Fall TV Preview

House Exclusive: Princeton-Plainsboro's New Dean of Medicine Will Be… [Major Spoiler Alert]!

It’ll be someone we’ve met before on the show!

Sources confirm to TVLine exclusively that producers are filling the Dean of Medicine post vacated by Lisa Edelstein’s Cuddy with a face familiar to fans of the Fox hit as opposed to bringing in a new cast member.

But who? I’ve been sworn to secrecy… except for the fact that I can reveal that Hugh Laurie’s new on-screen boss is one of the seven folks listed below. Peruse the options and then vote away in the comments!

Dr. Jeffrey Cole (Edi Gathegi): Though he was a real contender in House’s game of hospital Survivor, “Big Love” was eventually fired because he did the unthinkable: compromised with Cuddy. Perhaps there’s some unfinished business between him and his old boss…

House Shocker: The New Season Will Take Place in [Spoiler]!

Dr. James Wilson (Robert Sean Leonard): If House’s BFF were to ascend to Cuddy’s seat of power, it would inject some tension into one of TV’s most popular bromances. How far would our title doc push his pal? And how far would said pal let himself be pushed? Food for thought.

Dr. Eric Foreman (Omar Epps): He replaced House himself back in season 6 (after Mr. Testy quit), so he probably has a leg up on the competition. Or does he? Since we’ve also seen that he’s willing to rebel when he’s got cause, Princeton Plainsboro might be reluctant to put him in charge of House.

Dr. Robert Chase (Jesse Spencer): He’s another one that doesn’t shy away from controversial decisions. He deliberately killed a patient, you’ll recall. With good reason, but still. Such a wild card might be an insurance nightmare for PPTH, but a thrill ride for viewers.

Follow @MichaelAusiello on Twitter For House Scoop and Spoilers 24/7

Dr. Chris Taub (Peter Jacobson): Possibly the only candidate who is as willing to break the rules as he is good at getting away with doing so, this plastic surgeon is almost House’s obnoxious equal. Which is saying something. Not necessarily something nice, but you get the idea.

Dr. Sam Carr (Cynthia Watros): If Wilson’s radiologist first wife/ex-girlfriend were to make a comeback — and, in effect, as his boss, no less! — well, the fireworks all but set themselves off in this scenario! Beyond that potential rematch, even if she can handle her former spouse, could she handle House? Better bring the stun gun…

Edward Vogler (Chi McBride): When Cuddy talked the board of PPTH into keeping her then-future boyfriend and dumping its bucks-up new chairman — and his $100 million donation — House earned himself an enemy for life. If payback time is at hand, how steep would Vogler make the price?

Comments (508)

• The DoM will have to be a doctor not a businessman so that leaves Vogler out.
    ——
    Sam Carr will not be DoM, remember the problems she had with her evaluations in Season 7? Besides, Sam won’t return to the hospital where her ex is. She was determined to get away from him TWICE.
    ——
    Foreman won’t be it either, he’s had too many problems in the past.
    ——
    Cole is too young.
    ——
    Taub? I don’t see it. He’s going to have his hands full with two pregnant women. I’m sure though he’ll need a pay raise. He just doesn’t have what it takes to be Dean.
    ——
    Chase is too young.
    ——
    Wilson is the only logical choice. Of course this IS David Shore and who the heck knows what he will do, just look at the disaster of Seasons 6 and 7. HOWEVER, that said, Wilson is the ONLY logical choice of all of them. He’s got tenure, loads of experience, he’s good at delegating and administration, gets along with everyone, he’s diplomatic as well. And…he’s the only one of that group likely to support hiring House back at the hospital. So my money is on Wilson. Also, having Wilson as DoM leaves the door open for Lisa Edelstein to eventually return IF she decides to and if Fox wants her back. Not saying she will but it does make it easier.
    ——
    Wasn’t Fox trying to cut costs in S8? Bringing Vogler, Sam or Cole back would require a contract for the actor portraying the new DoM and probably some pretty good pay for one season. It would make NO sense to hire one of those three back and pay someone on the outside when you can hire someone already on payroll.

Comment by Jessica – August 1, 2011 04:16 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • That would so mess up the bromance and it would kill the Hilson ship. Of course, DS wants all ships dead so this may be the way.

Sometimes it seems the networks are aving money only to lose more money. They don’t think of the negative impact on the story, which affects viewers, which affects sponsorship. Too funny.

Comment by Luc – August 1, 2011 04:42 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • @ Jessica

Excellent post. Agree with and have been saying generally the same in my own posts.

The biggest truism is “Of course this IS David Shore and who the heck knows what he will do!!”

Not sure myself if the reason that LE left was salary related alone.

It was, I’m sure, a factor but was it the real catalyst? Perhaps we’ll find out sometime.

Wilson is the only one that truly makes sense. Can you imagine the real life mutinies at PPTH if Foreman, Taub, or Chase are promoted AT LEAST 2 levels above all in house and external candidates for the prestious DOM job. Plus the fact that their claim to the job has been working for House!!! Big Love would be so comical a choice that I don’t even believe that Shore would even float it out in a brainstorming session.

But Shore may be convinced that we (his audience) will swallow anything.

Comment by J. Norman – August 2, 2011 12:10 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Michael, I’m pretty sure Yaitanes & Shore wanted you to put this ‘spoiler’ into poll format. TPTB really do think we are dumb!

Comment by BabyGoz – August 1, 2011 04:16 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • LOL! If we’re going there why not have Celebrity Death DoM and make them fight it out for the role? *shrugs*

Comment by Dani – August 1, 2011 04:33 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • Awesome idea, Dani! Colostomy bags at 20 paces! Puts a whole new spin on “choose your second.” Okay, sh*tty pun, but I have a full tummy and I’m tired.

Comment by Dueling Deans – August 1, 2011 08:38 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • NO VOGLER, PLEASE!!!!

Comment by Caio – August 1, 2011 04:22 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • A new face would be far more interesting. House and Wilson’s friendship does not need this kind of stress. I can’t imagine Wilson wanting the job. And Sam? Yeah right.

Comment by mooseonajew – August 1, 2011 04:24 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Look at the hint: This article said a FAMILIAR face, as in someone we’ve seen before not a regular. I still think they want to bring in someone “new”. Therefore, it cant be Taub, Foreman, or Chase. So, that narrows it down. I liked a woman in charge, thats always a different dynamic on a television show. Hope its McBride.

Comment by Wham – August 1, 2011 04:24 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Sam, please, Woman, sexy, inteligent, no very young….

Comment by Aizeak – August 1, 2011 04:30 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Sam is the only logical choice in this list. She has a messed up history with both House and Wilson, she’s bent the rules for the sake of her patients, but hides behind a superiority facade, she’ll make the female quota, she’s qualified, and she’s the lesser of the evils.

Comment by Crickett – August 1, 2011 04:34 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Am I the only one hoping it’ll be Cynthia Watros?

Comment by Spud – August 1, 2011 04:39 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I’m gonna say Wilson. To let House think he’s still in control, but actually being kept in check. :)

Comment by Sian – August 1, 2011 04:44 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Wilson!!!!!!!!!!!!

Comment by kEVIN – August 1, 2011 04:44 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I vote “other.”

Comment by Voter – August 1, 2011 04:45 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I would say… Sam!!!!!!

Comment by Alice – August 1, 2011 04:46 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • None of the above!!!

Comment by nitemar – August 1, 2011 04:54 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Bring Lisa back!!

Comment by raveng – August 1, 2011 04:55 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • Leave her be! She’s got a good show to work on.

But yeah, “none of the above”.

Comment by Derdriui – August 1, 2011 08:32 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • Are you kidding? We just got rid of her!

Comment by Kim – August 2, 2011 12:07 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • @raveng Lisa choice to leave, sorry

Comment by TT – August 2, 2011 04:34 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
        • Yeah, she chose not to take their lowball offer. Good for her.

Comment by Notalwayscrystal – August 3, 2011 03:41 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Vogler? You’re kidding, right? That’s a stretch by anyone’s imagination and an insult to every House fan in existence. Dean of Medicine. The position is usually given to someone with a MEDICAL DEGREE, but this is DS’s world, so I guess it’s all right to overlook those “minor” details. Vogler owns a drug company but it was never said that he had a degree in medicine. As a matter of fact, he tried to run PPTH like his company. But if this is really the case, it’s just another page in the lunacy that is now unfondly known as TPTB. They brag about the fact that they don’t keep a show bible, so that explains the lack of continuity and lousy writing since season 4. As for the rest, except for Wilson, the candidates listed are laughable. None of them have the chops for that position, whether House is still employed by PPTH or not.

Comment by housefan – August 1, 2011 05:06 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • That’s a stretch by anyone’s imagination and an insult to every House fan in existence.

No worries. We are pretty much pass this point by now.

Comment by ohwell – August 1, 2011 05:23 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • LYDIA!!!! hahahaha

Comment by AlAn – August 1, 2011 05:09 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • All are very disappointing choices. Makes me sad.

Comment by Kay – August 1, 2011 05:15 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I prefer only House and Wilson (the ball) in an island next season!

Comment by Brendo – August 1, 2011 05:22 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Good choice, even better if House be naked all the time!

Comment by Alice – August 1, 2011 05:24 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • They’d only find a way to screw it up by having House drive a coconut truck up Wilson’s rear. Then say it wasn’t violent or sexual.

At least it wouldn’t be predictable.

Comment by Islands in the Stream – August 1, 2011 05:39 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
        • Leave Wilson’s rear out of this! It’s sacred.

Comment by blasphemy – August 1, 2011 07:18 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • These choices leave me bored..blah!

Comment by jaded – August 1, 2011 05:23 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • People: They don’t have money to bring a new great actor/actress. Remember!

Comment by kEVIN – August 1, 2011 05:26 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Sorry for this post, just want to test the allowed tags.

Test

Test
    Test

Test
    Test

Test
    Test

Comment by sorry – August 1, 2011 05:27 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Some of us feel the same way when we think of this writing team lately……Test….. Test…..Is anyone in there????

Comment by Wow – August 1, 2011 05:36 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I hated that bastard Vogler! WTH would they promote him to dean??! And Foreman is boring as hell already.. Taub is way to overexposed as is and Chase is not strong enough of a character to be the dean. Big love is a total joke! Sam is not interesting in the least! The only one that would be ok is Wilson but even that wouldn’t work! They really f*cked up by not paying Lisa what she wanted!

Comment by Luna – August 1, 2011 05:32 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I would HATE IT if the new dean of medicine is Vogler! My money is on foreman or Chase (this would be particulary funny, House doesnt have ANY respect for Chase, so It would be a huge opportunity for Chase to screw with House)

Comment by Maria Alejandra – August 1, 2011 05:44 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • <>
      I agree .Finally some one else sees the opportunity .But on second thought I prefer him do that while he’s still a team member.Being a DoM might lead to reducing Chase’s screen time which is the last thing I want in S8.

Comment by Dan – August 1, 2011 07:15 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • The DEAN of MEDICINE has to be an experienced physician, preferably one with some years of experience as a Dept. head. Volger was just a wealthy business man and was Chairman of the Hospital Board; a civilian position.
      Foreman is blocked from doing any clinical research ( unless the writers forgot about that); Sam is up on investigations for her radiation doses to terminal patients; Chase has never been a Dept. head.
      It’s Wilson.

Comment by Sila – August 1, 2011 09:59 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • House doesn’t have ANY respect for anyone. He might make fun of Chase every now and then, but I don’t see how he has any more respect for Foreman, Taub, Cuddy or even Wilson. In fact, I believe Chase does have his respect in a more subtle, twisted way.

I don’t think Chase would ever screw with House. That would be completely out of character, unless the writers want us to believe that Chase was secretly hating his boss through all those years. Since the writing of the show has gone stupid by S7, I wouldn’t even be surprised. It’s sad how inconsistent the characters have become.

Comment by Sasha – August 2, 2011 02:13 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • LISA E.

Comment by LOLA – August 1, 2011 05:54 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Go and terrorize the Good Wife fandom and leave us alone, please.

Comment by MiMi – August 1, 2011 06:15 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • Please don’t start. Let’s try to keep this comment line civil for once.

Thank you.

Comment by Luc – August 1, 2011 06:33 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Cole should not be the new Dean, I dont think that would be a good fit. As much as I would love it if it was someone who is on the show now, I would love to see a new/returning face. Out of all the current cast members I think Foreman would be the best fit. As for returning faces I would love to see Vogler come back! I love the actor, iffy on the character but I think it would be interesting to see how PPTH changes with Vogler.

Comment by Brittany – August 1, 2011 06:20 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Foreman would be so boring. I don’t like the idea of Chase either, it would be too random for him to suddenly clean up his depressed and scuzzy self.

I love the idea of Sam though – Cynthia Watros is awesome!

Comment by Quincy – August 1, 2011 06:44 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Poor Cynthia Watros! She seems to a favorite for replacing female leads on aging shows.

Comment by Kemp – August 1, 2011 06:48 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • If Vogler comes back I’n not watching, I didn’t like him before and I wouldn’t like him now. Cynthia Waltros however might be interesting to see.

Comment by Don – August 1, 2011 06:50 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I suspect it will be Cynthia Watros. I’m assuming it will be a woman, and she’s not likely to ever be a love interest for House, which is good. Not sure if it was the writing, acting or both, but I found her character really disappointingly boring, however. Cole seems like such a weird, random choice, though I liked him during survivor games.

Comment by Kabby – August 1, 2011 07:15 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I agree! I think will be Cynthia Watros but I think her character boring… Really boring!!!
      Cole will be to weird.
      Taub, Foreman, Chase… NO THANKS!
      Vogler is not a doctor.
      Wilson… It’s too obvious, I don’t know…

I don’t like any option! :-(

Comment by Kevin – August 2, 2011 03:58 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • it’s totally going to be wilson!

Comment by katie – August 1, 2011 07:15 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • What a sad state of affairs. Predominantly we are not expecting anything good, just hoping they will suck less.

Comment by ohwell – August 1, 2011 07:28 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I’m going to say Vogler > He had it in for the team and House. Ruffled alot of feathers in the team House at PPTH. Its due for paybacks Vogler vs. House and the team. House will have some tricks up his sleeve or should I say his mind to get back at his boss.
    Though Foreman would be good too.
    What about Cameron, She did sub for Cuddy at one time. She could stand up against House.
    Let me on to play a nasty patient against House. Give him the run around, He wouldn’t be in pain only LOVE pains.

Comment by Linda K (HAPPY) – August 1, 2011 07:43 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Human Target was canceled, so Chi McBride will be free.

Comment by Sourabh – August 1, 2011 07:47 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Yay for Vogler! Can we have a laugh track too? Would be totally awesome!

Comment by thisisgettingbetter – August 1, 2011 08:49 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • If its Taub then that is one boring boss. Maybe its Vogler. I kinda want it to be Wilson though, or Chase lol

Comment by Jer – August 1, 2011 08:44 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Did anyone consider Mike’s “source?” Taking into consideration Shore and Yataines’ penchant for misdirection in the past, the “familiar face” could turn out to be the annoying guy who does those “Extenz” commercials. Obviously nothing is set in stone as of yet, so I’m not going to get too worked up about any of the above choices, none of which particularly turn my crank.

Comment by What about... – August 1, 2011 08:46 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Please, please, no Foreman, Chase or Taub. I would hope it is either Sam Carr or Wilson, although I would prefer Sam Carr because I loved the interaction between House, Wilson and Carr.

Comment by HopefulButNotOptimistic – August 1, 2011 09:28 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Coleman : too inexperienced; never been a Dept Head.
    Wilson: very good possibility
    Foreman: banned from involvement any Clinical trials & was fired from another hospital for breaking protocol
    Chase: has never been a Dept. Head
    ; but the Hopital Board doesn’t know her murdered a patient
    Taub: bad reputation for skirt chasing but otherwise has the credentials…don’t think he was ever a Dept Head.
    Carr: under investigation for radiation doses to terminal patients
    Volger: was not a physician

So: my gues for Dean of Medicine : Wilson or Taub, but my money is on Wilson.

Comment by Sila – August 1, 2011 09:54 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Lol some of you people take this too serious. I wouldn’t enjoy any of the main characters being the new dean of medicine. Vogler, although not a doctor(that we know of, we don’t know if show is going to take a time leap)has a better sense of how to handle the business side of things. The Mormon doctor would be interesting from a revenge perspective(picked on by house a lot) it would also be funny having a religious man in charge of house. Sam would be my least favorite out of them. It would make the season less about house and more about Wilson. Which wouldn’t be a bad thing, but if this is the last season of house it should probably be focused on house himself. Wilson would be the choice that would make sense in real life, since he has his own department and has been there a while, but can’t handle house too well. Foremen doesn’t seem to do well under stress. Taub just doesn’t make sense. My two sense. No matter who is picked, I will still watch.

Comment by james – August 1, 2011 10:06 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • If it’s Vogler, I’ll stop watching and I totally love House. I absolutely HATED that character. I haven’t rewatched that whole arch. It was hard enough the first time.

A Dean of Medicine has to be a doctor. Now, if they wanted to make him a CEO or head of the board, that’s one thing, but not Dean of Medicine.

I love Wilson, but he doesn’t have what it takes to be the Dean. Chase is too young. Foreman is too angry. Taub is too much of a yes man.

Of the group, Sam would probably be the best of the lot…and it gives them another woman regular for the cast.

Comment by Sandy – August 1, 2011 10:26 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • i’m seriously gonna cry if vogler becomes house’s boss.

I actually think Cameron is right for this job. Or foreman.
    But this is the show House, so anything could happen…

Comment by Suus – August 1, 2011 11:56 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Cameron suits the job.
      Bringing Cameron back could add in more storylines, such as her relationship with Chase, and other stuff. Ratings dropped since she left House.

Comment by Kate – August 2, 2011 09:47 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I hope it’s not Sam Carr, because I didn’t like her. She came over very unsympathically to me.

But Vogler would be great! He’s even taller than Hugh and still has some unresolved issues with him. Lot of explosive, funny stuff to expect there.

But, as the show has to save money, I think they’ll give it to Foreman (yawn…)

BTW: I was so hoping that the new DOM would be the great Allison Janney, but that’s not gonna happen, I guess…

Comment by DanieGermany – August 2, 2011 12:40 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I really wish it was Cameron, but since Jennifer is not available (YAY for Once Upon A Time, so excited for that!) I hope it’s going to be Wilson. He’d be a great Dean of Medicine.

Comment by Sally – August 2, 2011 12:45 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Me too. I wish that she’ll come back to House. Chameron rocks.
      She can always work on 2 shows at once or join mid-season.

Comment by Kate – August 2, 2011 09:45 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • It’ll be Carr. The storyline when they brought her back in last season was very weak. Now I see it was just an excuse to introduce the character.

Comment by Fudgefase – August 2, 2011 01:03 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • No one will replace Cuddy in my heart.

Comment by Kelly – August 2, 2011 02:27 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Meh, all boring unimaginative options. So not surprised, the “creative” forces at house are running on empty.

Comment by Wakemewhenitsover – August 2, 2011 02:32 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Dr. Sam Carr ,Right choice for a good 8 season

Comment by Isa – August 2, 2011 03:49 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Jennifer Morrison

Comment by juan – August 2, 2011 03:58 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I would prefer!! I miss the old team, the old dinamic… :-(

Comment by Hadra – August 2, 2011 04:00 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • Uh-huh. Jennifer Morrison all the way.
        Though she’s on Once Upon A Time, but no one says it’s illegal on working on 2 shows at once. Or she can join mid-season?

Comment by Christine – August 2, 2011 09:43 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I think Wilson would make the most sense. He is Head of Oncology and member of the board, he has leadership skills and understands hospital politics. He is reliable, responsible, charming (good for donors), etc.
    But I really don’t want him to be dean. The relationship with House would be a completely different one – well, to be fair, it might already have changed drastically after the finale – but if Wilson is House’s boss there wouldn’t be the aspect that they choose to be friends. I think I don’t want that to change…

Comment by EMT – August 2, 2011 04:02 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I would prefer House working in another hospital, with new people. They have really screwed things up so much that is hard to expect something good now.

Comment by Guto – August 2, 2011 04:25 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Ausiello, is this REALLY the last season of House md?
    They should be better than this in the end of the show.

Comment by Hidra – August 2, 2011 05:10 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Why only these choices? Have TPTB gone so cheap they can afford to bring only one new character? OW will be leaving soon as we know, and the only female would be the prison doctor House hires,(Odette Anabel). Male testerones will have a feast. C’mon guys break your piggy banks and bring another female character!!

Comment by raveng – August 2, 2011 05:11 AM PDT  Reply To This Post