Fall TV Preview

House Exclusive: Princeton-Plainsboro's New Dean of Medicine Will Be… [Major Spoiler Alert]!

It’ll be someone we’ve met before on the show!

Sources confirm to TVLine exclusively that producers are filling the Dean of Medicine post vacated by Lisa Edelstein’s Cuddy with a face familiar to fans of the Fox hit as opposed to bringing in a new cast member.

But who? I’ve been sworn to secrecy… except for the fact that I can reveal that Hugh Laurie’s new on-screen boss is one of the seven folks listed below. Peruse the options and then vote away in the comments!

Dr. Jeffrey Cole (Edi Gathegi): Though he was a real contender in House’s game of hospital Survivor, “Big Love” was eventually fired because he did the unthinkable: compromised with Cuddy. Perhaps there’s some unfinished business between him and his old boss…

House Shocker: The New Season Will Take Place in [Spoiler]!

Dr. James Wilson (Robert Sean Leonard): If House’s BFF were to ascend to Cuddy’s seat of power, it would inject some tension into one of TV’s most popular bromances. How far would our title doc push his pal? And how far would said pal let himself be pushed? Food for thought.

Dr. Eric Foreman (Omar Epps): He replaced House himself back in season 6 (after Mr. Testy quit), so he probably has a leg up on the competition. Or does he? Since we’ve also seen that he’s willing to rebel when he’s got cause, Princeton Plainsboro might be reluctant to put him in charge of House.

Dr. Robert Chase (Jesse Spencer): He’s another one that doesn’t shy away from controversial decisions. He deliberately killed a patient, you’ll recall. With good reason, but still. Such a wild card might be an insurance nightmare for PPTH, but a thrill ride for viewers.

Follow @MichaelAusiello on Twitter For House Scoop and Spoilers 24/7

Dr. Chris Taub (Peter Jacobson): Possibly the only candidate who is as willing to break the rules as he is good at getting away with doing so, this plastic surgeon is almost House’s obnoxious equal. Which is saying something. Not necessarily something nice, but you get the idea.

Dr. Sam Carr (Cynthia Watros): If Wilson’s radiologist first wife/ex-girlfriend were to make a comeback — and, in effect, as his boss, no less! — well, the fireworks all but set themselves off in this scenario! Beyond that potential rematch, even if she can handle her former spouse, could she handle House? Better bring the stun gun…

Edward Vogler (Chi McBride): When Cuddy talked the board of PPTH into keeping her then-future boyfriend and dumping its bucks-up new chairman — and his $100 million donation — House earned himself an enemy for life. If payback time is at hand, how steep would Vogler make the price?

Comments (508)

• I think it will be Sam. You need the domineering woman over house for there to continue to be punchlines and such. Plus, usually these shows replace characters with like characters. There is someone that has history of not taking Houses crap, has a medical degree, can turn into a love triangle with Wilson, her and House, and wasn’t a story killer, like Vogler. Foreman being in charge has been in place so many times, it just doesnt work. Chase is a whimp, Wilson could not control House, Taub just wouldn’t make for good story lines. I dont know about the last, but Sam would play nto just right.

Comment by Steven – August 2, 2011 10:35 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I think it should be Dr. Eric Foreman. he would make a great boss of house.

Comment by Jackylenn rodriegez – August 2, 2011 10:36 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • It should be Jennifer Morrison. i miss her

Comment by Ehsan – August 2, 2011 10:36 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Are stupid??? Jennifer Morrison is never coming back she died on the TITANIC!

Comment by Z – August 2, 2011 03:18 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Edward Volger would make an excellent choice for Dean of Medicine. We’ve already seen sparks fly between he and House before. This would make for some terrific conflict going forward.

Comment by Rob – August 2, 2011 10:36 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I don’t think Jeffrey Cole, Taub or Foreman are strong enough characters to do it. Edward Vogler was a jerk so I don’t think they’d hire him. That leaves Chase, Wilson or Sam. Each would be interesting but I think they’ll pick Sam to have another woman on the show. Maybe she’ll fall for House this time instead of Wilson!

Comment by Tara – August 2, 2011 10:38 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Vogler definitely! The others are just too weak and it would get boring quickly! When House gets out of jail to find Vogler in charge, it would be his mission to over power him (which would be make us craving more of that House personal charm)!!

Comment by Monica – August 2, 2011 10:39 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • If it’s Vogler I’m seriously boycotting House MD, he’s awfull!

Comment by Otte – August 2, 2011 10:40 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Vogler?! Please, no! I couldn’t stand that character the first time around. But knowing DS, it’s a possibility, even though he isn’t a doctor. I want Chase and Foreman to stay on the team, mainly because Foreman would be boring as DOM (and irritating.. he drove me nuts the time he was temporarily above House), and Dr. Chase would give in to House all the time. It might be Big Love.. I’m pretty neutral on that, I didn’t mind his character.
    And Taub.. I think as soon as House started “screwing with” him, he’d cave.
    I’m going for Wilson, but because he’s one of my favorite characters. Sam would be an interesting choice too, though. We’ll just have to see…

Comment by Paige – August 2, 2011 10:42 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Edward Vogler is the only logical choice. None of the other candidates are fully qualified. For the sake of good programming and the literate world, it better be Volger.

Comment by #25 – August 2, 2011 10:44 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • We have already seen a preview if you will of how things would be handled if Foreman were in charge. I think that they would be doing us some drama and comedy justice if they put Taub in this position. My vote is for Taub.

Comment by Ivy – August 2, 2011 10:45 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Was really hoping it would be Cameron, but looks like once again the suits don’t want to make House fans happy.

Comment by Eric – August 2, 2011 10:47 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I just hope it’s Wilson..since he’s the one who knows House well & who can handle any House’s tantrums;-)

Comment by jane18 – August 2, 2011 10:47 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Vogler would be the perfect person because the show won’t be good if foreman chase or taub were the boss cause that just gives house benefits for taking risks… wilson would just ruin the relationship and personally don’t like cole… sam would be great too but I’m going to vogler because the shows no good without his boss saying no and pushing him around, its a fight waiting to happen

Comment by Claudia – August 2, 2011 10:49 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • It will be Volger

Comment by Insider – August 2, 2011 10:49 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Chase worked under house for too long for them to let him take over the place.
    Voglar lets get real everyone and their mother hated his fat ass so he’s out.
    Foreman just isnt a good fit for the show they havent let his character break off from house enough.
    SAM CAR would only fit for a few episodes to creat a little tension then it would ruin the show so shes out.
    Big love has been gone too long while i think he has a better shot then chase voglar & foreman i doubt it will be him.
    Taub has the same problem chase and foreman have, they have not let any of their characters break off from house enough to step into this role.
    the only person that i can see fit is wilson he is the only other person that can get house to do stuff. While it wouldnt surprise me if fox in its infinite wisdome brings in big love or sam i think the only pick that will last more then 1 season is WILSON. Anyone agree with this?????

Comment by Jason bufalini – August 2, 2011 10:55 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • The show is somewhat realistic..it has to be someone who is assumed qualified. My best guess is Volger or Wilson. Def don’t want it to be Volger so I’m betting on Wilson.

Comment by Kelly – August 2, 2011 10:56 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • The replacement will be Foreman. He has stated time and again he doesnt want to end up like House…setting up the ongoing confrontations with all decisions and attitudes. He is black so that sets up the conflicts with Volger on many levels. He isnt really anyone elses friend, so much can be story written about things in that arena, plus he is arogant, leaving a “my way or the highway” subplot for several seasons.

Comment by Wyle E Kiyote – August 2, 2011 10:57 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Who is to say that you arent yanking our chain…could be throwing us off and it’s none of these listed. I have my own thoughts about who it is…but I’m sworn to secrecy……

Comment by Jene – August 2, 2011 10:58 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    Voglar lets get real everyone and their mother hated his fat ass so he’s out.

Comment by jason b – August 2, 2011 10:58 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I’d like to see Foreman get it

Comment by Martha – August 2, 2011 10:59 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I seriously LOVE House!This is my all time favorite show.I love Wilson too.Can you buy this show on DVD?I’LL put that on my Xmas list.

Comment by Donna – August 2, 2011 11:00 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • HI, Donna. You can get all the episodes at Amazon at a great price. I have all but #7. Was waiting for the price to drop. LOL

Comment by Donna – August 2, 2011 02:32 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Sure! Just check the bargain bin at any fine retail establishment whose name ends in “Mart.”

Comment by Snark – August 2, 2011 04:40 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • the only logical choise is Wilson. volgler is nott a doctor he’s more a Donald trump then a doc, Sam would be interesting as a Wilson arc but we are talking house arc here , chase would lay down to much when house comes up with something crazy, taub……..that’s funny, I loved Cole but how would be get place as dean he technically never even worked at PPTH, I would have loved to seen camron return as dean she’s done it before and she’s a fan favorite, but out of the seven Wilson makes the most since he would hire house back after prison he would challenge house on ideas and cuddys office would look great with movie posters lol

Comment by Matthew vanderslice – August 2, 2011 11:02 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • My vote is for Wilson. House has already had a romance with one boss. A bromance with his new boss would make for interesting story lines.

Comment by Jason – August 2, 2011 11:03 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Edward Vogler

Comment by Alice – August 2, 2011 11:04 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Not one of the people mentioned would be qualified to be the dean of medicine. Volger had the business aspect but not the medical know how. The others have the medical but not the business. They should bring in a new cast member. I think the show will “jump the shark” if they make any of that cast dean unless it was a temporary position till they find a new replacement. If that is the case then it should be Wilson.

Comment by Susan – August 2, 2011 11:05 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I am voting Cynthia Watros. I could see Foreman being put in for a while or even Wilson for a while….maybe even Taub for a brief while, but Sam Carr is a unique enough character change without upsetting the balance of the show. Just imagine the WIlson tension, makes for good acting for RSL.

I agree, Vogler would have to have been at medical school in the last seven years to get that position. Chase would be interesting, but is not likely. And Jeffrey Cole…..that is just weird and crazy thinking! The writers better be working hard on a great back story to explain this…unless Vogler buys the hospital again and inserts him….hmmmm, innnnteresting.

Comment by Raymond – August 2, 2011 11:05 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • You need to keep in mind, this is it. The final season. There will be no more. And though I may be wrong I *think* FOX has signed on for a full boat of episodes. So they can do literally anything they want. Bring in one, have it not work out, try someone else. They can stick House in jail for as many episodes as they want. It’s the end, so anything goes and in the end I expect this show to wrap up with House either dead or locked up in a padded cell forever.

As for his “crime” specifically, I wonder how many people going on about it have ever encountered real violence. He drove an old car through the window of an old house when nobody was in the room. Dumb. Almost certainly a guaranteed conviction for some form of impaired driving. And that’s pretty much it because there’s no way to prove any intent. The writers didn’t invent this little scenario, they just picked it up from a hundred news articles of similar events and the outcome is always the same.

The only thing they have to create a workaround for is Cuddy. They have to fit that unexpected absence in. Once that’s done and House gets slapped on the wrist it should be a free-for-all season because they answer to nobody this year.

Comment by ScottLC – August 2, 2011 11:06 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Wish they bring Cameron back… So she’s not an option,my vote is for Wilson

Comment by Goliath – August 2, 2011 11:06 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • May I insert someone who would be a divine addition? I have shared this person before, but let us try one of the following women from ER:

Alex Kingston
    Laura Innes
    Maura Tierney

ALl three of the above women have done multiple roles as intelligent and strong women. My dream choice is Maura Tierney. She could do a character that is a match for House, and yet maybe swing the other staff away from being pushed around by House….hence a great challenge for all in the show. Anyone else with me?

Comment by Raymond – August 2, 2011 11:10 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I always found Laura Innes annoying, but I guess I was supposed to, so great acting. I think Alex Kingston is a nice choice but almost too sexy for the role. Love Maura Tierney, very underated and multidimensional actress who could pull it off. But how’s her fight with cancer coming along? Is she cancer-free and able to work on a weekly program. Don’t want to sound insensitive, but must be considered. I thought Alison Janney would be perfect. I love her acting and she could manhandle house. Just my thoughts.

Comment by Mrfabulous46 – August 2, 2011 11:16 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I think Wilson would be a really interesting choice as their close friendship would create any number of storylines & as many have said, he’s a Department Head, and that’s how hospital’s promote from within.
    If you were going to bring a new actor in, someone said Alison Janney & that would completely rock. She’s an awesome actress, projects massive stregnth of character and can be quite intimidating. Easy on the eyes as well. Great call I think.
    Vogler – no way!! Hated the character & would ruin the show’s flow.
    Sam Carr – yes, because she takes no s*** from House & for my own personal enjoyment…Cynthia Watros is smoking hot, I’m a man & like watching her on screen. Sue me.

Comment by Mrfabulous46 – August 2, 2011 11:11 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Logically, it can’t be Volger or Wilson’s ex-wife bc neither one of them is a doctor and Volger has no medical degree that I can recall. The ex-wife is just a radiologist so that would make no sense as well. Might as well give it to 13 if the ex-wife is in the mix. Plus I hate Volger.

Wilson is already on the board and he’s the head of his department so technically he is qualified for the position. BUt if he’s brought on as the DOM, then they’ll have to elect another person to the board so that might be a little interesting.

Chase is in surgery. Makes no sense.

Foreman might make sense bc he was acting head of department for a little bit.

It would make no sense for Big Love to be in charge seeing as he seems to have the least amount of experience of all the doctors.

Something tells me they’re going to time jump bc I don’t see how they can have this season with House out of the country and on the run.

Comment by Britt – August 2, 2011 11:13 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I am hoping it will be Chase- he’s one of my favorite characters. Taub would be interesting, but I could see a lot of mayhem with him and House as the boss-guys.

Comment by House Fan 1 – August 2, 2011 11:15 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • really?? really?? i hate when people get changed around but i guess after what happened on the season finally they cant really keep cuddy… i say wilson, formann has to big of a head and he bugs me, volger his characters attitude is terrible, chase to immature the others na just dont work.. i hope its wilson…
    p.s. hugh laurie… so fine ha

Comment by trisha – August 2, 2011 11:19 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Watch out …

Get ready….

Its either brilliance or that “Jump the shark moment..”

Comment by Joegal – August 2, 2011 11:20 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Sunday, Monday, Happy Days!

Comment by Sing with me! – August 2, 2011 04:42 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Better not be Chi McBride because that would me my favorite show is being cancelled! Human Target! Fox won’t let him do both. NO!!!!!!!!

Comment by NO! – August 2, 2011 11:22 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I really hope it’s not Wilson’s ex. I couldn’t stand her, and she was one of the reasons I stopped watching for a while.

Frankly, after the season 7 finale, I’m not sure I’ll be continuing to watch the show anyway.

Comment by AC – August 2, 2011 11:29 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Wilson or.nobody
    seriously
    bring back cuddy althouh i apprecite that story line had run its course.
    Do not bring back vogler, big love or wilsons ex.
    For shame!!!!!!!

Comment by mathew brick'house' – August 2, 2011 11:32 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Cynthia Watros–watch and see.

Comment by Melissa – August 2, 2011 11:46 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I think Wilson would be a great choice!! House would be in his office causing trouble all the time:)… Chase would be my second but I don’t like the other options…

Comment by nancy – August 2, 2011 11:54 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • What ever happened to cuddy? Y isn’t she coming back???

Comment by Loly – August 2, 2011 11:55 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • You been hiding in a cave or something?

Comment by ? – August 2, 2011 11:59 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • What about Steve MacQueen the mouse? Is he still alive? It will be as ridiculous choice as all of the above. And they’ll get him cheap since they want to save money that much they’re ready to destroy everything they achieved for the past 7 years. Seriously!

Comment by Marina – August 2, 2011 11:55 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Nah, the best person to be his boss got killed off. I would have voted for “Cut-throat Bitch”, Anne Dudek. But alas, she is dead. Of the choices, I’d say Big Love or Wilson.

Comment by Tealio – August 2, 2011 12:01 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Vogler doesn’t have credentials but maybe he paid to get them while he was gone…Even though I hated Chi McBride’s character, I think the opposition is just what the show needs. The two of them butting heads and an on-going power struggle would bring interest to the show (in my opinion) House has tenure and even though he could do another comity meeting, I think another direction should be pursued. Yes, I despised the character and LOVE Laurie’s character, I think the on-going battle between House, the team and Vogler would be interesting. House coming up with new,sneaky ways to get away with things is just what the show needs. Wilson’s ex is annoying, Wilson would end-up being a push-over (if they did a 360 w/ Wilson it just wouldn’t fly, he never changes) Foreman does oppose House sometimes but in the end he can be just like him. Taub pretty much whatever House wants and Chase tends to do what House wants too. The show needs some drama and Chi McBride would add plenty to the story line. Just my opinion….

Comment by lukie – August 2, 2011 12:06 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • True,some the show needs some conflict to spice things up and with Vogler there shall be lots. All others would be dead boring.

Comment by karomana – August 2, 2011 01:04 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Cameron sould do it or maybe even Sam. If its Cameron, they could have her slowly become more aggressive and Cutty like. She is one of the originals and I would love to see her back on the show. Sam could have an interesting twist to it also. I prefer Cameron though.

As to the others:
    Vogler, is a definite NO. I’ll stop watching
    Foreman, might fill the spot temporarily but fail… Not a good choice, unless it is temporary
    Chase, his charactor does not fit this position well at all
    Taub, I could see him wanting the spot, but I’m not convinced he’s the best for it
    Wilson, He would be great at it, BUT he should remain Houses sidekick
    Big Love, not qualified
    13, not feeling it, but would like to see her back on the team

I have a feeling that Masters, girl genius could have a shot, but she does not have the experience, but hey this is TV. That would not surprise me at all if it were her.

Comment by Jason – August 2, 2011 12:14 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • What about Keiko Agena (Dr. Cheng). She could fill those shoes. Just a thought…

Comment by Jason – August 2, 2011 12:35 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Anyone but cameron please

Comment by Jell – August 2, 2011 04:07 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Vogler ……sorry the character was not good in this show. We will watch and wait ….we are faithful to house. But please no Vogler.

Comment by sara – August 2, 2011 12:15 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I think dead heat between Wilson and Foreman, but if I have to choose my vote goes to Wilson

Comment by Col – August 2, 2011 12:16 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • You know, If I were in David Shores place, I would be working harder on finding a way that House can even be out of prison AND BY SOME MIRACLE in possession of:

1) A medical license in New Jersey and

2) A position as department head at PPTH

Go ahead and make up something David, we’ll but anything you say!RIGHT!

Comment by J. Norman – August 2, 2011 12:20 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • LOOVE IT

TRUER WORDS WERE NEVER SPOKEN

Comment by EJB – August 2, 2011 04:17 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Lol, not a single vote for Vogler.

Comment by Secret Moniker – August 2, 2011 12:25 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • My vote is for Wilson. It would be pretty similar since he is so close to House.

Comment by Amanda – August 2, 2011 12:26 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Not to sound stupid, but wouldn’t the Dean of Medicine have to be a doctor? I thought Vogler was just a rich, business guy who donated to the hospital to spin the buck around. It’s been a while, but I could have sworn he wasn’t a doctor. I think having Cole come back would an interesting mix to the bunch. I personally feel that having Foreman be the Dean of medicine would be a bit repetitive for the show (considering he was temporarily in charge of House) and I just feel like Foreman’s becoming a stale character. Chase would be an interesting choice, mainly because his character is starting to develop more, and he would really, really have to earn respect from House.

Comment by Heather – August 2, 2011 12:28 PM PDT  Reply To This Post