Comic-Con

Castle @ Comic-Con: Season 4 Sneak Peek, Call for Ghostbusters, 'Who's the Daddy?' Mystery

Castle fans on hand for the ABC hit’s San Diego Comic-Con panel were treated to — wait for it — the first scene from the Season 4 premiere (airing Sept. 19)! It featured a bleeding Beckett being wheeled into a hospital, clinging to life thanks to the help of her best friend, Lanie.

“I’m very overwhelmed by looking at that scene,” Tamala Jones, who plays Lanie, told the Comic-Con crowd after the screening. “It was very emotional the whole day because my friend’s dying and I’m trying to help save her. I had to stay in the mindset of death all day long.” That said, she promises that the outcome “is really going to be more epic than the season finale” itself. OK, we are so there.

Comic-Con Video: Nathan Fillion Previews the ‘Repercussions’ of Castle‘s Love Confession, and the Season Premiere’s Big Fight

Other snippets of scoop from the panel discussion, which also includes on its dais cast members Nathan Fillion, Jon Huertas (aka Esposito), Seamus Dever (Ryan) and Molly Quinn (Alexis):

Who You Gonna Call? | A big, awesome, geektastic Halloween episode of Castle in the works, and it’s going to be Ghostbusters-themed! “It’ll be really cool,” Quinn — who dressed for the day as Firefly‘s Mal! — previewed. “The only thing I can imagine for this episode is that it’s gotta have an elusive killer, someone that vanishes and then reappears.”

Castle Scoop: 24 Baddie Is the New Boss

Look, Up in the Sky…. | “There’s going to be an episode coming up with a bit of a superhero theme,” Fillion revealed. Scheduled for Episode 2 of the fourth season, it involves a masked vigilante and a comic-book store crime. (Pretty cool news to come out at Comic-Con, of all places.)

Best of the Best (Men) | Dever says that hopefully Kevin and Jenny “will be heading toward some matrimony.” As such, expect lots of wedding planning, a bachelor party, and “fighting for the best man spot” between Castle and Esposito.

Big Girl’s Don’t Cry | What’s in store for young yet maturing Alexis in Season 4? “She’s going to be voicing a lot of her opinions,” Quinn said. “Now that her dad is actually enjoying chasing down killers… I don’t know if Alexis is too happy about that.” The starlet also teased that Castle’s little girl will be applying to Stanford and juggling a serious relationship with a new beau.

Will a Firefly Reunion Fly? | “I’m always bucking for it,” Fillion said when asked if any of his former sci-fi fam will ever appear on Castle. “I’m always trying. But I want something juicy and amazing for them.” Fillion did wrap up his sentiment by saying, “Soon. Soon,” so take that for what’s it’s worth.

Ask Ausiello: Spoilers on Castle‘s Twisty Premiere, and More

X Marks the Spot | Castle superfans may want to go back and watch last season’s X-Files-themed ep, as Fillion noted there is “a big or small ‘X’ in every scene “

Book Report! | Get those Kindles ready: Heat Rises aka the next Nikki Heat novel is coming out this October.

Heavenly Fathers | With rumors buzzing that we’re finally meet Castle’s long-lost pop this season, the cast shared their perfect picks. Huertas suggested White Shadow‘s Ken Howard and Jones went with Christopher Walken, while Quinn said, “Susan Sullivan recently said to me, ‘What if I turned out to be Castle’s dad?”

TAGS: , ,
GET MORE: Comic-Con, Fall TV Preview, News, Previews, Scoop

1. nitemar says:

I was hoping for Stana to show up; guess she still on vacations somewhere. Who knew two of my all time favorite shows mentioned here, Catle and The X-files! X marks the spot?? :)

• draco inferno says:

Well, Stana isn’t on vacation since she was at the Batman Panel Friday. She hasn’t given a reason why she was unable to attend.

• Nev827 says:

I’m willing to bet Stana couldn’t attend because of a scheduling conflict or because the show runners told her not to, since we’re all supposed to be worried about whether or not her character will live.

• thumper says:

stana was at comic-con, but could only attend on friday on the batman: arkham city panel… nonetheless, i am as disappointed as you are. some argue it would have been awkward for her to be there since her character was in near-death at the end of last season?

• Alicia says:

Yeah, I think they’re trying to keep the tension/suspense up by leaving her out of the promotional appearances. Probably a good idea, makes people really anticipate her onscreen return.
        Funny thing is, even though the show is called “Castle” I’m more interested in the Beckett character and it seems more storylines actually revolve around her. Stana has achieved a LOT of job security if I do say so myself. :)

• Fae says:

Frankly, to me it looks like “Castle” doesn’t seem to be overly high on her list of preferences. She hardly ever posts or twitters about it, it’s all about her movie projects and photo shoots. I guess “Castle” merely provide for bread and butter while she pursues artsier projects which are closer to her heart.
        Which is SO sad because she is AMAZING as Beckett – well, she’s amazing at everything she does.

• Nat says:

I don’t think its that exactly, because the show gets more than enough publicity from Nathan and the team, with the Nikki Heat books, the Richard Castle website, the Derek Storm stuff etc too much publicity could be a bad thing.

• Noelle says:

Also, a lot of the promotion of Castle aside from Nathan’s interviews has been in the mindset of making Richard Castle appear real. If they’re going for “these are real people” then having Beckett do promotions wouldn’t make sense.

Castle’s the peacock, Beckett’s a cop. Makes sense that her promotional stuff would be limited if that’s the feel they’re going for.

2. Sophie says:

oh my god i cant wait!!! sadly i wasn’t at comic-con so i didn’t get to see the first scene, really disappointed i missed it! i bet it will b a great season as usual!!!!

3. Nicole says:

OMG, I can’t wait for video from the panel to be on YouTube. But more importantly, I can’t wait for season 4 to start!

4. Zala says:

Yep, I just died.

5. Janine says:

The Sneak Peek was awesome! Tamala Jones was awesome! But a little too short…
    Can’t wait for Season 4 to start!

6. K says:

After I watched the sneak peek I nearly died. Cannot wait for Season 4. Come on September 19th

7. Nev827 says:

Ken Howard as Castle’s father? Very intriguing. And I SO hope he gets someone from Firefly to guest. That would be brilliant…and totally shiny!

• nakedheat2356 says:

I’m thinking Christopher Plummer as Castle’s dad???!!

Awesome actor.

• Lady C says:

I think that Mr. Plummer might be a little to old (he’s 82 now) to play Rick’s dad. I picture his dad having the same general physical characteristics, tall, broad shouldered…John O’Hurley comes to mind. He’s a bit of a “silver fox” and I could imagine Martha and him together….

• BubbaJ says:

If Howard was Castles father that means that Jordan adn Castle are brother and sister…hmmm.

8. Looking forward to the season. Not big on gimmicks, but anytime “Ghostbusters” can be feted, I’m going to watch. And I trust the team behind Castle to do it right.

9. MPaz says:

I’m so excited, I would like have been at the panel, too bad I couldn’t. There were so many things revealed! I just died.
    I’m kinda embarrassed, but I couldn’t understand what Molly said in the end:
    “Susan Sullivan recently said to me, ‘What if I turned out to be Castle’s dad?”
    What does it mean?

• l says:

I think it’s a cute joke. you know, like going around the whole ep trying to ”catch” the mysterious dad, which turns out it’s just a joke from the mum. it’s cute.

• Kim says:

Isn’t that a “South Park” reference? When Cartman was trying to find out who his dad was, turned out to be his mom was his dad? How do I know that? Stupid wine… making me remember stuff.

What if Shepard/Ron Glass was Castle’s dad? Genetics work in funny ways…

10. l says:

Christopher Walken! hands down! (if not, I’m rooted for Micheal Caine.

11. sarah says:

man, that hallway in the preview was loooong.

12. CatInthehat says:

Ted Danson would be a good pick I think. Ages are right (24 year diff) and both have such a dry sense of humor.

13. Cynthia says:

It might be fun to see Susan Sullivan reunite with Peter Strauss from Rich Man, Poor Man. He’s old enough to be Castle’s dad and still plenty charming and handsome to boot!

14. Kath says:

I can’t wait for the new season.

I vote for Jewel Staite as a recurring annoying policewoman.

15. TJCrinc says:

maybe they can make an episode for Morena Baccarin (Inara Serra of Firefly) where she is the suspect and heavily flirts with castle but never does anything, just like on firefly.