General Hospital Books James Franco for 'Longterm' Encore

Film vet, performance artist and jack-of-all-trades James Franco is checking back in at ABC’s General Hospital — and this time for seemingly a long stretch.

Two Beloved Vets Return for One Life to Live‘s Broadcast Finale

Franco first dipped his toe into the daytime TV waters in November 2009, with a brief GH arc as Robert “Franco” Frank, a serial killer-slash!-performance artist who wanted mob muscle Jason, bad. Franco has returned intermittently since, but starting Sept. 20 he is on board for a “longterm” story, TV Guide Magazine reports — and just as Jason (played by Steve Burton) is set to wed Sam (Kelly Monaco).

An ABC rep tells TVGM‘s Michael Logan that Franco is poised to uncork his “most twisted plan yet,” one that might rope in Maxie, Carly, and the latter’s baby girl.

All My Children Vet Jumps to The Young and the Restless

Oscar-nommed for last year’s 127 Hours, Franco next can be seen in Rise of the Planet of the Apes (hitting theaters August 5), and then on Broadway this fall in a revival of Tennessee Williams’ Sweet Bird of Youth — making his GH encore and the timing/duration of it all the more impressive.

It’s Official: All My Children and One Life to Live Will Live On, Online – But Will You Watch?

Can James Franco save GH from Hurricane Katie Couric?

Comments (22)

• I am tired of GH pulling going to this tired Franco gimmick yet again. This is one more example of how little ABC cares about their loyal soap audience.

Comment by Erica Sweeney – July 25, 2011 11:23 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I don’t think people who actually watch the show care about Franco. I know I don’t. It’s not exactly making me want to watch. Can we just move away from the mobbed up storylines? Ugh.

Comment by Ann – July 25, 2011 11:32 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Franco or no Franco, GH is a dead horse that glorifies mobsters and shrews. Please put it out of its misery.

Comment by moo – July 25, 2011 11:37 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Franco…again…ABC is not trying to save GH from Katie Couric, they want to use Franco to KILl GH to make room for her. Like the first commentor, UGH!!!

Comment by Deniae – July 25, 2011 11:41 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Why does anyone give this self-obsessed, self-aggrandizing ego-maniacal moron a job?

Comment by dee – July 25, 2011 11:48 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I really would love to hear the explanation/proof of your statement. Because I don’t know how keeping his personal life out of the spotlight, taking on a wide variety of acting roles which earned him a Golden Globe Award and Oscar nomination among other accolades, being a writer & director, earning a MFA from NYU, studying for a PhD in English at Yale and doing incredible amounts of charity work makes someone, as you put it a, “self-obsessed, self-aggrandizing ego-maniacal moron”. Please, help me out on this one.

Comment by Deandra – July 25, 2011 05:51 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • Forget it Deandra, it’s the internet. It’s the internet.

Comment by sadtroll – July 26, 2011 05:20 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I think Franco will better this time now that Guza is FINALLY out of the picture

Comment by mes – July 25, 2011 11:54 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Personally, I love that he’s coming back! I think the Franco storyline has brought out some of Steve Burton’s best work (facing what he’s become). Can’t wait!!!!!

Comment by Lyndsey – July 25, 2011 12:05 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Why are they doing this to us? His past appearances have done zilch to the ratings? And I thought bringing on a new head writer would make these really awful, dated Soprano-wanna-be storylines go away.

Does anyone at ABC watch the drivel they put up on screen?

Comment by Lucy – July 25, 2011 12:05 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I don’t normally watch GH but I make a point of tuning in for Franco. Good news! :D

Comment by Sivat – July 25, 2011 12:12 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I have watched GH for 25 years and love it. I am only 36 years old my self and I love James Franco too! I hope they somehow tie Luke into all of this, and while they’re at it, why not bring back Laura?!

Comment by Laura Formby – July 25, 2011 12:27 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I have never seen a show so actively campaign for cancellation…GH makes Charlie Sheen’s antics seem normal.

Comment by Mia – July 25, 2011 12:28 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • who cares about Franco? He’s painfully past his shelf life. Can’t he get the buzz anymore since he slept through the Oscars in front of the whole world?

Comment by Laura – July 25, 2011 12:40 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Crap. I was hoping Franco would disappear along with Guza.

Comment by Abe Froman – July 25, 2011 01:10 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • HURRAY!Bravo for the “encore.”

Comment by Ms Jordan – July 25, 2011 02:24 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Rather to see RISE OF THE PLANET OF THE APES come August 5th.

Comment by Kevin – July 25, 2011 02:42 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I haven’t liked any of his appearances on the show. Franco is a badly written and conceived character pure and simple. He’s a walking gimmick and it’s obvious. His obsession with Jason and his over the top antics are so…over the top and that’s saying something coming from a soap.

I thought Garin Wolff was gonna save us from this dreck?

Comment by Lena120 – July 25, 2011 05:01 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I’m in! Never watched GH before but if I get to see James Franco every day I’m on board. I was so mad when on missed his previous appearances!

Comment by Deandra – July 25, 2011 05:33 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I’m actually looking forward to this. Guza didn’t know what the hell he was doing when he wrote for Franco. I think Wolf will do a lot better.

Comment by Madison – July 26, 2011 07:34 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • TPTB must be trying to kill of GH now that they’ve invited this clown back. If they (TPTB) really wanted to save the show…bring back BOBBIE, FRISCO, FELICIA, SCORPIO Brothers, Anna, Laura, Scott Baldwin, Dillon, the Quartermaines and the Webers (where did Jeff go?) and heck here’s one how about center the show on THE flipping hospital and kill off the mob crap and make sure Brenda never comes back again. And while they’re at it bring back some of the “dead” folks, Alan, Georgie, Tony Jones, etc. The spy crap was great but the hospital was still the focus of the show.

Comment by Pennagirl – July 26, 2011 08:38 AM PDT  Reply To This Post