Up All Night Ups Maya Rudolph's Presence, Turns Character Into Oprah-like Talk Host

The new NBC comedy Up All Night, which bows in mid-September, is making some adjustments that will necessitate three days’ worth of pilot reshoots, a network rep confirms for TVLine.

As originally produced, Up All Night had the characters played by Christina Applegate and Maya Rudolph working at a public relations firm, and a chunk of the pilot revolved around them lobbying to land a new, heartthrob actor client (played by Modern Family‘s Reid Ewing). But now, perhaps because of the big buzz Rudolph’s Bridesmaids courted at the movieplex this summer, “We decided to change the workplace all together, to give Maya a better platform to do her thing,” NBC boss Robert Greenblatt revealed to reporters on Monday.

Fall TV First Impression: Baby Blues Keep Applegate and Arnett Up All Night

The result: Instead of playing an ambitious, hard-partying flack, Rudolph’s Ava is now “a larger-than-life talk show host, and Christina will play her producer.” Specifically, Ava will host an inspirational daytime talker in the vein of Oprah — someone whom Rudolph famously spoofed on SNL.

Explaining the switch-up, exec producer Lorne Michaels says that only “the office part” of the show will change, because the dynamic between [Reagan and Ava] is less partners in a business, because they each have their roles. It’s more thought-through.”

Up All Night will air Wednesdays at 8/7c, starting Sept. 21, after getting a sneak preview Sept. 14 at 10 pm.

1. ryanandhobbes says:

This is fantastic.

2. Travis says:

Lorne, Emily, I beg of you to make this good. Adding a fourth great NBC comedy (I’ve never been fond of The Office) would make my life complete. Especially if 30 Rock is losing Alec Baldwin after this year or either Community/P&R get cancelled (god forbid).

• Jake says:

Im Hoping P&R wins the Best Comedy Emmy this year and then it would kind of make it safe. Has there been shows that have been cancelled after they won a Best Series emmy?

3. abc123 says:

I love Maya Rudolph so I’m thrilled by this news! They probably should reshoot the pilot since she was visibly pregnant in it. I hope next year we get to see a show starring or co-starring Kristen Wiig. Then the SNL funny lady collection will be complete!

• brandy says:

Um, there is already an NBC show starring Kristen Wiig. It’s called “Saturday Night Live”. (And I love it)

• abc123 says:

Um, obviously I expect her to leave soon. Fey, Poehler and Rudolph all left when their respective movie careers took off and now they’re all in television, in PRIMETIME. Seriously, how stupid are you to not have made the connection?

• DDB says:

I don’t know if you intended to make it sound like they had failed film careers, but Fey and Poehler both left SNL for their current sitcoms, and not to do movies exclusively.

• abc123 says:

I know, but both had big movies coming out the year they left SNL. But yeah, it was primarily to do TV.

• Matt says:

Abc123, I think Brandy was making a joke, seeing as how Wiig isn’t really the “star” of SNL, just that they force her to do so much that she feels like the star of the show. How stupid must you feel for not getting a joke, then calling that person stupid?

• abc123 says:

Nice angling, but no, she wasn’t. Also, when people start their response with “um” it already indicates some kind of hostility towards the original poster, which is why I retaliated in a hostile manner – hence the “stupid” comment.

4. RTA says:

Let this woman shine y’all!!! Maya is a terrific comedic actress and both Christina and her will carry this show hopefully to ratings success.

5. Sg. Grant says:

This show will probably get around 4 million viewers, as does every NBC comedy, and eventually get cancelled.

6. Eric says:

I loved Maya Rudolph’s Oprah on SNL, so this could be fun!

7. John says:

Hmmm…this smells very much like a “guys in suits” change to the show…especially since I’m sure Maya Rudolph would have gotten to be plenty funny in a normal job. Hope this doesn’t muck up the groundedness of the rest of the show.

8. lipsticksocialism says:

love this news!! maya is fantastic

9. Josh says:

Does that mean no Reid Ewing? :(

10. Kevin says:

Reid is one of my favorite parts of Modern Family, I hope they use him here.