HBO Sets Premieres for Boardwalk Empire, Luck and Others, Reopens Ladies' Detective Agency

The Television Critics Association summer press tour continued on Thursday afternoon with HBO announcing premiere dates for five fall shows, as well as revealing its plan for David Milch’s Luck and a series of No. 1 Ladies’ Detective Agency movies. The pay cabler also renewed Real Time with Bill Maher for a 10th season.

Hot Video: HBO’s Boardwalk Empire Goes All In for Season 2

Of the premieres, Boardwalk Empire will launch its second, 12-episode season on Sunday, Sept. 25, at 9/8c. On Sunday, Oct. 2, Hung whips out its third, 10-episode season (airing at 10/9c), followed by How to Make It in America‘s eight-episode sophomore run.

Exclusive: Boardwalk Empire Casts ‘Bugsy’ Siegel

Then, come Monday, Oct. 10, Bored to Death will air its eight-episode third season at 9 pm, leading into Enlightened, a new series starring and exec-produced by Laura Dern.

The much-anticipated Luck — starring Dustin Hoffman, penned by Milch, directed by Michael Mann and set in the world of horse racing — will premiere in January 2012, occupying the Sunday time slot Big Love was wed to over the past few years.

First Look Video: HBO’s Luck Starring Dustin Hoffman

HBO also announced that rather than renew The No. 1 Ladies’ Detective Agency for another season, the drama would return as two or more standalone films — the first scripts for which network execs are perusing right now.

Hung Newcomer Pulls Out, Role Recast

Turning to Real Time, Maher was on hand at the HBO session to marvel, “I can’t believe it’s been 10 years…  20 years between this show and Politically Incorrect. It’s nice to be on a network that I myself watch. I actually like being here and…working with people I call my friends, legitimately.” (Reporting by Megan Masters)

Comments (21)

• Boardwalk Empire is one of the best dramas on tv. Right up there with Mad Men and Breaking Bad.

Comment by Joe – July 28, 2011 04:32 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Boardwalk Empire was a Mixed bag. Shows Like Terriers and Rubicon had way more impressive First seasons. Alas audience were not patience enough with these subtle shows. Hopefully season 2 Boardwalk will finally get out The Supranos shadow and other Related HBO series.

Comment by George – July 29, 2011 01:09 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Bout time they brought How to make it in America. Such a underrated, fun show.

Comment by TheDude – July 28, 2011 04:52 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I loved #1 Ladies Detective Agency. Jill Scott and Anika Noni Rose were wonderful. So glad it’s coming back, even in occasional movie incarnation.

Comment by evitwit – July 28, 2011 05:04 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Agreed!! I loved that show and it left with a cliff hanger. I’m so glad they are bringing it back in any form. I hope it will be with the same actors! :)

Comment by Kim R – July 28, 2011 05:46 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I really enjoyed this series. I can only hope the movies get massive audiences so the show can come back. But I’ll be happy with whatever they give us. Jill Scott was perfection, and Anika Noni Rose should pretty much be in everything.

Comment by Josh – July 28, 2011 05:59 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • I so agree 100% – hope you are on FB with us! This is the best news.

Comment by Barbara Soloski Albin – July 28, 2011 09:03 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Yes! Glad it’s coming back in some form, but I won’t say I’m not disappointed that it’s not coming back for a second season.

Comment by laylagalise – July 28, 2011 08:15 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • Maybe something will change. I have been emailing HBO for over 2 years, I consider this some sort of miracle. I knew about the movies, but I thought it would never happen. I hope you are on the FB site.

Comment by Barbara Soloski Albin – July 28, 2011 08:46 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • So happy, have been posting on the fb site for over 2 years! This is the best news ever.

Comment by Barbara Soloski Albin – July 28, 2011 08:45 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • LOVE Hung. Glad to hear it’s coming back. Thomas Jane & Jane Adams do criminally underrated work on that show.

Comment by Danny – July 28, 2011 05:10 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I’m pleasantly surprised by the No. 1 Ladies’ Detective Agency news. The books were just not my thing, but Jill Scott and Anika Noni Rose and the rest of the actors made the whole thing so charming and enjoyable. I’ll definitely be watching.

Comment by Brooke – July 28, 2011 07:00 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • It took a while for HBO to do anything about Ladies Detective Agency. I guess it didn’t have enough sex and violence to appeal to their core audience. A shame it won’t be running for several more seasons, but a couple of TV movies are better than nothing.

Comment by Amber – July 28, 2011 07:50 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I have been commenting to every person who writes on The No. 1 LDA facebook site for over 2 years now. I have written to every possible person, actors, producers, Michael Lombardo, journalists, WFC, etc. This is the best news that you can give the fans. We are waiting for the return of the series, we have been ‘standing on our toes’ like they do in Botswana!

Comment by Barbara Soloski Albin – July 28, 2011 08:37 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • The return of #1LDA is the best news of the week! I was convinced we would never hear of it again. Wow! Wonderful news!

Comment by Hennessy Badger – July 29, 2011 09:38 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I’m sad that The No. 1 LDA is not coming back as a series! One of the best CLEAN shows on tv that people of all ages can learn something from. HBO did a lousy job of marketing this show… #EPIC FAIL! The entire cast and the quirky characters make this show a spellbinding delight! I just watched the entire S1 all over again and the 2 hour pilot… All were amazing! I hope HBO learned it’s lesson and steps up their marketing game for the next movies or series and blast it on the channel like they do other shows like Entourage! I will definitely watch the movies or whatever format they produce this show in, but it needs to be run as a series. Get it together HBO! This show is one of two shows I pay for your service… Otherwise, no need to keep paying for crime, gore, etc… I can get that on regular TV! If HBO brought back Kenny Powers’ nonsense, it must bring this show back too!

Comment by Tess – July 30, 2011 05:30 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I am thrilled to hear that we will be getting another taste of No. 1 Ladies’ Detective Agency. I waited for a second season for a long time. When it didn’t appear likely, we dropped HBO at our house because No. 1 was the only reason we had HBO in the first place. I will be watching for the date of the first movie in time to reinstate HBO for that movie alone.

Comment by Brenda Abbott – October 14, 2011 08:21 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Very disappointed that the Number 1 Ladies won’t be back for a full season. Hbo, you are my favorite, but if you don’t want to bring this show back, why not give it to another station to bring back?

Comment by Carin – October 26, 2011 07:13 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • It doesn’t mention Big Love. HBO is awesome showing those episodes again.

Comment by smartman – November 21, 2011 11:39 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I have just completed season 1 of No 1 Ladies Detective Agency…its wonderful…I did not realize this series was even on HBO… your right the marketing was terrible…there is mention of 2 tv movies to continue this series… I sure hope so… Precious gets engaged and thats that!!! I am waiting…….

Comment by Judy Bailley – August 17, 2012 09:30 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • it is now September of 2013 and I am still had no news of Wendy’s movies are supposed to be coming out I didn’t even know that they were making it into a run on movies and the number one ladies detective agency was a hit I mean I’m young I’m barely fifteen and I say that a lot of kids and teens are age can learn a lot from that show that show had a beautiful cast & a great concept to it I love it love it love it Jill Scott please keep up the good work please bring back to show and bring back the movies and let it go hard and go all out um thank you again HBO please bring this back for me please

Comment by shunn – September 24, 2013 07:23 PM PDT  Reply To This Post