Fall TV Preview

House Scoop: Knocked Up Actress Joins Team

Is laughter the best medicine? Fox’s House may put that axiom to the test with the addition of funny lady Charlyne Yi as a series regular.

House Exclusive: New Details on Season 8 Premiere

A stand-up comedienne whose acting credits include Judd Apatow’s Knocked Up, the semi-autobiographical docu Paper Heart (which she wrote, and costarred then-beau Michael Cera), and NBC’s Love Bites, Yi is joining the medical drama as another new addition to the Princeton-Plainsboro diagnostics team.

House Exclusive: Cuddy’s Replacement Will Be [Major Spoiler Alert]!

Yi and fellow newbie Odette Annable (Brothers & Sisters) effectively fill the void left by Amber Tamblyn (whose med student Martha Masters exited stage left last spring) and Olivia Wilde (who is expected to only make a handful of appearances this season as Thirteen).

House premieres its eighth season on Monday, Oct. 3, now airing at 9/8c. Yi first appears in the new cycle’s second episode.

What do you think of this latest addition to House‘s team? Do you think that the new doc, if she possesses any of Yi’s comic chops, might manage to disarm House?

Comments (169)

• Charlotte Yi sounds like an odd fit to me, but I’m guessing she’s a replacement of sorts for Amber Tamblyn as the quirky female House buts heads with. I’m guessing this Odette the beautiful person who can’t act will only be there during House’s prison episodes. Nobody said she was joining the team for the whole season, did they? Maybe she’s a knockout he has a thing with while in prison. She reminds me of the other beautiful person who couldn’t act they had for a few episodes. Michael Michele? She was supposed to be a CIA doctor or something ridiculous and joined House’s team for a few episodes but she was incompetent and it was clear to everyone that he only kept her around for her looks and she got fired. So maybe Odette is Michael Michele, part deux.

Comment by jules – August 3, 2011 10:00 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Oooo this looks interesting! Although I still miss Martha Masters, I could deal with this new doctor taking her place. The team is going to be larger than ever!

Comment by Chris – August 3, 2011 10:33 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Ok, I’m curious, I think Cuddy’s absence created a domino effect and a lot of things have changed.

Comment by Gaby – August 3, 2011 10:56 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Alicia,

If you think Hugh Laurie is open to the idea of additional seasons past this one, I have a nice bridge to sell you.

He is SO DONE. He has declared this time and time again and people STILL insist on speculating about it? There is no way on this earth he is going past this season. It all ends here.

Comment by nobodysfool – August 3, 2011 02:07 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Yeah, because Hugh miss his wife and children, do you read his last interview? He wants season 8 is the last because he wants to be more present for his family

Comment by carla – August 4, 2011 11:17 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Why oh why do people keep writing things about how the gap will not be filled up with these new additions for Lisa’s place? They are NOT taking Lisa’s place and for the zillionth time…no one could. The thing is, these people are replacing (as several articles already pointed out) Martha Masters and 13. They are not anything other than this. Michael Pare is going to be a guest star not a team member and we will have to wait and see whose cast as DOM. My vote: Wilson.

Comment by yusostupid – August 3, 2011 02:10 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • ”no one could” are you kidding? Vogler, Sam, Wilson, Taub Chase or Foreman taking ”Lisa’s place”
      So simple.

Comment by carla – August 4, 2011 11:21 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I’m still holding out for Masters to come back… Getting rid of her wasn’t one of their better idea’s.

Comment by Anon-e-mouse – August 3, 2011 03:22 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Its incredible that the anti-Cuddy, Huddy-hater crowd is still foaming at the mouth all these months later. Get a life, please. LE has moved on and you should too.

This casting news does not inspire either interest or confidence going into the final season of “House.”. I am afraid they will spend valuable time “introducing and exploring” these new characters, rather than focussing on House and the incredible talent of Hugh Laurie. The decline of this once-great show is painful to watch now.

Comment by Cara – August 3, 2011 04:42 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • ahahahahaha so funny! So…why are you here, uh?

Comment by carla – August 4, 2011 11:23 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • house md rip

Comment by alondra – August 3, 2011 05:49 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Oh dear lord, is this how the show is going to end? House used to be my favorite show, and I wasn’t against the idea of H/C at the end of Season 6 (the finale of which was pretty much the last really incredible episode we’ve gotten — they should have ended it there), but then they slowly and tortuously butchered it throughout Season 7, and now the show is barely recognizable. I really have trouble seeing how they’re going to pull off Season 8 with any semblance of dignity. At least HL’s probably leaving before Shore can continue pulling any more of this crap.

And to LE haters: come on, she’s been one of the core elements of the show since its inception, and even though IMO she’s not the most talented actor on the show, she still deserves some respect.

Comment by Brea – August 3, 2011 05:53 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • All actors deserve respect. If you don’t like House md anymore why you are here? Stop watching, be happy.

Comment by carla – August 4, 2011 11:38 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Ugh. I’ve actually been annoyed by all the negativity fans have been spewing lately, but this one tears it for me. I’m not sure how I missed it when it was new news, but now that I’ve seen it, I think it’s as good a time as any to walk away from HOUSE and say the car thing was at least a…umm…an ending.

Comment by Russ Burlingame – August 8, 2011 04:58 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Well, I don’t know for other but if they were only Hugh,the show would have been boring. We can only appreciate House because he interacts with ohter persons who are all different.
    We can’t be too ingrate with the characters.

Also, something I don’t understand, why all women on House get Hate ?
    I’m really not a Huddy fan, I found Cameron slightly annoying, I like thirteen and Cuddy was alright if not bitchy sometime but they were needed. Without women the show is a bore… Why everyone wnat them to get off the show ?

Comment by French fangirl – August 8, 2011 09:48 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • i think casting her was a smart move. it was getting boring with taub and chase. charlyne and odette is a great combo from what i’ve seen in episodes 1 + 2. it’s piqued my interest in the show again. check charlyne on youtube conan cracked me up.

Comment by yvr – October 10, 2011 06:56 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • It’s true that it is hard to find a good Asian actor. House Md is an example but goes on from there.

Comment by tom – August 15, 2013 11:34 PM PDT  Reply To This Post