T.R. Knight's First TV Gig Since Grey's Anatomy Is Law & Order: SVU

T.R. Knight has booked his first TV role since famously parting ways with Grey’s Anatomy in 2009, and it promises to be a compelling one.

Knight will guest-star on NBC’s Law & Order: SVU, TVLine has confirmed, playing a suspected serial rapist. Knight’s episode is currently in production, says TVGuide.com (which first reported on the casting); no air date has been set.

Hot Shot: A First Look at Law & Order: SVU‘s Sexy New Team

Since negotiating his exit from Grey’s two years ago — following much backstage tension after costar Isaiah Washington directed an anti-gay slur at him — Knight has focused on stage work, including a fall 2010 run in Broadway’s A Life in the Theatre, opposite Patrick Stuart.

On Grey’s, he earned an Emmy nomination in 2007, for his portrayal of Dr. George O’Malley.

SVU: Kyle MacLachlan, Paige Turco Cast in Schwarzenegger Scandal-Esque Episode

SVU kicks off its 13th and rather transitional (given a flurry of cast changes) season on Wednesday, Sept. 21 at 10/9c.

1. Dale says:

Soo, is his “character” raping men or women? Curiosity. . .

• Veronica says:

Soo Dale, does it matter? Are you that ignorant? Curiosity…

• Dale says:

It does matter because it will determine my viewership. Oh, wait. Who watches Law and Order: SVU? Curiosity. . .

I think Isiah Washington got it right the first time. Too bad he lost his job, its already hard for black actors to get work. Shame.

• shamalama says:

Sooooo..I’ll continue with this…Are you implying rape is more acceptable if it’s towards man or a woman who gets raped? Funny how you ask who watchs L&O SVU and then you feel the need to post something about it. And it’s curious, not curiosity…

• Dale says:

I think its more acceptable if men are subjected to it. T.R probally preferred the writers write it that way.

• vicki says:

you really must be homophobic and a hater or just stupid. would you feel any different if someone called Isiah Washington the N. word and someone reported this person got it right. We are all human beings and deserve to. be treated with respect regardless of how we look or sexual orientation

• Beth says:

Rape is NEVER acceptable. Neither is racism or bigotry or judging someone by their sexuality or religion.

Idiot.

2. Barbara says:

Didn’t miss him AT ALL!!!!

3. amelia says:

loved TR on Greys and am excited to see more from him. <3

4. danielle says:

love him or hate him, TR was absolutely amazing on greys anatomy and deserved his emmy nod in ’07. really excited to see him back on tv…cant get enough of my 007 <3

5. deedeedragons says:

Um…. Matt it’s Patrick STEWART. Do you would wanna get Picard or Professor X mad?

6. JustALittleBit says:

Can’t wait .

7. xav says:

That’s fun. I miss him on the show.

8. Fudgefase says:

I truly hated what they did with George’s storyline on GA. It was a terrible waste of what had started as a good character. I’ll be interested to see what he does with this role – though it’ll be hard shaking off the memory of george! Having said that, anyone who saw Alex O’Laughlan’s guest role part on (was it?) Criminal Minds, would know that is is actually possible!

9. Matt says:

Producers lining up some very good castings for SVU this season. They must be petrified it’s going to do badly.

10. LA says:

Nothing against the guy personally, but he has the charisma of a turnip. I was surprised at how little I ultimately ended up missing George (not at all).

11. Jill says:

I’m still sad that T.R.’s “Grey’s Anatomy” character Dr. George O’Malley was killed off. I don’t even watch this show but I’ll watch that episode. Can’t wait. He’s very good actor!

12. mc says:

I always loved TR in Grey’s and i’m thrilled to see him explore other kinds of characters. he is a great actor so im sure he’ll do great.

13. Kelly says:

COOL TR! This should be good! I’m really excited for this. :)

14. Beth says:

TR was on Law & Order: Criminal Intent for an episode in 2004. They love to reuse actors in the L&O World. Too bad they couldn’t pay Meloni more money to stay on. I don’t want to watch SVU anymore without Elliot!

15. Jennifer says:

I love T.R. Knight… I miss him so much on Grey’s!!!

16. Jennifer says:

I miss T.R. on Grey’s Anatomy!! He is such a great actor.. I wish they hadn’t killed him off.

17. Nancy says:

Go T.R.! Can’t wait to see him back on my screen. It’s a shame how they wasted his talent during his last two seasons on Grey’s Anatomy.

18. mandy says:

I’m happy to see TR on tv again. Grey’s hasn’t been the same without him; in fact, I rarely watch.
    He was on a CSI episode years ago, too, so reusing guest stars is not unique to L&O. I will definitely make a point of watching this episode.

19. Sara says:

T.R.Knight is a bad actor. He’s so annoying. I just can’t stand him!

20. B says:

“…following much backstage tension after costar Isaiah Washington directed an anti-gay slur at him…”

i’m pretty sure washington used a slur when having a fight with patrick dempsey…and tr knight wasn’t even on set…how did the story change that much???

• Dylan says:

The slur was aimed at TR even though he wasn’t there. Yes he was talking to Dempsey but was talking about Knight. Anywho im happy to see him playing a darker character. As for George….I don’t think we’ve seen the last of him. Hopefully in like 8 years when Greys Anatomy does its final season we’ll get to see all our favorites (George, Burke, Erica, and Izzie) one last time whether its a return to the hospital or a flashback or a creepy fun story like dead Denny in season 5.

• JaniceX says:

Nice to see TR getting a gig on Network television again. He’s been sorely missed on Grey’s. Haven’t seen IW on TV other than repeats of a few of his C role movies since he got himself fired. hehe

21. Jill says:

I was surprised I didn’t miss George more when his character left. That being said, Rhimes deliberately weaned us off of him by failing to give him a decent story line or much screen time in his last two years on the show so that his absence wouldn’t be felt that much. Watch out Patrick. I think she started doing the same thing with you in season seven. I don’t watch L&O anymore. I got completely overdosed a few years ago on them. But I’ll catch TR. Pompeo played a psycho in two of them before Grey’s and she was crazy good! There is more to the story of TR asking to leave GA before his contract was up. I guess we will find out after the show ends when someone does a tell all. An actor doesn’t leave a popular show earning big money without a good reason especially when he didn’t have anything else lined up.

• Nikos says:

Didn’t TR go back to theatre for quite some time after he left GA? I remember seeing pictures from premieres and stuff. But I agree there was probably more to his departure than we know so far.

22. Jill says:

Go,TR! I’m happy to see TR on tv again.

I think TR is a good actor. I was really surprised when I saw him singing and dancing on stage.
    T.R. was nominated for an Ovation Awards for his performance as Lead Actor in the play Parade.

Right, TR Knight returned to the stage.He didn’t stop acting . He did a stage musical in Los Angeles (Parade )and a Broadway play with Patrick Stewart and he did a sort play also in June wich called (Sold) opposite (Law & Order’s) Kathryn Erbe

23. BJohnson says:

Makes sense, he was in an episode of Law & Order: Criminal Intent before Grey’s or at the beg of Grey’s. Go with what you know. SVU is going to have to pad up their guest starring cast in order to draw those viewers out who due to Meloni leaving, I know a lot of people were saying they were not watching, but I still will be. As much as I loved those shirtless Stabler scenes, I still like the rest of the cast. LOL

24. Jillie says:

I’m an other Jill, – Jillian

Go,TR! I’m happy to see TR on tv again.

25. bruce says:

i am glad he has another show. he is a great actor. i hope to see more of him at online tv tvhod.

26. ashley says:

Ur a major dick. Go to hell.

27. Ms. Y says:

I never cared for George O’malley’s character on Greys. His character was unlikeable. Also I thought he purposely tried to ruin Isaiah Washington’s career by going to the media. I don’t think he was truthful. Don’t get me wrong, Isaiah Washington opened his big mouth and made a bad situation worse. So he should not come back and T.R. shouldn’t either. Basically it was stupidity in action with both parties. With T.R. I’m glad he Isn’t on tv anymore, all I can think about is that big mess when I see his fat doughboy face!!!!