Exclusive

Good Wife Exclusive: Kelli Giddish Will Be Back - For a Quickie?

Kelli Giddish is one hot property this coming TV season. In addition to copping one of the two new series regular gigs on Law & Order: SVU, the blonde beauty will also reprise her role of The Good Wife‘s saucy Sophia Russo, TVLine has confirmed.

As of now, Giddish is set to appear only in the buzzy CBS drama’s Season 3 premiere, which airs Sunday, Sept. 25, at 9/8c, and picks up very soon after the events of the sophomore finale. But pre-SVU, series creators Robert and Michelle King had bigger, frothier plans for Kalinda’s latest — and married — hook-up. And those plans were going to form the shape of a triangle.

Good Wife Season 3 Scoop: Hotel Hook-Up Aftermath, Plus Will’s Blast from the Past

“We are struggling with some casting availability,” Robert responded when I asked him about the triangle he had penciled in for Season 3. “As you know, we lost Kelli Giddish to SVU, so we are reconfiguring some of the thinking.”

King, though, was resolved to bring back Giddish in some capacity, noting that her character “brought out a good aspect of Archie [Panjabi],” who plays typically tough Kalinda. “Kelli is so good,” he added. “They’re so lucky at SVU.”

Take a trip down memory lane, revisiting Kalinda and Sophia’s season-finale pillow talk….

Loading video...

1. xav says:

Oh God, they were probably going to do a Kalinda/Sophia/Cary triangle. What a nightmare.

• Eli says:

my words exactly! Kelly Giddish is such a show killer, anything she touches gets cancelled. Brace yourselves to say bye bye SVU and good wife!

2. HI says:

Paging Lili Taylor, stat.

3. babsmcphee says:

Cary? Oh, no. That would be bad. But possibly funny.

4. abc123 says:

Who said anything about Cary? They were probably going to cast someone to play Kelli Giddish’s character’s husband (who may or may not be someone from Kalinda’s murky past). I hope the storyline resolves itself somehow, although it will probably be pretty hard to work around Giddish’s commitment to SVU.

5. Lu says:

Can we have just Cary and Kalinda? Sigh!
    And can we have a spoiler which is “all” about Cary?

• xav says:

I’m still hoping they write Cary out.

• Danyelle says:

OMG why why WHY are you always always so negative and foul? And I only know it’s you because every time I see a contrary opinion and comment on these boards, its that same “xav” handle. Do you like ANYTHING? Please share.

• xav says:

I love everything. Television is my favourite. The Good Wife is my favourite show. I found the weakest point of an otherwise incredibly strong Season 2 to be the way they had to put Cary into every episode because he was a regular. It felt disingenuous and forced, compared to the way they insert Eli Gold and Chris Noth. In addition, I find Cary’s character tedious because his “OMG, I hate Alicia because she BEAT me” attitude to be an extremely boring storyline that should have ended after about the sixth episode of season 2 but they instead continued it out throughout the entire season. If they want to keep Cary they actually have to have him grow as all the other characters do. Right now he’s still the smarmy, petulant villain who needs up build himself up by being condescending to his old bosses and that storyline is boring and honestly the weakest point in a show filled to the brim with powerful acting, excellent characterization and brilliant writing.

• Jake says:

Well said, I do hope they give him more to do this season. I’d like to see his motivation instead of him reacting to everything around him. What really drives Cary, ya know? Once again, well said.

6. Amber says:

I wish they would bring someone new on for Kalinda. I thought she reached a breakthrough when she realized Sophia was married, that she didn’t want to be a cheater anymore. Someone new – single and unattached.

7. Danielle says:

Can we get Jill Flint to come back? Out of all the partners that Kalinda has had, her character was my favorite.

8. Carol says:

What about Lisa Edelstein?

• Alicia says:

I don’t think she factors into this storyline. Although, isn’t her character a “born poker player”? Wouldn’t mind a little strip poker between her and Kalinda…

9. Ashley says:

How could you want them to write Cary out? He’s one of the best characters on the show. Just because he’s complicated and his motives aren’t clear doesn’t mean he’s a bad character. I love him! And I love his relationship with Alicia and (especially) with Kalinda!

• Luc says:

Right now Cary is my favourite character so if they’d write him out I’d be also “out”.

• Rose says:

I don’t want Cary written out; however, I also don’t want Kalinda stuck in a romance with him. I enjoy them as friends but not every male/female friendship has to evolve into a romance. I’d rather see Kalinda with Lana or a new female who can be on the show for more than three episodes a season. As for not Cary, why not pair him up with the Assistant State Attorney Genevieve?

• LUc says:

And not every Kalinda relationship has to involve a woman, don’t you think? Because it’s not matter of gender, it’s matter of “affection” and I didn’t see “real” affection between Kalinda and Lana or Kalinda and Sophia. What I like about Kalinda and Cary it’s that even if both of them are truly badass in their own ways, they both seem to really “care” about each other, so I wouldn’t have problems with them being romantically involved, in a badass way, of course, especially because I love both of them. Plus Matt Czuchry and Archie Panjabi have a “natural” chemistry so I can see why they would try to use it.

• xav says:

I don’t think he has complicated motives at all. His entire motives for the entirety of season 2 can be reduced to “I hate Alicia because she BEAT me! Screw you, Lockhart Gardner!” and helping Kalinda because he wants to sleep with her. I need better characterization on this show. His beef with Alicia need to change or grow in order to remain an interesting storyline but it didn’t. The writers chose to shoehorn in scenes with Kalinda every episode. And it was the exact same scene every single time. Kalinda wants something from him. She flirts with him to get it. He gives it up blah blah, repeat for 22 episodes straight. His ability to make himself the self-righteous one in everything is an interesting trait for a villain but they haven’t developed it at all.

• Luc says:

You hate the character. And it’s your right. But you’re watching another show if you think he helped Kalinda and put his ENTIRE career on jeopardy just because he wanted to sleep with her!He can be smarmy but he’s not STUPID! If you’re looking for someone who helped her and tried to sleep with her try with the FBI Agent.
        And I’ve enough of people who said he’s bad just beacuse he doesn’t ADORE Alicia like everyone in this show “has” to like to her to being considered a good character.

10. anonymous says:

Its too bad Kelli Giddish won’t be able to do many episodes.She’s gonna be wasted on SUV. That show has gotten terrible. Why don’t they bring back that nurse character who may or may not have flirted with Kalinda if they want to do a triangle with Cary,Kalinda and a woman? With Kelli on SUV they should go with someone else.

11. Lennox says:

I’m so glad Giddish is going to get another crack at playing Sophia! I thought her character really clicked with Kalinda, and was the most 3-dimensional of all Kalinda’s hook-ups and what-have-yous. At least there will be some transition and Sophia won’t just disappear.

Too bad there won’t be more, tho… Sophia could have been a nice moral dilemma for Kalinda, testing her new found aversion to married people.

And I have to throw in with the side against a romance with Cary. They’re sweet together, but Cary seems too much like a kid next to Kalinda. It would be a very unconvincing romantic pairing. And a little too predictable for TGW.

12. Mike says:

I want to see Kalinda’s off court/office storyline follow the path it was presented in Season 1 with FBI Agent Lana (Jill Flint). Cary is too young for Kalinda, but he doesn’t know it, and this is fine. Hope the writers don’t force them as a couple when the the characters are “grey” and not traditional like other tv shows.

13. Alex S. says:

So excited about the season premiere. It’s a shame that Kelli’s character is only in the season premiere. She was such a great addition to the show and definitely brought out something positive in Kalinda. Maybe she could juggle both The Good Wife and SVU.

Anyone hear if she’ll be in additional episodes of The Good Wife?

14. giddish says:

I was wondering who Kelli Giddish is sleeping with to get all of these parts. Her accent sucks as bad as her acting! Did someone sign her up for a long term contract that they need to keep her working or pay her to sit home?

15. Me says:

You people that are haters on Kelli Giddish, ya’ll don’t know what you’re talking about! Kelli Giddish is a great actor and or actress, she’s been working pretty much none stop since 2005! So you haters and you know who you are, can go play with your friends, ooh wait, you all don’t have any! LMFAO @ ALL THE HATERS!

16. Cyn Campbell says:

Let Kalinda have a friendship with carry as it would be the only one without sex. Let Kalinda grow in this way and although Cary and her still flirt it can be only for fun. Perhaps the triangle spoken of means Sofia, her husband and Kalinda. Some men don’t consider a gay relationship as cheating. Also all this talk of cheating… Kalinda has been cheating on Nick all along unless they were really never married or were divorced. I wish that would be cleaned up and why he would leave when she told him to go! As for Kelli, I love her and Archie. Kelli is great on SUV but since both shows shoot in NYC perhaps she can have time to do both.