Switched at Birth Pops Out 22-Episode Pickup

ABC Family has ordered an additional 22 episodes of Switched at Birth in what the network is billing as a “full first season order.”

Birth‘s initial 10-episode run concludes Aug. 8; the new batch of episodes will air in early 2012.

“Viewers have fallen in love with this show, just as we did when we first saw it,” said ABC Family prez Michael Riley in a statement. “We set out this year to bring viewers more original content than ever before, all with the trademarks of our bright, authentic, quality storytelling. We’re so thrilled to see this series become a break-out hit this summer and become a key component of our programming lineup into next year.”

Birth regularly ranks as Monday’s No. 1 series in ABC Family’s target demo of females 12-34.

1. mandy says:

I am so happy but not surprised to hear this. It is an amazing show. The writing is terrific, the actors are amazing. This has been my favorite new show in a long time!

• lorna says:

The show is not bad, but it makes me sad bc it’s similar to Life Unexpected, and has Jones from that show in it.

• Melosm says:

I agree! This show was my favorite of the summer. I was hooked immediately. Very happy they are bringing it back for a full season.

Iorna– it does have a Life Unexpected vibe to it. I wish ABC Family had both. Maybe it would have lasted longer.

2. Bri says:

what about Make It Or Break It?

3. Colleen says:

Big yea on this one, the show is amazing!

4. jen says:

this is my favorite new show! so happy to hear it’ll be back! it’s so much better than all the other typical ABC Family shows (secret life, pretty little liars, that new one coming out that looks like PLL..ugh)

5. kate says:

I love this show!! I love ABC Family shows! But it’s so frustrating to wait for 2012 for the new eps! How am I gonna last that long?

6. maj says:

good to hear! any word on Chloe King?

7. Dirk says:

Great news, but this is an awful headline.

8. jay says:

Brilliant, I love this show, 10 was too few.

9. Chmarin says:

Meh. Just cancel ABC Family all together. Ever since GREEK ended there’s nothing on that network worth watching. Their lineup is pretty disgusting, actually.

• Douche says:

This is the new Greek.

• filmex says:

“Greek”, which was a GREAT show early in its run, left the air in such pathetic fashion that it’s hard to remember a show more deserving of leaving the air.
      It was as if all the behind-the-scenes talent that made the show great had all departed a year and a half before the show ended to find other gigs, because that last season of episodes almost seemed to exist to make the fan base okay with the show leaving the air–like your favorite dog who, humanely, has to be put down because of old age issues.
      All the Greek fans I know were happy when it ended, if THAT’S what had become of it.
      BTW, “Switched” is great, the two actresses playing the girls are superb.

• Michael says:

Here’s an idea: don’t freakin’ watch ABC Family. I know it might have taken you a while to come up with that all on your own, so I figured that a nudge in the right direction will help.

While do people feel it necessary to criticize shows they don’t watch and condemn full season pickups because they are bitter about a show’s cancellation? Get over it and let those of us who enjoy the programs on the channel to enjoy them without comments from the peanut gallery.

• Stephanie says:

THANK you! My sentiments exactly. I don’t understand people who complain about one thing that has nothing to do with the other. No more bitter pills for you!

• Tee says:

I loved Greek to begin with but couldn’t even stand watching it by the end, unfortunately. I like Switched at Birth though. It’s the only thing I watch on that network now.

10. Carol says:

A truly quality show; glad to hear it’s going to last.

11. Dana says:

I love this show. The acting is phenomenal considering the lead actress (Katie LeClerc) is not deaf, shes believable. I even have learned some sign language and am more intrigued by the hearing impared community. I like that this show sheds light on the subject. And, I like the casting choices, the people that are supposed to be related look related.

• Lisa says:

I read that she actually is deaf as well. From what I recall about the article, she went for a hearing test, and the results were that she needed hearing aids immediately. Since she wasn’t deaf at birth, that’s most likely the reason why there are differences in speech between her and the other wonderful actors who are deaf as well.

Glad the show has been renewed, interesting premise and dealt with in a realistic and caring way.

• lauren says:

Actually Katie has Meniere’s disease, which means every so often she goes completely deaf. I think it intensifies so eventually she will be completely deaf all the time. So she can hear, but she does have problems. Her acting is amazing in this show.

• Lisa says:

thanks for the clarification. I just remember reading that she does have hearing challenges as well.

• Dana says:

Oh, really? I didn’t know that, thanks. I guess I just assumed because I’ve seen interviews with her and she dosen’t speak as if shes hearing impared nor does she use sign language all the time. Nice to see someone deaf taking on the acting screen. Love Marlee Maitlin, btw.

• Sue says:

She is hard of hearing, practically totally deaf! Just for Ur 411

12. Sam says:

Okay, I’d like to believe this is a good show, but can someone who doesn’t regularly watch ABC Family confirm it? Besides Greek (and even that had it’s issues), I’ve never truly enjoyed an original show. Is this really worth my time?

• Jen says:

Sam, it is absolutely worth your time! I haven’t been hooked on a show like this in ages! Phenominal casting, great storylines, they introduce the audience to deaf culture in a way that is done so beautifully. I personally began looking into learning Sign Language after watching the first 8 episodes :) and hopefully I’m not the only one who feels this way, but often times I find myself watching shows where I only like one character, so i zone out during scenes they’re not in. Not so in this case, every character is multi-dimentional and has so much to bring to the story. I love being glued to the TV the entire hour just waiting to see what we’re going to learn next :)

• neldie says:

You are so right Jen! This show is definitely worth your time watching! I haven’t watched t.v. in forever and I’m hooked on this show. I truly hope you take the time to watch it Sam.

• Amy says:

I don’t like ABC Family, I watched this show on a whim and it only keeps getting better. Even the actress/character I didn’t really like in the beginning has grown on me.

• Lynne says:

I stopped watching ABCFam since Greek ended (I am still in denial and refuse to delete the episodes from my DVR), but when I saw the promos for this one, I was very curious. This show is really a standout amoung the channel’s very flat programs. Unlike Secret Life and PPL, which rely on overly dramatic storylines, SaB is very…Normal? The storylines are unique but not in an outlandish sort of way. I would atleast give it a shot and if you disagree, then to each their own.

• Amy Also says:

I don’t watch ABC Family and never had before Switched At Birth. I tried it out because I wanted to see how they portrayed the deaf community. I took American Sign Language in college and wanted to see how realistic the show is. This show is fantastic! One of my new favorite shows. The characters (and plots) are realistic and not over the top and the acting is excellent. Most of all they portray the deaf community in a very real and educational way (though I am no expert).

• Michelle says:

I can totally confirm that this is a great show. I don’t watch the network often…gave up on Secret Life last season. I’ve always been fascinated with the deaf community, which is why I decided to watch this. The storylines are believable, the actors are good, and they treat the deaf community with respect, allowing for those not familiar to understand some of what their day to day lives are like.

13. Amy says:

This is the only show worth watching on ABC Family. I hope they keep up with the great writing and acting and I am looking forward to the two remaining episodes and the rest in early 2012. Come on ABC Family, scrap everything else and follow SAB’s lead, this is what TV should be.

14. Captain says:

“ABC Family has ordered an ADDITIONAL 22 episodes of Switched at Birth”
    So is the first season going to be 22 or 32 episodes?

15. Me says:

Love the show. Still PO’d at ABC Family for cancelling some of their other great shows – Greek and 10 Things I Hate About You. Also, very miffed they aren’t showing reruns of Gilmore Girls at 5 pm anymore. Grrrr…….

16. Elizabeth says:

I thought I wouldn’t be intetested in this show at all. But I really enjoy it! Glad to see it’s getting a full season order.

Katie LeClerc is fantastic. I’d never seen her in anything before and I really like her. Got a little girl crush on her. Vanessa Marano I had seen on Dexter & Scoundrels and she’s great as well.

17. Rose says:

For those of you who dislike ABC Family Channel, “BOOHOO!!!!
    To much clean family for ya, and not all blood, guts & gore, and oh ya, not a whole show full of sex and violence.
    That’s the problem in this world, not enough “GOOD CLEAN” stuff. Almost all of the moral values are gone. Let’s keep shows like SAB coming so the up and coming generation will have some morals.
    Just my opinion & let me believe our future kids will have morals.
    Thanks for letting me sound off on this & ya all have a great day!!!

• Jamie says:

I don’t really know if I would say ABC family is all good clean stuff. While I watch a few shows from them (Greek, Switched at Birth) I would have to point at The Secret Life of the American Teenager shows these kids popping out babies, cheating left and right on each other, and getting married all while in high school! This isn’t a show I would let me kids watch. Not to mention they say sex at least 20 times every episode!

Anyways, I am glad that they decided to pick up additional episodes of Switched at Birth as it is a great up and coming show!

18. Eden says:

I love that show , actually it’s the only abc family show I like ( with pll ) it’s not like the secret life ( which is all about drama and sex , and I think the actors are kinda lame ) . I’m french and we don’t have good tv shows but when I saw this one , I was totally hooked , so happy for the 22 more episode .

( sorry if my english is weak , like i said , i’m french )

19. Cup of Joe says:

So mad awesome!

I got hooked ever since the first episode. I love both Bay’s sarcastic, artistic personality and Daphne’s positive, affable personality. Also, the people there are multi-dimensional, such as Toby’s dependable yet gambling-addicted character and Wilke’s lovable douche persona.

Hope to see a whole lot more soon!

20. Sue says:

I’m so glad to hear this! I really enjoy the show! My sisters and nieces ages 11 to 37 really enjoy it also! We don’t know what we are going to do till the new episodes air!!

21. Stephanie says:

This is only the second summer show I watch, next to True Blood. So I get all my sex and violence and gore on Sundays and get the antidote to all of that on Mondays. :P

22. MelindaB says:

My husband, daughter and I all enjoy this show–I just hope that it doesn’t get the Kyle XY treatment. (Yep, I’m still bitter.) This and Chloe King are two of our favorite shows this summer.

23. darlene says:

ppl who come to these sites that we like and they hate….don’t come here or to any site that u don’t like….duhhhhhhh simple. dont waste ur time or our time with something u don’t like. go to a DIFFERENT site. geesh, ur on the world wide web….and u have nothing better to do that complain??? get lost.

24. L says:

I live in England so we dont ‘get’ ABC family per se but i did happen to stumble upon SAB (online) quite by accident originally i thought it was a film of some kind but when I watched it. I was greatly impressed – I am obsessed with SAB and am intrigued by the deaf community, I dont know much about ABC family and a lot of you on here seem to have issues with the channel or whatever. However i think that SAB is great its got me research the deaf community and BSL (which im currently trying to learn) as for the extra episodes i’m really happy about them – one thing though I dont believe i can wait until next year its a bit unfair on their part and selfish on mine i guess. But i’m in love with the program.

Sorry for the essay lol :s
    we Brits love to talk :P

25. Jenny says:

How Can I wait till 2012!!! I can’t wait to see the new eps!!!! Can’t you make them cOme out in air sooner abc?!?! Plz!!!

26. crystal says:

I cant wait for the new episodes to come out…. I love this show

27. Kay Eure says:

Switched at birth is one of my favorite shows to watch! I hope it comes back on soon because I really enjoyed watching it :)