Comic-Con

The Glee Crew on Cast Cuts, Series Regular Upgrades and a Big Dilemma for Coach Beiste

First, Glee reveals that it’s graduating (but not dismissing) Rachel, Finn and Kurt, and now… I can’t even bring myself to tell you which other McKinley High mainstay’s future may be up in the air.

Glee @ Comic-Con: Sue Seeks Office, Good Love for ‘Klaine’ and Mercedes, Spin-Off Update

What I will say is that it may involve Jenna Ushkowitz, Harry Shum Jr., Darren Criss or Dot Marie Jones, all of whom stopped by TVLine’s interview suite at Comic-Con to talk up the new season and share their own intel about their respective futures on the Fox phenom. Plus find out what Shum and Criss really think about their recent series regular promotions…

Loading video...

1. Heather says:

I still don’t understand why Glee was at Comic-Com….can someone explain??

2. Melanie says:

Cool interview! Nice to see them so relaxed and excited for the season. As for another mainstay’s tenure being up in the air? Gah! And what’s up with the complete lack of information on Max Adler? I’m starting to suspect a conspiracy of silence on the Karofsky storyline. Hope like hell the writers haven’t dropped it.

• Erik says:

Same here! I love Karofsky’s storyline!I hope he comes out to see him and joins ND next season especially after hearing Max sing!

• David says:

There is no Karofsky storyline anymore than there is a Becky storyline. Both exist in order to further the storyline of main characters. They may have him come out at some point, or be outed, or he may end up living his life exactly as Santana predicted. But he’s definitely not ever joining New Directions which means appearing in every episode. He’s a very minor character who was prominent in a few episodes because he was instrumental in Kurt’s storyline. He’ll still likely be around (unless they decide to say he eloped to New York with Sam) but not in a prominent way.

• Lily says:

Santana predicted already what will happen with Karofsky. And maybe after graduation, Kurt will catch Karofsky making out with another guy in some public place outside Lima…

• Lily says:

One day , I want a cool relaxed interview with Darren Criss and Chris Colfer sitting on a sofa.

3. clary says:

Jackie Chan as Mike’s dad. Now, that I’d loooooooooove to see!!!

4. Edward Salvesen says:

As for three stars leaving, I reported weeks ago on FOX/glee fan site that the trio weren’t leaving the show. All the news agencies took the graduation, out of context! I’m sad that Chord is leaving, but if an agreement can be worked before shooting starts, just maybe there is a chance.
    I would love to submit a GLEE arc whereby Artie is plausibly cured (with help from Santana and Sue). You have my address.

5. Sam says:

Harry, Darren, and Jenna pretty much articulated the problems with the show. Jenna actually said, “We really don’t know much about our characters.” Yeah, and we’re going into season 3.

• BB_Brune says:

Exactly!
      They’re practically begging for character development (Darren explicitly states that) and are super excited about having NEW writers…
      They could tell the 2nd season took a wrong turn with the storytelling.
      Hoping for a sharp improvement in the writing…

• Marie says:

I agree. I can’t remember watching another high school-set show where the actors don’t even know the age/grade of their characters. It shouldn’t be a surprise, especially since I still think their grade will affect whether they stay or not. Plus, the Comic-Con news showed again that the producers say whatever without telling the actors first.

6. disappointed viewer says:

I’m sorry, but this show was great in season 1 and then went downhill. Season 2 was all over the place, and now RM back tracks on his plans b/c of fan uproar. Of course they can’t loose Chris, Lea & Cory, they are the main reason for the shows success.

This show has seen better days, and I hope it doesn’t become all about Darren Criss. The guy is ok, but not the end all and be all as many seem to think. The only reason I may still watch is b/c Idina Menzel is supposed to be back for a major arc. Otherwise, RM and team has successfully managed to turn a great show into a jumbled mess.

• Angie says:

Glee has lost what made us fall in love with it in the first place: HEART.

• Lily says:

It still has heart but in another, more dark and dramatic place… Ok, time to be more upbeat and fluffy again…

• Ugh says:

Idina Menzel is one of the reasons I probably WON’T be back for season 3. Can’t stand her. Am I the only person driven batty by her lisp?

• Puckleberry says:

Disappointed Viewer, I am with you. Murphy and co. are turning a once great show (Season 1 is amazing!) into this show with no direction, last-minute writing and no character development. They are wasting all that talent (great voices, charismatic actors…)!

7. Angie says:

They should have went with Kurt/Sam. Then Glee wouldn’t be turning into the Darren Cri$$ Show.

• Silvia says:

You make it sound like everybody’s complaining about that.

• Rowan says:

Lol, nope. Chord is a divo who wanted nothing to do with the Kurt storyline from the very beginning (it was very evident with how he answered the gay question at the start of the season). It’s not Darren’s fault that the general audience and the media fell in love with him after 2 minutes of Teenage Dream and with the idea of Klaine right after NBK.

• LOL NO says:

LOL Sorry but the “Chord is a homophobe” argument is old and ridiculous. Chord auditioned for Sam knowing he was auditioning for Kurt’s boyfriend. He wouldn’t go after that part if he was homophobic. He said he wouldn’t “take his work home” but that was in response to an unprofessional reporter asking if he’d go “full on brokeback” in his personal life. WTF was he supposed to say? (And for the record, Darren Criss repeatedly tells anyone who will listen that he is straight! He’s particularly fond of that charming little story about having to come out as a straight man!) Also Chord is good friends with Chris Colfer and takes pictures of himself lying in bed with Chris and lets Chris sit in his lap… But he hates the gays alright!

• S says:

lol, no way.

• Jenna says:

LOL, disgruntled Sam/Kurt shippers, still posting away bashing Darren like they’ve been doing all season long.

Newsflash – you guys never had it right, Sam was never gay, he was never the boyfriend, you were just too delusional to see what everyone else saw.

Also – game over. Check-mate.

• dan says:

I thought it was confirmed near the end of the season that originally Sam was going to be Kurt’s potential new boyfriend, but that plan was changed and Blaine was created. In fact, I thought it was Chord who confirmed that in an interview. Not sure why the plan changed; could’ve just been a chemistry thing.

• Lily says:

Not necessarily… Blaine was supposed to be Kurt’s mentor anyway. So he may be singing in the background, cringing, while Kurt and Sam being romantic. Oh well, but I do like Kurt and Sam’s friendship and I was really looking forward to see how that friendship deals with Samcedes.

8. Emelie says:

I like Glee. I like Darren Criss too.

9. Dick says:

Seriously, who cares about Tina, Blaine or Sam? Next.

• Puckleberry says:

I care about Tina. And I hope we get to see more of her character in Season 3. At least, Jenna Ushkowitz as Tina should be allowed to finish one freaking song! I like her character, even though we know so little about her.

• Dick says:

Well, dont count on it. She has a couple of lines every episode, it hard for someone to grow on you like that. I feel Jenna U was cheated, she is so much more talented than ahem, Dianna A. for example and she gets smushed into the back. More Tina and less Zises, Karofsky or other irrelevant characters is cool with me. But lets not get our hopes up, besides its okay to have a minor character not everyone on Glee needs a big 3 or 4 episode arc.

10. Zach says:

I’m starting to get worried about the inconsistencies in what Ryan and Co. are presenting about Season 3. First there was the whole jumbled story about Chord, then the whole graduation/Twitter debacle. I just don’t know what to believe anymore…

But this I know: I would love more Tina and Mike development, since they hardly had storylines outside of being together in Season 2 (especially Tina, who kept getting song-blocked). Blaine needs more development–but had a sufficient amount of screentime to be developed, unlike the others. His character is just a victim of too many visions of what he should have been during Season 2, much like Sam was.

I look forward to seeing what the new writers bring, and hope they take control of the writers room from the team who brought us Season 2, because I miss Glee as it once was–I truly do.

11. Tee says:

I like Coach Beiste! Hope she’s back, at least for football season on the show.

12. Flyer says:

I have GOT to have a giraffe t-shirt like the one Ausiello is wearing. Does anyone know who sells it?

• Flyer says:

Okay, I tracked down Ausiello’s giraffe t-shirt. For anyone else who might be interested, I found it at Threadless Tees for only $10 + shipping. Thanks for wearing such a cool shirt, Mike!

13. Angie says:

I hope that Mike and/or Tina’s parents aren’t portrayed as stereotypes of Asian parents….

• Kimberly says:

They probably will. I’m guessing Mike wants to dance and his parents want him to be a doctor and go to Harvard. A lot of first generation Asians I know have stereotypical Asian parents.

• Lily says:

I think it would be interesting to see some generation conflicts between traditional Asian parents and their more modern children like Mike Chang… They were even implying that Mike and Tina may have the same parents… so maybe Tina is adopted ?

14. Jamey says:

LOVE Beastie! More so than Sue do hopefully she will be back!

15. Chris says:

I can’t even bring myself to tell you which other McKinley High mainstay’s future may be up in the air. What I will say is that it may involve Jenna Ushkowitz, Harry Shum Jr., Darren Criss or Dot Marie Jones,

Please, Michael, not another blind item! Darren isn’t a McKinley mainstay at all and Dot is relatively new and hardly a mainstay yet.

16. David says:

How come nobody is talking about Brittany? I think Heather Morris’ character is the funniest one on the show. Give me more “Fondue for Two”! She cracks me up.

17. Captain says:

The saddest part is, this 4 minute interview is the most I’ve heard Jenna Ushkowitz speak in 2 seasons. I’ve heard Mike Chang speak more than Tina and he can;t even sing.

18. Selena says:

HAHAHA Darren eating Dot’s heart FTW

19. N says:

And of course Tina won’t do jack spiel, yet Jenna shows no bitterness at all.

20. Lily says:

I don’t like Blaine, but I would really love to see his father and how his father acts towards Kurt… Maybe even an awkward meeting between Blaine’s and Kurt’s father in the school principal’s office after an incident at school…