Comic-Con

Glee Boss: Chris Colfer, Cory Monteith and Lea Michele Are Staying, But Sam Won't Be Back

Reports of a mass exodus at the end of Glee‘s upcoming third season have apparently been greatly exaggerated.

On Sunday morning, Glee co-creator and exec producer Brad Falchuk told the standing room-only crowd attending the Fox megahit’s San Diego Comic-Con panel that Lea Michele, Chris Colfer and Cory Monteith are not being let go from the show upon their characters’ May 2012 “graduation” and may very well be back for Season 4 — if not beyond.

Glee Exclusive: Idina Menzel To Return for Big Season 3 Arc

“Here’s the exact thing: [Rachel, Kurt and Finn] are seniors, so they’re graduating,” Falchuk explained, “but because they’re graduating doesn’t mean they’re leaving the show. If you have Lea Michele under contract, you don’t say, ‘We’re gonna let you go.'” Plus, the EP pointed out, “A number of the original [cast members' characters] are not graduating this year.”

Falchuk reiterated, “It was never our plan or our intention to let them go…. They are not done with the show after this season.”

Glee‘s All-Time Best Performance Finale: ‘Don’t Stop Believing’ Vs. ‘Unpretty/I Feel Pretty’

The other, less positive piece of news coming out of the session — which was moderated by TVLine Editor-in-Chief Michael Ausiello — is that Chord Overstreet will not be back this fall — at all. According to Falchuk, Overstreet was offered a deal to return for 10 episodes with an eye towards becoming a series regular at midseason, but the 22-year-old actor declined.

Falchuck explained that Harry Shum Jr. (aka Mike) and Darren Criss (Blaine) successfully parlayed guest-starring turns into full-time promotions, and hoped to accomplish same for Overstreet. To that end, he said, “We did invite [Chord] back for a portion of the season … to see if being a regular was a possibility. But he declined the offer, which we were really disappointed by.”

Added Falchuk, “We wanted him back because we like Chord personally and had some good stories planned for him and with Mercedes. He decided he would have opportunities elsewhere that he would like to pursue, and we can’t force him to work, so we wished him well.”

Glee‘s Darren Criss Eyed To Succeed Daniel Radcliffe On Broadway – What About Blaine?

Click here for other highlights and sound bites from Glee‘s Comic-Con panel!

1. Jenn says:

Just another reason to NEVER listen to anything that comes out of RM’s mouth. I won’t believe a thing until it appears on screen. And even then, some of the stuff that happens gets ignored by the next episode.

As for Chord: I’m not sure when we’ll really know what went down there. But I have to think that he’s making a big mistake if he legitimately chose not to come back. Chord was pleasant enough on Glee, but he was hardly a breakout star on the show. He really could have benefitted from more guaranteed exposure, and let’s face it, if he stuck around, he probably would have been bumped up to a regular for next season.

He really needs to find new people, or if he’s going against the advice of his people, he needs to start listening to them. This whole thing has been bungled ever since the leak of his contract status. (And I’m almost certain the leak came from Chord’s camp since it doesn’t make sense for FOX, RIB, Darren, or Harry to do it.)

• Angel says:

Chord is managed by WME, so it doesn’t get much better than that. They probably told him to walk because Glee has become a joke. The writers never communicate with each other, contradict each other at every turn, and they care more about making money than telling a creatively satisfying show. Several media outlets walked OUT on the Glee panel. Brad Falchuk threw the Hollywood Reporter under the bus and that is the top trade magazine in the business, so it won’t do Glee any favors. Glee is a sinking ship and Chord decided to jump before it was totally sunk. I hope like hell Chris Colfer doesn’t sign a new contact past season three. (He has said he currently isn’t contracted after that.) This show is a disaster.

• Lady says:

Chord is represented by WME, funny cause I never heard of him before Glee and I prolly won’t hear of him after. Regardless of what Glee has become not all viewers give a deep analysis of the show and simply enjoy it for what it is and being silly. Some people simply just don’t care about the mediocre 2nd season and Glee is actually more popualr in the second season than it was in its first. Its still one of the highest rated shows on TV and has surpassed House and Bones as FOX’s second highest rated show after American Idol. Creatively/Writing wise Glee might be up to par but the second season wasn’t THAT bad and Glee has time to redeem itself. Its increasingly popular and it is a cash cow by all means. Glee is hardly a sinking ship and his agents would be fools to let Chord walk away from a highly popular show considering he is a lesser known actor. I think Glees intention was to let go of the little diva on a hit show. (TV Line’s Blind Item Eh?)

2. angelstorm says:

Damn right you don’t just let Lea Michele go !! Phew ! I thought I was going to have to stop watching for a minute there !!

3. Mars says:

WTF? I hate attention whores and the EPs of Glee are annoying the hell out of me. If a show’s good, there’s no need for publicity stunts like this. Maybe they realized Season 2 had a dramatic decline in quality and decided they need some over-the-top trick. Seriously unnecessary!!! Just get back to good writing and character development of Season 1!

4. XiVa says:

Am I the only one that wants them to move on and do other things?

I still can’t see how they’re going to have Rachel and Kurt in glee after graduation. What are they going to do, make them not good enough to go to college in NY and then make them stay in Lima?

5. Jen says:

Lea is probably a little annoyed right now. I’m sure she has no problem doing Glee, but I’m sure she would much rather be trying to get roles in movies. Glee just gets in the way.

6. Meri says:

I don’t understand why Chord left a successful show…small role or not. He really needed another year to solidify his fanbase before he took off for his idea of “greener pastures.” Ten episodes is ten weeks of additional, weekly exposure in a remarkably fickle industry. I am especially puzzled about this move coming at a time when it appeared Sam was going to get more screen time with Mercedes. Seems like a silly (and, dare I say, arrogant) move to me.

7. annie says:

It’s not believable at all that Rachel and Kurt would stay in Lima after graduation. The producers need to start doing what is best for the show, instead of giving into fans every time.

8. jana says:

Sam and Mercedes would’ve been grate together. And I just don’t get how Darren who appeard in less than half of the season(not that I don’t like him) get a contract as a regular and Sam that was in almost the all season didn’t. He is a grate talent and really cute so it will be a big loss for the show.
    I’m happy for Lea, Cris and Cory coming back for season 4 (if it’s true at all). They are playing like the gratest charecters, but really can’t see how are they going to include them without it looking unreallistic and stupid.

9. Nicole says:

I think Chord is probably leaving since Darren Criss got the story his character was supposed to have. I’d be pissed if an actor got signed, given my story line, and offered a promotion before I was too…

• Meri says:

Pissed is one thing…unemployed is another.

• Dan says:

Sam was orginally suppose to be Kurt’s boyfriend but when producers say the chemistry Chord and Diana had they made Sam straight. Darren/Blaine was only suppose to be a mentor but when the Same thing didn’t work out, Blaine became the boyfriend default. Its not Darren’s fault. Besides Chord is trash and an unknown newbie, didnt even know his real name till the finale.

10. Rich says:

Can Fox hire the team that ran Friday Night Lights to do a weekend retreat with the Glee team to school them on things like character development and exploring ways of keeping a show on course while doing things like graduating seniors from high school in a semi-logical way?

Schuster needs to be the cornerstone of the show (students come and go, teachers are the constant). Underclassmen need to be introduced and experimented with, and the ones that resonate stay.

Tell an actual story and let that drive the show. The music numbers that work are ones that serve the story, stop trying to shoe-horn stuff in.

• Ha says:

Lol, yeah because FNL had SUCH good ratings, and SO many Emmy nominations.

• Maria says:

FNL may have not gotten good ratings or Emmy noms but it did manage to deliver 5 quality years of programming. In Season 2 Glee’s quality has slipped measurably. If Glee can give us consistent story lines, character development, and believable relationships (all strengths of FNL)to go along with the ratings and Emmy noms it can pull itself out of near free-fall. It could also be a landmark show and not just a way to sell Itunes and merchandise which is what it is becoming.

• Ha says:

Most shows tend to drift from what made them a sensation in the begining in their sophmore season. I don’t understand why Glee is getting so much slack, when it happens alot. FNL did ths same its second season with the Tyra/Laundry murder plotline that was pretty bad, critics still call S2 of FNL its worst season but they recovered from that. I think just like FNL and alot of other shows, Glee should have time to redeem itself.

11. denise says:

Yes! I love Kurt. I could do without Blaine. to be honest, his character bores me. I will miss Sam but I hope he finds success outside of Glee. And Ryan Murphy? Complete and utter moron. Someone reel this guy in.

12. lalal says:

As long as Lea Michele is in it, im watching! :D and a spin-off with Rachel and Kurt would be absolutely awesome!! it would be gr8 to see them succeed on Broadway

13. Kayla says:

Jesus H. of course we are going to see these kids again in Season 4 because they are all from Lima. Kurt, Lea and Mercedes are going to come home to visit their families for Christmas or from college on the weekend. Finn and Puck will probably stay in Lima until they figure out what to do with their lives. Or, like a lot of high school graduates never leave their home town. We may not see them as often, but they will show up from time to time.

14. Selena says:

So relieved Chris is staying, he’s my favorite person with the show. I love Darren as well, congratulations to him:) I am obviously a Klaine shipper, major league.

15. hale says:

this is truly great news! i love those three! it would surely be a shame if they would be out of the show. i was wondering if we would see a lot for charice in season 3. i guess i would be tuning into it at online tv tvhod to know the answers!

16. Patsy says:

When the series started i thought Finn, Puck, Quinn (in real life head cheerleader is never a sophomore), Brittney and Santana were all seniors. Come on power like they had would not be given to sophmores. The original 5/ Rachel, Kurt, Mercedes, Tina and Artie were all in the same class. We do know (because it has been mentioned in the show) that Quinn and Finn are 17 we also know that Rachel is 16. I can’t wait to see how they explain the ages and what grade they are in.

17. Beth says:

Glee is basically going down the drain. Ryan Murphy is a douche. He has no idea what he is saying and he is bringing the show down, he is the show’s own worst enemy. SMH I don’t think I can get through season three, obviously they don’t know where the show is going and they are just so confused. I am glad that Lea, Cory, and Chris are staying though because they are very important to the show, I just hope that they clean up their characters though because they are obviously going down the drain.

• jen ;D says:

it probs will with-out Lea michele and Cory Monteith, Dianna Agron and Mark Salling. they are the main people. No show with out them- i think.

18. Rhiannon says:

Well thank goodness for that! I just wouldn’t be able to watch Glee without Kurt in it, he really is inspirational. I miss him being so bitchy though but I can see why he was more subdued, I’ve been bullied most my life and even got death threats and it really can break a person down but I’m glad to see he’s coming back.

Believe it or not I actually like Rachel, she has her good moments. I don’t like Finn though, Cory does a good job of portraying him but I hate his character, he’s so insensitive, he’s done some cruel things to Rachel and Kurt and he always apologises but just turns around and does it again, he’s just as bad as Quinn really.

I am a little dissapointed Sam isn’t coming back since he never got the chance to explore his relationship with Mercedes but if you consider it his character didn’t bring much to the show and I can see Blaine taking his place (if he hasn’t already graduated since I heard he’s a year older then Kurt). Shame though, there was potential.

19. Jen :) says:

I cant believe Chord Overstreet said no to the offer of being on glee for 10 or more episodes at least, and that’s such a bummer for Mercedes who’s just got a boyfriend. And im really sad that all the main characters are leaving eg. Lea, cory… they are like the main people, i love them, I don’t no if there’s much of a show with-out them!

20. Bobert says:

How can you not loveeee Finn????!!

21. Beats By Dre says:

Hmm it seems like your site ate my first comment (it was
    extremely long) so I guess I’ll just sum it up what I had written and say, I’m thoroughly enjoying your
    blog. I as well am an aspiring blog blogger but I’m still new
    to everything. Do you have any points for first-time blog writers?
    I’d really appreciate it.