dr. Crankypants himself. But first, there’s fallout from events both onscreen (carmageddon) and off (farewell, Lisa Edelstein) that must be dealt with. In the following Q&A, Shore reveals why he’s sending House directly to jail, previews the new blood coming to Princeton-Plainsboro, and answers the question that’s been bugging me since May: Will Cuddy check back in before House checks out for good.

TVLINE | Word has leaked [via TVLine] that you will be replacing the now-vacant Dean of Medicine post with a character familiar to House fans, as opposed to foisting someone new on the audience. Is this your way of acknowledging that those are some mighty big shoes to fill?
It is. We had a very interesting hiatus. It was not our plan [to lose Lisa]. It is not what we had in our mind. Certain stuff got thrust upon us that I was not pleased with. But we sat down in the writers room and dealt with the challenges we’d been presented with and I think came up with a really interesting way to go into this season, and it’s turned out to be very exciting. The [Dean position] is a tricky role, and it has been since Day One. Lisa did a fantastic job with it and we didn’t want to simply recreate that. And we didn’t want to simply come up with a Colonel Klink. [Laughs] There was a nice balance to that character, so we decided to [go with someone in House's orbit] instead of trying to recreate Cuddy and put [an actor or actress] in the unenviable position of being compared to her, which will happen anyway. This allows us to put a character the audience has seen before in a new situation and to have House judge them on that. It changes the whole dynamic between the characters.

TVLINE | Was it always your plan to start the season off with House in prison?
No. It was certainly one of the possibilities, but it hadn’t been defined initially.

Follow @MichaelAusiello on Twitter for House Spoilers 24/7!

TVLINE | Did the strong reaction from fans following the finale — specifically that House needed to pay for his actions — play into your decision?
We recognized the truth of aspects of that. [Laughs] I feel strongly that House was not trying to kill anybody. It was certainly an act of violence. And it was certainly an irresponsible act. But I do feel strongly that he was not trying to kill anybody. He was acting out in a violent way, which is not a responsible action. And we feel strongly on the show that actions have consequences. And House has to pay a price. We also wanted to play with the notion of how much does he feel a sense of responsibility [over what happened]. He would never admit it but it’s there.

TVLINE | How much time will he spend behind bars?
Quite a bit. It’s months, not days.

TVLINE | But in terms of actual episodes
Not a lot. Season 8 is going to start months after Season 7 ended. And we want to get back to the core of our show. Our show isn’t about House in prison. He should be in prison. [Laughs] But the show isn’t about that. So we want to get back to the core values of our show as soon as possible, but obviously with a slightly different set-up.

TVLINE | Do you think the show diverted from those core values last season with all the House-Cuddy relationship stuff?
We had to go down that road and I’m proud of the way we went down that road, [even though] it was polarizing to some extent. But the stuff that I’ve always loved about the show is the House character and how he reacts, not particularly to romance, but to deeper life and death issues and issues of right and wrong and questions of how to live a good, moral life. And how he reacts to the [patients] who are brought in each week and to the regulars. Getting back to the fundamentals of these medical cases and these character cases. It’s not so much about the medicine; it’s about the characters.

TVLINE | Speaking of the characters, I’m intrigued by the casting of Charlyne Yi. That was a surprising choice to say the least.
That was a big part of [why we hired her]. We saw some of her standup and she is a quirky, interesting individual — and yet real and sympathetic. And we had been thinking of [introducing] a character who comes from a bit of an Old World background, and she seemed perfect for it.

TVLINE | I’m guessing the arrival of both Yi and fellow newbie Odette Annable means Olivia Wilde won’t be around much this season. How many episodes will she be in?
Not a lot unfortunately. She’s a movie star.

Exclusive: House‘s New Season Will Pick Up [Major Spoiler Alert] Later!

TVLINE | Are we talking one or two episodes?
Something like that. I don’t want to get too specific but I also don’t want to mislead people. I regret losing her, but, again, this was not our choice. Things happened at the end of last season that I wasn’t happy about and I hadn’t planned for. But I want to say we’re very happy with [the coming season]. This has turned out to be a real opportunity. We’re really doing some cool stuff at the start of the season and it’s pumped some fresh blood into the show — not that we needed it.

TVLINE | Were you able to bring closure to the Huddy storyline?

TVLINE | Are you approaching this season as if it’s the last?
I am not at this point. Fox wants another season. I think enough of our fans want another season. [Universal Media Studios] wants another season. It may well be [the final season]. And we will know earlier rather then later because I want to do [the ending] right.

TVLINE | Would you want Lisa back for the series finale?
I would love for that to happen.

TVLINE | Do you feel like it’s a realistic possibility?
I honestly don’t know.

Comments (306)

• I think they’re not bad feelings between them (Cast, producers and LE), that is a good start!

Comment by Anne – August 5, 2011 12:20 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Shore created the show, its his baby and if you don’t want to watch shut up and turn off.
    The constant whining about how its not what you want is boring. Some of us are true fans.

Comment by Eloise – August 5, 2011 12:21 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • By the same token, Eloise, why are you still reading? It’s the same thing every time Ausiello posts something. Were you expecting anything different this time? If you are happy, that’s fine, but your holier-than-thou attitude is out of place here. And the idea that only those who are still happy with the show can be “true fans” is absolutely absurd. No matter how much you love a show, if it changes to the point where it is barely recognizable as the show and characters that you fell in love with, you have a right to vocalize your objections. You’ve made the choice to watch it no matter what happens, Eloise. That’s your choice. I’ve chosen to stop watching because of all the absurdities over the past few years. That’s MY choice. I WAS a “true fan.” Now I’m a “disgrunted ex-fan.”

I’m curious, Eloise, just where do you draw the line? What if they brought in Kate Gosselin to play Cuddy? Would you still be a “true fan” and not utter a word of complaint?

Comment by Tired of those lecturing "True Fans" – August 5, 2011 04:12 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • I’m just fed up with people going on about it, and I’m venting my point of view just like you! I’m a true fan because I don’t try to impose my story on to tptb they may do things I like or not but its their story not mine to tell!
        Actually don’t care which actors they hire their decision not mine!

Comment by Eloise – August 5, 2011 04:51 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
        • We are both venting our points of view, Eloise. You are right about that. The difference is that you are telling everyone who isn’t happy and a “true fan” to “shut up and turn off.” There are closely moderated House forums around that will limit the amount of complaining, which is nice for a change. But HERE? That’s where we come to vent!

Comment by Tired... – August 6, 2011 10:47 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
          • Not stopping you there people with more holier than thou comments than mine!
            Whats more holier than thinking you can take a successful show and write better than they can. The fandom is far more than this corner and there are still many fans accross the world, who want to watch! Just was saying if you hate so much there is an off button!

Comment by Eloise – August 6, 2011 01:08 PM PDT
      • You tell ‘em, Tired. We wanna BITCH, dad-gummit! This country was built on unrest and dissatisfaction, and if David Shore doesn’t like it, he can repatriate himself BACK to Canada and go to work for the Sy Fy channel (which is actually rockin’ the house this summer!).

Comment by Right on! – August 5, 2011 05:24 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Getting back to the core values of the show would have been very interesting (after a season where they kept missing the mark) if they hadn’t made House into a psychopathic maniac in the season 7 finale. As things are now though, it’s as they made Cuddy say this season: “You can’t go backwards.” Sorry dudes, there’s no going back to what the show used to be after that. Too much has changed too fundamentally. And no, I do not mean Lisa E.’s leaving per se, though that’s unfortunate too, I mean the character of House himself. What he’s done, and who he apparently is now. There is no returning to ‘old values’ anymore. That makes no sense anymore, he’s become too different a charachter.

Also, if the show is so much about the characters, why weren’t they more careful about not completely screwing up the charactarizations of some of the most important and well-loved ones this season? What I saw in season 7 was not a show that was about character study, but a show that seemed to have no clue anymore about who its main characters were and tossed them all over the place for the sake of whatever silly storyline they could come up with, and a hysterical circus intended to live out the writers’ crazy childhood dreams. What went wrong is exactly that DS & co seemed to have forgotten the show was about the characters, and these characters should have been studied within intelligent and morally challenging plots and developments, and left to evolve naturally, not bent and twisted to fit the abovementioned circus. They completely failed to remember who their characters essentially were.

I honestly doubt they can get things back on track. I wish them luck, but I’m not holding my breath and frankly I have no interest in watching anymore. They’ve screwed up too many great chances this season and have shown time and time again that they have no clue anymore. And GY being a total jackass on Twitter is not helping in me cutting them some slack and giving them one last chance either, I have to say.

Comment by Claudia – August 5, 2011 12:22 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I agree with your entire post, especially this: “Getting back to the core values of the show would have been very interesting (after a season where they kept missing the mark) if they hadn’t made House into a psychopathic maniac in the season 7 finale. As things are now though, it’s as they made Cuddy say this season: “You can’t go backwards.””

As much as Shore likes to ram “People DON’T change” down the audience’s throats, he sure did a great job of irreparably changing the core characters of the show last season. For the sake of Hugh Laurie and the other hard working actors I hope this season is the last and the show is able to maintain a shred of dignity, though it may be too late for that.

Comment by Robert – August 5, 2011 12:46 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • People change! They DO! House is an example, there’s no going back now!

Comment by Yago – August 5, 2011 12:29 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Lisa does not have any respect for House md.

Comment by Guto – August 5, 2011 12:41 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • GY is a jerk on Twitter, he doesn’t help the show at all.

Please stop the man.

Comment by Loa – August 5, 2011 12:44 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • No one force you to follow him.

Comment by Jess – August 5, 2011 03:22 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • If Hugh wants to do more seasons, I’m in!

Comment by Rick – August 5, 2011 12:45 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Good things about House: Hugh Laurie, Robert Sean Leonard, Hugh Laurie, Hugh Laurie, Hugh Laurie, Hugh Laurie, Hugh Laurie,Hugh Laurie, Hugh Laurie, Hugh Laurie, Hugh Laurie, Hugh Laurie, Hugh Laurie, Hugh Laurie.

Comment by Grathis – August 5, 2011 12:50 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Don’t forget Hugh Laurie.

Comment by Redundant – August 5, 2011 05:26 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • HL has been vocal to be season 8 his last. I wished he had said season 7.

Comment by nitemar – August 5, 2011 12:59 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I wish he had said season 3.

Comment by Ang – August 5, 2011 03:50 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • “A: Would you want Lisa back for the series finale?

S: I would love for that to happen.”

So would I.

Comment by Sara – August 5, 2011 12:59 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Careful what you wish for. If they got LE to agree to come back for the series finale, one of the dipsh*t writers would find away for House to finally finish Cuddy off in some spectacular fashion. The last scene would be a lone pair of strappy 6″ hooker heels and a Wonderbra littering the hallways of PPTH amongst the still-smoking rubble. “…go out with a bang,” so spake Hugh Laurie.

Comment by Jinx! – August 5, 2011 05:31 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • “We also wanted to play with the notion of how much does he feel a sense of responsibility [over what happened]. He would never admit it but it’s there”
    What does it mean exactly? Consequences can’t be limited to the fact House is in jail; I really expect that he feels a BIG sense of responsability and that he’s able to admit it. Cuddy disappeares because of him and they’re not going to show how he feel uncomfortable with it? Come on! I don’t buy it! It took him years to recover from Stacy, and Cuddy is the only other woman he loved the same.
    I don’t know if Shore understands that the only way to redeem House (the character and the show) in many viewers’ eyes is to show him dealing with pain and regrets. Some fans will still watch, some others are irremediably lost, and there’s a certain number of fans who might give the series another chance, but not if they have to watch an unlikeable (and unlikely) ass.

Comment by Claire – August 5, 2011 01:50 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Exactly right. House needs to accept responsibility for the violence he did to Cuddy. But I also want some recognition of the emotional damage he inflicted on a little three year old child. He destroyed the home of Rachel Cuddy, a defenseless child who loved and trusted him. And up to this point we had been shown that House was a man who, because he suffered abuse himself as a child, was especially protective of children in jeopardy. Why was this core element of House’s character trashed in that godawful finale?

Comment by Tippi – August 5, 2011 06:15 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • According to DShore House was merely having a major HISSY fit or Temper Tantrum based on your age.

Or maybe just HOUSE being HOUSE

Comment by ERIN – August 5, 2011 06:31 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
        • Its a good thing he didn’t work himself up into a snit or he might’ve gone all Freddy Kruger on Cuddy’s ass.

Comment by Daisy Chainsaw – August 6, 2011 01:01 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • Good point! This is about to stay true to the character.
        And they don’t need to have Cuddy around to make House show that he feels a sense of responsibility for what he did.

Comment by Serena – August 5, 2011 06:53 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I never want to see Lisa Edelstein on the show again.
    I am looking forward to a wonderful and hopefully Cuddy- / Huddy-free season 8. And I hope that there will be a season 9.
    I curious about the new Cast members and the new DoM. Please let it be Sam Carr. I will miss Olivia Wilde.

Comment by V – August 5, 2011 01:56 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I agree with everyone who ways House-Cuddy’s relationship did not ruin the show. The chemistry between Hugh and Lisa made that an amazing relationship for so many years. The problem lies in how the characters were written. Making that relationship the forefront of every episode in Season 7 doomed it from the start. Getting them together after six years of sparks (and a 20 year friendship between them) just for the sake of blowing them apart in the manner it happened really sucked. They could have written that dysfunctional relationship into the background, it didn’t have to run the show.
    —–
    I would have appreciated better medical mysteries with characters intertwined smartly as was done in prior seasons. Season 7 is the FIRST season that I can’t recall the ailments of the patients, that is with the exception of the POTWs in Selfish, Unwritten, A Pox on Our House, Small Sacrifices, and Family Practice. When I think of Season 7 now I have this huge bad taste in my mouth, I can’t even rewatch ANY eps after Family Practice. The reason I can’t recall much about the POTW in that season is because there was so MUCH focus on House and Cuddy. That’s NEVER happened before. It was too much. And it wasn’t at all the natural course of the relationship, it was forced on us so that Shore could have a big bang finale.
    —–
    Well guess what? He got his big bang and the series suffers for it. David Shore, I seriously hope it was worth it.

Comment by Jessica – August 5, 2011 03:19 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • How can Shore be so disappointing every time he opens his mouth???
    I’m sorry to say this, cause he created such a wonderful series, but now he seems such a spineless man, he can’t even accept responsibility for what HE has done to HIS own show!

Comment by Lillian – August 5, 2011 06:44 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • The way DS talks,

It makes it sound as though House simply knocked down her mailbox. This was a far more personal attack than that and was certainly more prolonged than a five second attack. House had been trying to hurt Cuddy for months at that point (HOOKERS,Green Card Hooker Wife) even physically, and this was the culmination of all that when he failed to get the release or response he wanted. This wasn’t a small “oops” moment, and frankly, it is extremely offensive to say otherwise.

DS say clearly state that House will be punished and there will be important consequences, but everything he says after that contradicts it.

The episodes will take place months after the incident? So… House will spend, what, a handful of weeks in jail for what he did? And he never has to admit vocally that victimizing Cuddy was his fault? She was the VICTIM of his VIOLENT CRIME and SHE has to move away and QUIT her JOB, the JOB she worked her ass off to secure and that she hired him to work at some 10 years ago when no other Dean of Mediciene would. And HOUSE,the one who ACTUALLY committed the VIOLENT act, gets to keep his DEPARTMENT and RUN it?

NEXT STOP SEASON 1 HUH

Oh yes, I can definitely see the consequences

NJ domestic violence laws are actually pretty strict. The average sentencing is about 2-4 years from what I’ve researched, and frankly, there’s nothing here that would make House deserving of a shorter sentence or even probabation. He has a previous history of DRUG USE he spent a significant time in a MENTAL institution and at one point has been under the care of a Psychiatrist. If he can’t even vocalize that this is all his fault, there really is no reason to be LENIENT AND JUSTIFY PROBATION and as JUDGE I wouldn’t EVEN consider it .

At the very LEAST his medical license should be REVOKED. Any contact with a patient should strictly be limited to work at the local dog shelter and treating defenseless animals and cleaning out the dirty cages.

Comment by erin – August 5, 2011 07:18 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I wouldn’t let post-apocalyptic House anywhere near my dog. Send him to France. The French hate us, anyway.

Comment by The HELL you say! – August 5, 2011 08:08 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Oh erin, you’ve clearly taken one too many crazy pills today. Perhaps you should seek some medical help.

Comment by timshel – August 6, 2011 12:17 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • “Erins’” post is great. Whether she wrote it or not is another question since it’s been C&P’d from another comm.

Comment by Erinspostrocks – August 6, 2011 12:57 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • “Were you able to bring closure to the Huddy storyline?
    Simply the passage of time serves as that. There’s closure in the sense that there’s fallout.”
    THIS SOUNDS SOOO LAZY! They don’t need to have Cuddy around, a few well written scenes between House and Wilson could be enough, is it so difficult?? And how can they deal with all the how-much-does-he-feel-a-sense-of-responsibility stuff without mentioning her?
    In terms of creativity, this is not promising at all… Should I expect, on these bases, compelling medical cases and amazing patient stories?

Comment by Ross – August 5, 2011 07:33 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • House and Cuddy being together did NOT ruin the show! The WRITERS and David Shore ruined the show!! House/Cuddy was one of the best elements of the show.. Even before they hooked up their chemistry was off the charts and that’s many fans tuned in.. I hope that in the end Lisa comes back and the show can have a proper ending!

Comment by jade – August 5, 2011 07:54 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Huddy ruined the show, deal with it! Care to say why the ratings for the huddy premiere were only 10 millions? Huddy turned off the millions that loved House.

Comment by Kit – August 6, 2011 05:27 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • Deal with the fact that we don’t watch for the same reaason ;-)
        It’s true that some viewers hated huddy and stopped watching because of it, but it’s true that others wanted it and stopped watching when it ended (ratings declined after bombshell, it’s a fact).
        Lots of fans, like me, just wanted interesting storylines and a believable development of characters. The second half of season six, IMO, was very weak from this point of view (and Cuddy was barely visible), while Selfish and Unwritten were very good episodes, with a well-balanced dynamic between the H/C relationship and fascinating medical cases. It was a promising beginning, then both characters were turned in a pale and incoherent version of themselves, just to prove, quite superficially, that House can’t handle a relationship. And then, Shore decided it would have been funny to turn House in an unlikeable psychotic, and alienates many viewers, including me.

Comment by Claire – August 6, 2011 07:43 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
        • The ratings sunk after bombshells because of two reasons First: Summertime (all shows ratings dropped signaficantly) second: the audience was sick of the Cuddy-huddy-drama and this 50years old genius doc who couldn`t cope with a break up allthough his “love” was really a nightmare of a girlfriend.
          Houses ratings were weak from the beginning. When i remember right the premier had the weakest ratings of all [H] premiers, right? Huddy was a failure from the beginning,IMO. I never saw the appeal of this couple. It was allways a highly abusive love & hate realtionship where both made horrible things to hurt the other part. They should have stayed just boss and employee.
          A part of me is glad that cuddy is gone thus we won`t have to watch cringeworthy scenes with her anymmore. I`m looking forward to season8.

Comment by @claire – August 7, 2011 02:06 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
          • I respect your opinion. But I don’t change my mind: the quality of writing degenerated in EVERY aspect of the show and this is the main reason for the decline in ratings. No one forced Shore to close huddy so abruptly and badly (in terms of credibility, I mean), or to handle the post break-up with stupid ideas like the green-card marriage. You’re right about the premiere, but the finale had the weakest ratings of all finales, too (and one of the weakest of the season).
            As for H/C, you never saw the appeal of this couple, ok; others did, and others liked them BECAUSE it was a love/hate relationship. Again, we don’t watch for the same reason ;-)

Comment by Claire – August 7, 2011 07:53 AM PDT
  • LISA NEEDS A LOCK OF CHARACTER

Comment by KORENA – August 5, 2011 08:47 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • LE is NOT the star of House, HL is. I will stay with this show for him. Thank you David Shore for creating this character, because if you had not, we would not be bitching and moaning now!!!
    YES! lets get this show back to being about the character it is supposed to be about. I am so looking forward now to S8, even if it is the last. HL has made this show into what it is, if he had not of been in the role of House the show would not of made it pst 6 episodes. Why do not people relise that! with all their bitching, and ungratefulness.

Comment by Kath G – August 5, 2011 09:53 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Au contraire… I am EXTREMELY grateful to David Shore AND Hugh Laurie for giving me this and many, many, many other opportunities to bitch, piss, moan and snivel. My summer would otherwise TOTALLY suck.

Comment by Excuuuuuuuse ME, but... – August 5, 2011 10:06 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • Poor thing!!! Probably you should try to stop to bitch,piss, moan and snivel then you would have probably friends. Just saying!!!

Comment by pia – August 7, 2011 02:39 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Great Q & A. Appreciate everything Shore said. Eagerly anticipating the new season.

Comment by timshel – August 6, 2011 12:19 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I hope before the show ends house will kill 13 because of her huntingtons, or maybe he should do it this season so we don’t have to keep wondering if she is coming back and for how long.

Comment by Ross – August 6, 2011 01:39 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Ugh, Olivia Wilde again. Just kill her off already. It’s what she deserves, not even staying for the last season of the series that rebooted her career.

Comment by Fidelio – August 6, 2011 04:41 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I was a devoted fan for years, but not after Season 7. I’m done with the show. They destroyed a beautiful thing.

Comment by Melinda – August 6, 2011 08:16 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Ah, the good old days (2004-2005-2006-2007) no one talk about Huddy, Cuddy, House-Cuddy relationship and Huddy fans was not-existing: Heaven on Earth!!

Comment by Tru-Tru – August 6, 2011 05:39 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • So TRUE, these were the days where the house-fandom was true fun and a real pleasure to be a part of it.
      Now the [H]-fandom exist of an unpleasant bunch of haters who are angry that their fan-fiction didn`t become real. Sad but true!!

Comment by @tru-tru – August 7, 2011 01:46 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Blame it on Yaitanes AND SHORE

Comment by AHAHA – August 7, 2011 03:21 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • what an unfortunate interview. david shore comes thru as very disagreeable,with laughs in all the wrong places… i am now worried he and the writers do not know how to get out of this mess they brought House (and dear Hugh) into.

Comment by Laura – August 8, 2011 03:55 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I have loved House since I found the show in late 2008, but I was a little disappointed with last season’s finale–it seemed like the writers were running out of ideas or that House had gone totally crazy and should be back in Ward 6.

But that is all I can say on this because even though I watched every episode faithfully last season, all I remember is House running his car into Cuddy’s living room…Every season before this last one has been pretty sweet. :)

Also, I will miss 13 but not Cuddy because Cuddy was being bleh and I didn’t like her anymore, I can’t remember why, but me no likey her! D;

Comment by Reenie – August 8, 2011 03:58 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I hope we get lots of Chase! Jesse Spencer is divine!
    I also hope we get a good team dynamic.

Comment by Jenny – August 8, 2011 04:01 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • season 7 may have lacked the brilliance of the previous seasons..but I love House…it is still intelligent and it will be interesting to watch out how everything plays out after the disastrous ending last season…I agree with others …I would rather watch a badly done episode of House rather than watch reality tv shows that is all but crap.

Comment by lovestheirony – August 8, 2011 04:07 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Never any further exploration of House’s biological father, discussion with his mother, possible half-siblings,etc.Would have been an important psychological aspect to visit upon at least once.
    There was great sexual chemistry between Cameron and House. That could have been a whole lot more exciting than Cuddy. I’ll still watch this season because Hugh Laurie is brialliant no matter what.

Comment by Margery – August 8, 2011 04:24 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Huddy = Jump the shark. It happens to the best of shows.

Comment by Queen_of_You – August 8, 2011 04:27 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I think they should go back to the way it used to be in the first 3 seasons, after that they just tried to complicate the show and as the last season shows it didn’t really work. I think for the final they should bring back Cuddy and Cameron. The final will deffinatly be an interesting one to watch.

Comment by Ghost – August 8, 2011 04:29 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Reading your comments is frightening. You people watch too much tv and need to experience life beyond your sofas. Really – disturbing stuff. Getting “depressed” over a television show? It’s no wonder America is the laughing stock of the world.

Comment by MissDemeanour – August 8, 2011 04:33 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Seriously…this show has been the poster child of writers who do not have a clue where the plot is going. I can not list all the myriad plot changes…characters added and as quickly deleted…..it has been a collosal JOKE to anyone with any clue. This series NEEDS to end NOW…its been beat up enough. BUT the shining light has ALWAYS been Hugh Laurie…..and INCREDIBLE comedian…who turned us all around and shown he could do a serious show…..remarkable in EVERY acting skill and will continue to be great. I despised the writiers on this show…but if I ever could have lunch with Hugh Laurie….I would consider myself blessed to have spent time with an icon.

Comment by Paul – August 8, 2011 04:40 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I LOVE HOUSE AND HE CAN DO NO WRONG, HE IS DISAPPOINTED WITH PEOPLE AND LIFE BUT MOSTLY PEOPLE. I CAN NOT WAIT TO SEE THE COMING SEASON. I MISS HOUSE. I WATCH HOUSE BECAUSE HE IS A DEAD RINGER FOR MY DEAD HUSBAND, WHOM I LOVE. HOUSE IS I BRITISH ACTOR AS TO WHERE MY HUSBAND WAS A FULL BLOODED GERMAN. EITHER WAY I LOVE HOUSE FOR HOUSE. SO DON’T NO ONE SAY ANYTHING AGAINST HIM.

Comment by ALICIA – August 8, 2011 05:07 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I will not be watching. They ruined the House character for good. I can no longer in good conscience have any empathy for his character.

Comment by bob – August 8, 2011 05:11 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • The show fell completely off the rails last season and it was already starting to the last couple of years. But last season the show’s focus fell on the Huddy stuff way too much and wandered too far away from the medical mystery stuff, which is the “heart” of the show and what made House’s character so interesting and fascinating. The way he solved his “cases”, practiced medicine and interacted with his patients. When was the last time this show had a good whiteboard/DDx scene?

If this season plants to focus more on the medicine, great. But it may be too little too late, the ratings have already dropped and Laurie’s contract is up at the end of this year, given the strains the Briton goes through to work here on the show I don’t think a new season is likely as I doubt Fox will be willing to put up the money to keep him, even this season has a reduced budget leading to Eddelstein’s departure following a reduction of pay in her new contract. Leonard’s reduced role also is going to be a limp in this show’s stride. The interesting dynamic was always Cuddy/House/Wilson. That is now gone after the show focused way too much on BS rather than medicine. I hope to see this show recover some but I doubt it’ll recover nearly enough for it to recoup lost viewers and necessitate the larger budget it will need to do another season. As I don’t think getting Laurie to renew his contract will come cheap.

You’re also going to have to do a LOT of damage control to get me into the House character again. I always liked the man as he was just a miserable jerk who happened to be a brilliant doctor, now he is a complete sociopath who rammed his car into an occupied house on purpose. That’s hard to excuse and write off. Him dressing down a patient or their family for being foolish? Interesting. Him skewing medical ethics for a greater good? Interesting. Him lying to medical boards for the good of his patient? Awesomely interesting. Him driving his car into House where he knows people are and then (somehow) skipping town? Not interesting, and beyond what I, and the audience, is going to be willing to forgive.

Also there better be some damn plausible explanations on how he’s able to get his medical license back after doing something like this and spending months in prison.

Comment by Brian Straight – August 8, 2011 05:18 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Well you didn’t just loose Lisa You didn’t fight to keep her. The writers were unable to write interesting stories for Huddy as a couple. The ending of Huddy was contrived and unbelivable as was the season finale. I seriously doubt I will watch season 8 but maybe by October I will decide differently. I feel like my favorite show has been wrecked. I can not even bring myself to watch reruns, something I LOVED to do. You really jumped the shark!

Comment by Shelly Stanley – August 8, 2011 05:26 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Yeah, I feel my favorite show has been wrecked as well, it hasn’t ruined past episodes for me but it brings some sadness to me to watch the excellent and nearly flawless Season 4 and then think of how much the show has slid since then, esp. over this last season which I think brought the show from “good” to, “ugh.” Season 5 brought the show from “great” to “good” when its focus shifted more and more from the medicine to soap opera and at-that the soap opera with 13.

Comment by Brian Straight – August 8, 2011 05:40 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Clearly and blatantly obvious Cuddy should come back impregnated. Houses baby naturally. Baby should be dealt with in dream sequence; child is slightly autistic, socially inept but sharper and unintentionally wittier than his father, thus creating an even more infernal and insufferable world for House. Ah yes, the child should also be quite the athlete with an intolerance for the physically challenged.

Comment by Darragh – August 8, 2011 05:42 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Well I love House and Cuddy together, they dont have to be together but I think her coming in at the end of the season to give closure would be fine and I hope this isnt the end. Ive watching House since season one and IDK what Id do on mondays. :/

Comment by Tyler – August 8, 2011 05:55 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • It’s too bad things ended this way for LE and for Cuddy :-(

Comment by Devanir – August 10, 2011 03:58 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I agree somewhat with most of the comments posted on this site. There are only two shows on television that I will watch, one of them is House.The only reason I will agree with most of the comments is everyone is entitled to an opinion. Bottom line t.v. shows are just that; shows. Not novels. Eventually even well written shows become formula writing that becomes redundant even if the characters are interesting. Writers become bored just like anyone else and if they are it usually shows itself rapidly. Personally I would like to have seen the ending of last season as the ending of the show. Why? Better to have an ending where you make your own assumptions than beat a horse to death the next season. Either House walks off into the sunset in some other country { a wanted man in his own}, or he returns, is thrown in jail and you have a spin off. The BIG HOUSE.
    To be totally honest I wouldn’t mind seeing one last season but I think it is time for House to end gracefully.
    Just my opinion whether you like it or not.
    Donna

Comment by Donna L. M. – August 8, 2011 06:04 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I hope they bring Cameron back for the series finale at least ;)

Comment by Kelly – August 8, 2011 06:15 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I hope so too, Kelly! It would be perfect. If they want a twist… there’s the way to make it!

Comment by quince – August 9, 2011 03:03 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • All long running shows have bad seasons, get over it. I have watch House from the start and what I saw in the season finale was a man who was broken and angry and hurt who committed a violent act as many people do
    who feel that way. Was the romance storyline great, no, however after all the buildup and tension between them over the years made that impossible. I look forward to the new season and I wish the writers well. As for the people who watch it… A true “fan” follows the show through thick and thin, good and bad. The rest are just losers who whine.

Comment by Stop whining – August 8, 2011 06:39 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • for me i have look at house from the beginning, and continue to the end which i dont wont to happen, the people the actor make the show real,it make you laugh and cry at the same time,i hope their will be another season please please please.

Comment by dot g – August 8, 2011 06:45 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I have enjoyed a lot of House episodes over the years, since the very begining. A couple of years I watched only the first 1 or 2 episodes & couldn’t watch any more than that.

I think Hugh Laurie does an excellent job with the House character. I can’t imagine anyone else in the role.

When all is said & done…if they can’t write a show that interests me, I’m not going to watch.

My opinion: Even a great actor can’t do much when the writers do a hack job on the script.

Comment by luvbug – August 8, 2011 08:04 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • The “Huddy” bit did ruin this last season. 8 years is a good run, and although I’ve really enjoyed it, maybe it is time to bring it to a close.

Comment by Steven – August 8, 2011 09:08 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Does anyone else think that the new Dean of Medicine might be Cameron???

Comment by zacsmom – August 8, 2011 09:25 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Okay, I am a fan that is more than willing to put my two cents in here. I have watched every episode of House since it first aired and have appreciated quite a lot of aspects of the show. I think that they have always had a wonderful cast even when they have changed it up a bit. I think that they have had wonderful stories and sub-stories within this series. I even thought that the House and Cuddy relationship went just as it should have gone… a part of me hates to admit it because I wanted to see this beautiful fairytale ending that a lot of other people wanted to see, but they went as realistic as they could have with the personalities of both characters.

I do see this next season as being the season that either makes or breaks this show. I feel that the role of Dean of Medicine is going to be the one aspect which if they take giving it to the right character too lightly then they will end up breaking this show. I, honestly, see that if they give it to Wilson then this show is going to just flop because of that mistake. I feel that given the past that House and Wilson have as being friends that it is not going to be taken seriously by the fans, either that or Wilson is going to be too serious and will kill the show. I say that they should give the position of Dean of Medicine to anybody other than Wilson. (Oh yeah… Don’t give it to Gregory House, either. Giving it to him would be a bigger mistake than giving it to Wilson.)

Comment by LoganZ – August 9, 2011 12:04 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • To quote obsolete vernacular… everyone’s a critic. Half the people that say they won’t watch the show because of this or that will still watch the show. Then bitch about it. Which is fine. I’ve loved all the seasons, and I’ve seen all of them MANY, MANY times. Last season wasn’t their best, but I by no means hated it. I think enough criticism has gotten out there the Shore got the point and is returning to core values as he CLEARLY stated. Straight from the mouths of fans. Don’t think he missed what they were putting down. Ultimately, a show is WILLING to “jump the shark” if that IS what the fans want. Anyone seen Jersey Shore? Exactly. I love House, and I’ll keep watching it. As long as they’re making money on the show, they’ll keep making the show. Plain and simple. Critics aside, people watching means money.

Comment by ViscountValmont – August 9, 2011 12:26 AM PDT  Reply To This Post