Friday Night Lights Boss Confirms Feature Film Buzz: 'We're Writing the Script Now'

Friday Night Lights exec producer Peter Berg is confirming what TVLine told you last month: He wants to bring the franchise back to the big screen, with Emmy nominees Kyle Chandler and Connie Britton reprising their roles as Coach and Tami Taylor.

“We’re writing a script,” he told reporters at the Television Critics Association’s summer press tour following a panel for his NBC reboot of Prime Suspect. “We’ve been meeting with [fellow FNL EP] Jason Katims for the last couple of weeks. We have a real good script idea. We want to do it. We’re very serious about doing it. We intend to do it.”

Berg added that the “goal would be to focus the film around Kyle and Connie and bring [in] some new characters and then bring in some of our familiar faces. We have, I think, a really fresh, very original take on it. We’re very serious about wanting to do it… If all goes well, we would shoot it next year at some point.”

Fingers crossed that all goes well! Who’s with me?!

1. Mohammad says:

NOOOO!

I loved the show so so so so much, but i’m glad it ended at the right time, and didn’t stretch out like other shows, every episode including the finale was perfect. Why can’t they leave it alone?

• Dick Whitman says:

If the show was THAT good (which it was), I’m sure the movie will live up to the standard they set, which was pretty high, so I’m all for it (and you should too).

• Don Draper says:

I do hear what Mohammad is saying though. The series was near-perfect. Why mess with a great thing by continuing the story when it doesn’t need to be? That all being said, I’ll be first in line to watch! I’d never pass up more of Coach and Mrs. T!

2. YES!! I’m so on board with this.

BRING BACK LANDRY!

3. Bee says:

normally i’d be nervous about this, but they seem confident with their idea and either way, i trust this crew will make it really awesome. plus, hello? an FNL movie? YES PLEASE.

4. Saulo says:

Great idea! Loved the original movie, the series is incredible. Can’t wait to see Mr. and Mrs. Coach on the big screen!!!

5. Nate Warren says:

I hope they incorporate Tyra! Loved her! Didnt Coach Taylor move to some other state though, how would they make him cross paths with other cast members?

• Jesse says:

Agreed! I *love* Adrianne Palicki in this role, and I would love to see her get a project that is worthy of her. And to get what we didn’t get from the finale: some sort of closure between Tyra and Landry! (Jason Katims, please give us more Tyra and Landry!)

• JC says:

No, please don’t revisit Tyra & Landry, please! She needed him as a positive influence/someone who believed in her, but she never really wanted him in particular… I’m glad they left that coupling in the past!

However, I’d love to have them incorporate Tyra into the movie… she can always get an internship with Mrs. T – or some kind of career advice! Or have Tim find his way back into her life/dreams… more Tim Riggins, please!!

• Sonia says:

Yes! More Tim Riggins please!!! lol Tim having his life back in order and Tyra being his wife would be awesome :D

• Tyler says:

Yes!! Bring back Tyra…Love her character.

6. flutiefan says:

although i thought the series ended perfectly, i would totally go see this just to get one more glimpse of Coach and Mrs Coach.

7. Sam says:

Coach and Tami may be the main characters, but Landry, Matt, Tyra, Lyla, and especially Julie and Tim were a huge part of the series also. If they do a movie, I hope they incorporate at least most of the former regulars.
    That being said, I don’t really see this getting funded. You know at the end of Chuck this season there’ll be talk of a movie. And Entourage is hoping for a film sequel. And the Arrested Development movie is still in the writing stages. This is something that’s always talked about but rarely done. But, if any show deserves to be the exception, FNL does.

• mookie says:

i can’t imagine it would be an overly expensive movie to produce. it was one of the most economical shows in modern TV history, because they shot episodes significantly quicker than other shows do. and given the fact that i’ve never heard any of the actors have anything but good things to say about their FNL experience (except minka kelly, who i’ve never really heard say much of anything), i would be shocked if most–if not all–made themselves available.

8. Jake L says:

While the series finale was very satisfying, I think this is a great idea because I would love to spend more time with these characters, and I’m sure Berg/Katims wouldn’t do it unless it was a terrific continuation. Except for the murder plotline, which was quickly rectified, they never dropped the ball once in the series.

9. Jules says:

I LOVE IT. It needs to happen! :)

10. Taylor says:

LOVE this! I really hope they bring back the characters including Smash

11. Catherine says:

Will it take place in Philly or Dylan?!

12. Carrie says:

My fingers are definitely crossed. I love me some FNL!

13. why? says:

Waste of time and money.

14. lola says:

I really want to see Smash and Lyla again. Since they weren’t in the finale. I’m sure the movie will be just as amazing as the series. I have no doubt Tim Riggins will make an appearance. Plus Matt and Julie.

15. AJ says:

I hope if this does happen that i’ll get to see Jason, Smash and Tim on the big screen.

16. Amber says:

Mixed emotions here. It was very hard to say goodbye to the characters, but I did it, and I’m not sure I could do it again. This was one of my favorite TV shows ever, and I really liked how they ended the series with Coach stepping aside so Tammi could have her chance to shine in her new job in another town. For them to bring back old characters, I think this would require them moving back to Texas, and because I liked how the show ended, the Taylors moving back to Dillon is not my favorite idea ever. It would kind of kill Tammi’s dream job. But I love Peter Berg, I love the show, I love the characters, I love the stories and I would see the movie of course, how could I not? I guess we’ll have to see how it goes.

17. GDS says:

‘scuse me while I squeal like a 12 year old:

DJAKLSJFKAJSFLAJSFKLASJLKJSLAKFNASKFJL!!!!!!!!!!!

In all sincerity, best of luck to all involved and, if we’re lucky enough for it to be made, I have nothing but high hopes for this film. Clear eyes, full hearts!

18. ThereasonsY says:

I love me some FNL, but man I wish this was Veronica Mars instead.

19. steve says:

A MASSIVE CRH OF Nooooooooooooooooo it was a great tv show with a perfect ending a movie will just mess that up. Why when a tv series ends does there have to be talk of a movie.

20. Joseph says:

It’s not going to happen. Kyle Chandler and Connie Briton were elated with the way the series ended. There’s no way either of them, or Tayor Kitsch, would be back. they’ve all already moved on and they’re not even under contract anymore. Nice BS.

21. Till says:

I’d like to see that happened but am not sure it will because as previously said, it’s very rare it occurs with shows struggling with ratings. Movies studios want to make money and it’s gonna be hard for Berg to find producers who are ready to capitalize on FNL. How do you bring people in theatres when they don’t watch you on TV?

22. Maruuk says:

Well think about it, the audience grew during Directv’s early airing, and continued to grow during S5 on NBC. Now you’ve got a whole new crowd signing on with the ESPN showings of all 5 seasons. It’s going to become this underground phenom like the Rockey Horror Show with this suprisingly wide demo.

That’s an awfully fertile ground to bring the FNL2 flick into.

No, they wouldn’t go back to Texas. It’s the new challenges in Philly that make the plot fresh. But they have to keep it as sexy as the TV show. And from the look of that Philly team, no sexy there. So they’ll focus more on Tammi’s college age crowd for the sex and drama. Which makes sense because FNL was never about football. Football was just this disposable backdrop that bored the female audience to tears and was laughable to the male audience since they won every game on the last silly play with 3 seconds to go. Imagine if they handled their relationships like that.

I’m all over it. And tomorrow I finally get to see the FNL movie. I hear it’s pretty good.

23. cmzhang42 says:

The three words that could make this project even more intriguing?

Billy. Bob. Thornton.

24. KBC says:

Well, perhaps they return to Dillon for Matt and Julie’s wedding?

• susela says:

Hmmm, but why would they go back to Dillon to get married? All their friends would have grown up and moved on anyway, so it would make sense to just get married out of the bride’s parents home in Philly.

25. Susannah says:

I don’t know… I’m torn. The ending was so perfect but that’s not really even my cause for hesitation. The Taylors moved to Pittsburgh (or was it Philly?) Regardless… it was away from Dillon, far, far away. And Texas was a huge character in FNL. High school football is king in the south and especially in Texas. No, football wasn’t actually the focus of the show, it was about the relationships, but football was woven into every single one of those relationships in some way. Texas high school football was always there. Look at what happened when they took a little bit of Texas high school football out of the beginning of the second season? Even just a little bit. It wasn’t the same and we all knew it.

While I have full confidence in Katims and Berg and the entire cast that they could work wonderfully with whatever the writers were to come up with, without Dillon as a backdrop, I think things would fall flat.

But all that said, if it were made, I would absolutely go see it.

26. mike says:

Taylor Kitsch cut all his hair off for the movie Battleship. that would have to play into the storyline.

27. MAS says:

I would watch. I certainly would hope they don’t make the mistake that I think Sex in the City made with their first movie coming up with contrived issues to figure a way out of how the TV series ended. They move to Philly; let’s have it set there. (And heck ya – Veronia Mars – definitely would be a great movie!)

28. Kim says:

No need to wait, kids. There’s already a movie! And the movie was so good that they created a show…..

29. Sarah says:

And as much as I don’t want it to happen because the series ended absolutely perfectly, and as much as I’m not sure if my heart could take saying goodbye to those characters again, there’s no way I could stay away. However, I’d be shocked if Kyle Chandler and Connie Britton agreed to this.

30. Sarah says:

Bring back Adrianne and Taylor. And let Tim/Tyra’s dream merge. Please <3333

31. Abe Froman says:

So this will be a movie, based on a TV shows, that was based on a movie? Won’t that rip a hole in the space-time continuum or something?

32. Doug-H says:

Maybe they’ll have a movie about the Taylors bringing the whole gang in together and they make a trip down to South St. for some real authentic Philly Cheese Steaks at Jim’s…. that’s a movie!!!!

33. jay says:

So a movie being made based on the TV show that was based on a movie. Boy talk about coming full circle.

34. Charlotte says:

Dunno how they’ll do it. Texas or Philly. But, one thing fer sure I’m gonna see it. I know it’s gonna be Brilliant, Heartbreaking and Beautiful. Plus, you throw in some of those Texas Forever Boys, who can melt your heart with just a Look. Man. . I can’t miss that.

35. Mayra says:

Yeeeeeeeeeeees! Please, God, make it happen, haha
    Clear eyes, full hearts, can’t lose! It’s that simple :)

36. ChristineOH says:

I loved these characters and would be beyond excited to see another FNL movie. I miss this show.

37. stingr22 says:

The show ended perfectly – the most satisfying series finale ever! That being said, I would love to see it on the big screen and revisit these characters that I have spent the last five years with. Clear eyes, full hearts, can’t lose!

38. charyl says:

Yes do the movie, I am lost without this show!!!! clear eyes full hearts can’t loose!

39. Samantha says:

FNL was the best show I have ever seen in my life. I am a middle school teacher and the real life lessons and situations dealt with in the show was true reality! I know the movie would be a true success! Fingers are crossed! Please do it;)

40. Linda says:

I really hope this comes to be. FNL was a favorite for our whole family. I loved the entire cast and story lines. We’ll be watching for it.

41. Sarah says:

Bring back Taylor and Adrianne and let Tim/Tyra merge their dreams and get married and have many cute babies. I wanted to see them ending up together. So make it happen, Peter & Jason.

42. obessedwithvm says:

As much as i cant wait to watch this i’m scared it might kill the show for me. Although i really hope all of the old familiar faces return!

43. CFC says:

Peter, I’ve always enjoyed working with you. Let’s do it all over again

44. kevin says:

Truly fell in love from the film version in 2004 as well as the series and I’m hoping for another FNL movie that also compare to the TV show. I really want to see Minka Kelly back as Lyla ’cause I’m been a huge fan of hers ever since her huge breakout on that show and she ready for her new gig on Charlie’s Angels. FNL will always be one of my favorite TV dramas of all time. :)

45. These articles written too great,they rich contents ma le scarpe non ti donano. meglio dei sandali con stringe più sottili e caviglia libera Perfect! and data accurately.they are help to me.I expect to see your new share.

46. FNLfan says:

I am so excited about the new movie! But the movie would just not be the same if Riggins wasn’t in it (which I’m sure he will be). But PLEASE bring back Lyla, so that her and Tim can be together! Tim has not loved anyone on the show but Lyla. Their chemistry is amazing. They were one of my favorite couples on television! PLEASE PLEASE do NOT stick Tim with Tyra…save her for Landry!

• FNL fo life says:

Totally agree. I feel like that last season, they sacrificed much of the deep-wover plot lines people loved, because of who they had under contract. Minka Kelly was off the show so they had to settle for him getting back with Tyra. He loved Lyla, and only her.

47. FNL lover says:

we need Tim Riggins and matt saracen

48. JP says:

Yes!!!! I will be in line at the box office!!!!