Fall TV Preview

Ted Danson: My CSI Boss Is 'Trying to Hold a Crazy Group of People Together' – Watch Video

Get ready for a lighter, cozier, more stable CSI under new supervisor Ted Danson.

“He’s kind of like Phil Jackson coming in to handle a group of people who are on a slippery slope,” the actor of his new alter ego, D.B. Russell, at the Television Critics Association’s summer press tour in Beverly Hills. “He’s brought in to make the team work as good as possible. He’s trying to hold a crazy group of people [together].”

And he’ll accomplish this with a healthy dose of humor, a character trait that was a major selling point for the Cheers vet. “Looking for funny takes a certain kind of intelligence, and it’s the same brain that looks for clues and finds things,” he related. “So I really feel at home, even though I’m not [telling jokes]. It’s a perfect situation.”

Watch a preview here, then read on:

Just days into his new gig, Danson acknowledged that his head is still spinning. “In [the span] of two weeks I [went from] staring at the ocean in Martha’s Vineyard to my first autopsy,” he marveled. “It’s all happening incredibly fast… My jaw’s still hanging down from the newness of all of this.”

Exec producer Carol Mendelsohn acknowledged that this season will be “a little lighter” and feature “more humor” than past seasons under Laurence Fishburne’s brooding CSI. In Danson’s character, “We wanted a scientist, we wanted Sherlock Holmes — we did not want a science nerd.”

Tags: ,

Comments (17)

• I’m interested to see where this goes. New blood on this show is important.

Comment by Lesley – August 3, 2011 12:36 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • It’s been a LONG time since I’ve watched CSI, but wouldn’t it make more sense to promote Helgenbuger’s character and add new, younger characters, instead of introducing new bosses? Or is this yet another example of Hollywood hypocrisy? Why can’t the lead be a woman?

Comment by DarkHawke – August 3, 2011 12:44 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Normally I’d agree with you but in this case Helgenburger has stated that she wants less screen time and this is probably her last year. It doesn’t make sense to promote her when she will be gone soon.

Comment by Dax – August 3, 2011 02:37 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Marg’s character already was promoted and took over for Grissom after he left. Fishburne’s character was a lower ranked CSI than even Nick Stokes.

Comment by darclyte – August 4, 2011 06:29 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • You have missed a lot! They tried that and brought in a newbie that overshadowed the entire team and ended with it divided and an almost unwatchable Television show. Fishburn’s Ray was awful.
      On a brighter note I am really looking forward to Danson and a new year with big Big hopes.

Comment by HRU – August 4, 2011 09:04 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I always felt it a shame that they never let Marg be the lead even when her character became shift supervisor with Nick her deputy. Now, they seem to be demoting her.

Comment by Marc – August 3, 2011 01:07 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I absolutely LOVE Ted joining the cast, but WHY does everybody keep reffering to Ray and Ted’s character as the boss? Isn’t Catherine the supervisor, and therefore AT LEAST outranks Ray, and quite possibly Ted as well? I know Marg is leaving by the end of the upcoming season, so someone else should take over as supervisor, but that someone should be Nick, and not a new character.

Comment by Dominique – August 3, 2011 01:17 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Ted Danson as an actor I never liked and I’ve seen in several papers. Son I will not see again CSI. That producers do not understand that loyal viewers still see CSI for original members and not for new actors who come to occupy places that are well covered by the originals.I regret that Marg, George, Paul, Jorja and Eric are displaced always when contributed to the success of CSI from the beginning.

Comment by Graciela – August 3, 2011 02:14 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Not available for my geographic region? Apparently I live in Narnia.

Comment by Mcat – August 3, 2011 04:12 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • i like ted danson so this should be a good season….i think catherine is getting demoted, plus she is the one who wanted less screen time and will be leaving next season so i don’t see why ted can’t be the boss…..ray wasn’t the boss…he was the new CSI tech. Catherine was the boss….maybe after what happened with ray, she got demoted or something

Comment by Jess – August 3, 2011 07:12 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • PLEASE put links on which are available outside of the USA. Youtube links always work..I’m just saying..

Comment by Katy – August 4, 2011 12:34 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Exactly. Tvline has a lot of foreign readers… don’t waste them.

Comment by ShonenBAT – August 4, 2011 03:17 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I have seen a lot of complains about CSI not promoting from within but this happens A LOT in reality.

Comment by Pam – August 4, 2011 06:11 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • We still live in a society that overlooks women at almost every turn. CBS is not big on Women leads in general.

Comment by HRU – August 4, 2011 09:06 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I started watching CSI again when I saw Mr. Fishburne in the cast. He brought a certain kind of dignity to the show that made it interesting.

Comment by Elaine Rule – August 4, 2011 03:45 PM PDT  Reply To This Post