Nathan Fillion Previews 'Repercussions' of Castle's Love Confession, Premiere's Big Fight

Even the great geek god, Nathan Fillion, isn’t immune to Jedi mind tricks, as the Castle star realized upon sitting down in TVLine’s Comic-Con interview suite to answer some questions about the ABC hit’s shocking finale and the aftermath coming in the Season 4 opener (airing Monday, Sept. 19).

Castle Scoop: 24 Baddie Is the New Boss

After lamenting the exit of cast member Ruben Santiago-Hudson (and in turn pitching a way to bring the late Capt. Montgomery back), Fillion clears the air about the season-ending shooting, confirming that Beckett (played by Stana Katic) indeed was shot in her “important bits.”

He then goes on to say that, given Castle’s declaration of love as Beckett lay wounded, “Certainly there are repercussions. Once you say something like that… it’s going to have to be dealt with.”

Ask Ausiello: Spoilers on Castle‘s Twisty Premiere, and More

Fillion also reveals what it’s like to get shoved around by on-screen rival Victor Webster‘s “manhole cover”-hands when the gents clash, shares the overall theme for Season 4, and offers his informed take on for just how long Rick and Kate can “do this dance” before diving into romance.

Press play — you know you want to.

Loading video...

Want Castle Scoop and Spoilers 24/7? Follow Me on Twitter via @MichaelAusiello

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out / Change )

1. Mel says:

SOOO Excited. Its going to be amazing and i absolutely love Nathan Fillion =]

• Ger says:

Love Nathan Fillion and both Michael and himself work off each other well! Just one bit of advice…Taking as long as BB to get them together will not work on Castle…I like the idea that Marlowe likes to shake things up every season and really hope he keeps the whole relationship/non relationship thing realistic…

• DL says:

I totally agree, but by the same token I also think that Castle and Beckett’s relationship ALREADY differs a lot from Booth and Brennan. Whereas I’ve felt that B & B have often been in the exact same place in their relationship across multiple seasons, or advance to a new level only to fall back into old patterns, I don’t think Castle and Beckett have the same issue. Maybe it’s just the performances, but there’s a tension there between them that changes, and the more the characters try to pretend it’s not there, the more it grows. I think their relationship is very organic, and the reasons they haven’t come together yet feel real and human, rather than something arbitrary determined by the executive producer/showrunner.

• jonathen says:

its jst osame!
        u may have heard this many times!bt u rock mr castle……

• GREG WARREN says:

• Chey says:

I can’t tell you how many times I found myself just standing in front of the tv, meaning to go to the kitchen to tend to dinner (which burns frequently during this show) only to be captured my this show’s spell. I absolutely love it and am down to bloody nubs in anticipation for the premier. I really hope Beckett is still alive, it’s been my hope for many months now. I <3 Nathan, have ever since Firefly!

• anna says:

i definitely agree to that! Everytime i watch castle, I always feel like watching firefly afterwards… and i love that halloween episode when he dressed up as the captain!!!!

• Kyra says:

BB took waay too long and they in turn lost viewers. Especially when their relation fell back so far.

• anna says:

i know right, and so now, they open a new season and it feels like we’ve been left behind cause she’d be heavily prego by then… but anyway… i hope the makers of castle wouldnt do the same mistakes as what the past series have done, cause that would sook…

• MamaLarson3 says:

Saw this ADORABLE pic right after watching this interview…almost TOO much (ok, I totally sound like a teeny-bopper with a crush).,,20399642_20512585,00.html?iid=blogM-1H-PG-Comic-Con%20star%20portraits:%20Day%203#20993052

• How an you NOT love Nathan Fillion, I’m 58 end of August, and I adore his character and personality, ON and OFF stage.
        He was right here in San Diego for ComicCon and I couldn’t afford to go 30 minutes away from me, broke my heart!

• Kate says:

That was a great interview! LOL So excited about the new season and the repercussions of the confession at the end.

2. MJ in Michigan says:

You asked my question!! w00t!

3. Karen says:

omg I just LOVE Nathan Fillion! So excited for Season 4 of Castle! But still really sad that Ruben won’t be on it anymore… Must bring him back for dream sequences!

• David Hawkeye says:

Capt Roy. He didn’t die; they remove him, and he appears to be dead. He’s the one that can be used to blow the top off of the case that eventually led to Beckett’s mom’s death.

Justice must be done. Roy will have to pay a price for what he did. Before it happens Roy will save Castle and Beckett from “an impossible” situation.

Castle’s connections eventually get Roy a pardon, but he can’t go back to NYPD, but he can be the PI that occassionally brings in info for Castle and Beckett…EVEN MORE TENSION…Roy around the new boss helping Castle and Beckett.

They can do the “dream” sequences as lead ins to his actual appearance.

4. Lisa says:

It is not possible to be as taken with a celebrity as I am with NF. I really would watch him in ANYTHING, even interviews that take 4 minutes to download on my phone! Great interview btw Mr. Ausiello!

5. Samantha says:

Unlike last year, when Nathan sat down with Michael, I feel much anticipation and dare I say hope for some significant movement on the Castle/Beckett front this coming season.
    I think Nathan and more importantly Marlowe understands that you can only jerk the audience around for so long before they give up, stop caring, and move on.
    Season 4 should bring some significant movement on the Castle/Beckett front, that’s what I want to see happen personally. Also can season 4, episode 1 be the first and last time we see Josh? One of the biggest failures of season 3 was the ridiculous significant other storyline. Live, learn, and lets move on!

• Lisa says:

So true. I am totally psyched about this season, I think it will be the best season of the series, S4 usually is.

I also think NF saying that this season would be about making choices based on what you want as opposed to what you need, pretty much settles it in my mind that he got the package from Montgomery and he struggles with his decision to tell Beckett or not.

• Kath says:

So agree with there being no more Josh…he just annoys me. Gina and Castle made sense after Deming, and Josh made sense at first but move on already. Castle and Beckett should be together.

6. rik says:

Castle schmastle. What about Captain Hammer?

7. olivia says:

THAT IS RUDE. nathan fillion will always be gorgeous no matter what. I’m sorry that he isn’t perfect for you to see on tv, but 11 million other girls all over the world just flail to see his face.. LOOK AWAY IF YOU HAVE SUCH A PROBLEM

• gallen39 says:

Don’t forget the boys who think he’s beautiful as well ;)

• lovetorun says:

where is the comment you’re replying to?
      also, nathan is beautiful. i dont care that hes twice my age, were getting married. age aint nothin but a numbah. ;)

• Lynn says:

Loved what you have to say about Nathan. He is just about all I’ve ever wanted in a man physically and his character as Castle melts my heart and soul both. Don’t get people who don’t think he’s handsome…it’s like people who don’t like animals…they just can’t be trusted!

• Deb says:

You said a mouth ful so true oh I know they could do a comic where Kate & Rick are room animals and have Little Castle Babies lol

8. Lisa says:

They removed the comment you are talking about, but right on girl!!! Oh and to the original poster, are you high?

9. Castle Lover says:

Great interview! The ‘silence contest’ made me laugh XD

10. Emily says:

Wow, great interview! Good questions. Lots to ponder on about the upcoming season.

(As a side note, am I the only person who doesn’t see the Castle & Beckett thing?)

• Lisa says:

Short answer. Yes! :)

• MalcolmReynolds72 says:

• Wendy says:

@Emily Actually, no. I think Castle and Beckett are awesome as a crime-solving duo and as friends in a brother-sister type way, but I think there’s no sizzle.

But I enjoy the show, anyway.

• ali says:

Wendy! How can you say that! Lol. Castle and Beckett have the best on-screen chemistry since Addison and Maddy from Moonlighting!
        They don’t just sizzle, they burn! I’m really quite shocked by your comment. If you think it’s brother-sister like, i can only say there must be a lot of people who hit on you and give up, thinking your not interested!!!!

• Chey says:

Wow, Moonlighting, haven’t thought of that show in forever, but you are absolutely right! I love their chemistry and can’t wait until it finally comes to fruition!

11. Michelle says:

I’m not sure it is possible for me to love someone as much as I love Nathan Fillion. One of my very favorite people EVER.

Now as far as Castle/Beckett goes…I’m so glad that they are acknowledging that jerking the audience around is a BAD thing. Castle has a couple of things going for it that Bones doesn’t. Not every single episode REVOLVES around the Castle/Beckett ship. We don’t have random people telling them they belong together Every.Five.Seconds. And Castle also has a writing staff that respects fans’ intelligence and patience. Marlowe and Co don’t give out platitudes about where things are headed. They’ve delivered every time. :)

12. Sue says:

Excellent interview. Loved it. Those last few seconds during the “silent stare down” – priceless! Thank you for braving Comic Con for all of us!

• mommyof5 says:

oh i agree…i was watching on my laptop at a coffee shop, laughed out loud and had half a dozen people stare me down lol. am very excited for the new season.

13. zainab says:

love nathan :DD

14. ann says:

Fantastic interview, Michael! Somehow, I think, this new wedge between Castle and Beckett would be less frustrating to watch than the significant other kind of last season.

15. Elisabeth says:

Oh that was excellent Aus, so funny!

• MalcolmReynolds72 says:

I second that! Aus was very funny – but it is Nathan, I bet it would be fun to hang out with and talk crazy ideas…

16. Elin says:

Haha I Love this! Great inteview :D You guys are awesome <3

17. lilu2go says:

the end was hilarious !

18. Lorie says:

Thanks for the awesome interview!

19. vámpír says:

Nathan the king

20. Arman says:

Wow, this is the first time I has some symphaty for Ausiello. Although Nathan seems like he “acts” a lot in this interview, it’s amazing how funny they both are.

21. xav says:

I never get sick of this man. I just love his cute little Canadian ass.

• Erica says:

I forget sometimes he’s Canadian!! Being a North Dakotan, I feel like I get to almost sorda in a completely unjustifiable way claim him too…North Dakota’s pretty much Canada anyway eh?

22. Kristi says:

That interview was adorable! You two are adorable!

23. Viv says:

Michael, you should be so proud of TVLine — the website looks fantastic; the articles are funny and interesting and coherent. Love TVLine! Love it! 11×17 glossy editorial mag, paper form baby!!!
    Great work — congrats!

24. Melinda says:

LOL, Michael. You are hysterical when you say nothing!!! Bravo!

25. Erin says:

I just love Nathan – I could watch him talk about paint drying and it would be entertaining.

26. curie24 says:

Nathan could Not be more Adorable & Charming if he took lessons. He could read the phone book and be watchable.

Having said that, this was a great interview, & Mr. Ausiello played off Nathan really well. So entertaining! Thanks!

27. Ace says:

All hail Nathan, the King of Comic-Con! (Felicia Day’s the queen, right?)

• MelindaB says:

I thought that Zac Levi was the King of Comic-Con. Oh, they can be co-kings. They’re both on my list of favorite actors…or even favorite people.

28. Danika says:

Fantastic interview!

29. grace says:

ugh, so great.
    i love nathan..

30. ally says:

Michael that was a great interview! You are awesome! Nathan is awesome too! Love the stare downs. HA HA!

31. Amy says:

Favorite Comic-Con interview (Joel McHale and Gillian Jacobs a close second)! Love Nathan Fillion and I can’t wait for the season to start. I am up for “the dance” continuing but don’t want it to veer into Bones territory. So far, so amazing, so I trust you Andrew Marlowe.

32. Laurie says:

Great interview, Michael! Nathan seems like the kind of guy who makes interviews more fun than some other people, but that was really well done. Loved how he called you on “the silent treatment.” :)

33. helena says:

I love nathan fillion!he is amazing!cant wait for castle season 4! :-) :D

34. Kath says:

Love Fillion. Love the show.

But the obstacles for keeping them apart are wearing thins now.

35. Ashley says:

That was good. Real good. God Nathan is such an incredible actor. I really have a lot of respect for what he does. I can’t waitt for the next season to begin! :) Keep up the good work. And as for you and Beckett well keep that going as long as you want because I can’t get enough of your show!! Goodluckk with the new season!

36. Dana says:

I like the way Castle and Beckett are pulled both directions in their relationship. I mean, that’s the draw of the show. Once they get together, the show won’t have such an alluring pull on the audience. I like that the things pulling them away from each other are realistic and sensible. I like that they have LOGIC. It reminds me of “Chuck”… when Chuck and Sarah finally hooked up I stopped watching. They didn’t draw it out long enough!! Watching them be together isn’t nearly as fun as the sexual tension of watching them do “the dance”. I hope the song doesn’t end for a long time.

37. Rachel says:

I love Nathan Fillion. Castle is one of my favorite shows right now, but he’ll always be either Captain Mal Reynolds or Bill Pardy (b**ch b**ch b**ch) to me. Anyone who has seen the behind the scenes of Slither will get that last little joke.

38. Memento says:

Hillarious. :D Looking forward to new season!

39. Denise Schweigl says:

I can’t believe Michael caleed Nathan a geek! I don’t think so!

40. CC says:

41. Alex says:

OMG, marry me Nathan! :D The new season sounds great!

42. Leona says:

I love the last part of the interview when Nathan realizes he

should not keep talking and stops and waits for the next question. I

was cracking up! He was absolutely right and it was hilarious!

43. Adrian says:

Great job getting him to talk!
    aAve to try that “silent” trick myself!
    Would have loved to be at comic con, greatest geek-festival of the year, to bad my wallet didn’t like the idea and grounded me.
    Was it as awsome as it seemed? =D

44. Anthony says:

I think we have all watched certain shows and there is USUALLY a love interest of some kind in them. With that said, I remember an actor from stargate atlantis who once said that there needs to be sexual tension for it to work, especially if you start off the season that way or in this case if the show is about MORE than just 2 people who love each other…but once castle said he loves her that broke the tension. I’m really curious to see how this next season plays out, should be excellent! I have extreme trust in the writers and actors to make this show go on for many more seasons – Nathan Fillion is the man!

45. I want them back in each others arms they got a good chemistry.after hiding their feelings for long time,I wish in this season will grow and it will be show off.
    I wish in this season to castle will learn how to defend his self,in short learn how to fight,dn’t always hide at Bechett’s back.

46. Tracy says:

Castle is the most intense, enthralling, and exciting series that has been on television in years! It is incredible. I barely turn on the television during the summer because there’s nothing to watch. I love CASTLE!

47. jlKnisel says:

That interview made me laugh. I think the interviewer was a good listener and it drove Nathan to be nuttier than usual.

48. Jim says:

So how about a very musical episode of Castle?

49. emilee says:

Are castle and Beckett still going to be okay and Mr.castle I think It’s stupid as having Montgomery be the third cop

50. Lisa says:

Goodness gracious, Nathan Fillion is hot.