Fall TV Preview

Parks and Recreation Exclusive: Patricia Clarkson to Raise Hell as Tammy 1

That noise you hear is the sound of Ron Swanson’s trademark mustache wilting.

Sources close to Parks and Recreation confirm to TVLine exclusively that Oscar-nominated actress (and Andy Samberg’s Motherlover) Patricia Clarkson has nabbed the coveted role of Tammy 1, the much-feared first ex-wife of Nick Offerman’s Ron.

The character was seen from behind in the May finale, triggering a mountain of speculation as to who would play the predecessor to Megan Mullally’s hilariously unhinged Tammy 2. TVLine even jumped into the fray, offering a litany of suggestions including Lucy Lawless and Kirstie Alley.

And although the sublime Clarkson was not on our short list, she will do very nicely. (Clarkson’s last significant sitcom gig was a decade ago when she appeared in a five-episode arc on Frasier as a love interest for Kelsey Grammer’s titular shrink.)

Exec producer Michael Schur says viewers should not expect Tammy 1 to be a retread of Tammy 2. “We talked about pretty much every possible iteration of who she is and what her backstory is and all we knew is that we didn’t want to do the same thing we did with Tammy 2,” the boss recently told TVGuide.com. “Tammy 1 is her own specific brand of demon. I think we came up with backstory for her that’s both funny and illuminating and also answers all of the questions that you would have when seeing people’s reactions to her presence in the finale.”

Clarkson is expected to appear in two episodes, beginning with Parks‘ Sept. 22 season premiere.

Thoughts? Thumbs up? Thumbs down? Thumbs sideways? Hit the comments!

Comments (47)

• Not who I was expecting, but can’t say I’m disappointed by the choice.

Comment by Kristen – July 28, 2011 01:17 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I like her also but she seems so much older than fearless Ron.

Comment by toni – July 29, 2011 01:25 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • Hilariously she is 1 year younger than Megan Mullally.

Comment by Sheridan New – November 1, 2012 05:08 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • HELL. YES.

Comment by Dominique – July 28, 2011 01:18 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • THUMBS UP! Parks and Rec effin’ rocks! Can’t wait to see Ron and Tammy 1 lock horns.

Comment by LOL – July 28, 2011 01:20 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Thumbs up. Way up.

(Bonus points if she somehow has a liason with Andy Samberg’s Park Ranger.)

Comment by Lindsay – July 28, 2011 01:20 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I loved Andy Samberg as the park ranger. If it gets him back then yes I agree let’s have them liase.

Comment by Asha – July 29, 2011 06:09 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I LOVE Patricia Clarkson! So excited to see how they do this. :)

Comment by Mikaylah – July 28, 2011 01:20 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Brilliant! I can’t think of anyone who could play an ice queen able to scare even Tammy 2 better than PC! Parks &Rec just keeps raising the bar…

Comment by stephag – July 28, 2011 01:21 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Hell yes indeed. Superb casting. Glad to see her back in the small screen.

Comment by HI – July 28, 2011 01:21 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Hells. Yes.

Comment by Kenbud – July 28, 2011 01:22 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Wow, I did not expect this casting choice at all but I can’t say I’m upset! Patricia Clarkson is so brilliant—my favorite role of hers is as the hippy flowerchild sister Sarah of neurotic and uptight Ruth Fisher on Six Feet Under.

One complaint—only two episodes? Really?

Comment by Raquel – July 28, 2011 01:27 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • LOVE IT but it also makes me mad about nick offerman lack of emmy nom

Comment by nessie – July 28, 2011 01:27 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Wow, would not have been my prediction, but I LOVE Patricia Clarkson! She’s just wonderful. She’ll rock and really bring her special touch to this. I cannot wait.

Comment by jrs – July 28, 2011 01:30 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • This is AMAZING casting! Cannot wait to see Tammy 1 in action. Parks & Rec can really do no wrong these days.

Comment by ER – July 28, 2011 01:34 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • This is fantastic! I know she is going to be awesomesauce!

Comment by Amy – July 28, 2011 01:36 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Love love love this casting! She is going to be amazing.

Comment by Josh – July 28, 2011 01:42 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Oh my gosh this is just too awesome for words! LOVE HER!

Comment by Natalie – July 28, 2011 01:47 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Ehhh she plays the same role everytime

Comment by jeff – July 28, 2011 01:47 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I was secretly hoping that they’d cast Molly Shannon. This was a desire that had no foundation behind it whatsoever…. but once I thought it, I wanted it so badly.

Comment by Logistics – July 28, 2011 02:00 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I love it too! Way to think outside of the box P&R!!!

Comment by Em – July 28, 2011 02:05 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • This made my day. Now I’m even more excited about Tammy 1.

Comment by Aaron – July 28, 2011 02:06 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Best. Decision. Ever.

Comment by ryanandhobbes – July 28, 2011 02:08 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • awesome!

Comment by Teresa – July 28, 2011 02:17 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Excellent choice!

Comment by mandy – July 28, 2011 02:19 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • wow this is PERFECT!!

Comment by Myra – July 28, 2011 02:29 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • She has to be brunette though! Remember Ron saying that he liked brown-haired women? Otherwise, I love this choice.

Comment by Sam – July 28, 2011 02:52 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I was thinking the exact same thing. I din’t expect to have to go so far down into the comments to find it.

I really hope there’s some backstory about Ron liking blondes…and her scaring him off them etc. Obviously not scaring, because it’s Ron Swanson, but I used an ellipsis up there, so clearly my brain isn’t working in the right way.

Comment by Late Party – July 29, 2011 02:55 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Awesome choice!

Comment by Lorie – July 28, 2011 05:32 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Love the choice!

Comment by Justin – July 28, 2011 05:48 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • YESSS! Awesome! Great get!

Comment by Mal – July 28, 2011 07:24 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Like the casting, love the actress, but I still wish it was Jennifer Coolidge.

Comment by laylagalise – July 28, 2011 08:10 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I still kind of wish they had just hired Megan Mullaly to play both Tammy 1 & Tammy 2.

Comment by Liv – July 29, 2011 06:11 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Much like everything with Parks and Rec, I didn’t see it coming and yet it makes perfect sense! This show is too smart to “stunt cast,” so instead we get a great actress, pretty well known, very funny, and just famous enough to be a big deal without her name drawing attention away from her character.

My one question though – a blonde? Could we see the origin of Ron’s preference of pretty brunettes?

Comment by John – July 28, 2011 10:35 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Parks and Rec and Community seem to be doing the best casting at the moment. Like everyone else I didn’t expect this at all, but I’m beyond pleased with this choice.

Comment by Jason C. Wilkerson – July 28, 2011 10:52 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Tis is going to be epic : D

Comment by S. from A. – July 29, 2011 02:50 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • this is going to be so good! also, while everyone is saying she has to be brunette, maybe it was tammy’s 1′s evil-ness that turned him off blondes? just a thought. but not really importnant, it’s still going to be amazing.can’t wait for sept. 22!

Comment by awesomesauce – July 29, 2011 06:51 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Can’t wait to see Karen Walker again. I hope they give a large part in the show.

Comment by Barbra – July 29, 2011 08:06 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Holy shizballs!!! This is the best decision ever. Not what I was expecting, but just after seeing her two recent Momturns (Easy A and FWP), she’ll be great. Add that to her stronger work (Pieces of April anyone?!?) and we know she’ll act the crap out of that role. Sooo excited.

Comment by Jason r – July 29, 2011 11:19 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I just hope there’s a confrontation between the two Tammys!

Comment by Dan W – July 29, 2011 11:26 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Loved her in “Lars and the Real Girl” She can do anything. Good choice.

Comment by kelly b – July 29, 2011 11:33 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • “Lars and the Real Girl” is one of my favorite movies of all time. She was amazing in it, and she’ll be amazing on P&R.

Comment by Marissa – August 5, 2011 07:26 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Great casting choice. From High Art to The Station Agent PC I have almost always enjoyed her performances.

Comment by JCF – July 29, 2011 12:17 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • “titular shrink”. hahaha

Comment by Stu – July 29, 2011 12:36 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Nice choice! Great actress!

Comment by Kristine – July 29, 2011 01:00 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Patricia Clarkson is slowly but most surely becoming one of my absolute favorite actresses ever. She never fails me in anything she does.

Comment by Alisa – July 29, 2011 08:38 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Too old for the part and she’s not dark haired. Is she going to wear a wig?
    If not are we all ignoring Ron’s fetishes that the show’s already established?
    I think Kirstie Alley would have been a better choice.

Comment by KeShawn – July 30, 2011 12:20 PM PDT  Reply To This Post