Comic-Con

True Blood's Rutina Wesley on Lesbian Tara: 'Am I Duct-Taped to a Toilet? No? OK, Cool.'

Get More: Comic-Con, Interviews, Video

Some actors might raise an eyebrow if their long-running heterosexual character suddenly took a turn for the gay, but not Rutina Wesley. When she discovered the writers’ plan to have her Tara kick off Season 4 of True Blood as a lesbian cage-fighter, the first question she asked was “Is she gonna be happy?”

Wesley sat down with TVLine’s Michael Ausiello at our Comic-Con interview suite to discuss how she found out about Tara’s shift in sexuality, what she found difficult about Season 3′s toilet scene, and whether her character is “just going through a phase.”

True Blood Boss On Bill-Sookie-Eric Threesome Buzz, Jessica’s New Crush and Major Deaths!

Press play below, then hit the comments to share your own thoughts. And remember that if you’re not actually at Comic-Con, no worries! Follow our TV-obsessed team — @MichaelAusiello, @MegMasters, and @VladaGelman — for up-to-the-minute scoop on all your favorites.

Loading video...

Comments (16)

• I love her attitude towards this. Rutina is playing Tara amazingly this season. Instead of being plagued by emotional and literal demons she’s just glowing and I love that. Tara’s my favourite.

Comment by xav – July 23, 2011 09:13 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • she’s one of my favorites also. such a wonderful actress. you can throw the kitchen sink at her and she comes up a winner!

Comment by mbb – July 23, 2011 02:44 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I normally can’t stand Tara, but she has been ok this season. So keep her Gay. LOL.

Comment by lorna – July 23, 2011 03:03 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • She makes a good point. I bet Rutina is a strong independant woman so she had issue with that scene as she felt it went against what she stood for. She seems real.

Comment by Jared – July 23, 2011 09:19 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I think Tara wants some gentle loving and the fact that it came from a non-threatening woman was ok with her. Love Rutina – she’s a beautiful woman.

Comment by Fudgefase – July 23, 2011 09:29 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I find it amusing that Tara’s currently “happy and healthy” relationship includes a day job where she and her girlfriend beat the tar out of each other in a cage. I guess normal is relative…

Comment by Matt – July 23, 2011 10:36 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • lmao it’s not a day job, it’s a night job :P

Comment by indy – July 23, 2011 01:45 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I like the character but I can’t deal with that atrocious attempt at a Southern accent! It’s the worst I’ve heard since Nicholas Cage in Con Air!

Comment by Lyndsey – July 23, 2011 12:07 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I live in Texas, and I’ve never even noticed it being that bad. I certainly don’t talk like that (I grew up in CA), but I’ve heard lots of people who do talk that way.

Comment by Amber – July 23, 2011 02:00 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • Yeah, I am from the south as well, and I have heard tons of people that talk like Tara. It’s not bad at all.

Comment by ErixN – July 23, 2011 03:45 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Her’s is pretty spot on for a southern black gal honestly.

Although I’m perplexed why everyone says they like her better this season. I find her really boring; she has had no storyline except for 5 mins in the first episode. She’s just tagging along with Laffy and Jesus.

Comment by Danielle H. – July 23, 2011 08:01 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Rutina is looking really beautiful. I was so happy when she cut off those awful braids last year. This season I’m not really feeling the lesbian storyline as Tara was so into guys only, it was kind of jarring transition. I know it’s a year later in the storyline, but still I’m just not adjusting. I still love me some TB though!

Comment by Poppy – July 23, 2011 01:26 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • “moral” lesson of TB: you fall in love with Sam, you end up either dead or of opposite sexual orientation :P

Comment by indy – July 23, 2011 01:48 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Come on guys, I know you can write better articles than this. “Suddenly took a turn for the gay”? Really?

Or maybe she’s *gasp* bisexual, and has been all along.

Comment by derp – July 24, 2011 10:22 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Seconding this!

Comment by pricklet – August 1, 2011 03:05 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • It a ok story line,but i will be glad when it is over. Love Tara

Comment by Rutha – August 6, 2011 11:12 AM PDT  Reply To This Post