TVLine Items: Alphas and Thrones Castings, Stamos in Revived Dead Lawyers, and More

Alphas is spicing up its already extraordinary debut season with a slew of special, genre TV-friendly guests. Here’s when you can look forward to seeing faves from shows such as Terminator and Star Trek: TNG hit Syfy this summer:

For starters, erstwhile Bionic Woman Lindsay Wagner will bring her Warehouse 13 character, Dr. Vanessa Calder, to Alphas on Aug. 15. Geek goddess Summer Glau appears Aug. 22, followed the week thereafter by her Terminator: The Sarah Connor Chronicles costar-turned-Raising Hope grandpa Garret Dillahunt.

Next, as previously reported by TVLine, Lost‘s Rebecca Mader will pop up on Sept. 12, playing an alpha whose abilities must be seen to be believed. That same episode also guest-stars Brent Spiner (Star Trek: The Next Generation).

Ready for more of today’s TV dish? Well…

• Gemma Whelan (Gulliver’s Travels) has been tapped to play Theon’s fierce older sister, Yara — aka the character known in the books as Asha — during the second season of HBO’s Game of Thrones, per EW.com.

• Bravo announced Tuesday the renewal of three series: The Real Housewives of Orange County will be back for a seventh season; Top Chef Masters has been picked up for a fourth; and Million Dollar Listing LA has landed a fifth installment. In addition to the returning shows, the cabler has ordered three new reality projects: Around the World in 80 Plates, a globe-trotting culinary competition; Paint the Town, a docu-drama about New York-based art gallery employees; and Newlyweds: The First Year, which follows a half-dozen couples from the day they wed to their first anniversary.

Ana Gasteyer has been bumped up to recurring player on ABC’s new comedy Suburgatory (premiering Sept. 28), EW.com reports. The Saturday Night Live funnylady guest-stars in the pilot as an overbearing, rose-pruning neighbor of Jeremy Sisto’s new ‘burbs resident.

• Sony TV is reviving Dead Lawyers, a high-concept legal drama that Syfy put on the backburner nearly eight years ago and now will be pitched to other outlets, Deadline reports. John Stamos is tapped to star in the new pilot, with Justified showrunner Graham Yost co-writing and executive-producing.

Which TVLine Items have you talking today?

1. XK says:

Alphas has been a little (ok, a lot) flat so far, but I’ll at least stick around for Summer and Garret (who kicked ass in Life).

• Justin says:

Alphas has been awesome! I love how the series is progressing so far, with Red Flag and Binghampton. Putting Eureka, Warehouse 13 and Alphas back-to-back is one heck of a lineup.

• Alex says:

Just after I take the show off of my DVR lineup I have to put it back on for Summer… and I completely agree the show is very flat.

2. Matt says:

I’m not sure how I feel about the Alphas universe being rolled in with the other Syfy shows. Eureka and Warehouse 13 I get – they have a similar humorous tone and fantastical content, but Alphas so far has been both darker and more grounded in reality. I actually like all three shows – it just seems like an odd fit.

• KoleBigEars says:

I totally agree! The suspension of disbelief in Eureka and W13 is easy. Alphas is too much like reality. What’s next…cats and dogs getting along?!? :P

• Evan says:

Next will be finding a way to intergrate Haven.

• Ace says:

Actually, if they’re going to do a crossover with Alphas, Haven fits a lot better than Warehouse 13 or Eureka. It has a similar dark tone, and a similar theme of humans with unusual abilities.

• Justin says:

I, for one, have no problem with this. Wagner’s character is a talented doctor. How could you not use her in all three shows?

• wordsmith says:

Not saying the character won’t fit in on Alphas, but I’m worried about the implications of both shows taking place in one world. With two teams investigating dangerous paranormal phenomena, wouldn’t they run into each other like every other week? A wouldn’t crazy Warehouse artifact mojo make Alpha-power drama seem like a joke? It’s a bit like the inherent problems of a Batman/Superman crossover.

• Justin says:

Unless a crossover episode is made, there’s no need to worry. I totally agree about Batman/Superman crossovers, but DC is upfront about that. There has been no news about an Alphas/Warehouse 13 or Alphas/Eureka crossover episode, and most likely it will never happen. Alphas are people, not artifacts from decades or centuries ago. Warehouse 13, to my knowledge, has never had a human artifact. They’ve always been objects, which totally contradicts with Alphas.

• Pam says:

This is exactly what I thought when I read the info. WH13 is simply too lighthearted to have a crossover with Alphas, imo.

3. champmav says:

Just want to say that after seeing Raising Hope’s Garret Dillahunt do comedy SO WELL, I am really impressed with his acting range (usually stuck playing baddies) and have become a great fan of his! I hope other’s see what I see.

• Sarah says:

Oh, definitely. I’ve seen him in a lot and he can do anything across the spectrum. Burt is my favorite character on Raising Hope, he gets the absolute best lines.

• Elizabeth says:

I LOVE Raising Hope.
      Garret and Martha Plimpton are amazing. And they are great together!

4. Robroy says:

Nice to see Spiner back. Was just wondering what they planned for him as we only saw a brief, heavily made-up, flash of him in the pilot.

5. ash says:

Why would they change Asha’s name on GoT? Strange.

6. KMG says:

I’m trying to like Alphas, because I love their other scripted shows (Eureka, W13, and Haven), but so far it seems like just an even-whinier version of X-Men. I like Strathairn, but his character is no leader – he seems to be apologizing to everyone, and never the slightest bit authoritative. They spend the whole time arguing with each other and talking over each other… it’s like they crossed X-Men with The View. (dear God, THAT concept makes my stomach lurch!)

• Apple says:

Yes! Exactly, it is like X-Men meets the View; you articulated exactly what I was thinking. I wanted Strathairn to be more bad ass, and the two gals are interchangable; the girl with the sniffing/staring into space power has zero charisma. Wish they’d have at least one bad ass chick instead of two dull make up counter girls.

7. Apple says:

The Alpha’s pilot was a little wan, like everybody in it except the two female leads; they were both equally dull; who fights crime in JC Penny’s “Workin’ Gal” ensembles? Wished it was looser, the plot was predictable. It was a premiere I was looking forward to, but it was underwhelming.

8. Intelliwoman says:

Unfortunately, as a real science fiction fan, I find Alphas boring. I’ll stick around for a bit, but I fear poor casting and not so good writing will mean tune out for me unless they improve

9. Steve T says:

Watched the first episode of Alphas, didn’t like it enough to watch again. And I like David Straitharn in everything he does.

10. L says:

So, they think guest stars can save this boring show. Not for long. I already canceled my season pass.

11. L says:

They should have picked up Three Inches with James Marsters instead of boring Alphas.

12. L says:

Finally, people are admitting in public that Alphas is not all super fabulous like they thought it would be or it was hyped to be.

13. L says:

I don’t like any of the characters.

14. James C says:

ON W13 Pete has his bad feeling/precognition sense, and jinks (jenks? the new guy) can sense lies, could probably make the connection that they’re alpha’s too

15. Joe says:

Actually, I liked Alphas more than the others. The humor disguises the plot holes in the others- very cartoony. I like my sci-fi grittier and more real. The ethical arguments dramatized in Alphas is very relevant to current medical research.

16. Joe says:

I think the latest episodes of Alphas with the inspired guest casting are quite brilliant! IMHO, they showcase the conflicted idealistic humane core of the show’s concept. I could get used to more of these!