Awkward Burning Questions: Will Jenna Choose Matty or Jake? Who Wrote the Letter?

High school is a confusing place, especially on MTV’s new teen comedy series Awkward. (Tuesdays, 11/10c). Matty likes Jenna, but he won’t go public with their relationship. Matty’s best friend, Jake, also likes Jenna, but he’s got a girlfriend. And Jenna is just trying to make it through high school unscathed, but that’s become impossible after her accident-misconstrued-as-a-suicide-attempt snafu. So to sort through the confusion, we went to creator Lauren Iungerich with our burning questions.

Why Jenna? Why now? | After years of being invisible, Jenna caught the eye of Matty, the most popular kid in school. But it took a trip to summer camp for something to finally happen. “I like to think they were counselors at [the] camp,” explains Iungerich. “He was away from his group of friends, and it enabled him to see a different girl and have a different kind of relationship.” So will we get flashbacks to that redefining experience? “I never thought about it,” admits Iungerich, who adds that the first season has already wrapped production. “I have an idea for a flashback in the second season.”

Will Jenna end up with Matty or Jake? | Don’t get too comfortable, Jenna/Matty – Jetty? – fans. The two may have kissed in last week’s episode, but Jenna’s love life is about to get a lot more complicated. Look for Matty to make a surprising declaration in this week’s episode. “I want to keep hitting you with great stuff, and then pull the rug out,” says Iungerich. “Really [portray] it how kids are – really fickle. They’re still figuring themselves out. It’s not all perfectly mapped out emotionally.” A map might actually be needed to chart the romantic feelings on Awkward. Sadie’s interest in Matty and Jake’s tense relationship with girlfriend, Lissa, will turn the “very complicated and fun love triangle” between Matty, Jenna and Jake into one very messy kerfuffle. Oh, and did we mention “maybe there’s a new guy” too?

Iungerich compares the love triangle to Felicity‘s Ben vs. Noel dilemma — “I tried to do my best to make you fall in love with both boys,” she says — but unlike the first season of that WB series, there will be a very clear victor by season’s end. “You will know who she ends up with at the end of Episode 12,” she promises. “It’s such a romantic episode. It’s also incredibly heart-wrenching for many reasons.”

Will Lissa give it up to keep Jake? | As Jake and Jenna grow closer, Lissa will pull out all the stops – and we mean all – just short of giving up her virginity to draw Jake back. Look for a pretty hilarious attempt at seduction in tonight’s episode. “He’s pulling away because he’s starting to feel like there’s something missing in their relationship,” says Iungerich. “And she’s seeing that missing piece as sex.” Unfortunately for Lissa, the problem is much deeper. “In reality, it might be the fact that she’s emotionally a little vapid,” continues Iungerich.

Who wrote the kick-in-the-behind letter to Jenna? | Don’t look for the mystery to be a huge a part of the show, but it will weave in and out. “In one of the episodes, something that’s written on the letter, somebody [relays] to [Jenna],” previews Iungerich. “That becomes an investigation.” Although “there are lots of suspects,” Iungerich promises that viewers will “find out who wrote it [by the end of the season].” One thing she won’t give up: Whether we’ve seen the culprit on screen already. “I can’t tell you that because that’s the fun of the mystery,” she says with a smile.

1. TJ says:

Never thought that I’d watch anything on MTV, but this is actually a pretty enjoyable show. I’m interested to see where they go with it.

2. Adrian says:

This show is really good and i was extremely suprised because MTV’s other original shows have done nothing for me.

3. Tee says:

I’m so glad TV Line clued folks in about this show because I’d never heard of it and, I can’t even remember the last time I watched/liked anything on MTV. This show really surprised me, enjoying it so far! Jenna’s actress is really cute.

4. www.goelectronsotre.com says:

5. fernando says:

I am in love with this show, it’s very cute, it’s something THE WB would have done, good job MTV for this summers show, both Awkward and Teen Wolf are awesome shows.

6. Kel says:

I adore this show, it is so awesomely uncomfortable and funny! I agree Awkward and Teen Wolf are both quality shows!

7. Cici says:

Awesome show!!! The charaters are cute. Especially the guys!!!

8. Rachel says:

Jenna has to end up with Matty! Them as a couple make the show! I don’t see her with Jale but I think the two should stay close friends but Jenna should definitely choose Matty McKibben to date!

9. Hannah says:

This show is awesome!!! I love every part of it and I really hope Matty will go public with jenna because he really is a nice guy!! Can’t wait to see what happens!!!!!!!!

10. Grace says:

I really think Jenna should choose Matty. He may be self-conscious right now but he really does care about her. Jake is a nice guy but i think he should just be Jenna’s really good guy friend like her confidant. I love Awkward its amazing and real too!

11. patty says:

love jake and jenna!! he ‘s just perfect, matty is a little stupid!

12. Taylene says:

No way u guys are wrong!!!!!Jenna and Jake should end up together hes soo much nicer the Matty,plus Matty is a loser pluz Jake seems to really care bout her :):)

• Cassettetape says:

No, no, no, NO! Jenna and Matty HAVE to end up together! I’m on the edge of my seat waiting for it! And Sadie is a b**ch who needs to get whats coming to her. I dealt with girls like her in hs and I was a Jenna. Jenna needs to kick Sadies a**!!!! And, Jenna’s mom is a whack!!

13. Hope says:

Love this show:)

One of my new favorites!

14. Paulina says:

Matty is immature at all, he doesnt want to be with girl publicly(cause shes not popular or sth?). Jake is much better for Jenna! I adore every scene with Jenna and Jake conversation. He cares about her. They got a chemistry. She deserves a guy who wants to BE with her and Jake deserves a girlfriend who will be also his friend(theres nothing between him and Lissa). Hope Jenna and Jake end up together- love them as a couple!!!

15. Sierra says:

I think that jenna and jake should definately go out ! If matty really liked her he would go out with her in public . Jake actually cares about her and they make a really good couple :)

16. zee says:

TEAM MATTY all the way! The only reason Jenna should try it out with Jake is so that Matty can finally realize how much he likes her :) Jetty forever <3

• Mariah says:

I knoww!!!! matty and jenna, theyre the best couple ever!!, i hate jenna being with jake (mattys best friend)

17. nicole says:

woww, so jake has a clueless girlfriend, and on the other hand Matty never wants to be seen with her. Woww -_- Jake isnt that cute. But matty is. PICK MATTYYY!!!!

• suck on that bitch says:

Nobody likes matty he’s cute but a jerk and he doesnt want to be seen around school with ehr or in public so he’s a jerk and i dont think there good together. but jake is cute and doesnt care what people think so. JAKE all the way

18. Alyssa says:

JENNA AND MATTY ALL THE WAY, i really hope they get together and stay together!

19. M says:

Jake,Matty it’s so hard to choose…NOT! Jake and Jenna! Sure,Matty may care for her,but Jake cares for her more. I love all of Jake and Jenna’s moments together!

20. punkin says:

I sooo think that the person that wrote her the letter was her school therapist,! everything leads to her now i bet im right!

21. Stephanie says:

I’m so anxious for next season, can’t wait! Still rooting for Jenna and Matty although I love Jake. And the letter has to be from her mom right?

22. bree says:

JAKE AND JENNA SHOULD BE TOGETHER CUZ THEY ARE PERFECT FOR EACH OTHER…and cuz they look cute together!:D…matty is a jerk and i dont think he deserves a second chance,..like Jenna said,its already too late and that one of her doors have closed,causing another one to open(FOR JAKE:D)…and jake is the sweetest person and he does not push Jenne to do anything she does not want and does not rush her to do anything she is not ready to do…while Matty on the other hand,..all he did with Jenna was use her at first and does not even go out with her in public cuz he’s worried about his stupid reputation and he’s afraid to make a fool out of himself….Jake does not care about that,as long as he’s with Jenna and they are having fun together….anyways long story short, hope Jenna picks Jake(because he totally deserves it and loves her very much),and dump Matty(because he doesn’t know how to treat a girl)….JAKE ALL THE WAY!!I’M SORRY..I MEAN JANNA ALL THE WAY!!!(..or Jeke????)haha

23. Jennifer says:

I love the show! Never really watched anything else on tv but Awkward and Teen Wolf are amazing. I love the guys in awkward especially Jake <3

24. kayla says:

Jenna should totally pick matty! He iso cute they make a good couple and he obviously likes her alot! I mean dont get me wrong jake is a great guy but hes just not the one for jenna

MATTY AND JENNA ALWAYS N 4EVER!!!! <3 :)

25. Dezi says:

Im totally ALL 4 JAKE & JENNA I mean her and Matty COULD have been good but he screwed that up with his insecurities abiut how their relarionship would effect hiz reputation and TRUST ME….IF HE REALLY CARED ABOUT JENNA MORE THAN JAKE ER JUST THE SAME ER WUTEVA…HE WOULDNT CARE HOW THEIR RELATIONSHIP WOULD EFFECT HIZ REPUTATION CUZ ALL HE WOULD WANT AND CARE ABOUT IZ THEM BEING 2GETHA BUT THATZ ALL JAKE WANTZ AND JUST THE FACT THAT HE KNOWS EVERYTHING ABOUT HER FLAWS AND ALL AND HE STILL WANTS 2 B WIT HER IN PUBLIC ER NOT PROVES HEZ BETTA 4 HER CUZ JENNA DESERVES SUM1 THAT WILL B GOOD 2 AND 4 HER CUZ THE WAT MATTY DID HER WUZ WRONG AND SHE DIDNT DESERVE THAT……ANYWAY….JAKE+JENNA 4EVEZ:P

26. madelyn says:

SHE HAS TO BE WITH JAKE HE CARED FOR HER IN THEBEGINING MATTY DIDNT CARE AND HE HURT HER SO MUSH SHE WOULD TURN RED BUT HONESTLY U MATTY FANS ARE STUPID LOOK HOW HE IS LIKE Y WOULD U WANT A GUY LIKE THWAT AND THE JAKE FANS U RULE CUZ HE TOTTALLY DERSEVES JENNA TEAM JAKE!!!!!!

27. Kylie says:

28. Kalaylay says:

Ive never really watched anything on MTV until i found AWKWARD…I loved Matty from the beginning and i also fell in love with Jake. Even though Matty has done some things you can tell that he really truly cares and still does care about Jenna. I really think that Jenna and Matty should have been more careful of what they did during there time of their relationship because then they might not have broken up. But on the other side Jake never cared about what other people will think about his relationship with Jenna. I cant choose between them because they both have unique qualities. In the end whatever happens will happen for a reason and for whatevers best… I <3 YOU AWKWARD! :D !!!!

29. Skittles says:

Jake and Jenna are reallyyyy cute together i think Jenna and Jake should be together they are perfect together. And Matty doesnt even want to be seen with her. I understand that she still has feelings for Matty but she should be with Jake because he really cares fo her and he is there for her.!!! Soo im hoping she picks JAKEEE. :DDDD. Teammm Jakee all the wayyyy!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I really hope its Jakeee.(:

• Team Jake from Awkward123 says:

Jake and Jenna!! I am not really feeling it with Matty i watched the episode yesterday and fat ass Sadie told Jake that Matty and Jenna were in a relationship!! what a b!tch!! cant wait till next week to see what happens Team Jake yay!!!!!!!!!!!!!! i hope jake forgives her!!!!!!!!!!!1111 :{

30. AwkwardLove says:

I absolutely love this show!
    I think that the writer did a really good job at making us fall in love with both guys. It’s soooo hard to choose! Matty is the one she initially wanted to be with, and if this was a classic romantic comedy scenario, they probably would’ve ended up together. But there’s nothing cliché about this show and there’s really no way to know who she truly wants to be with.
    She obviously has feeling for both of them (who wouldn’t!) but if I’m gonna be honest here, I have to say…I’m team Jake. It’s not only that he doesn’t care about what other people think. It’s how he can pull Jenna away from all this partying crap, make her forget everything and just talk and laugh for hours. He wasn’t a simple crush/fantasy of Jenna’s like Matty when they first hooked up, he was a friend and by spending time with him, she eventually fell ”head over heels” in love with his charming self. He makes her into the person she wants to be. I would love to find a guy like that, but they’re so rare. She should definetly fight for him!

31. jen says:

She should choose matty he’s cute and sweet team MATTY forever jake is eww they should be friends

32. KJH says:

maTTTTTTY. OR ELSE THE SHOW WILL SUCK—–

33. people soso says:

Heyyyyy

34. people soso says:

Jake pick jake he truely loves u!

35. people soso says: