SyFy's Eureka Is Poised To End Its Run

Syfy’s Eureka will be coming to an end.

I’ve learned that the cable network is close to ordering six more episodes, which will mark the end of the sci-fi series starring Collin Ferguson and Salli Richardson-Whitfield.

Syfy is currently airing Season 4.5 of Eureka, while the show is filming the 13 episodes for Season 5.

For more on this breaking story, visit out sister site Deadline.com.

TAGS: ,
GET MORE: Cancellations, News

1. Justin says:

Wow! This is a real shocker to me! I love this show; one of my summer favorites. As to why this is happening so soon (in my opinion) is a definite mystery to me.

2. Michael Sacal says:

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

3. Zoe says:

It’s such a shock to hear this. This show has improved so much since it first started. I’ll miss it.

4. Amanda says:

This is sad news. I love this show!

5. Rach says:

Um, this is old news? When they renewed it for season 4 & 5 both at the same time they were never going to make a season 6. But it’s still going to be another 2 years before the end actually airs.

6. Janie says:

I can’t believe they are taking this great show off the air.

7. Samantha says:

No no no no no! I’m so upset! Eureka is my favorite SyFy show and one of my favorite summer shows hands down! SO disappointing. I feel like they have so much more to do story-wise :(

8. Will says:

This is one of my favorite shows. It’s one of my favorite shows, but it would’ve been on for 7 years by the time it ends. That’s a good run.

9. Andi says:

NOOOOOOO!!! I just fell in love with this show!!! HOW COULD YOU DO THIS TO ME SYFY? It’s so brilliantly written and manages to be different from what feels like every other show on TV!

10. sk says:

WHAT?!?! No way!!! Why?!?!
    This show is awesome! I am so disappointed! :(

11. Mia says:

Noooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo!

12. sara seidman vance says:

I love this show! It’s clever,fun and is one of the shows I really look forward to! Please don’t cancel it! Why do we have to endure reality tv! Give me fantasy please! Eureka is the best!

13. Pam says:

SyFy is doing it again. Taking a well loved, original show off the air before its time. Same with Farscape, Invisible Man, and others. I hope Haven isn’t next.

14. CMG says:

Add Eureka to the long list of shows abused and neglected by their networks for no explicable reason. I mean, I still have no idea why they tossed the second half of season 4 into a can for almost a year. Now they’re filming season 5, but who the heck knows when they’ll actually get around to showing them.

This is one of Syfy’s best shows, and it’s ending just because Syfy doesn’t know how to run a network. :(

• Michael says:

Considering that this show is already into its 4th season, calling it neglected is WAY off base. The ratings have never been stellar, even by SyFy’s standards. Plus, we don’t even know if the channel or the creator have decided to call it quits.

Wonderfalls was abused and neglected. Firefly was as well. Eureka is not in the same category.

• TQB says:

Not stellar? Pretty sure this was their top rated show ever, until Warehouse 13 – which has also been similarly (yes) neglected. Also, if it’s about the ratings, I fail to see how airing half a season, announcing a winter return that never happens and then finally airing the show on the anniversary of it’s last season premier could be seen as anything but ratings suicide.

15. nathan rapert says:

Much like SGU, Syfy is not the right place for scifi shows. They have left there roots of what made them a great station the second they changed their name.

• sgu hater says:

There was nothing SF about SGU. It was about a bunch of humans fighting wit) each other and such politics. Rather than a bunch of diverse people pulling together to overcome extreme odds.

A trend in SF and fantasy I am more than sick over the past few years.

• John Berggren says:

I would clarify that SGU was scifi, but not a very good show. Much as I love the Stargate franchise as a whole, this one never came together for me. Similarly, as much as I loved BSG, Caprica never came together for me.

TPTB @ Stargate Central ought to have opted for another season of SG:Atlantis while spending at least another year developing the SGU concept.

16. Madison says:

Stupidest decision SyFy could have made!!!!!! If they keep canceling good shows they’re going to lose their viewers.

17. Lars says:

Ditto on CMG’s comments. Moving it around to a different night every season doesn’t help much either. Too bad … best show they have on the network.

18. Corinne says:

BOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!

19. KoleBigEars says:

Gawd Syfy is the WORST f’ing network. Killing off good, even great, shows so they can add more wrestling and cooking shows to its lineup. Looks like I will be watching less and less TV in the next few years.

20. Jerry says:

Why? This show is one of the most inventive, funny, and best shows on TV! Damn You SyFy!

21. Ash says:

Bummer :( this has been one of my husband and my favorite shows to watch together! We look forward to it every July.

22. why such shock says:

A show lasts five seasons and people complain. Wow.

Enjoy what is there, it is more than most fans of other shows get/got.

• Andy says:

Agreed. People just see “ending a show” and they flip their s**t.

People: It is not straight-up cancelled. The 4th season is finishing up. Season 5, which we haven’t even seen yet, is currently being shot. Then they’ll have the 6th season. Even truncated down to 6, which will more than likely expand to 13 by the end of this decision, We’re going to have 6 seasons of this excellent show.

23. John Berggren says:

Come on people – don’t be shocked. This show is not a fit for the network. With all it’s weird sci-fi elements, it’s not really in keeping with the SyFy brand.

24. J says:

This is terrible news. I love this show and it is one of the best shows on TV. I actually record both Eureka and Warehouse 13, then watch Warehouse 13 first and then Eureka so that I save the best for last.

25. mst3k says:

NOOOOOOOOOO! I love this show, but I can see why it should come to an end. They have literally done almost everything there is to do in that town. I just hope SyFy can come up with something just as good to go with Warehouse 13.

26. Dan Hart says:

This is so heart breaking. They never really produced many episodes during the year, but it was a great show. 5 years (35 episodes)of Eureka is not enough and I wanted more. What happened to the days when each season was 22 episodes and the series lasted for 8 years. We need to get ride of those goofy reality shows first!

27. Patrick Yates says:

Come on people. Read the article. After following other sites, it says that there will be arround 25 MORE episodes before it gets cancelled. As in from today forward, we get 25 more episodes.

Lost started this. SyFy shows NEED an end date so that they can wrap up long term story lines. Eureka was a good show, but the cast is HUGE. And thus ruiniously expensive in comparison to its ratings. We got a great summer show for 7 years. Celebrate that.

• virginia says:

That is assuming that SyFy doesn’t go back on it’s order and cancel the show early. They already have a reputation for doing that.

28. Scott says:

to paraphrase Elvis, a tune I’ll be singing soon:

Well, since my Eureka left me,
    I found a new place to dwell.
    It’s down at the end of lonely street
    at Heartbreak Hotel.

29. Amanda says:

Aww, that’s sad! Love this show, but it has had a very good run. Still sad to see it go though.

30. Gene-O says:

Dang are you people overreacting! The show is in the middle of season 4.5, got 13 more for season 5 and a final 6 episodes on top of that! If anything, depending on how they split up the season 5 and (6?), Eureka will be on the air for another *3 years* at the most!

I’d say that’s a respectable run for a show that has never been a breakout hit!

31. ggny says:

this is still another 2-3 years away people

32. L says:

WTF? I love Eureka. Big mistake!

33. L says:

F’ing BS!

34. DJ says:

I just got back into Eureka last winter and re-watched the first 3 seasons again. What besides Eureka, Haven, and Being Human does SyFy have to offer?

35. DannyboyH says:

I love this show, but really, not counting the Christmas episode in December, there was a 10 month hiatus which didn’t help at all with keeping viewers. You can also see that they started to throw in references to very “nerdy” things that turned some viewers off that purely watched it because it was a good quality show.
    I’m glad that its coming to an end. Now it has the proper time to wrap things up and maybe we’ll see a few of our favourites pop up come pilot season next year.

36. alg says:

I’m really disappointed in this decision because Eureka is one of my absolute favorite, must watch summer shows and I would watch it for more than just the six seasons that it has been given. The only shows that I watch on Sy-Fy anymore are the scripted shows: Eureka, Warehouse 13, Alphas and Haven. I find myself watching the channel less and less instead of more. Sorry, SyFy, I’ll continue watching Eureka until it’s gone (whenever they freaking decide to air it), but I think I’ll be seriously considering watching you anymore after wards.

37. Michael Sacal says:

A report at EW is calling these six episodes the sixth season, and they have a statement from Stern saying that he hopes to keep the franchise going after them.

• “Bruce Miller and Jaime Paglia [Eureka's co-creators] have brought a creative vitality to ‘Eureka’ that has kept it fresh and inventive. … Although we do not have a commitment beyond six episodes for the sixth season, we are hopeful that this will not be the end of the franchise.”

38. Mel says:

Not super Devo. I like the show, but i think it has had a great run, and i will definitely be watching till the end

39. W0NK042 says:

& so SyFy kills off another Sci-Fi show. :o(

40. TaraMisu says:

Nooooo!! Why? This is my favorite summer show, this cannot happen.

41. virginia says:

oops, guess the “ooh shiney” has worn off another show for SyFy. This is standard for them.

1. Air show that becomes a hit and fan favorite.

2. Wait until the show is doing excellent.

3. Cancel show.

As an added bonus, they might order new episodes, then cancel the order and the show. Just because they can. Yes, there is a reason I no longer watch anything on SyFy. Why invest the time when the channel does not appreciate their fans?

42. This Article is Wrong says:

This article is incorrect, just because they orders 6 episodes does not mean the series is ending. Mark Stern has officially confimred to EW that while they have only ordered 6 episodes at this moment, they hope its not the end of the show. See his exact quote below.

In a statement issued to EW, Mark Stern, president of programing at Syfy, says: “[Producers] Bruce Miller and Jaime Paglia have brought a creative vitality to Eureka that has kept it fresh and inventive. Although we do not have a commitment beyond six episodes for the sixth season, we are hopeful that this will not be the end of the franchise.”

43. BrianR says:

Great now we will get another night of SYFY wrestling or plumbers hunting ghosts in South America next.

44. shadow says:

I wish I could say I was surprised but it seems like SyFy cancels all their series at season 4. Eureka is lucky since they will have a season 5. I am bummed though. I love Eureka.

45. Becca says:

All I can say is that I’m a SyFy addict with Eureka being the first show that got me hooked. I now watch Eureka, Sanctuary, Warehouse 13, Haven, and Alphas. They are all sooo good. $5 has been GREAT especially the music episode that was really good, Fargo + Eye of the Tiger = perfection. It also has Felicia Day, Wil Wheaton, and a cameo of Stan Lee! I will forever love Eureka no matter how long it lasts.

46. Ace says:

What?? WHY??? I love Eureka!!!

47. Smartman says:

Nowhere does Mark Stern say it’s not the end of the series but rather the end of the franchise. What franchise? Have I missed something?

48. Bash says:

Just to clarify….read the article below. Colin Ferguson just linked to it and he is breathing easier now after talking to TBTB so…

49. Vanny says:

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO! Come On, Syfy! This is the last of the good shows. Rather cancel Warehouse 13 – that one sucks. Leave Eureka alone. !!!!! This is still my favorite show at the moment, and everything else decent is gone!