Scoop: The CW Orders Additional Episodes of Gossip Girl, 90210, Supernatural and Nikita

The CW is looking to beat the midseason rerun blues by extending the already-full season orders of Gossip Girl, 90210, Supernatural and Nikita.

The network has picked up two additional episodes each of Gossip Girl and 90210, bringing their totals to 24 episodes, and one additional episode each of Supernatural and Nikita, extending their runs to 23 episodes apiece.

Notably missing is The Vampire Diaries. That stems from the show’s inability to accommodate additional episodes because of its extensive post-production process. Additionally, exec producer Kevin Willimason already has his hands full shepharding the new CW series The Secret Circle.

TAGS: , , , ,
GET MORE: Fall TV Preview, News

1. Matt from UK says:

Last year they did this and then cut episodes from 90210 and Gossip Girl. I wouldn’t be surprised if they did it again.

2. Marissa says:

I’m so excited… The new CW boss is working hard. Shame on you Ostroff! My guess: This will be a good year for the network.

3. JJ says:

Adding episodes to Gossip Girl? The cast must love that – half of them are concurrently off shooting movies while doing the series. Give the writers a break.

• JJ says:

Or the network is squeezing as much episodes of Gossip Girl while they can. Blake, Leighton, Penn.. have all mentioned the will let their contracts expire next yr.

• abc123 says:

Actually their contracts expire in May 2013, but something tells me the ratings aren’t going to hold up for quite that long.

• mel says:

Hopefully, the network decides to cancel GG after this season. Leighton is too good for this crappy show.

• joey says:

yeah dude, totally. leighton is far too good for GG. She can do so much better, like co-starring with selena gomez, or turning into a scream queen.

GG made Leighton Meester, and it will also be her undoing. She will never have pull in Hollywood, not unless she somehow ends up in some amazing indie film, or an Oscar-bait film.

• Chmarin says:

She can end up in an Oscar-bait film, but she will never get recognized. I mean, who are we kidding here? Her acting is on a high-school level, filled with overly dramatic facial expressions. It’s ridiculous.

GG should’ve been canceled a year ago. The show is WAY past its prime.

• jazzyb15 says:

Your so right!!!!

4. Sivat says:

Sweet, an extra episode of Supernatural! (Hopefully Misha Collins-free….)

• Madeline says:

Hopefully Misha Collins-full, if I may politely disagree.

I raise my glass to the person who said Leighton is too good for Gossip Girl. For the past couple of seasons that show has been swiftly heading downhill. There just isn’t any life in it anymore. Blair is the only character I currently care about.

My question is: What sort of extensive post-production process does The Vampire Diaries have exactly, that these other shows listed do not?

• Deena says:

Uh, hello?? They have to add in the red eyes/veins in the eyes, the vamp speed/blurs, and the shrivelling death of vamps. All those other shows are pretty much cut and dry. They don’t need any special effects.

• Sara says:

have you not seen an episode of Supernatural?

• Dani says:

uh, hello? I think you’re forgetting Supernatural. Unless you think that show is based on real life so doesn’t need special effects?

• Mia says:

Vampire Diaries is a more slick production than Supernatural. The cinematography is gorgeous on TVD, that takes work too and it takes longer to plan and film in production, not just the special effects in post. Supernatural looked really good in seasons 1-4 but 5 and 6 have looked quite cheap. I miss how it looked moody and dark and scary, those were the days.

• carol says:

I remember Vampire Diaries finishing filming just one or two weeks prior to the season finale airing. On Supernatural they’d finished long ago. Anyway, i’d rather have 22 episodes that are great than 23-24 not as good. More episodes just means more filler stuff. There’s a reason I prefer 12 episode seasons like cable does.

• Pete says:

Yeah, I miss when Supernatural did a lot of wide shots and had interesting locations. Now it’s close ups every scene, it’s so boring to look at.

• Dash says:

I totally agree with Carol. I would rather have better quality than more volume shows. I think the Vampire Diaries had a great second season where there were only a couple of eps that felt like filler.

• Sivat says:

Um, no thanks. Castiel sucks and he’s been ruining this show for long enough. Buh byeeeeeeeee Misha!!!!

• JJ says:

Sivat please–every SPN article you shout against Cas like a baby. Give it a rest. A lot of us like him a lot. fine if you dislike him but don’t be an idiot and bring it up even when the article isn’t even about him!

• Sivat says:

Piss off. YOU are notorious for making everything about your “wuv” for Castiel. Give it a rest. This isn’t The Misha Collins Show. Face it, your lover boy has been demoted. Deal with it. This is Supernatural. It’s about Sam and Dean huntin’ monsters. Obviously that’s not the show you want to watch, so STOP watching, you pathetic piece of garbage.

• Dianna says:

Sivat – You must be about 12 years old. If not, I’m embarrassed for you.

• Cheryl says:

Yes Angelfree please!!

• Patty says:

Amen. I was heartbroken Cas was meant to die at the end of season 6 but the writers didn’t have the guts to do it. What a surprise. NOT! I don’t know if I can put up with another season of Castiel tbh. I’ll check out the first couple episodes and make up my mind.

5. Linda says:

two additional episodes each of Gossip Girl and 90210…why? Have they looked at the ratings, especially the reruns? Yay, it’s about time Supernatural gets more than 22 (I’m still waiting for the 6 we missed out on with the strike ;) ).

• Carrie says:

Those shows must be cheaper to produce. I could be wrong, but I believe both “Supernatural” & “Nikita” have stronger ratings.

• Joshua says:

Gossip Girl and 90210 do well in overseas markets and I bet The CW is trying to squeeze out a few more episodes for syndication purposes.

6. Carrie says:

Very cool. I wish we were getting 24 episodes of “Supernatural”, though. I love me some SN and I also enjoy “Nikita”.

• Sivat says:

Does 23 bother you because it’s a prime number?

• Jennie says:

Yeah baby more episodes of SPN! My favorite show. Ever. Besides Angel. The only thing I miss is the funny! Please find a reason to bring back the one-liner old school hilarity of yore

7. Arianna says:

What about OTH??! It’s there final season and all there getting is 13 episodes, considering this is one of the longest running shows on the CW you’d think that the CW would add more episodes for them not to other shows that you can’t relate to. OTH has real storylines and things you can relate to. I know many other loyal OTH fans would agree! Get it right for once CW!

• chris says:

One Tree Hill should have been canned years ago.

• Linda says:

Technically, OTH and SPN have been on THE CW the same amount of time.

I watch OTH and I think that show was lucky to get the 13 episodes. Maybe they’ll get more once it starts but I doubt it.

8. Stef says:

I realize this is a lost cause and it’s their last season, but every time i read “The CW Orders Additional Episodes of..”, I cross my fingers and hope it says “One Tree Hill”. I’m gonna miss that show! :)

9. Snooze says:

Yippe! And extra episode of the Jared Padalecki Vehicle. Wake me up when they finally put this show out of its misery.

• Maddy says:

Haha, you’re a funny Dean girl. NOT!

I’m glad SN is getting another episode. I wish it was two.

• Sivat says:

Jealous Dean fans make me laugh. I love this show because of BOTH brothers. One doesn’t get slighted over the other. Get real.

10. Jason says:

More Lyndsy Fonseca is always a good thing.

11. Susy says:

I’m glad Supernatural and Nikita are getting more episodes-both are great shows! But why not Vampire Diaries?! TVD is the best show on the CW! I also think OTH should get a full final season!!

12. Danielle H. says:

The Vampire Diaries is the biggest show the CW has; it’s a boffo move not to extend its order no matter what the reason. It has only had like 21 episodes both of the first 2 seasons though I think.

13. Amber says:

Darn! While I like Supernatural, I’d actually go with less Supernatural just to get more Vampire Diaries. Oh well.

• tl;dr says:

It really is too bad. TVD is a far superior show to Supernatural. It actually needs the extra episodes since ALL its cast members have storylines.

Supernatural has been ripping itself off for years and each successive iteration of the same damned story/scene is significantly worse than the last. Giving them an extra episode is just rewarding their steep slide into mediocrity.

Same goes for GG and 90210 but I guess The CW has no choice but to keep reanimating its dead horses. It’s not like they have a single true success in their stable.

• Kalie says:

Are you kidding me? You may prefer VD to “Supernatural”, but that doesn’t mean VD is the superior show. Most of the actors in the cast are weak and VD seems to rely on shock value more than anything else. They’re constantly killing characters, then bringing them back to life. Not to mention, they want us to like Damon when he’s a psychotic murderer who has killed or at least tried to kill just about every one of Elena’s friends and family members. It makes absolutely no sense that he’s in love with her and she’s friends with him after everything he’s done.

• Megan says:

• Lucy says:

Seriously, you think VD is superior to SN? In what universe? I actually saw a scene on VD that was a complete rip-off of a scene in the SN episode Dead Man’s Blood.

• ursula says:

What scene? I’m legitimately curious because I don’t recall that and I watch both shows.

• Lucy says:

It’s the scene in Dead Man’s Blood where the man and woman are driving down the road talking about his ugly shirt. There’s a vampire laying down on the road and they nearly run him over. Then they get attacked by the vamps. I don’t watch VD, but I tuned into the CW once when VD was on and I saw a scene that was almost an exact copy of the scene from Dead Man’s Blood. Right down to the vamp laying in the road.

• Sg. Grant says:

The scene you are talking about isn’t one show stealing from another. That is just how vampires lure people out of vehicles so they can feast. :)

14. Megan says:

i’m super excited for supernatural! i love the show and all the characters. as far as post production goes on TVD vs. Supernatural it’s cause Supernatural has their stuff together!! they’ve been on for how long now and they are still going strong! can’t wait for more dean, sam, and cas!! yay! :)

15. fernando says:

I am glad that The CW gave 90210 extra 2 ep. but I don’t understand why Gossip Girl, I only watch the show for Blair the first two seasons, but then season 3 came around and I could not hold on any more it just got worse and worse.But I am hoping Hart of Dixie, Ringer, and Sercet Circle, bring in more then 4 million viewers because these shows look very good, three of the best shows that The CW thought of snice they started.

I wish One Tree Hill could keep going on, I still think they have many more stories to tell, and yes I know haters will comment on this saying no please let this show die, but OTH does have many more stories to tell but Mark needs to write every ep. like he did the last six of season 8. We can explore of Brooke being a mom and rebuliding Clothes Over Bros, Haley can go back to singing and touring while Nathan stays home raising the girl, mouth and millie can get married and explore married life and so can Clay and Quinn and we need to see more of Alex and Chase.

16. Megan says:

i agree that VD is in no way superior to Supernatural! The stories and characters are way better and more developed the VD. I don’t agree with the Damon comments. I get that he’s a “murderer” but he still comes through when u need him most. I don’t maybe i just really like Ian and not Damon, but whteves! :)

17. luis says:

IM really excited about supernatural and im a fan of VD but in my oppinion supernatural is wayyyyyy better than VD…i think supernatural has everything i need in a tv show and the relationshiop btw sam and dean is perfect!!! dont like when people say bad things about this show..if you dont f!”·$%ing like the show, then justo dont bother in talking about it!

18. Katy says:

I seem to be in a rare minority that I love all the shows mentioned! I’m a huge fan of GG, VD, SPN, Nikita and 90210. I feel that these shows all have something to offer and I definietly don’t think you can even compare VD to SPN cuz they’re completely different shows – the only element they have in common is that they’re both about the supernatural world. Ither than that they are nothign slike so to try and compare them is silly. The only shwos I think you can compare are GG and 90210, while i like them both, I really think they are very similar shows set in very different cities – small time bro n sis try to make it with teh rich popular kids?????? But as i said I still love both shows – every time i watch one, i’m like i like this one better and then i put teh other on and change my mind again lol.

19. Damon says:

Gossip Girl will end after the sixth season. It’ll get renewed for a sixth season without any doubt, due to it doing ok in the US and really good internationally.

Blake Lively, who is the actress with most success from the series will not sign a new contract, and as far as I know, none of the main cast has any plans on doing it either.

But she’s the one who has the brightest future.

• Paris says:

Blake can’t act. I cringe whenever she has a scene in gossip girl. the only thing she has going for her is her body and face. That is why she gets these movie roles. I think Leighton should get more recognition. She is a far superior actress than Blake.

• Damon says:

Perhaps. I’m not sure whether you’ve seen her in a proper movie, while I do enjoy Gossip Girl, I wouldn’t say anyone’s inputs as actors are especially good in GG :-)

The Town was very good, and the smaller role that she had in it; she pulled off beautifully.

• Paris says:

Oh I’ve seen her and she did not impress me. Why do u think they only gave her a small role? Because her acting is terrible.

20. Samantha says:

Great….more filler for GG unless they actually give Nate something to do than look hot this season. I use to love GG but it really sucked last season. OTH doesn’t need more episodes it just needs to die already! That show went downhill after about the 3rd/4th season and more stories to tell? like what? more babies/marriages? YAWN! And 90210 is also horrible. I really hope The CW has some success this year with The Ringer, The Secret Circle, Hart of Dixie one because they really need to get rid of this dead weight they have here…. Only good shows remaining are, TVD, Supernatural and maybe Nikita? (not sure I don’t watch it but it looks good) :P

21. Samantha says:

^ You’re probably right about Blake Lively having the brightest future but its sad because she’s the worst actress on the show imo. She’s not even average imo.. The others act circles around her but because she has the ‘looks’ that will get her far.

22. nina says:

and sooo happy spnl gets more episodes i love it

23. Jason says:

Ah, another post that simply mentions the word ‘Supernatural,’ and the freakin’ nutjobs come out of the woodwork to argue their petty little complaints (“too much Cas, not enough Cas, too much Jared, too much Dean, not scary enough, too scary, boring stories, not enough episodes, bad writers, redundant, I’m not watching, I’ll give it two episodes…”).

For the love of all that’s good about television, will you so-called “fans” just stop watching the show and go away. It’s obvious you can’t just watch the show and appreciate that the network is giving you more of “your boys,” so just pick up your toys and go watch Glee or something idiotic like that. It’s just unbelievable how petty and moronic you all sound.

• kenni says:

You are so right. Even though I haven’t liked everything, Supernatural is still a great show and if you don’t like it, don’t watch it and quit whining about it.

24. Brandy says:

I’m so excited 90210, Gossip Girl,Nikita got more episodes. OTH wont get more episodes cause its midseason and in its final season i don’t think it needs more eppys or has too much more stories to tell.I’m looking foward to season 9 but wouldve been ok if it ended at 8. IMO, VD is way better than SPN. I actually loved season 4 of GG.

25. Destiny says:

I am a huge fan of SPN and of right now, I have no problem with what their doing. I was kinda wary of the beginning of Season 6 when they brought Sam back soulless, but I think it made a great storyline. I love Cas, but I’m okay with his storyline being over. I started watching Supernatural ’cause of Sam and Dean and their relationship. And I’m totally excited the Supernatural has 23 episodes this year, though if I were working on the show, I would probably have a different opinion. :)

26. Adam Higgins says:

Want to see you favorite Gossip Girl characters made into Barbie Dolls?

27. Ely says:

Why couldn’t Smallville be around for this? Instead of adding an additional “hour” to the series finale, all they did (CW) was put together episodes 21+22, which sucks because when they announced that there was to be a two-hour series finale, I thought that meant there will be an extra hour thrown in… so sad. But nonetheless the finale rocked, and I was very pleased with the final season of the show! :)