Doctor Who Spoiler Alert: Secret Babies, a Darker Doc and the Biggest Bad of All

After hitting nerd nirvana at Comic-Con, the stars and producers of BBC America’s Doctor Who took center stage at the Television Critics Association summer press tour in Beverly Hills on Thursday to dish about secret babies, traveling through time and… Hitler? Yes, the Doctor and his trusty companion, Amy, are taking on the biggest bad of all.

* Executive producer Steven Moffat issued this directive at the top of the session: Fans “cannot miss” the show’s return on Aug. 27. The episode, titled “Let’s Kill Hitler,” is one of star Matt Smith’s favorite hours. “It just rockets along,” raves the actor. It’s also the episode “where everything changes,” teases Moffat.

* Last season’s reveal that River Song is the daughter of Amy and Rory will continue to reverberate throughout the series – Amy begs the Doctor to find her in a sneak preview of the next month’s opener – and will lead to the unraveling of even more secrets. “You think you know the truth about River,” says Moffat. “You don’t know it yet. There’s loads more to come.” Adds Karen Gillan, who plays River Song’s mother: “It’s going to take some twists and turns. All of the relationships and the whole dynamic is going to change.” But the second half of the series will feature more than just big plot twists. It will explore “the emotional impact” of the reveal, says EP Piers Wenger, as well as the weirdness of just what the connection between Amy and River Song means. “They have to work out that Amy’s kissed the Doctor and so has her daughter,” says EP Beth Willis with a laugh. Talk about awkward!

* The weight of the world will finally catch up with the time-traveling Doc. “The dark side of a man who could have caused the end of the universe is considerable,” offers Moffat, adding that we’ll see the domestic and intergalactic consequences of that in the final six episodes of the season.

* Would Moffat ever consider taking Doctor Who abroad to America like his counterparts at Who‘s spinoff Torchwood? “It’s entirely about story,” he replied. “I don’t think in order to make Doctor Who successful in America you have to make stories set in America. … I’d like to do it. I don’t think it’s necessary. But absolutely, we like coming here.”

1. Saerwen says:

I love seeing Doctor Who get attention :-)

Just please, Steven Moffat, don’t ever move Doctor Who to America. Stories set here occasionnally aren’t bad, but it should remain what it is…British.

• Danielle says:

I completely agree with you. I love Doctor Who, but moving it to America? No. It’s been a British series for years, lets keep it that way! Also, I have a countdown on my calendar to the second half of the season… :D

• W0NK042 says:

Well put.

• keving says:

The show was moved to America, The Impossible Astronaut and the Day of the Moon, where both set and partially filmed in the US. I don’t know why the question was asked.

• Scott says:

I think they meant “moved” as its setting. Like the new Starz Torchwood is now set here. Basically everything has been set in England, with some exceptions, but have everything based in the US, again with exceptions. I’d just like to see an episode of (the new) Torchwood get a quick guest-shot of the Doctor.

• Rowan says:

Not just set in the US, Torchwood: Miracle Day was largely shot here in Los Angeles. The Warner Bros. backlot is all over the 2nd and 3rd episodes. The only thing that makes me glad it was shot in LA is that Jane Espensen has written several episodes – including the one from last week – which was far and away the best of the first three episodes.

• Bruce_F says:

Psh. Doctor Who is more Welsh than British these days.

• Bruce is DUMB says:

Welsh is British IDIOT!!

• Bruce_F (I'm with stupid) says:

Yes, Wales is under the umbrella of “Briton.” My meaning, you idiot, is that seeing as how the show is shot in Wales, there are plenty of jokes for and against the Welsh, and the BBC division responsible for the show is anchored in Wales, the show is much more specifically Welsh than it is broadly “British.”

• Rick says:

lol For some reason this reminds me of an eppy of Red Dwarf where Rimmer is issuing an unconditional surrender to an attack and tells Holly to “broadcast in all known languages, including Welsh”.

• TheManWithNoUsername says:

And just as Doctor Who doesn’t need to be set in America to appeal to Americans, it doesn’t need to be set in Britain to be British. The show is about all of time and space… it’s about humanity, itself, not just any individual nation. It’s a show about everything. Purposely confining it to America would be against the heart of Doctor Who.

2. Alicia says:

Doctor Who news! YAY! Can’t wait for that October episode where three doctors appear in the same episode!

• Amalthea says:

Sorry to dissapoint you but that’s one that HAS NOT been confirmed yet. If anything, they will save something like that for the 50th Anniversary that’s comming up.

I am wondering about the finale of Torchwood:MD having The Doctor in it? That would be EPIC!!

3. jen says:

just a note – that wasn’t a “season finale” and what begins on august 27 isn’t a “new season”. they are the front and back halves of the same season. And unlike some shows that do this, it makes sense ehre. it’s all part of one narrative and the separation between the halves isn’t that long. It’s not too different than a hiatus in early december followed by a return in late feb. and you wouldn’t refer to that a a new season, would you?

4. darclyte says:

I LOVE all the attention Dr Who and Torchwood have been getting. I just wish someone would write episode recaps for those series.

5. Christy says:

I also love all the American Dr. Who attention. :D

Also, the URL to this article is the best. “Dr. Who Spoilers Hitler Babies”!

6. timelord says:

we are going to find out that rory isn’t river song’s father

7. AT says:

I think we’re going to find out that River Song isn’t the wife of the Doctor. No romance between them at all. That will be surprising to a lot of fans. But I always thought the romantic angle was just a smoke screen for the real truth. River wanted the Doctor to believe they were romantically entangled.

• jenna says:

thats my thought as well. Would be a great plot twist thats for sure!

• Keren says:

:( That would be a good twist, but I wouldn’t like it. I re-watched “Silence in the Library” and “Forest of the Dead” recently and River really acted like she and the Doctor were romantically involved. I hope that they don’t make it all a ruse on her part

8. Duck Pond says:

I LOVE that “Doctor Who” AND “Torchwood” are getting attention!!…especially on TVLine!!!

But please, Moffat, please keep the show British.

9. Daniel says:

Thank God Doctor Who is getting some press on TVLine. THANK YOU! And +1 for keeping the show British. An occasional foray across the Atlantic, sure, but Doctor Who’s Britishness is quintessential.

10. Kristi says:

Thanks for the “Doctor Who” spoilers! More reports on the good Doctor, please! :)

11. Rachel says:

So glad to see scoop on Doctor Who!!!! I can’t wait til August 27th, to see how they deal with River. LOVED the midseason finale.

12. maggie says:

Finding out that River Song was Amy & Rory’s daughter wasn’t a surprise. Any regular viewer could have figured that out a long time ago.

13. Jamey says:

River is their BABY?! Aww crap… that’s what I deserve for surfing btwn sites while watching episode 6. Aww, Man!!!
    Brill plot twist tho…

14. Mars says:

Can’t wait for Doctor Who to come back!!! And also the highly anticipated ep. 7 of Torchwood is a week before that on 8/19, the same date David Tennant’s sexy vampire hunter hits the big screen! And it’s my birthday weekend! I’m going to have a ball!!! :D

15. Nat says:

The dark side of a man who could have caused the end of the universe?

Since when did he nearly cause the end of the universe? All I have seen is him saving people from the end of the universe so far…

16. find doctor says:

Now this show is broadcasting from USA. It’s very nice show. Very entertaining show.