The TVLine-Up: TV Worth Watching This Week

Coming to your screen this week: Two big finales — one in which humanity’s fate is at stake, the other concerning Ashley’s love life — a long-lost NBC comedy series, and the truth behind Torchwood‘s “miracle.” As but a supplement to the fresh features and reporting TVLine has coming your way, here are 36 programs to keep on your radar.

8pm The Bachelorette (ABC) |
Who will get stuck wi… Er, I mean, Who will Ashley choose? And after the final rose is handed out: After the Final Rose, airing at 10.
9 pm The Closer (TNT) | Raydor has a startling suggestion for Brenda. Phenomenon II?
9 pm Warehouse 13 (Syfy) | Pete’s ex-wife shows up, and she’s itching to remarry. On top of it all, she looks just like Jeri Ryan. Decisions….
9 pm Bad Girls Club (Oxygen) | It’s hell to the N.O. as Season 7 sends seven sassy Sallies to Louisiana.
10 pm Rizzoli & Isles (TNT) | Annie Wersching (24) and Max Martini (The Unit) play the parents of an abducted teen.
10 pm Switched at Birth (ABC Family) | While Bay and Emmett’s romance blooms, Daphne has trouble accepting the birthday gift of a car (!) from John and Kathryn. News bonus: SAB just had its first-season order expanded to 32 total episodes!
10 pm Weeds (Showtime) | Nancy has a run-in with an old acquaintance. Does he look like Big Daddy Winchester? No? Bummer.
10:30 pm The Big C (Showtime) | Cathy’s new job as a swim coach is threatened.
11:30 pm | Last chance to get in your birthday wishes to me.

8 pm Pretty Little Liars (ABC Family) |
Emily decides to come clean to her father about Danby — until pesky “A” has her say, that is.
9 pm Take the Money and Run (ABC) | Series premiere: Two-person teams are given one hour to hide a briefcase containing $100,000. If trained detectives can’t find it within two days, ka-ching! And somehow Zen Gesner fits into it all.
9 pm The Nine Lives of Chloe King (ABC Family) | When the cops catch Chloe under suspicious circumstances, her mom snoops on her laptop… and discovers she is “A”! (Imagine?)
9 pm White Collar (USA Network) | Matt Bomer. Eliza Dushku. In other words, a li’l something for everyone.
10 pm Billy the Exterminator (A&E) | Season 4 finds Billy Bretherton and his crew casting a wider net, tackling pythons in Florida, gators in Texas and the like.
10 pm HawthoRNe (TNT) | Cristina’s spiraling all problems have led to this: an eye-opening therapy session.
10 pm Covert Affairs (USA Network) | When one of Annie’s former professors turns up dead, she learns he was a CIA operative caught up in something big.

8 pm So You Think You Can Dance (Fox) |
Here the Top 6 dance, while Idol alum Pia Toscano sings on Thursday’s results show.
9 pm Franklin & Bash (TNT) | Machete don’t arbitrate! The just-renewed series’ freshman finale features pulp film badass Danny Trejo as a wrestler suing his boss for age discrimination. Tricia Helfer also guest-stars.
9 pm Royal Pains (USA Network) | Julie Benz (Dexter) plays a lesbian farmer — not that there’s anything wrong with that.
10 pm Primetime Nightline: Beyond Belief (ABC) | Believing that he floated above and looked down at his own body when he cheated death years ago, Bob Woodruff asks experts about similar phenomenon.
10 pm Necessary Roughness (USA Network) | Dani heads to her high school reunion, despite the fact that ex-hubby Ray (Craig Bierko) is going to be there.
10 pm Rescue Me (FX) | An interview escalates into a brawl. Hey, who else remembers the time Ausiello talked to William Fichtner and…?

8 pm Community (NBC) |
Worth watching if only for Troy’s reaction upon meeting Levar Burton.
8:30 pm Parks and Recreation (NBC) | While Jerry’s painting raises eyebrows, Leslie and Ben struggle to comply with Chris’ office romance ban.
9 pm Shark City (Discovery) | Shark Week “Chief Shark Officer” Andy Samberg (of Saturday Night Live) goes swimming with the toothy ones.
10 pm Suits (USA Network) | Mad Men alum Abigail Spencer guest-stars as a law school rival of Harvey’s.

5:30 pm Minority Report (HBO) |
Prep for the new CBS series Person of Interest by revisiting this similarly flavored thriller.
8 pm Friends With Benefits (NBC) | Finally (!) seeing the light of day, this rom-com’s ensemble includes Ryan Hansen (Veronica Mars), Danneel Ackles (One Tree Hill) and Jessica Lucas (Melrose Place).
10 pm Torchwood: Miracle Day (Starz) | Going undercover, the team learns the truth about the titular “miracle” — and just as Death’s holiday winds down.
11 pm Whisker Wars (IFC) | This new series follows professional beard-growers. (And you thought Liza Minnelli would never do a reality series…)

11 pm Michael Ian Black: Very Famous (Comedy Central) |
The Stella/The State alum takes on Halloween, first-time skydiving and other topics in this stand-up special.

8 pm Teen Choice 2011 (Fox) |
Perhaps the only kudoscast to rival the MTV Movie Awards in its over-the-top love for Twilight. On the TV side, Vampire Diaries and Glee enter the night touting the most nominations, while Kaley Cuoco is your hostess with the mostess.
9 pm True Blood (HBO) | Bill makes an unpopular move to save the vampires, while Eric turns his negated memory into a positive.
9 pm Falling Skies (TNT) | The two-hour season finale finds the 2nd Mass readying to attack on the alien structure, just as Tom struggles to process the significance of Anne’s discovery.
10 pm Breaking Bad (AMC) | All I want to note is that this week’s episode follows an airing of Pulp Fiction, which seems just a bit perfect.
10 pm Behind the Music: Adam Lambert (VH1) | The onetime aspiring Idol opens up about his career and sexuality, while Kris Allen is among the industry experts and peers interviewed.
10:30 pm Entourage (HBO) | Sons of Anarchy‘s Kim Coates reprises his Season 5 role of unscrupulous movie producer Carl Ertz.

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out / Change )

1. laura says:

Well all i have to say is that TW had better cough up some aliens soon. FOUR episodes with not an alien in sight (unless they of course look like humans currently) which seems ridiculously odd for a show based around aliens. It’s turning into SGU which never had a definitive alien enemy to draw it all together.

i’ll be sticking around for Barrowman, but i’m not enjoying much else of the show tbh.

• Mars says:

god, I AGREE COMPLETELY!!!!!!!!! I don’t even care if there’s no alien, but can we stop it with the durcell bunny of a conspiracy theory? It just keeps going and going and going… with no end in sight! I’m honestly bored (and rewatching Series 2, my fav!).

Also, i really don’t care about the other characters besides CJ, Gwen and Rhys. Fast forwarded through most of last week’s episode.

Meanwhile, I’m getting a little mad at John Barrowman’s comments during comic-con about how while CJ was immortal, he didn’t “feel.” Great, Russell T. Davies! Bravo! So what we felt for his pain and love was all a joke to you? I mean, I am a Jack/Ianto fan, but I also love the idea of Jack having experienced love with other people like Estelle and his wife, etc. So are we suppose to toss out all the CJ mythology just because very few American audience haven’t seen the previous series and you had to redo his life story?! I don’t even recognize this show anymore…

• xav says:

Totally disagree. I love the departure from the silly looking aliens for something a little more serious.

• Elllie says:

• dw says:

I love conspiracy/sci fi/action adventure shows just as much as the next person (probably more) and will always be a huge fan of series like Lost, FlashForward, Fringe, etc. but it is absolutely AWFUL to see Torchwood turning into something so dark and convoluted. I know RTD wants to have a darker/more adult theme and not go back to the “monster of the week” formula, but I feel it leaves fans of classic TW in the dust. At least COE was only 5 episodes. Another major problem I have is that John Barrowman… well, let’s just say, he’s definitely NOT the best screen actor, so it’s silly – but passable – to have him in a silly sci fi/alien show filled with sex aliens and the occasional serious moments, but it’s weird to the point of uncomfortable to watch to have him be so serious and “i-have-the-world-on-my-shoulder” all the time. Maybe that’s just me, but sometimes when CJ starts explaining things to Rex and Esther, John’s facial expressions just make me burst out laughing, like “damn, that’s some bad acting.”

2. IamLou says:

I loved Torchwood’s last British season. I am enough of a fan to wait until the end to make up my mind. As far as aliens are concerned… well, this is Torchwood, so as in any Christmas special, you have to keep faith that Santa is gonna be in the last scene :-)

3. Gusar says:

LOOOOOOOL about that Cloe King bit. Yeah, imagine. Hey, if it saves the show, I’m all for it!! :)
    But more likely Chloe will just be another one for my already too long ‘awesome show that did not make it beyond the first season’ list. *sigh* :(

4. kt says:

The “Whisker Wars” description….just Bravo! hahaha

5. mars says:

looking forward to shark week highlights and Adam Lambert’s behind the music! Can’t wait ’till summer’s over (and doctor who starts again OMG! *fangirling*).

6. JustALittleBit says:

Well, can’t wait for Switched At Birth for the blossoming romance between Bay and Emmett <3

7. Lorakeet says:

Umm, Happy Birthday!

8. Cari says:

Um… Torchwood is not having its finale this Friday. Its only halfway through the 10 episodes (the 5th one being this Friday). I think maybe Matt meant Falling Skies since Noah Wylie’s picture is showing.

9. Cari says:

oops nevermind.. i totally read that wrong.

10. xav says:

I’ve been loving Torchwood so much this season. And, Warehouse 13 is always perfect too.

11. Katherine215 says:

How about some love for Alphas on Syfy? Monday nights with Warehouse 13, Alphas, and Switched at Birth are must-see tv this summer!

12. Katy says:

Happy Birthday for Tuesday!

13. LocalBoy says:

Yeah, where’s the love for Alphas?

14. cpreynolds says:

Happy Birthday, Matt!

15. Fudgefase says:

Hey LocalBoy – I have been totally blown away by the acting of Ryan Cartwright in Alphas. I’d only ever seen him in Bones prior to this and am amazed at how completely he’s dropped into the role in Alphas. I really hope it gets picked up for a second season.

16. Laura says:

Thanks for telling me about the Michael Ian Black special. I was at the taping and hadn’t heard when it would be broadcast.
    It was hilarious and can’t wait to watch it!

17. Ava says:

Happy Birthday!

18. Jay says:

Happy birthday, Matt! Hope it’s a good one.

19. CarolH says:

Happy Happy Birthday Matt!!!!!!

20. sladewilson says:

Happy Birthday, Matt!!

21. Karen says:

Matt – please have a very happy birthday… your columns keep up the good work.

22. Mick says:

Pope from falling skies reminds me of RH from OLTL.

23. Lisa says:

Happy Birthday Matt :-)

24. dw says:

Happy Birthday, my fellow Leo!

25. Connie says:

Hey Matt, Happy Birthday. Always enjoy your columns.

26. Lorie says:

The Closer – Can’t wait to see how Brenda gets her comeuppance. Raydor practically begs her to get a lawyer in tonight’s episode.

Necessary Roughness – Nico is slowly becoming my favorite character. He is SO hot in a dark, quiet sort of way! Am I the only one who wants him and Dani to hook up? Maybe I just want to live vicariously through her. :)

Royal Pains – When will we learn Paige’s secret? I’m getting tired of guessing.

Suits – Harvey’s my new summer crush! This is now tied with The Closer as my favorite summer show.

Matt – Hope this is your best birthday yet!

27. V says:

What about Rookie Blue?! Its the episode after Andy breaks up with Luke.