Fox Boss Shares His Expectations for Fringe, Thoughts on Future of Bones and House

It won’t take out-of-this-world numbers to make Fox entertainment president Kevin Reilly feel good about Fringe‘s Season 4 renewal. “I don’t expect Fringe to grow; it’s a pretty complex show,” Reilly conceded to reporters at the network’s Television Critics Association summer press tour gathering.

Although Reilly welcomes first-timers to get caught up on the sci-fi series and jump in as new viewers, “If Fringe can do exactly what it did last year, we’re going to be very happy,” he maintained. After all, one of the perks of being a network that thrives on the monster success of American Idol “is that you can support creative shows that deserve to be on the air.”

Fringe Scoop: Anna Torv Tackles the Peter Question and Her Own Big Season 4 Dilemma

In addition to sharing his expectations for Fringe and weighing in on Glee‘s seemingly endless controversies, Reilly also surveyed the futures of two long-running shows, House and Bones.

House Scoop: Knocked Up Actress Joins the Team

Sharing his prognosis for House, he said, “I can’t confirm that it’s the last season [though] we’ve talked pretty publicly about the potential for that. I’ve spoken to [the producers] and they want to go out strong, so we’re going to revisit that later in the fall.” Should Fox ultimately pass on renewing House, Universal Media Studios, which produces the medical drama, may elect to shop it elsewhere.

Exclusive: House Boss on Losing Lisa (and Olivia), Getting Back to the Show’s Core Values, and a Possible Series-Ending Huddy Reunion

Bones, meanwhile, appears to be on much more solid ground, even though only 13 episodes are expected this season, due to Emily Deschanel’s maternity leave, the late start dictated by same, and the plan to share its Thursdays-at-9 time slot with spin-off The Finder. “We’ve been pretty darn happy with the performance of Bones,” especially as the now-relocated CSI began to wane, Reilly effused. “God bless Bones that they have delivered” to to Fox a solid relationship-procedural hybrid.

Bones Exclusive: Here’s What You Would Have Seen at Comic-Con

Other topics covered by the Fox boss:

* Breaking In, which stars Christian Slater and at first pass did not get renewed for a second season, still is a contender to be a part of a four-comedy midseason block.

* Reilly indicated that the network would be satisfied if The X Factor this fall “can do half” the numbers American Idol typically tallies at midseason.

* John Walsh is confirmed to be seeking a new home for America’s Most Wanted, which after a 23-year run will not air on Fox every Saturday night. “It came to a point where it just wasn’t [financially] possible anymore,” Reilly explained, touting AMW as one of Fox’s “legacy shows.” “We need to use that real estate to play with some other [programming].”

Fall TV First Impression: Is Steven Spielberg’s Terra Nova a Blast, From the Past?

* Reilly has utmost faith that the EFX-heavy Terra Nova will be able to deliver, on time, its 13-episode freshman run. But even if the Steven Spielberg-produced drama proves to be wildly successful, Season 1 will not be extended. For Season 2, however, Terra Nova is contracted for 22 episodes.

* Reilly indicated some disappointment in the current ratings for So You Think You Can Dance, but noted, “It’s still a Top 10 show that has a loyal and consistent audience. We need to freshen up our summer [line-up], and I do anticipate next summer we will, but So You Think You Can Dance will still be a part of it.”

1. MamaLarson3 says:

I’m one of the newbies to ‘Fringe’ and I’m LOVING it. My three tweenage-sci-fi-lovin’-boys forced me to sit down and watch all of season 1 and I just watched that season’s finale last night. SO GOOD. Hoping I can get thru seasons 2 and 3 before this fall. But I’m committed so I think it will happen. The powers that be at Fox can thank me (or my kids) later…

• Chadwick says:

Fringe is 22 eps and OUT!

John Noble already has his next job lined-up.

Season 4 will be a simnple re-address of “remember what we showed you in the first 3 seasons? – yeah – well this is what we really meant…”

besides, OTA network TV in the US can’t handle more than one sci-fi powerhouse at a time, ergo – Terra Nova will dominate – Fringe will flatulate…

• Aimee says:

And I’ll be laughing when Fringe is renewed again for a fifth season.

• Kirstin says:

Yeah well fans like you, Terra Nova is set!

Ahem.

• Alice says:

By next job lined up, do you mean that Dark Matters show? A 6-episode documentary host doesn’t seem exactly like a full-time replacement job for Fringe, it sounds like some extra work here and there. And he only got that gig BECAUSE of Fringe, I would bet.

I think Fringe has the ability to stick around for a while. They balance long-term story arcs with individual episode arcs really well. Terra Nova, to me, just sounds really different. It’s definitely not my kind of thing, but assuming that it’s well made, I hope that fans such as yourself can keep it alive.

• sadtroll says:

lol I like the idea that Fringe can have parallel universes and undone timelines and to me it sounds so bloody intriguing because there’s an intelligence behind the writing and such but Terra Nova for all it’s rock star production talent just leaves me thinking “they’re going back to live with dinosaurs? wtf?”

Does Spielberg get a good rate on dino cg or something? Also, it’s just sounds SO stupid.

• Emily says:

I’m a newbie too! For some reason I never got around to watching it but so many people were telling me how good it was and I’d heard the buzz about the S3 finale so gave it a shot. So glad I did, I got through all three seasons in a couple of weeks and it’s become one of my favourite shows. Season 3 is incredible.

• Andie says:

Of course they don’t expect “Fringe” to grow – the season three DVDs aren’t coming out until two weeks before the season four premiere. How are newbies like me supposed to catch up (to actually understand the show I’m watching) without having to download illegally? I’m really angry season 4 is going to sit on my tivo for a number of months before I get time as a busy college student to watch season 3.

2. ScrubsGuy says:

Thanks TVLine for leading the story off with Fringe!

Hoping for great things in Season 4!

3. Solomae says:

I usually don’t get into TV series but FRINGE is simply amazing!!! I truly hope it reaches season 5, it can’t stop at season 4 it just can’t. I love House too, glad its still going strong.

4. Mellie says:

I’m super happy to hear about the support for Fringe!

5. Joseph says:

No Raising Hope love? Shame on you, Reilly.

6. Kelli says:

Thank you, thank you, thank you for showing JOSHUA JACKSON’s picture.

7. Will says:

I’m loving his attitude concerning Fringe.

• Emily says:

Same here. So many of my favourite sci-fi shows have been cancelled by Fox early in their run, so it’s great that not only is Fringe doing really well, it has the support of the network behind it and they seem to understand it.

• Kathy says:

Yes, Emily, I agree. I didn’t start watching Fringe until after I had purchased the Season One DVDs — Fox’s mishandling of Alien Nation and Firefly has made me leery of getting into any of their new shows for the past 20 years.

8. Alicia says:

Jeez, they really won’t let House die with any dignity–choking and sputtering to the grave it is!

9. 1mars says:

So 6 month break for Bones then 6 eps then 3 month break then 7 eps and they expect to hold their audience and come back for season 8, good luck with that FOX. Guess the co-star is the first actress to ever have a baby. Let’s face it, it is just a way to get, that loser, the Finder on the schedule.

• madhatter says:

While she isn’t the first co-star actress to have a baby, it’s harder to do the show with her out/in a diminished capacity because it’s less of an ensemble show. Yes there are many actors but while other shows sometimes have the main character in the B-thread to focus on more supporting characters during a maternity leave (see Grey’s Anatomy w/ Mer on bed rest or How I met Your Mother with Lily just not there for a little while)it’s harder to do with Bones.
      Especially since her character is pregnant in the show they can’t send her to Asia for a dig and have her appear briefly via phone/webcam to provide the interns with assistance in solving the case. Even if her character is on maternity leave, we still are going to want to see Brennan being a mother and dealing with a kid as a full plot. Maybe they could do some “I’m on bed rest and assisting through the webcam” episodes but not enough to make the season longer.
      Personally I’d rather have 13 good episodes with the characters doing their thing than more episodes with convoluted explanations as to why the main character is not there.
      Sorry about ranting at you. I didn’t mean for this to be so long.

10. Liz says:

It’s good to hear that House might not end with this season. Since Cuddy is gone, I have hope that it will go back to its old awesomeness after the Huddy doom is finally over.

• Sam says:

Yep, the golden years of House were filled with so much doom while Cuddy was around. The new season should be JUST like 1-4 since she’s gone…

• raveng says:

I m not more convinced Liz, you are definitely obsessed with Cuddy/Huddy. You should get therapy with the Hamerons, they did pretty good, actually.

11. Chmarin says:

Thank God they’re bringing SYTYCD back. I was reeeeeally nervous cause the ratings have sucked for the past month.

12. Tess says:

HOUSE without Hugh Laurie is not going to be possible. Hugh has repeatedly mentioned of late that Season 8 is the last season to which HE is contracted. He sounds ready to go home to his family in London. He has also been talking about how tired he is and that he has no life outside “HOUSE.” Only time will tell, I personally can’t see House going past Season 8.

• D says:

He’s said he was contracted for eight seasons, but he hasn’t come out and said “this is it.” Omar Epps and Robert Sean Leonard’s contracts were up after Season 7, and they’ve obviously been renewed.

I agree, however, the future of the show is pretty much whatever Laurie feels like doing. I’d just like to make it clear he hasn’t exactly let anyone know that; he’s very private and soft-spoken.

13. XK says:

Glad to see Breaking In is still a possibility… seems like something they should have made a decision on by now though.

• darclyte says:

Agreed about Breaking In. It actually was a different kind of comedy, but it worked and was finding itself.
      Now if only SOMEONE would create a spin off of Human Target called “Guerrero.”

• Garnet_and_Gold47 says:

It was a pretty funny show and Christian Slater was so over the top, it was one of my favorite new shows. I hope they change their mind and bring it back.

14. Chris says:

Reilly – After all, one of the perks of being a network that thrives on the monster success of American Idol “is that you can support creative shows that deserve to be on the air.”

Where was this attitude for Firefly and Dollhouse?!!

• madhatter says:

I wish there was a “like” button for this. Go Whedon!

• Nellie says:

Dollhouse was awful by any standard, and it WAS given more support than it deserved with that second season renewal.

I somewhat agree on Firefly, although the box office failure of Serenity did prove that the show just didn’t appeal to anyone other than its small, hardcore fanbase.

15. Angel Heart says:

Fringe is good,its getting more creative and getting better. Once upon a time House was awesome now its blah,its losing its momentum, it kinda suck now. Bones,I can never finish watching an episode of that show for some reason, I tried but couldn’t.

16. Pam says:

Echoing others… thanks for the Fringe content. Another E ntertainment site covered this same event and there was not a single mention of Fringe.

17. Anita says:

SO glad to hear such words about Fringe. I was pretty much sure this would be its last season and was content with that, but now I’m getting just a lil bit of hope for more!! :D

Also excited about potential Breaking In return.

I am a huge House fan from the very beginning and that’s the only reason I’m sticking through to the end BUT I hope that end comes soon because then even I won’t be willing to stick it out; it just won’t be worth it. I hope Hugh Laurie decides it’s time to move on to better things…

18. Sarah says:

You’d think with all the Fringe praise (me being one of those !!!!! kinds of fans) it’d have better ratings that they “don’t expect to see”. To everyone not watching it, you’re missing out. And I silently judge you.

• Emily says:

I think the problem is that you can’t just jump into watching Fringe because there’s such a complex backstory to it. I recently got into it and watched all three seasons quite quickly but not everyone has the time to do so.

19. Kay says:

I’m extremely happy about the news re: Fringe. It gets first dibs for my 9 pm slots on Fridays. Pretty good news about Bones too!

20. Patrick Munn says:

So he says that due to American Idol they can afford to keep creative shows on the air? He could at least be honest and say we wanted the show to get close to 80 episodes for syndication purposes as that tends to be the magic number these days rather than the 100 it used to be

• D says:

Fringe going to syndication doesn’t mean anything to Fox, though. It’s owned by Warner Bros.; they’re the only ones who stand to make a profit from residuals.

It’s also partly why House is in trouble. House is owned by Universal; Fox only sees money from the show’s ratings on Fox. Universal is getting revenue from reruns on USA, reruns on Bravo, DVDs, international networks who buy the rights to air House in their country… they’re making LARGE money from House, and you can guarantee if Fox doesn’t want a Season 9, Universal will do whatever they can to put it somewhere else.

21. j says:

If they want to support creative show, they should have kept Lie To Me not Fringe. How many chances does a low rating shows get to have?

• sara says:

”As for House, if they wanted to end the show *strong*, they should have ended it after season 6.”
      they should have ended it after season 3

• Shar says:

I watched LTM, I thought it was a good show, but it has nothing on Fringe in terms of creativity, which is exactly why it was cancelled instead of Fringe, that’s pretty obvious. The end.

22. Boiler says:

Why didn’t ask about his idiot decision on Chicago Code. need to quit letting these guys off easy

23. MR says:

Glad for the support Fringe is getting from FOX. Remember, everyone – WATCH LIVE! We just need to keep the numbers as they were to get a season 5!

24. Ella says:

“After all, one of the perks of being a network that thrives on the monster success of American Idol “is that you can support creative shows that deserve to be on the air.”

Really? Really? I don’t think you could get much more creative than Firefly, but I don’t remember a whole lot of support. How about Dollhouse? Do you claim an allergy to Joss Whedon, or just to pure awesomeness?

25. AngelMoonGirl says:

No new Fringe converts? Pfft. *raises hand* Here’s one, right here! I’m not usually into sci-fi, but the premise and the interestingly quirky characters pulled me in. I love all the relationships and out-of-this-world storylines. It’s rather reminiscent of Alias in a way, another of my favorite shows. I hope Fringe gets to air until it’s story is concluded!

I also LOVE Bones and really hope it can go for a season 8. I think it can only get stronger from here. There’s still SO much potential in the Booth/Brennan storyline now that they have a baby, because they are such different people with such a beautifully complicated but loving relationship.

26. Shashank says:

God bless FoX for renewing FRINGE

27. Mayra says:

With Lisa Edelstein gone is time to say goodbye to House MD. It was good while it lasted but it´s time to put it to rest.

28. Aeol says:

The problem with SYTYCD is this season has been all about the JUDGES and not about the FANS. In the past, contestants picked their styles from a hat and there seemed to be more chance of dancers doing styles different from their own. This year it seems as though judge favorites only performed in their comfort zone and were never challenged. One reason I don’t like Melanie, she only performed to her strength and I’m sorry but her hip-hop with Twitch was awful. Plus am I wrong or didn’t FAN VOTES eliminate the dancers once they got to top10? Nigel and the producers have had control this whole season and it feels disingenuous. As a fan I have a lot less invested in this season because it feels like a fix!

29. suzycreamcheese says:

“shop”it elsewhere? must mean “sell”

30. Cat says:

It isn’t that difficult for new fans to come aboard in the age of itunes and DVDs. I got hooked on “Fringe” at the end of season two. By fall, I had caught up quickly by buying season one and two DVD sets. “Fringe” is the ONLY show that I can not miss. I’m feeling some fan anxiety after the season three finale though. Showrunners, don’t let me down. Where’s Peter? (Don’t shave his head. ;)

• Emily says:

Agreed, I only got into Fringe about a month ago and got through all three seasons pretty quickly. Season 3 was incredible, but I share the anxiety, I want to know what’ll happen to Peter! And he better still have his hair in S4…

• R.J. says:

Yeah I got into Fringe last summer/late Spring – around May or June, I can’t remember for sure. Was hooked right away. I got caught up right before they moved to the death slot – go figure. This hiatus is killing me though, lol.

I hope the ratings get boosted a bit by some newbies! ;)

31. Julie says:

With Bones, it’s not only Emily Deschanel’s maternity leave, it’s the timing of her pregnancy. She was already pregnant for the last five shows of last season, so what were they going to do? Not let her enjoy her baby because she happened to be pregnant at an inconvenient time for the show? That’s ridiculous. Obviously, if she weren’t having her baby in September/October, when they would normally be filming all of the shows, it would be different.

• Julia says:

It’s not Emily’s fault. Her husband/babby daddy should have thought of the viewers and shown more restraint.

32. Lisa says:

So glad to hear his quote on Fringe. It’s one of the best shows on TV and while the audience may not grow much, anyone who has the time to backpedal and watch it, should. Fair warning though, if you attempt it — don’t judge the show by the first 1/2 of season 1… it starts off a little quirky, but it really does get so fantastic as it goes on. By the end of the first season, you’ll be hooked (just as we were). As for House (which is the only other Fox show I watch), oh I hope this is the end. This show, which was so wonderful, has really run its course. I don’t want to see it like ER when eventually most of the cast is new and the story lines that made it so wonderful are non-existent. Not having Cuddy to go up against House is going to suck.

33. Kate says:

I love Bones and think it is one of the best shows on TV. Great cast, good plots and solid writing. I hope it stays on air for many years to come!

I’d also love to see “Breaking In” renewed. That was show was hilarious! Christian Slater is amazing in that role! FOX just didn’t give the show enough time or hype. The few people I know who saw the show loved it but I also know a lot of people who were intrigued but hadn’t gotten around to watching it on their DVR and then decided not to bother when they heard the ratings were low since the show was on FOX and everyone knows how that network needs immediate gratification.

34. Cortexifan says:

Three things in regards to Fringe:

1. “Is this a dare?” – Olivia to Peter in 1.10 Safe, as Peter asks her if two drinks are her limit.

2. “With all due respect, I’ve done my due diligence.” Olivia to Harris in 1.12 No-Brainer as he is a pain in the …

I’ve been recruiting since last year and have just added two more soldiers to the list and those I’ve recruited are recruiting others.

“Oh that’s only two, you say?”
    3. Can I have some Red Vines. They’re delicious :)

Fringies, let’s show FOX what we’re made of!!!!

35. Monica says:

Is anyone else seeing the irony of a Joshua Jackson/David Broeanaz combo picture? It’s like a flashback to 1999 WB programming. Love it!

36. josh shenk says:

Fringe is such a good show can’t wait to see what they do with Peter probably not much cause he “never” existed. I truly can’t wait. Sadly I heard a few of the people behind the series producers and such say they can wrap the whole show up with six seasons and do it with five if needed. If that is true its dealt gunna suck cause I dealt enjoy watchful ng this show. Im gunna watch season three when it comes out n blu ray before I start season four that way when they do a mid season break I should be caught up when they it. Ones. Sci on. Tee hee

37. SueB says:

Love Fringe and Bones! Fox definitely has some great shows on right now! I can’t wait to see where the Peter/Olivia/Fauxlivia plot line will go!

38. gayani says:

fringe is the best show ever. please please do season 5,6,7,8,9,10,11,………….10000