Comic-Con

Glee Boss: Chris Colfer, Cory Monteith and Lea Michele Are Staying, But Sam Won't Be Back

Reports of a mass exodus at the end of Glee‘s upcoming third season have apparently been greatly exaggerated.

On Sunday morning, Glee co-creator and exec producer Brad Falchuk told the standing room-only crowd attending the Fox megahit’s San Diego Comic-Con panel that Lea Michele, Chris Colfer and Cory Monteith are not being let go from the show upon their characters’ May 2012 “graduation” and may very well be back for Season 4 — if not beyond.

Glee Exclusive: Idina Menzel To Return for Big Season 3 Arc

“Here’s the exact thing: [Rachel, Kurt and Finn] are seniors, so they’re graduating,” Falchuk explained, “but because they’re graduating doesn’t mean they’re leaving the show. If you have Lea Michele under contract, you don’t say, ‘We’re gonna let you go.'” Plus, the EP pointed out, “A number of the original [cast members' characters] are not graduating this year.”

Falchuk reiterated, “It was never our plan or our intention to let them go…. They are not done with the show after this season.”

Glee‘s All-Time Best Performance Finale: ‘Don’t Stop Believing’ Vs. ‘Unpretty/I Feel Pretty’

The other, less positive piece of news coming out of the session — which was moderated by TVLine Editor-in-Chief Michael Ausiello — is that Chord Overstreet will not be back this fall — at all. According to Falchuk, Overstreet was offered a deal to return for 10 episodes with an eye towards becoming a series regular at midseason, but the 22-year-old actor declined.

Falchuck explained that Harry Shum Jr. (aka Mike) and Darren Criss (Blaine) successfully parlayed guest-starring turns into full-time promotions, and hoped to accomplish same for Overstreet. To that end, he said, “We did invite [Chord] back for a portion of the season … to see if being a regular was a possibility. But he declined the offer, which we were really disappointed by.”

Added Falchuk, “We wanted him back because we like Chord personally and had some good stories planned for him and with Mercedes. He decided he would have opportunities elsewhere that he would like to pursue, and we can’t force him to work, so we wished him well.”

Glee‘s Darren Criss Eyed To Succeed Daniel Radcliffe On Broadway – What About Blaine?

Click here for other highlights and sound bites from Glee‘s Comic-Con panel!

1. jennie says:

I’m so happy I’ll get to see more Cory Monteith on my screen but at the same time I want to see him in other projects besides Glee. He should do more movies.

• SpyKi says:

This, but not Lea, not Cory. I can’t stand Finn, I’d be happy if he left.

• SpyKi says:

but Lea*

• gabi says:

Mike O’Malley recently said this about Finn and Cory,
        “For Finn, I think that Cory Monteith plays that character so well. I mean, it’s so hard to do that really, really well and he’s really just so good at it. And he’s seventeen years old, he can’t be judged by the same standards as an adult having the breadth of experience and exposure to what the world is. He’s going through his own emotional maturity, his own sexual maturity, that’s going on. Kurt’s character had very much a crush on him in that first season. They’ve done a great job writing and Cory has done a really good job playing the complexity of that.”

• dee says:

Mike O’Malley is a wise man. Cory Monteith is by far the most underrated actor on this show. He’s so good at playing this slightly dopey, very confused kid that people don’t even realize he’s acting.

• Michael says:

Agreed. Cory doesn’t have the best singing voice on the show, but I think he has some suprisingly good acting chops. It’s very difficult to play the type of character he plays and not turn it into a one dimensional stereotype. I think that he does a particularly great job with facial expressions. LOVE the character and the actor and am glad that he’ll be a part of the show beyond his high school years.

• Jonathan says:

Yes, Cory is underrated as an actor. When he does scenes with Chris Colfer, he really shows his ability. It helps when you are doing scenes along side extremely talented actors like Chris Colfer and Mike O’Malley, but Cory keeps up with them both. It shows he can act. I hope we get loads more scenes between Chris and Cory in the next season. I love watching them together and add the wonderful Mike O’Malley into the mix and you get some real powerhouse scenes.

• pami says:

He got cast in that role because of his acting ability. They had plenty of chances to cast a far better singer or dancer but there was a reason that they went with Cory. I don’t think anyone can play Finn better. (The writers should work harder to write Finn better, but that’s another story.)

• Erin says:

Cory really does deserve more credit. He is a great actor but the material that he gets sometimes doesn’t allow him to truly show how amazing he is.

He really does seem like the sweetest guy in the cast and everyone loves him, so for him to be playing a character that many now dislike so well, he deserves much more credit.

• Laugh says:

So nice to see all the Cory love! I totally agree and he is my favorite character on the show! His funny lines are so under the radar and he’ll never get the “Brittany” attention because his comedy is so subtle. You have to be smarter to appreciate it, whereas Brittany’s one-liners hit you over the head so you can’t miss them. She gets the easy attention, but Cory deserves the attention of the Emmy voters! I don’t think he got enough A-storylines in Season 2 and hopefully the new writers will help the original trio of writers realize that!

• Layla says:

Cory as an actor is underrated and underappreciated because his character is set up as a dumb jock. And Finn is the character that carried so much of the plotline is Season One and Season Two. And also, it doesn’t help that Finn’s characterization has been so inconsistent. A lot of the episodes went this way: Finn screws up, the other characters are all up on Finn, Finn realizes his mistake and tries to do make up for it. Yeah, it was fine the first two times. But it gets boring when the writers do that repeatedly.

He also gets so much flak because he’s the love interest for two of the popular female characters, and the writers create conflict just for the sake of conflict and drama. They should lay off the conflict in the love relationships, let those kids be happy with their significant others for a change, and focus on their dreams for their future.

• Anne says:

I hate when people make excuses for characters because they are young. A bad action is a bad action no matter what age you are. All Finn does is to play Rachel and Quinn. He is not even a good boyfriend to them, he reinforces Rachel and Quinn’s insecurities and both girls are much better characters without his toxic influence. Also, he is not eight anymore, he is almost eighteen and in some places they are consider adults because they are already mature enough to make the right decisions. I like Cory (Even though they should stop trying to pimp him as the leader of the group when vocally he is so mediocre), he is a good actor. But Finn is a terrible characters IMO and I wouldn’t be sad to see him go.

• yay says:

Your Faberry bias is showing.

• hahahaha says:

Like Rachel and Quinn were the perfect girlfriends. They both cheated on him. And that’s canon on the show.

• Maddie says:

He also cheated on Quinn (with Rachel) and with Quinn (when she was with Sam) and was a douche to Rachel the first time they tried dating (mid season 1), but in the show only Quinn and Rachel have been labeled as cheaters.

• Beth says:

I’m Finchel, but Finn really did some bad things too. Yes, Quinn and Rachel cheated on him, but he cheated on Quinn twice with Rachel, one in the Showmance episodo and the other one on The Rhodes Not Taken. After it, he went to Rachel’s house thinking about cheating on Quinn again, but he didn’t, only because Kurt made her dress up like a “hooker” like he said himself. He didn’t seem to remember that, did he?

And really, you can’t compare what Quinn did to him with what Rachel did. Rachel only made out with Puck, and they were kinda on a break.

• helena says:

He kissed Rachel when Rachel said “You can kiss me if you want to” after setting up an elaborate picnic in the auditorium to tempt him away from his girlfriend. Rachel Berry is not all pure full of sunshine and rainbows. All of them are kind of b*tches and d*cks.

• gosh says:

Just stuff your character shipper bias and give the actor some credit that is due. Cory is an extremely talented actor, all the people who’ve worked with him cannot praise him enough. It’s not his fault that the writing for his character is getting crappier and crappier.

• Beth says:

helena, yes, he may have kissed Rachel after that, but HE was the one dating Quinn, so he was the one who had to respect her. And then he USED Rachel to make her come back to glee club. As I said I’m Finchel, but Finn really pissed me off the last episodes with that Quinn thing again, forgiving her, but not forgiving Rachel who only made out with Puck, and forgeting he also cheated in the past.

• Anne says:

To answer the replies of my post: I am not Faberry although I wouldn’t mind them if it means no Finn/Rachel. And I never dismissed Cory as an actor, just as a singer.

• Anne says:

One more thing, Finn cheated countless times. He was the one that broke up with both girls. He was the one who ruined the girl’s prom. He was the one who lied to Rachel, who didn’t defended her when she was bullied by Santana/Other Girls. Cry me a river if he was cheated… They all did cheat (And he helped Quinn to cheat on Sam), but somehow he is the one who plays this card in a pity party. He is the least of the outsiders of that group and often bails on them. I definitely don’t blame Cory for the mess Finn is, I blame the writing that makes impossible for me to root for him.

• Keith says:

Finn asked Rachel to help him practice his singing. Yes Rachel set up the picnic but Finn started that whole deal.

What matters is Finn cheated on Quinn and he then acts like his is above being a cheater too.

Also Finn never once seem to thing about how Rachel might feel that both her boyfriends lied to her their entire relationship. That is bad too. Cheating isn’t the only thing that leaves scars.

I am not giving Rachel or Quinn and out but Finn isn’t a saint.

• Jessica says:

Are you all forgeting that Quinn had sex with Puck when she was dating Finn, which is way worse than kissing. She lied to him for months and, if Rachel had not done the right, would have let him take responsibility for a baby that was not his. If Finn is toxic then Quinn is damn well radioactive.

• zizes says:

lol He’s one of the most popular actors on this show. They’ll not let him leave.

• Q says:

Sorry, even if you can’t stand him, he’ll probably have lots more screentime and storylines than your fave (or your ship).

• D says:

Cory is almost 30 years old, lol. He’s not a teenager.

• huh says:

What does Cory being near 30 have to do with anything. He’s the same age as Mark and Harry and looks younger than them on the show.

• Stephanie says:

He said that he is almost 30 because in the quote it says “He is seventeen and can’t be held to the same standards as an adult.” My thought exactly D.

• Beth says:

Me too. I want to see Lea as Elphaba in the Wicked movie. I think she is so talanted and can go really far as a movie actress.

• Mike says:

Finn is the best one

• Carlo says:

As an actor, Cory needs to move onto better roles. He(Mark more so) are way too unconvincing as minors/teens! Poor character development & average typical TV performances (especially his singing/dancing/smirking) is just stagnant & insipid.

• Carlo says:

Still mediocre & over-rated actor w annoying fanbase of tweeners obsessed w his carefully made up look. Murphy had it correct- graduate the old guy portraying a teen Creepy!

2. xav says:

Backtracking because they don’t want to lose their cash cow?

• Josh says:

Precisely.

• Mike says:

Yup, Lea Michele and Chris Colfer are definitely worth their weight in gold. They make the show what it is and with them both having Emmy nominations and Golden Globe nominations and a Golden Globe win in Chris Colfer’s case, The show’s creators and producers would be fools to let them go. Let’s hope this means some kind of a spin-off for the three of them!

• gil says:

Rachel and Kurt are also very polarizing characters. People I know in real life either love them or hate them.

• Jon says:

But people like that, that is what makes them interesting.

Some of the actors just haven’t made that kind of impact. That is why Lea and Chris get noticed their characters love them or hate them you know them.

• lace says:

I find Rachel to be annoying the majority of the time but don’t hate her. She’s more likable when she’s not mooning over Finn, it’s just too bad that the writers won’t let her move on. As for Kurt I used to really like him but now I can’t stand him. He’s such a diva and the world needs to revolve around him. I would be happy if instead of all 3 staying Cory and Chris were let go, since I hate their characters.

• Kinney says:

Those three are the most popular actors on the show and the ones that get the most media coverage. And the producers know that.

• Puckleberry says:

Of course they are backtracking! Rachel, Kurt and Finn are the heart and soul of Glee. As for Chord Overstreet, if you pay attention to his character Sam in the last part of the season, he seemed totally bored and disconnected (except for “Rumours”). Watch the last episodes and all you can see is tedium.

• Rowan says:

They weren’t going to bring him back at all, then the audience wigged out, sending petitions, emails and phone calls to FOX voicing their massive displeasure. FOX told Ryan to bring Chord back, so they offered the 10+ episodes to save face. Chord and his reps were insulted, as they should be and turned them down. I hope he gets lots of work. He was so often ignored most of the last part of the season.

• Rowan says:

Backtracking because FOX got pissed that Ryan Murphy shot his mouth off without consulting them. He clearly stated that they would not be seen at all in season four. He did not say they were only graduating but staying on the show. He said they were gone from the show after this season. Once again (like the kerfuffle with Kings of Leon and a couple other musicians who said no to having their music licensed to Glee) Ryan Murphy stuck his foot in it.

3. Angel says:

Good news, as long as they stick to it… As long as Kurt is on the show, I’ll watch!

• sam says:

Yes, I love Kurt, but I don’t want him just coming in every now and again. I want to see Kurt all the time. Maybe this means that they’ll do a show along side Glee, similar to the Warblers, but loads better than that. This may mean that Rachael and Kurt will be in a spin-off and it also means then that we’ll see Burt every now and again too. that would be brilliant.

• Owen says:

As long as Rachel is on the show I’ll watch. At least she has some comedic storylines too.

4. Jenny says:

Okay, here is my problem why was this not said way earlier. For months now Ryan has been saying that they will be leaving the show, but now he’s saying that was never the intention. Okay… WTF?!

• Jesse says:

They’re backtracking because the fans are in an uproar over losing those characters, obviously.

• hmmmmmmm says:

Actually I suspect that someone at Fox sat Ryan Murphy down and reminded him who actually pays for the shows and that he can’t commit show-suicide just because he feels being ‘fresh’.

• Michael says:

I love the Ryan brought this show into our living rooms, but I think that he, on the whole, is a GIGANTIC douche.

• Dena says:

I have a feeling that Ryab really is. He throws a hissy fit every time some singer or band won’t let him use their music on his show. And when he attacks them, saying they don’t care about the arts and “helping people fit in”, he just seems like a 5 year old child.

• Rhiannon says:

Hmm I don’t like the way he said it but I get Ryan’s point about the bands not letting them use their music. It’s not so much that they wont let them use the music it’s more why. Alot of these bands are just riding the hate train. I do agree though that he needs a bit of an attitude adjustment.

• Julie says:

I totally agree with you!I don’t know if you’ve seen that (I don’t know what to call it) “Glee Project”, his attitude sucks on that show also.

5. Anne says:

I don’t mind to see them time from time. Except that I hope Finn/Rachel breaks up (After all, it is what happens to people that never had anything in common and that’s going to do different things in life). It will spare me from the pain of rolling eyes really hard.

6. ERFrizki says:

oh come on, Chord Overstreet’s gone for good? he is a great addition to the show.. but ever since he declined.. well..

• Dee says:

They offered Overstreet 10 episodes to “see” if he could become a series regular? Well, then, WHAT WAS HE LAST SEASON?? They had MORE than enough opportunity to decide if they wanted him as a series regular through his work in season two. Clearly they DIDN’T want him as a series regular, and clearly Chord could see right through their ruse. Now suddenly it’s Chord Overstreet’s fault that he’s not returning? Bull.

He did the absolutely right thing in turning down this completely bogus offer.

• ERFrizki says:

you’re right, to me, they offer nothing to overstreet in particular (read: guest stars for the whole season, everyone?), so he made a correct decision I think.

• Daryl says:

uhh Harry Shum Jr was a guest star for the first 2 seasons, as is Lauren Fink. So it’s not like they are being inconsistent in that regard. Not every thing gets handed to you straight away, sometimes you have to suck it see, it’s not like they can’t make him a regular mid season. Either way it’s his decision.

• Alex says:

Harry was given the shaft having to do 2 full seasons before getting a regular contract considering Darren Criss was made a regular before he completed half a season as a guest star. But, Harry does not sing so he is at that disadvantage over others. Chord however does sing well and was a good addition to the show. If Darren Criss was offered a regular contract at half a season, then there is no other way to see it but that the producers did not value Chord as much as Darren Criss or even the women who play Brittany and Santana who were both upgraded to regulars after a season as guest stars. It was a vote of no confidence and if Chord didn’t want to work for ppl who didn’t value him, then I don’t blame him for looking for someplace where he would feel more appreciated. He is entitled to be ambitious for his future.

• KrissyK says:

Darren Criss is MUCH hotter than Harry. And a better singer. And a better actor!
            Plus his story line is so much better than Harry’s because the girl Harry is with is dull.

I will miss trouty-mouth only because he was cute with Mercedes.

• Emme says:

Heather and Naya were also guest stars in Season 1 that were picked up as regulars in Season 2. And it was already pointed out that Harry was a guest star for two seasons before becoming a regular. So, it’s not like Chord is the only one to start as a guest star before getting picked up to stay on as a regular. I don’t think there is anything Bogus at all about the offer since it follows what they’ve done with other actors/characters.

• E says:

Chord was a guest star last season. So were lots of the other actors, Ashlee Fink, Max Adler, Dot-Marie Jones. They were happy to come back as guest stars this season. Harry was a guest star for two years before being promoted to regular. What makes Chord so special that he can’t put in his dues like Harry, & Max & Ashley & Dot-Marie? Heck, Dot-Marie got an Emmy nomination & still didn’t get promoted. And you think Chord’s the one getting screwed?

• Liv says:

Harry’s first season, I don’t think he had a line, he was a glorified back up dancer. I hardly think that is the same thing as Chord’s situation. Overstreet was given a pretty heavy story line and he dealt with it wonderfully. His character really went through a whole range of emotions while the other characters that were guests and became regulars didn’t have as intense stories (and still didn’t once they became series regulars). He made the right choice. Hopefully he meets success.

• fran says:

Darren got picked up with less episodes that Chord.

Maybe that is what is upsetting to Chord.

• Ryan says:

What people need to realize is Chord/Sam was not a fan favorite, and he hardly sold well. It would have been nice of him to return because he was convient to the Mercedes storyline, but other than that he served no purpose. He had one episode where we learned Sam’s background and he still couldn’t really grow on people. I didn’t know Chord Overstreet before Glee, and I doubt I’ll remember him after.

7. sarah says:

I’m a little disturbed that they’re getting rid of Sam just as soon as Mercedes is getting an attractive love interest.

• Jenna says:

Did you read the article? They wanted him back but he CHOSE not to return. Not a lot they could do about it.

• dee says:

He CHOSE not to return because he could see right through their stupid, bogus offer. Why give them 10 episodes of your life when you know going in that they’ll under use you in those 10 episodes, and then let you go anyway?

• Jenna says:

Because it’s a job and a job is better than no job. Sometimes you have to pay your dues.

• ty says:

Hopefully, he had some other offers or other interest somewhere. Otherwise, Jenna, I agree why would you not work for the 10 episodes to help build the resume.

• Emme says:

Did you also consider it a stupid/bogus offer for Naya, Heather, Harry, Darren, etc. that all started the show as guest stars to later be offered a role as a regular. Harry gave a lot more than 10 episodes as did Naya and Heather.

• Andy says:

Did you know Harry’s characters name prior to the second season? Did you ever hear him speak a line of dialogue?

8. monii says:

I truly hope so even though if these 3 are gone I wont be watching it any more…it really isnt glee without them and the biiig mistake they are doing here imho is the same one they did with one tree hill! Letting go the best characters from a show always brings it down!! Anyway I will surely enjoy season, hopefully they will make it the best for this 3 great characters!!

9. Jenny says:

Okay so seriously talk some backtracking here. I come to realize not to believe anything the writers of Glee say. Which is actually probably a good thing because at least it leaves somethings a surprise.

• Dee says:

Ryan Murphy says they’re gone, Brad Falchuk, in full damage-control-mode, says they are not.

Who is in charge of this show, anyway?

• Anya says:

Seriously, ok first of all, a while back, Ryan Murphy says that most of the character will be graduated off the show at the end of season 3. Then, a few months later, he back tracks and says that “no one ever said we would be graduating most of the cast members off at the end of season 3.” and continued to assure us that just a couple of the cast would be graduated off. Then he said a few months later that “it’s always been the plan to graduate most of the cast off at the end of season 3.” and that Lea, Cory, and Chris would graduate and would not be featured on the show much anymore if at all because that would be weird to him. Now Brad is saying this. Dude. What?

10. Natalie says:

I’m really curious as to how they’ll explain Sam’s sudden departure.

• Carrie says:

I would think that they would say that his dad got another job somewhere else, since they were homeless. Probably the easiest way to explain things.

• Emme says:

Exactly – his family moved to Lima for a job, I could easily see them moving back “home” or in with family. I think his departure will actually be one of the easiest to explain based on his storyline and how he arrived at McKinley.

• Dwigt says:

“He had to go. His planet needed him.”

Note: Sam died on his way back to his home planet.

11. cynical says:

I’ll never believe anything the Glee writers say. I’ll believe it when I see it on the episode.

12. Heva says:

Good! Glee wouldn’t be Glee without Chris Colfer and Lea Michele. They are the best ones in it. And I also love the Hudmel brothers and Burt and Carole. Ryan seems to be implying that Chris, Lea and Cory are contracted through their characters and if so that doesn’t mean that they can only come into the show by returning to McKinley High on visits, so I hope this means a spin-off show with Kurt, Rachael and Finn though, because just seeing Kurt and Rachael every now and again would suck. Glee needs them!

13. Rachel says:

Don’t quite understand what Chord Overstreet has planned that’s bigger than Glee, but…he will be missed. I really liked Sam and I was looking forward to the storyline with him and Mercedes.

14. Angel says:

Well, I’m disappointed, but I don’t really blame Chord for leaving. They took away his original story and gave it to Darren Criss and he pretty much got the shaft after that.

15. Dixie says:

Nobody is saying what will happen to Quinn, Santana, Mercedes, Brittany, Tina, Artie, and Puck.
    All Brad talks about is Rachel and Kurt. I really like the character of Rachel and Lea is incredible – same with Chris, but some of us are bigger fans of characters like Santana and Brittany – what’s happening with them???
    I think they should do a spin off aimed more at teens to adults, which focuses on Rachel, Kurt, Santana, Brittany, Quinn, Artie, Finn and Puck all going to NY. You could have Rachel and Kurt pursuing their Broadway dreams, Santana and Brittany (now a couple) working as dancers by night and auditioning by day, Quinn and Artie at uni, and then Finn and Puck trying to make it into professional football teams. You see them all in their pairings doing their own things, but they all meet up and stay in touch. If it’s made for an older audience, more storylines could be explored and it could be taken so much further. Putting Brittany and Santana together would be one thing that they could go much further into if the show wasn’t being made for a family audience which i’d really like to see. I know he’s saying they won’t all be axed, but I think it’ll just end up being guest spots here and there through a season to try to get the fans to keep watching :/ Seems such a waste of such loved characters and couples.

• Anne says:

It’s highly unrealistic (In a show that it is already ridiculous) to move them all to one place. In fact, it could only work if most of them get stuck in Lima, considering how dumb some of them are they will probably go to a Community college. Plus, Finn and Puck are not painted as great players so I doubt they would get a scolarship. Stop pushing this horrible spin off.

• Mike says:

That spinoff seems great and sure Finn and Puck could get football scholarships, I don’t care if its not realistic its TV.

16. Dan says:

Please, just let go of Ryan Murphy, he’s doing more harm than good to the show. He should’ve done what J.J. Abrams does: help the show find its pacing and beginning, and then trust others with it. Murphy is blinded by money and fame, so he stuck around, and led to a horrible season 2. Now it seems even the other EP isn’t too fond of Murphy’s contribution..

• aby says:

While I tend to agree with you that Ryan Murphy is doing more harm then good and Glee would be better off in hands capable of actually growing the characters and remembering what was said from one episode to the next your point about him being blinded by money and fame is rather silly. If your are in show business, aren’t you by definition seeking fame and money? Honestly is JJ Abrams some sort of saint who turns his paycheck over to charity? Do most show runners only want to produce artistic shows with no desire to earn the big bucks that a comercial hit brings in? Of course he is blinded by money and fame. That is the goal, well that and keeping your fame and making more money. Hollywood is a business, they aren’t in out of the kindness of their hearts or the need to be artistic. They’d all be on the stage and not the screen if that were the case.

• Anonymous says:

JJ Abrahams usually doesn’t constantly tweak his shows in the midst of popularity.

Yes people are in this industry for $, but there are some people who actually don’t change their show’s format about 5000 times a season(cough Modern Family cough cough).

• Asha says:

Are you saying that Modern Family never changes their format? I agree but it’s a detriment. Good tv is a balance between familiarity and progress (change). Modern Family pretty much tells the same story every single week. Snoozer.

17. Victoria says:

I don’t like Kurt, Rachel or Finn and I’d be happy to see them go. They can take Blaine with them too. I just want them to focus on the quality of their show instead of making money. Season 2 was a big let down and if it wasn’t for Santana, Brittany and Sue I wouldn’t be watching anymore. I hope to see Jenna get a storyline this season

18. Angel says:

Yikes, the more they talk, the worse this season sounds… And Brad is wrong, Glee has lost what made it special. Now they write for popularity. The characters are secondary to making money.

19. scooterbeanbag says:

Sam was such a non-entity character anyway, so his absence won’t drastically alter the canvas anyway. He never should have been brought on in the first place.

20. Monica says:

Awww Chord out. How can he do tht to Mark. They had such a great bromance going on. Well Im sure he has his reasons. Good luck.

21. Sivat says:

YAY Sam’s gone! I couldn’t stand him. :D

22. Emma says:

YAY for Lea, Chris and Cory stating on :) NAY for chord leaving :( :(

23. Michel says:

Still no word on Lauren Zizes/Ashley FInk. Will she be back in season 3?? I hope so, love that woman!!!

24. Dan says:

I wonder if Brad Falchuk gets tired of having to clean up Ryan Murphy’s verbal diarrhea. And seriously, why should Chord have to work half the year with no assurance of a job at the end of it, when he can accept other opportunities now? Should have put a ring on it, Glee.

• Marla says:

this. I was at the panel and it was VERY apparent that poor Brad was the designated clean-up boy once again. He gave a half-hearted, “I don’t know where that reporter got that idea” thing and then gave up on that almost immediately because it sounded lame even to him. Murphy had a great idea for Glee, but his massive ego has now made him the show’s own worst enemy. It was clear from the floudering answers from the panel that they have no idea what they’re doing at this point and have no real clear plan for next season. The only good news to come out of it was that they’re going to back away from all of the stunt casting episodes (while still insisting that they never did that! LOL)

The fact that none of the major cast members could be bothered to show up for this thing pretty much tells me all I need to know about next season.

25. ggny says:

Can i get a duh? We all knew there was no way the 3 biggest character on Glee were leaving the show

• Jane Humen says:

Right?! Hahaha. They’re not only big characters, but big moneymakers. There’s no way they’d be let go just yet – and even if monetary gain is the only reason for keeping them on, I’m happy they’ll stay.

I am, however, displeased with the lack of professionalism on Ryan’s part.

26. Kirstin says:

Dunno who Chord’s management team is but they obviously suck. He got the same options several others had. Not that that fact will resonate much with the fangirls. /overreaction

27. Patrick says:

The fact that Samcedes is done with…ruined my day…

28. Lola says:

All I have to say is why didn’t Murphy clear all of this up from the beginning when all this news broke and you got fans upset and other entertainment news posting stuff about how all three of them was fired! OMG, just so much drama for no reason. I really do love Glee, but this season kinda lacked the charm of the first season that really made me fall in love with Glee.

• Jake says:

Fanned & Fav’d — jeez, what a lot of crap they put us thru! Are the producers 12?! Chord did tweet a while ago about his disappointment & implied he was leaving the show — such a silly mess.
      Clean it up, re-focus on the original storylines, be a professional and get back to work, fer crissakes…

29. corey says:

Wonder if chord overstreet wad the blind item about a.diva on a hit show.

30. Puckleberry says:

“Reports of a mass exodus at the end of Glee‘s upcoming third season have apparently been greatly exaggerated…” And what was the source of these reports? Ryan Murphy himself!
    I’ve said it before, and I’ll say it again, I will not believe a word they said regarding Glee, its cast, the plots, the plans…We’ll have to wait and see what’s in store for Season 3!
    Argh! I’m going crazy trying to keep up!

31. Ashley says:

Sam :'(
    He has such an amazing voice. I wish we could’ve heard him perform more before he left. There wads lot of potentially great subplots with him. But who knows? If things don’t pan out for Chord, we might see Sam again! :D Not that I want Chord himself to crash and burn…

32. kate says:

booooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo.
    I understand your reasons for leaving, Chord Overstreet, I really do. the Glee producers obviously treated you like crap [more or less] in how they handled season regulars/contract negotiations/whatever you call it for next season. but I’m still incredibly, incredibly sad to see you go. Sam was quite possibly my favorite character on the show.

plus, you’re just so pretty. I’ll miss seeing your lovely little face every week.

33. eas123 says:

To bad Chord isn’t coming I would to have him over Darren Criss

34. Rory says:

I’m so glad there’re staying because that would be the most stupid decision ever to let the big 3 stars go especially Lea and Chris. I’m sad Chord Overstreet isn’t coming back but he has got to be a colossal moron for giving up that gig. I mean he was nothing before Glee and will continue to be a nothing after. He needs to fire is manager and agent stat!

35. rebelliousrose says:

Has no one here ever heard of salary negotiations? Of COURSE they released that the three most popular actors were leaving; they cost more than the other kids, and many shows that are succesful renegotiate contracts for their stars; anyone remember “Friends”? I’m pretty sure that whole press release was Murphy duking it out with Michele, Colfer and Monteith’s agents.

36. Spencer says:

Well, Ryan Murphy is just EXCELENT at playing the ‘Let’s say we’re going to do something and then announce we’re doing the exact opposite’ Game!!! He needs to make a decision and leave it at that, not change his mind just because fans don’t like it. He needs to do what is right for the show and the characters, not his own career.

37. Kevin says:

stupid move by Chord, Sam (apart from Kurt) was the best male character. Finn is so stupid, i’d be fine if he left.

38. jay says:

love the show but hard to buy the fact the students and teachers are almost the same age!

39. LA Person of Interest says:

Folks – this is all about the money.

The reason Ryan Murphy stated that they weren’t coming back – is to get them to agree to the contract in place. They (Lea, Cory, Chris) were all pushing for more bucks and Ryan bluffed them – and they fell back in line.

Unfortunately for Chord, he *most* likely wanted more money and wanted the same amount as the regular stars – not a guest star amount (which is a lot less per episode). And he may finally buckle and say – ok, i’m good with the guest appearances of 10 – lots of time for that to happen, even after production starts.

Everything here in Hollywood is about the might buck.

40. Rocky says:

No matter who stays and who goes, let’s talk about how badly Glee bosses handled all of this. The day before Chris was nominated for an Emmy, he finds out he will not be returning for the fourth season. Then the next day, instead of having journalists ask him about his nomination, he spends the entire day answering questions about why he found the news out through twitter. It ruined his day. Now producers are obviously backtracking. Cory is pissed and Lea is plotting an exit. And Chord decided not to even play the game anymore. Not a way to keep a popular show on the air.

• Silia says:

It was really thoughtless of them to announce that they would not be returning for the 4th season when the people who’ve been nominated for an emmy was the next day. It’s a shame, what’s happening to Glee, because of the bosses. It’s not the actor’s fault. They don’t have a clue what’s going on, I bet. And I actually think Chord made the right decision. So, yeah, I completely agree with everything you said, Rocky.

41. Poppy says:

So, basically Glee producers saw what an uproar it was to lose the three and how much money they were losing. Interesting. Ryan Murphy said the ones graduating were (Rachel, Finn, Kurt, Quinn and Puck), seems resonable I have a hard time believing Quinn and Puck were juniors anyway. RM was also very adament about his characters graduating and NOT returning to Mckinnley, (as cameos, or teachers). If they are not being let go of the show, what happens? The show is only 45 minutes, they don’t have enough time to follow Mckinnley students and follow the ones that have graduated. They make no sense, I am happy to know they wont be gone.

Still confused, tho. O_o

42. RicardoCabeza says:

The high pitched hue and cry from the gays and fat chicks that watch this drivel was heard by this rotten TV shows creators. Congrats Glee maniacs you “earned” this you sad pathetic shut ins.

43. Erik says:

I was hoping for some Max/Karofsky news.

44. Erika says:

Damn, I was really looking forward to a Mercedes/Sam storyline in the fall. So they’ll possibly just play it as a summer fling?

45. Mikey M says:

Now if they could just write characters that make sense and some scripts that are coherent. Sue was written as one dimensional and psycho. How they are going to undo this is beyond me.
    Letting Chord go and then announcing that he might be back for a hand full of episodes after the backlash only to find out Chord didn’t wanted to be treated like that, makes Murphy look like a douche.
    The show is falling a part.

46. Lily says:

I was impressed with Chord’s acting when they finally gave him something to do toward the end of Season 2. But it sounds about right that they are keeping the guy who can’t act at all, a/k/a Darren Criss, instead.

I believe the writers have lost sight of what their show was supposedly about. All this recent bullcrap has really turned me off. I think I’m done with this show.

47. Michelle says:

So basically they have no idea what they’re doing.

Nice to see you again, square one.

48. Angie says:

I’m gonna guess that Lea, Cory and Chris will be on season 4 in more of a guest appearance perspective. After all, assuming they go to college, they can come home for the holidays and college is over in May – so, they could make it home to support New Directions during Nationals.

49. John Hooper says:

Who’s the mastermind behind these tubbychasing storylines? No wonder Chord left. If Mark (Puck) had any self respect he’d be out the door as well.