True Blood's Rutina Wesley on Lesbian Tara: 'Am I Duct-Taped to a Toilet? No? OK, Cool.'

Some actors might raise an eyebrow if their long-running heterosexual character suddenly took a turn for the gay, but not Rutina Wesley. When she discovered the writers’ plan to have her Tara kick off Season 4 of True Blood as a lesbian cage-fighter, the first question she asked was “Is she gonna be happy?”

Wesley sat down with TVLine’s Michael Ausiello at our Comic-Con interview suite to discuss how she found out about Tara’s shift in sexuality, what she found difficult about Season 3′s toilet scene, and whether her character is “just going through a phase.”

True Blood Boss On Bill-Sookie-Eric Threesome Buzz, Jessica’s New Crush and Major Deaths!

Press play below, then hit the comments to share your own thoughts. And remember that if you’re not actually at Comic-Con, no worries! Follow our TV-obsessed team — @MichaelAusiello, @MegMasters, and @VladaGelman — for up-to-the-minute scoop on all your favorites.

Loading video...
TAGS: , , , ,
GET MORE: Comic-Con, Interviews, Video

1. xav says:

I love her attitude towards this. Rutina is playing Tara amazingly this season. Instead of being plagued by emotional and literal demons she’s just glowing and I love that. Tara’s my favourite.

2. Jared says:

She makes a good point. I bet Rutina is a strong independant woman so she had issue with that scene as she felt it went against what she stood for. She seems real.

3. Fudgefase says:

I think Tara wants some gentle loving and the fact that it came from a non-threatening woman was ok with her. Love Rutina – she’s a beautiful woman.

4. Matt says:

I find it amusing that Tara’s currently “happy and healthy” relationship includes a day job where she and her girlfriend beat the tar out of each other in a cage. I guess normal is relative…

5. Lyndsey says:

I like the character but I can’t deal with that atrocious attempt at a Southern accent! It’s the worst I’ve heard since Nicholas Cage in Con Air!

• Amber says:

I live in Texas, and I’ve never even noticed it being that bad. I certainly don’t talk like that (I grew up in CA), but I’ve heard lots of people who do talk that way.

• ErixN says:

Yeah, I am from the south as well, and I have heard tons of people that talk like Tara. It’s not bad at all.

• Danielle H. says:

Her’s is pretty spot on for a southern black gal honestly.

Although I’m perplexed why everyone says they like her better this season. I find her really boring; she has had no storyline except for 5 mins in the first episode. She’s just tagging along with Laffy and Jesus.

6. Poppy says:

Rutina is looking really beautiful. I was so happy when she cut off those awful braids last year. This season I’m not really feeling the lesbian storyline as Tara was so into guys only, it was kind of jarring transition. I know it’s a year later in the storyline, but still I’m just not adjusting. I still love me some TB though!

7. indy says:

“moral” lesson of TB: you fall in love with Sam, you end up either dead or of opposite sexual orientation :P

8. derp says:

Come on guys, I know you can write better articles than this. “Suddenly took a turn for the gay”? Really?

Or maybe she’s *gasp* bisexual, and has been all along.

9. pricklet says:

Seconding this!

10. Rutha says:

It a ok story line,but i will be glad when it is over. Love Tara