Exclusive

All My Children Exclusive: Rebecca Budig Previews 'Overwhelming' Greenlee/Leo Reunion

Josh Duhamel — in all of his Transformers-physiqued glory — returns to ABC’s All My Children this Thursday, nearly a decade after his Leo DuPres suffered a serious case of Presumed-Deadness. And while we’re happy to see that one half of our favorite Pine Valley couple is alive and kicking, it’s really the other party we’re more interested in. After all, what does Leo’s encore mean for soulmate Greenlee, who’s now happily married?

TVLine spoke exclusively about the big to-do with Rebecca Budig , who details the “overwhelming” Greenleo reunion, Esta TerBlanche’s upcoming encore as archenemy Princess Gillian, and hints that this certainly is not the end for Greens and Ryan.

TVLINE | No matter how thrilled longtime All My Children fans were to hear that Josh is returning, it was still pretty shocking news. What was your reaction to the news?
Josh actually sent me flowers when All My Children was cancelled, with a card that said “Leo and Greenlee Forever,” so I called to thank him and told him that it would be so amazing if he could come back and do something — and he said he would. I don’t know how it all transpired beyond that, but the show clearly did ask him back. I was just really excited.

Finding Primetime Jobs for the Men of All My Children

TVLINE | How was it jumping back into shooting scenes with him after nearly 10 years? Was it like riding a bike? Or were there some initial jitters?
Oh gosh, we were both nervous. We didn’t know if we’d still have chemistry — I mean, I thought we would, but we had to pick off where we left off, only not really because his character had been “dead.” We wanted to recapture instantly what it was that we’d had before, and the minute we started rehearsing lines in the dressing room it was like, forget it! [Laughs] The floodgates opened for me and it was as if no time had passed.

TVLINE | How was the Pine Valley homecoming experience for Josh? I have to imagine a lot has changed since his heyday.
Obviously Josh doesn’t know everybody on the show today and it’s a different crew, so that was a little weird for him. But he got to see me and Cameron [Mathison] — who he keeps in touch with — and I think he was happy to do it.

ABC Soaps Salvation Hits a Snag

TVLINE | Now, in as much detail as humanly possible, describe the exact moment Greenlee and Leo are reunited… please.
It’s overwhelming. They haven’t seen each other in so long — she thought he was dead, of course. Overwhelming is really the only word I can think of to describe it. [Laughs] How do you take it all in? What do you say in that moment when you find out the love of your life has returned?

TVLINE | We’ve seen in a few promos that the two share a kiss. How does all of this impact Greens’ relationship with her current husband, Ryan?
I think that ultimately this whole experience brings them closer. Not only was Leo the love of Greenlee’s life, but Gillian was Ryan’s, so he understands. Greenlee and Ryan have a love that’s unique. It’s on a different level.

All My Children Shocker: Gillian Returns!

TVLINE | Speaking of Gillian, what a mixed bag of emotions that revival is! On the one hand, we’re thrilled to see Esta TerBlanche back on AMC, but on the other, we did witness the Princess’ heart being passed on to someone else (Brooke English’s daughter, Laura). How did you feel about that storyline?
It could be a dream; it could be anything. Not everyone has to be alive! [Laughs] But I was excited she was returning, because the fans loved Cameron and Esta together the same way they loved me and Josh together. Listen, if we can make our fans happy and do something to thank them for sticking by us for so many years, I think we should.

TVLINE | Talk a little about David and Greenlee’s relationship moving forward. I have to imagine the you-know-what is going to hit the fan very soon, given that he’s kept Leo locked up all these years.
Look, David uses his dead, beloved brother and haunts her with it — I don’t think Greenlee can really get past that. It’s low. Very low.

TVLINE | Can I be honest? I think that after all of this back-from-the-dead insanity plays out, David needs to die. He’s officially irredeemable. Plus, how ironic would that be Hayward brought everyone back to life but couldn’t live to reap the rewards — or inevitable punishments — of his evil-ish ways?
This guy has done really despicable things. As for your theory, you never ever know. It’s good to have a villain on the show though, right? [Laughs]

1. Sasha says:

I dont watch AMC….BUT I am excited to see this episode

2. angie says:

Let us not forget—David married Greenlee knowing his brother was alive-and therfore still married to Greenlee. Just another thing to add to his villian resume!

• Denise says:

Oh gawd, that’s right! And her marriage to Ryan is invalid as well. Awkward! It’s going to be so good to see Leo again.

• keelala says:

Her marriage to Ryan would not necessarily be invalid. Leo has been dead for yrs. There are statute of death limitations that free any widow after a certain amount of time.

3. D says:

I am excited to see Josh and Esta again. Esta in particular because I feel it was a huge mistake to write her off the show. But if they both are just going to be used as props to pimp Ryan and Greenlee’s supposed “true love” I will barf. They are one of the reason’s I stopped watching AMC. Worst. Couple. Ever.

4. Lucas says:

I just wanted to say thank you for all the coverage you have been giving to the soaps recently. Its great to see them recognized on this website!!

5. Shari says:

Where did she hint that its not the end of GreenLeo? Did I miss that. They better be endgame! GreenLeo and RyGill are a million times better than Rylee!

6. Gia says:

I love the fact that Rebecca admitted Leo was the love of Greenlee’s life and Gillian was the love of Ryan’s. I hate Greenlee and Ryan together. And I hope they will actually reunite with their true soulmates. As far as Gillian not coming back alive, why not? Jesse was in heaven with Gillian. He was the ghost guiding her in the afterlife. And if Jesse can be alive and kicking why can’t Gillian? Either way I can’t wait to see Esta back on the show. I loved Ryan and Gillian together.

• keelala says:

Ah yes but Jesse was not shot in the head and pronounced brain dead and then his heart taken from him and used to save Laura’s life. Gillian’s was. So for David to revive this one as in living he not only had to get her a new brain but a heart as well? Come on now even god David can only go so far lmao!

• Angel says:

It’s not just Rebecca saying that. Ryan and Greenlee have said that Gillian and Leo were the loves of their lives, respectively, on the show though… I remember they had conversations about it back when they were first getting together.

7. Carrie says:

I hope they don’t kill off David. I know he’s not a good guy, but I never thought he was truly evil. What he’s doing isn’t necessarily right, but he’s saved people’s lives! We don’t know the full story yet, but w/o him Maria, Greenlee, Leo, Dixie, Zach (?), Babe (?) and Gillian (?) would all be dead.

• janet says:

david is wonder full saving lives wish he did that with real people that have died but only on the soaps see why its so good like reading a good book you can’t put down we don’t know what’s going to happen next we need the whole stories about what’s coming next so more pleases!

8. Amazed says:

Dr. Dave is too delicious a character to be killed off. I don’t care if he’s evil or good, I say keep him!

9. janet says:

keep DR david hes to great to let go so please keep him on AMC

10. linds says:

It’s great that they are bringing back so many beloved characters – too bad they didn’t do more of this years ago – it might have saved the show. On the other hand, it looks like Frons & Co are going to continue to shove the despised Rylee down the viewers throats as the endgame, and this illustrates why this show no longer works. Their disdain for the fans/viewers was so entrenched that they assumed if they just told us, over and over and over, that a couple was great, or a sociopath/cheater was a hero, we would eventually nod our heads and agree. RIP All My Children.

11. Angel says:

I haven’t watched AMC in years but tuning in to see Leo again. The show just hasn’t been the same since Josh left.

12. karen says:

I was hoping Lorraine Broderick would kill Greenlee and let her walk into the light with Leo. Greenlee is unwatchable with Ryan. There is nothing unique about Ryan and Greenlee disgusting love. I wish LB would kill them off. I am sick to death of gross Rylee.

13. Dana says:

Josh is a class act for sending Rebecca flowers and agreeing to do AMC again in it’s swan song. I don’t mind Ryan and Greenlee that much but Leo and Greenlee were hot and Ryan and Gillian were too!It should be interesting to see how they wrap things up with these characters.Love David or hate him he does make a great villian.

14. Eve says:

Im happy that Leo’s back. He was funny, sweet, charming and dont forget adorably HOT. I wish it had happened alot sooner. Greenlee was so happy with Leo. I loved watching them. Ryan deserves to be with Gillian too. For David.. I think he’s cute so I wouldnt really prefer him to be dead. I loved Adam Chandler too so looking forward to his return as well.

15. Ying says:

“Josh actually sent me flowers when All My Children was cancelled, with a card that said ‘Leo and Greenlee Forever.'”

That melted my heart. So sweet!!

16. priscilla lavalais says:

I know all my children going off the air but it would be nice to see leo in green the back together