All My Children Shocker: Gillian Lavery Returns!

Thank heavens! The ill-fated Princess Gillian Maria Eugenia Andrassy Martin Lavery is returning to Pine Valley.

Not unlike a vast majority of All My Children‘s deceased denizens, Esta TerBlanche will reprise her royal role before the iconic sudser’s broadcast finale on Friday, Sept. 23. There is no word yet on the manner in which the actress will reappear (Angel? Hallucination? Living and breathing?), but ABC Soaps in Depth which broke the news, reports she’ll show up in a handful episodes this summer.

Days of Our Lives Exclusive: Sarah Brown Previews Her Powerful Arrival in Salem

The very dearly departed Gillian was last seen some 10 years ago — though in Pine Valley’s version of Heaven — after suffering a near-fatal gunshot wound. The Hungarian hottie was ultimately taken off life support by then-husband Ryan Lavery (played by Cameron Mathison), then made her way through a cameo-filled afterlife. (Jesse Hubbard, who’s now alive and kicking, was even there!)

Cliffhanger! ABC Soaps Salvation Hits a Snag

Of course, this casting shocker invites the question: What does Gillian’s return mean for Ryan’s current better half, Greenlee (Rebecca Budig)? Better yet, what does it mean for Greenlee and her former hubby Leo (Josh Duhamel), who makes his own triumphant return from the dead beginning this Thursday? Will Pine Valley’s couple du jour reunite with their respective presumed long-gone soulmates? Or are these just necessary emotional stepping stones for Ry and Greens before they ride off into the online ever after together?

Comments (37)

• I LOVE THIS!!! I hate that the show is ending, but it’s interesting the joy it’s bringing to many fans by having our favorites show up.

Comment by Stlsweetie – August 1, 2011 03:27 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I agree. I hate, hate, hate that AMC is ending, but I am so happy all the former actors and actresses are returning. I will definately watch AMC online but I do hope a cable network will pick it up. All My Children viewer/fan forever!

Comment by Joann Walsh – August 17, 2011 09:31 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • This really brings out the old soap-addict in me. I’m going to need dates. Anyone?

Comment by MW – August 1, 2011 03:39 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Yay! I loved Gillian, so happy she’s coming back!!

Comment by Nicki – August 1, 2011 03:44 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • The bigger shocker here is that Ryan took Jillian off life support so she could donate her heart to Laura English and yet she is still alive. David is truly a miracle worker!

Comment by Carol – August 1, 2011 03:48 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • That is the exact same thing I was wondering. I get if we don’t find a body but they gave her heart away. Ooops maybe not. I don’t think David was on there when she was alive though.

Comment by denial1 – August 1, 2011 04:08 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • David was definitely there when she was alive. I don’t remember any interactions with her, but I remember storylines involving him that occured before her death. The whole organ thing definitely came to mind too, but hey – Jesse Hubbard had all of his donated AND was an angel and he still came back. Anything’s possible on daytime TV. haha ;-)

Comment by Whitney – August 1, 2011 04:52 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
        • If I remember right David once blackmailed Gillian into sleeping with him. Ryan’s hate for David is long.

Comment by raelee514 – August 1, 2011 08:32 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • David was there. He was on top of Laura’s gurney trying to keep her heart going when she flatlined and eventually got Gillian’s heart. I’m sure he got another heart from another embalmed corpse, juiced it up with orpheus, and put it in Gillian. Makes much more sense than just giving the orpheus to annoying Laura to begin with.

Comment by Nichole – August 2, 2011 07:20 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Oh honey, don’t you know soap writers don’t think the viewers remember anything? They love to rewrite well known history and make it suit their current stories lol

Comment by Julia – August 1, 2011 04:45 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Why are you jumping to the conclusion that Gillian is alive? She might not be. Ever heard of flashbacks, dreams, and fantasy scenes?

Comment by Jane – August 15, 2011 11:01 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • So really if they bring her back can Becca come back for Scott?

Comment by colleen – August 1, 2011 04:27 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Is this character related to DUke and Ana Lavery?

Comment by Jason – August 1, 2011 04:38 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I can answer this one: Ryan’s mother was Duke’s sister.

Comment by Matt Webb Mitovich – August 1, 2011 04:45 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • So was Duke on AMC. I remember ANa was crossed over

Comment by Jason – August 1, 2011 08:28 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
        • I don’t think Duke ever actually showed up, but Anna and Ryan discussed it once.

Comment by raelee514 – August 1, 2011 08:33 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • It’s because of AAAAAAALLLLLLLLLLLL the time the show started devoting to Ryan-Greenlee-Kindel a few years ago that I stopped watching the show after many, many, many years of being a fan (I’m talking the when Erica married Jeff Martin years).

Comment by topsyturvy – August 1, 2011 05:22 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I am reminded of Whoopi Goldberg’s line in Sopadish about writing for someone without a head. Ummmmm…..doesn’t Laura English have her heart? Damn, if she’s alive and kicking David has been a VERY busy man.

Comment by Michele – August 1, 2011 05:42 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Wow! I was thinking the same exact thing. I saw Soapdish a long time ago and that scene with Whoopi Goldberg talking about resurrecting a decapitated character stayed in my head to this day! Just goes to show ANYTHING can happen on a soap.

Comment by Marcy – August 4, 2011 09:06 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I’m happy they have all these characters coming back for a bit before the show ends. It’s great for the fans and shows such respect for the creator Nixon that they are willing to do this. I agree though the writers will have to do some heavy hitting on the writing to make some things believable!Glad the show is going out with a bang!

Comment by Lori – August 1, 2011 05:46 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Truthfully, it doesn’t have to be too believable to be good tv. Remember, its a soap. Although AMC has always tried to deal with “real” issues, the fact is they have brought back many characters from the great beyond. Whether Gillian is an angel, appears in a dream, or is another one of David’s experiments, I’m glad she is back. The show has been awesome during the last few weeks thanks to Lorraine Broderick and Agnes Nixon. Even with the far-fetched storylines going on, the writing is sharp, funny, emotional and it actually makes sense (as much as soap opera dialogue can make sense). I’m sad to see AMC go off network tv, but I’m glad that it is going out with a bang on such a high note!

Comment by dan – August 2, 2011 08:47 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Forgot to add that I’m probably in the minority but I like Ryan and Greenlea together. However in a perfect world, Ryan and Gillian and Greenlea and Leo were so much better together.

Comment by Lori – August 1, 2011 05:48 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • AWESOME!! I don’t know where they’re going with this, since they’ve tried very hard to convince us that Ryan and Greenlee belong together, but I’ve always thought that Ryan belonged with Gillian and Greenlee belonged with Leo. Looks like they’re really pulling out all the stops before the finale. They should bring back Edmund, too. Heck, why not bring back every single popular character who died on the show? David is a miracle worker, right?

Comment by Carrie – August 1, 2011 06:35 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Maybe David could bring GiGi back for Rex on OLTL. She doesn’t have a heart anymore either!

Comment by Cy – August 1, 2011 07:37 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • The same thought crossed my mind earlier while watching OLTL when Rex was imagining he saw Gigi

Comment by Kms – August 1, 2011 08:24 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I am so, so, so, very happy. Gillian is my all time favorite character, and noone else has ever been better with Ryan. I HATE Ryan with Greenlee. As for David, he was very much around with Gillian and did Blackmail her into his bed. David even admitted years later that he basically “raped” Gillian in one of his softer periods. I stopped watching the show a few years ago, but have remained updated, but for this I will definately tune back in!!

Comment by Cindar – August 1, 2011 09:20 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Looks like David has been busy bringing back to life everyone who ever died in Pine Valley. Way to go, David!

Comment by IrishSharon – August 2, 2011 12:02 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Okay. If we are going to bring old couples back, how about Phil and Tara? The first official ship on AMC. Now I know I’m dating myself! But, they were awesome.

Comment by jan – August 2, 2011 07:47 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I remember Phil and Tara, Gosh I’ve watching the stories since 1970′s. Not just this one but also back with Chucks the doctor wife died. I’m gonna miss my network soaps, I hope I can find a way to watch them on line. I hope they make they mobile ready also just incase.

Comment by rita – August 3, 2011 12:59 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Coming back from the dead is a bit hard to believe, but if this wonderful show has to end I am very happy we get to see all of our favorites once more.

Comment by Judy – August 2, 2011 08:51 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Newsflash: the show isn’t ending. Its been in the news for weeks that they got picked up by a company that plans to continue them online. It’s somewhere on this website for sure and you can easily do an Internet search for information.

Comment by IKitty – August 2, 2011 06:23 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • i enjoyed watching the show til everyone switched partners.erica cain needs to have a good vac with jack.i vagely rem ryan and gillian but i agree that ryan and greenlee dont belong together that she belongs with leo.where will dixie fit in.david brings all back but who will actually die and not be saved.or will this project help davids rep or make it worse for him.what did happen to amandas dad trevor?i missed that old guy.i miss edmund and his bro too.but i doubt they bring him back cause of maria and him no longer married.which i like them together.and once all the good david does,i guess the ppl in pine valley will be happy but hes gonna be sad.so can he bring back his daughter babe,i really miss her.and jr really needs his mom b4 he really hurts someone.

Comment by beverly – August 2, 2011 11:30 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Janet from another planet killed Trevor and put him in the freezer. I really like him too.

Comment by Mindy Mew – September 9, 2011 09:52 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Lori you are not alone. I love ryan and greenlee and agree about leo and gillian being their true soulmates. I could not stand when madison was with ryan….I can’t stand her in general though. I love all of the characters coming back and love how all things are tying together and all making sense. That surely is tough to do when most of these people died many years ago when there wasn’t even a thought of the show ending. I think the orpheous idea was perfect.

Comment by Marie – August 6, 2011 05:20 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • As long as there is going to be THE GREAT REUNION why not bring back
    Stuart (for Marion)? I am sure David Canary can handle two characters again.
    I am also glad Gillian will return, she was classy! Is there any news as to what will happen to Griff and Cara, if Dixie and Zach re-unite with their exes?

Comment by Frankie – August 8, 2011 10:29 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I hope Gillian does come back alive and in the flesh! Ryan and gillian were perfect together and I think they should make it that Leo comes back forreal too cause for some reason I don’t like Ryan and greenlee together.

Comment by Angie – August 19, 2011 10:22 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Ryan & Greenlee have a tight bond, but there was nothing like Leo & Greenlee and Ryan & Gillian. I’m so sad – and MAD – that the show is going off, but I will definitely continue to follow it online.

Comment by Mindy Mew – September 9, 2011 09:56 AM PDT  Reply To This Post