Comic-Con

Joel McHale and Gillian Jacobs on Community's 'Scary' New Addition, Possible Booty Calls

You may be Team Jeff/Britta, but we are now 100-percent officially Team Joel/Gillian, coming off the Community twosome’s visit to TVLine’s Comic-Con interview suite.

Community @ Comic-Con: Who’s Shacking Up? Will Jeff Graduate? Will Glee Ever Get Its Due?

In the video below, you’ll get Joel McHale and Gillian Jacobs expounding on why the addition of The Wire‘s Michael Kenneth Williams — the sitcom’s “first real actor,” as they put it — to the Greendale faculty has them both happy and very scared.

Emmy Nominations 2011: Best Comedy Community and 20 Other Big Snubs

The stars also share a status report on Jeff and Britta (aka the couple that knows “how to sex” very well), a sneak peek at the “multiple timelines” episode series boss Dan Harmon has planned, and much more — including, yes, a riff on the Bangles replacing the Bengals as an NFL team.

Press play below, then hit the comments to share your own thoughts. And remember that if you’re not actually at Comic-Con, no worries! Follow our TV-obsessed team — @MichaelAusiello, @MegMasters, and @VladaGelman — for up-to-the-minute scoop on all your favorites.

Loading video...

1. ana muller says:

I am tem Jeff/Britta AND Joel/Gillian those are two of the awesomest people alive right there.

• DR says:

You are team what? When did COMMUNITY become Twidouchelight? Stop watching the show you vamp loving harlot!

• Ana Muller says:

I never get why people feel the need to insult each other on comment sections I was simply responding to Ausiello’s comment “You may be Team Jeff/Britta, but we are now 100-percent officially Team Joel/Gillian” and I will most certainly not stop watching one of my favorite shows because some random internet person told me to.

2. ruby says:

I am a huge Community fan the show is genius, i love Joel Mchale but i am not on team jeff and britta i like them but not together they are so alike

3. Kelly says:

I like Joel/Gillian and love both characters but not as couple. I lean more towards Jeff/Annie.

4. Mikos says:

Those two were fun! Ausiello just letting them go off on whatever.

5. DR says:

Hey, Michael. Forget what site you work on now? EW.com? Why have those pillows on the couch if not to remind you of the site? ;)

• Tom says:

I think that was the point of the exchange although it ended abruptly. Michael was not pleased that they gave EW.com some exclusive clips and was putting them on the spot (in a tongue-in-cheek way of course).

6. nicole says:

that face joel did at the end when he learned that glee kids were coming next was hilarious. he really has some issue with glee. hahahaha!

7. dragonturtle says:

I love them so much, go Jeff/Britta!

8. Community fan says:

Even though I love them BOTH, Joel and Gillian, I enjoy them on Community as “partners in crime” only. Now, Joel/Alison and/or Jeff/Annie do have my heart! Amazing show.

• Sam says:

Annie is 18 and Jeff is early 30s. Its gross.

• Oh Please says:

No, if you paid attention to the show Annie is 20 (going on 21). Why do people insist on believing she’s eternally 18? This isn’t the Simpsons, people actually age on this show. If the age thing is the only argument you have against the pairing it’s pretty weak. Dan knows they have great chemistry and will continue to throw them together. I apologize for the snark, but come on! If you don’t like them, that’s fine, everyone has their preferences. Why can’t you just say you don’t like the pairing and move on? Or better yet, support the pairing you do like (if there is one, I’m not going to automatically assume you prefer Jeff/Britta or ship anyone on the show at all).

I also think it’s offensive to couples with age differences. I see nothing gross about it if they are both adults who care for each other, don’t be so close minded.

• Plus says:

And since Allison is 27 and Joel is 39, it’s only gross in the abstract.

• Omar in Season 3! says:

Maybe my math is off, but isn’t the gap between 27 and 39 exactly the same as the gap between 20 and 32? 12 years. Unless you’re implying consenting adults over 18 is never gross. Or perhaps once the younger partner passes a certain age threshold, it doesn’t matter anymore? Like say 21? I’m confused.

• Amy says:

im gonna have to disagree…its not like he’s married or anything..i hope Jeff and Annie end up together in probably season 6 or 7..she’d be older then xD

9. Teresa says:

“That was Annie Lennox. How dare you.” LOL! So true.

This is a good example of why I can’t ship Jeff/Britta. I adore Joel and Gillian is sweet but this interview was sort of bland. Now get Joel and Alison together for an interview and they just ooze chemistry and energy which translates so well to their on-screen personas. Without it they probably would never have played with a Jeff/Annie ship. Just my opinion YMMV. I’m disappointed that there isn’t going to be a Joel/Alison interview since she’s off filming a movie right now. Hopefully there will be some in the future.

That being said, the whole cast is terrific. I love how they all get along so well and support each others separate endeavors plus they seem to have loads of fun together. I’m very much looking forward to season 3.

• Ana Muller says:

Yeah, not really. I feel like Joel has the same kind of relationship with Gillian and with Allison, him and Allison most certainly do not “ooze” chemistry, after all he is married. And as far as Annie/Jeff goes he is on his 30’s and she is on her early 20’s, they have absolutely nothing in common and if they go through with that storyline it will seem like one of those couples that could ONLY happen on TV, not realistic at all. I like Jeff/Britta together but I am actually of the opinion that Community should not be a show about relationships so I think they should all be single and hook up with other people (or even with each other) eventually, just for the sake of comedy.

• Teresa says:

To clarify about the chemistry; I do not, repeat, do not mean that their chemistry has anything to do with an attraction to each other. I know that Joel is happily married with children and am able distinguish between reality and fiction. There are different kinds of chemistry and Joel and Alison just have a really nice chemistry that shows in their interactions both on and off the show. In my opinion it is something that I find lacking in Joel and Gillian and the Jeff/Britta interactions . Again, it’s only MY opinion.

As for the rest, I guess I’m a shipper at heart and because it is TV and not reality it doesn’t matter if they wouldn’t work (which maybe they could, who knows, life is unpredictable after all) that the only thing that’s important to me is the fact that they have amazing chemistry. I’m not trying to over analyze it, their chemistry is blatant, it works (for me and many others) and it’s fun. I’m enjoying it as I would any other pairing with great chemistry who may or may not “work” if it wasn’t on TV. So I will respectfully agree to disagree (nonetheless we can at least agree that Community is a great show). Thanks for your point of view though. If we all agreed about everything life would be pretty dull. Peace.

• A says:

So I’m not really a rabid Jeff/Annie shipper or anything but I do believe Annie will be turning 22 this season. I don’t think there’s anything gross about a relationship between a 22 year-old and a 35 year-old, but there are certain road blocks specific to May-Decembers. As long as the show is honest about it, Jeff/Annie stuff is fine by me.

• Ana Muller says:

I have seen interviews with both Joel/Gillian and with Joel/Allison and I really don’t see that extra spark you see between Joel and Allison wether it is a romantic one or not (thanks for explaining that it isn’t though). Maybe what causes that impression is the fact that Allison is the obviously funny and bubbly type, she is very outgoing and hardly ever shuts up (I don’t mean that in a bad way at all I love it). But I think Gillian’s personality is incredibly underrated she is actually very quick and witty in a calmer way, I guess I am more drawn to that. However what I do see it’s that they’re all get along very well. I also can’t see how was this a bland interview, it seems to me that this interview was a testimony to the fact that Gillian and Joel work together very well, they seem to have the same sort of humor plus those awkward pauses are what made it hilarious, and it doesn’t seem like any of them where actually uncomfortable.

Sorry for the long comment but I was encouraged by the fact you can actually argument and respect other people’s opinions, even if they differ to yours, without resorting to insult, thanks for that by the way (:

• Ana Muller says:

• Amber says:

You are my TVLine.com hero, Teresa. We can all agree that Community is a great show, yes. I personally do not want to see Jeff with either Britta or Annie, but that has more to do with the fact that I have a not-so-secret crush on Joel McHale and I get real jealous when I see him have make out scenes with other actresses, lol. I am a Joel/Jeff-Amber shipper. I’ll be happy with either the actor or the character. =)

• Riley says:

Joel and Alison have tons more chemistry, I am sorry that makes you so angry.

• Anne says:

I understand why you think the interview was bland. I agree a little bit, just because most interviews of the cast tend to lean on the crazy/funny side… especially when Donald, Danny & Alison are involved. I wish Ausiello talked to them as well.

• Alex says:

I know! Chemistry between actors is such a weird thing. Like I understand it’s supposed to be this manufactured thing that’s part of the job, and yet, there’s no denying some actors just have more natural chemistry together, which seems to extend to their characters and the performances. Alison Brie has natural chemistry with Joel Mchale and Danny Pudi, yet doesn’t with Donald Glover. And look at how that translates to the show…a lot of fans are into a possible Jeff/Annie and Abed/Annie, but are less into Troy/Annie. The viewers are like animals, picking up on the energy that certain actor pairings give off, and traslating it to the characters.

But yeah, be that as it may, ALL the characters on the show are wonderful and I liked what they did with Jeff/Britta this year. Instead of forcing the romance, they changed direction ever so slightly and found a new, truer angle in having them be friends who occasionally sleep together. I love that they often function as the dysfunctional ‘parents’ of the group. To me, this plays off the strong friendship vibe the 2 actors give off. Props to Dan Harmon for not being afraid to alter the story a little in order to adapt to audience interpretation without panicking and completely backing off.

That’s why this is truly one of the smartest shows on television.

• Teresa says:

Thank you! Maybe I could have worded it better but I’m glad you get what I meant. It’s because of that unmanufactured chemistry that I enjoy the Jeff/Annie pairing so much and can’t really get into Jeff/Britta (not really into Abed/Annie but I love Danny and Alison as bffs). I agree that they handled the J/B relationship perfectly. Forcing a romance a la season one wasn’t really working. The fwb storyline worked much better (for me).

10. Melanie says:

I adore Jeff and Britta. And now, more than ever, Joel and Gillian. (:

11. Kyle. S says:

Stupid question. Was he being serious about Johnny Depp?

12. Amber says:

This video won’t play for me. [sad, crying face].

13. WOW says:

Michael Ausiello isn’t good at interviewing.

14. Becca says:

I miss the whole group playing off each other. That and how dare no one mention the Gillian and Alison interviews they are always good. It reminds me that no matter who ships what no one can disagree with those two together as actors. I always find it funny though whenever a pairing is mentioned arguments start in the comment section. O.k. maybenot arguments but why they like someone else. That being said where’s all the Troy and Britta fans? I haven’t heard anything from them. Yes I have my own ships, but it will always be the study group first, then Troy and Abed, and then my shippeer pairing.

15. Amy says:

Very intrigued by the timeline episode. Should be awesome.

16. Karen says:

Too bad Alison wasn’t there.

17. Lindsay says:

High fives to Gillian for the It’s Always Sunny reference! (Now please get the picture of greased-up Danny DeVito and Chevy Chase out of my head…)

18. Amy says:

in real life, Joel has more chemistry with Alison cuz they are both funny and crazy..on the other hand, Gillian is a little serous and lets face it, more mature.. and when actors have a good chemistry off air, it translates itself on air too.. Jeff and Britta’s banter is not fun to watch, its annoying.. Jeff and Annie have an amazing chemistry and its interesting to see how they interact with each other