NBC Developing Sitcom Starring Will & Grace's Sean Hayes, Sets Premieres for VoiceSmash

Jack’s back! New NBC president Robert Greenblatt announced at the Television Critics Association’s summer press tour in Beverly Hills early Monday that the network is developing a new half-hour comedy starring Will & Grace Emmy winner Sean Hayes.

Other headlines coming out of the Peacock’s executive session…

* NBC is developing a new hour-long drama from Law & Order boss Dick Wolf about firefighters.

* Greenblatt will in fact use the Super Bowl to tee up the Season 2 launch of The Voice, on Sunday, Feb. 5, 2012. The Voice‘s two-hour time slot premiere will air the following night, from 8 to 10.

* The net’s very buzzy and much anticipated Smash, starring Debra Messing and Katharine McPhee, will premiere Monday, Feb. 6, at 10 pm (aka still too far away).

* Days of Our Lives is safe. For now. “We’re really happy with its performance,” said Greenblatt. “I think it’ll be on for a while.”

Comments (18)

• I’ll be happy as long as he’s scripted to shout “Hey, LADY!” at least once.

Comment by heather_kaye – August 1, 2011 09:37 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Looks like you and I are the only ones who remember he did a fantastic job as Jerry Lewis. :)

HEY LAYYYYYYYYYYYYYY Dee

Comment by Alienate – August 1, 2011 10:47 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • One of my all-time favorite moments in all of television was watching him and JEJones, screaming “Hey, lady” at each other. The very thought of it brings laughter-tears to my eyes.

Comment by heather_kaye – August 1, 2011 11:17 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • As long as Community and Parks & Rec aren’t bumped for this, I will check it out.

Comment by Elizabeth – August 1, 2011 09:37 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Wow. JUST JACK!

Comment by Michael – August 1, 2011 09:42 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Is it 2006 again already?

I’m willing to bet this will last less than a season. I’m a big fan of Sean Hayes, I really am…. but unless he’s playing Jack, I doubt the general public won’t care.

Comment by Timm – August 1, 2011 09:45 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Why not have him play Jack? Some great shows took fun characters from series that had ended and then placed them in new environments like Lou Grant (Mary Tyler Moore Show) and Frasier (Cheers). With the right writers it could be lots of fun!

Comment by JHarnes – August 1, 2011 09:58 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Happy about Days!! Hope it continues for a long time.

Comment by Ana – August 1, 2011 10:04 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Rescue Me is going off the air and NBC/Dick Wolf is developing a show about firefighters? Hmmm… Good luck with that.

Comment by Deena – August 1, 2011 10:34 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I still think they should make a spin off of Will and Grace – Karen and Jack.
    YAY FOR SMASH!!!!

Comment by Andre – August 1, 2011 10:46 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Great news! Sean Hayes is as talented and appealing as the late Donald O’Connor. I’m in.

Comment by Templar – August 1, 2011 10:50 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Although I don’t watch soaps, I fully expect either DAYS OF OUR LIVES or GENERAL HOSPITAL to be the last soap standing. I would hope for soap fans that this would lead to a rise in viewership to reward the network that lasted the longest.

Comment by John Berggren – August 1, 2011 01:29 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I’m confused about The Voice’s schedule on FOX. How is it going to air Monday at 8 or 9pm when there are shows in those slots? The fall shows at have Terra Nova at 8pm and House and 9pm. Then midseason it’s House at 8pm and Alcatraz at 9pm from what I recall.

Comment by Brian – August 1, 2011 02:33 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Isn’t The Voice on NBC?

Comment by P – August 1, 2011 03:18 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • You’re right! I was trying to wrap my head around it. Been watching too much FOX I think since that’s the only network that crossed my mind. Thanks!

Comment by Brian – August 1, 2011 04:13 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Will and Grace had its time in the sun and too much time has passed for a spin off now IMO I don’t think it would work; glad to see Sean Hayes back on TV though; and Smash sounds promising; are there any clips available?

Comment by ryaneco – August 1, 2011 08:18 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • OMG that’s soo awesome!!
    I love Sean…

and also: they should finally do a Will & Grace reunion, I know the show hasn’t been off the air for THAT long but still, I’d love to see a reunion!! <3

Comment by C. – August 2, 2011 05:28 AM PDT  Reply To This Post