Suits Preview: Mike and Rachel Grow Closer, Harvey and Mad Men Alum Hit the Sheets

This Thursday’s installment of Suits (10/9c on USA Network) delves into the thrilling world of… mock trials?! OK, it doesn’t sound too exciting, but the cast of the cabler’s hit legal dramedy tells TVLine that this is the episode that “hooks the viewer from here on in.”

“The mock trial episode is really amazing, specifically because it speaks to the power of the show,” Patrick J. Adams (Mike) says. “The stakes of this case aren’t even real and yet you’re going to care about the outcome as much as you would in any other episode.”

This Suits outing — titled “Play the Man” — finds Mike facing off against the protege of big bad Louis’ (played by Rick Hoffman), while the rest of the firm acts as various participants in the faux hearing. But that’s only the surface-level scenario.

“A lot of interesting stuff is going on, especially in our relationship,” Adams teases, referring to the budding romance between his and Meghan Markle‘s characters. “What happens in the episode is less about the potential for love [between Mike and Rachel], and more about our friendship.” Adds Markle, “It examines the trust they’re building.”

Surprisingly, Mike’s mentor Harvey is barely involved in the mock-fun. “I give him a couple tips of how to pull himself together, but I have a completely different storyline,” Gabriel Macht reveals. “I’m dealing with a merger of two hotels, and it just so happens that the woman who represents the opposition was No. 1 at Harvard while I was No. 5… Needless to say, we have a contentious relationship.”

Said gal is none other than Mad Men alumna Abigail Spencer (as TVLine first reported), and according to Macht, things between the two elevate rather quickly. “We’re not crazy about each other, but the way we figure out how to move forward is by sleeping with each other,” he tells us with a laugh. “Isn’t that always the case?”

How are you feeling about Suits inaugural season? And are you exited for the escalation of the Mike-Rachel romance? Sound off below, and for all my TV scoop, follow me on Twitter @MegMasters!

1. Robin says:

Thanks for this! I can’t wait for this episode… love Mike & Rachel.

2. Kathryn says:

I’m really loving this new show! I look forward to it each week now. I don’t remember Abigail Spencer’s character from Mad Men, she will always be home-wrecking Erin from HawthoRNe to me. (Yum…Michael Vartan flashback)

• Lauren says:

That’s how I remember her too! But I also remember her (also) home-wrecking Miss Farrell from Mad Men and super-annoying BlahBlah from HIMYM…. this girl’s been in a million things.

3. Karen says:

I am loving Suits and look forward every Thursday for the new episode. I hope it is doing well in the ratings and we get to see alot more of this show.

4. Lorie says:

I love this show! Great show, great chemistry.

It’s my new favorite show, and Harvey’s my new summer crush. Needless to say, I’ll be a bit jealous tonight.

I hope Mike & Rachel take it slow. I really want them to end up together.

5. Natalie says:

LOVE the show. I’m surprised they gave so much information about the episode away but I can’t wait to see what happens!

6. Lynn says:

I love this show! Kudos for USA adding it to their network. I like Mike and Rachel too and I hope they develop a friendship that can move forward into something more.

7. Elizabeth says:

I love all USA shows. But I knew I would be watching this because I’ll watch anything with Gabriel Macht! I heart him.

And I’m really enjoying the show! Another plus is that Suits introduced me to Patrick J. Adams and I think he’s great!

I hope it gets renewed.

8. Adrienne says:

I love this show, esp. the Mike/Harvey dynamic. My mom and I look forward to it every week! I’ll be quite sad when the season is over.

9. Cotadotoho says:

I’m NOT intersted in Mike & Rachel “relationship” at all. Mike/Harvey bromance is cool. I don’t care about women in this show.

10. Ern says:

Love this show and the dynamic with all the cast. And I love Mike and Rachel and hope they can make it past last week’s bump. :)

11. Eans says:

I look forward to this show each week BUT Mike, who is a genius, does some really stupid things, like leaving his business card at the bar while ducking away from drug thugs, or not seeing a woman leave a glass walled conference room when he is but 5 steps away from the door. Really! Acting is great, but the writers need to up their game and create REAL problems. Otherwise it starts to look like the Lucy shows where she does stupid things and has to figure her way out. JUST DON”T BE STUPID.

12. Justin says:

Love this show, like I love almost all USA network shows (including this one, nine, to be exact). The Mike/Harvey bromance it fun to watch.

13. Keelo Corleon says:

This is one of my favorite show, and hopefully for years to come. (hint hint USA). I look forward to my weekly dose of Rachel, however small the dose might be.

14. Templar says:

This is must see TV for me. Short of an emergency, Thurs. night belongs to Suits.

15. Ali says:

I LOVE this show. I got “hooked from here on in” from the very first episode. Gabriel Macht is an amazing actor and not to mention good looking and the Mike/Harvey bromance is amusing to watch. I always look forward to a new episode and hope there are many more to come.

16. Phil says:

Please almighty God give Donna more lines. She is the best character without a doubt.

• Chelsea says:

I think the same thing. Sarah Rafferty is fantastic! I loved when Donna conned Louis a couple of weeks ago, and then tonight with her brilliant portrayal of the lady boss in the mock trial. She’s quick and witty–plus, she can keep up with Harvey. She’s definitely my favorite character.

17. Jamie says:

I love this show! Well done USA Network, keep it going please!

18. Jakes says:

Best new show on tv IMO…I love the Mike/Harvey dynamic and the supporting characters are terrific. GREAT writing, and Rachel, Donna and Jenny are waaay easy on the eyes. Rachel is gorgeous, but I’m in LOVE with Donna…

19. TDSE says:

I love the fact that both guys understand their characters so well. You can really tell that the writers have a clear direction they are going in, otherwise both Gabriel and Patrick could not know their characters so well.

I really think this show has the potential to be something fantastic, and definitely more than just a summer series. That is especially true if tonight’s episode was any indication:

20. Jake says:

Mike hooked up with Jennifer and she still has a chance with Rachel? Wow…he got game! I guess it does matter if one is naive/kind/cute and has a photographic memory.

21. susan h says:

Love this show! I wish I could see the Pilot again after watching this season so I could revisit how Harvey happened to pick Mike for the job (that episode is not offered On Demand at this time). Love the relationships between Harvey & Mike, Mike and Louis, Mike and Rachel. All the stars are great including the managing partner and I love watching Mike’s brain move so quickly as he struggles to figure out how to get things done and cover his secret each week. Still wondering how things will go down as he doesn’t have a law degree and I think he was supposed to go to Harvard at some time in his career. How will that work? I really hope this show gets renewed very soon.

22. Noelle P. says:

A show full of great character dynamics. Louis Litt (Hoffman) – truly nails it as a superb nemesis for a protagonist in a series (gotta’ love to hate him…or love him!). I must say however immediate attention must be paid to Rachel’s character–not that likeable and if part of her charm is her arrogance then I really don’t know what to say other than- lighten the tone a bit. Arrogance and patronizing attitude coming from a low-on-the-Pearson&Hardman ladder-paralegal-unable-to-pass-the-lsat’s-yet-connoisseur of finer foods- is a rather vexing task for a viewer to appreciate or at the very least grapple with…especially when her role doesn’t seem too central- in one word “replaceable”

23. Glenn says:

Anybody know the make and model of Mike Ross’ bicycle in this show?

24. Lucy w says:

Love the show! Look forward to it coming on every week. The characters are just perfect and love the story lines. Hope the network keeps it going.

25. Rufus says:

Mike and Rachel? Yeah, I don’t get that at all. I’m shooting for Mike and Jenny. Way more chemistry there and it gives us something beyond the firm.

26. melanie says:

the show is great and the rachel/mike romance should not gop too fast…

27. Gina says:

Love mike and Rachel she is so ambitious and they both have passion and drive I don’t think he has with Jenny. She’s a challenge they need to leave Jenny part of his past and continue grow romantic relationship with Rachel she’s his future totally