Fringe @ Comic-Con: Joshua Jackson Exists, Barges In on 'Peter Recast' Audition Video

Now that Peter no longer exists on Fox’s Fringe, some actors thought that maybe the show was looking for a replacement, and decided to throw their hats in the ring to seize Joshua Jackson’s role.

Fringe Video Q&A: Anna Torv Tackles the Peter Question and Her Own Season 4 Dilemma

The producers even opened up the show’s San Diego Comic-Con panel with a video of familiar faces auditioning to play Peter — from SNL‘s Bobby Moynihan, Heroes‘ Zachary Quinto, Parks and Rec‘s Ben Schwartz (using sides from Dawson’s Creek, natch) and Lost‘s Rebecca Mader to Damon Lindelof, Geoff Stults, funnyman Paul Scheer, Lost‘s Michael Emerson and Community‘s Danny Pudi (wearing a mustache). Check out the video here, then read on for more panel highlights.

After popping up himself in the video (and sporting an Observer hat), Jackson came out on stage in the same lid – a hint about next season? – despite not being on the announced list of panelists. “Thank you everyone for coming to Pacey-Con 2011!” he greeted the very happy crowd.

So what is up with Peter next season? “It’s not that Peter’s consciousness is anywhere,” executive producer Jeff Pinkner offered. “There is no Peter. Peter doesn’t exist. Josh calls everyday, ‘What am I doing this year?’”

Well then, how could he have fathered a love child, as a fan put it? “The question is, ‘Is there a child?’” replied Anna Torv.

Fringe Season 4 Teaser Video: What Does It Mean?

While everyone else is having fun playing alternates, Jackson is happy to have the time off — though he’d still welcome the opportunity to do double-time on the show. Unfortunately, thatt’s not likely to happen. “I don’t know that Peter’s ever going to have an alternate,” his portrayer said. “But I think whoever he gets folded back into this season as will be a different version of [Peter].”

Blair Brown, meanwhile, thinks that her thus far unseen alternate may not even be human. “I’m not sure that [she] isn’t an inanimate object like a lightbulb or a toaster,” said the actress before suggesting that maybe Nina is a disease or plague, since we don’t know whether she’s good or bad.

When a fan asked if Olivia will learn to control her assorted supernatural skills, the producers were reluctant to give away spoilers, though Pinkner did offer this tidbit: “I’m not sure we’ve seen all her powers yet.”

After delivering a musical episode and a partially animated hour, what’s left for Fringe to explore? “The nude episode,” executive producer Joel Wyman joked, prompting John Noble to wonder, with the show’s attractive younger cast, “Why am I getting naked?!” But in all seriousness, next season will offer up more backstory episodes like “Jacksonville” and a different Astrid. “Astrid has a gun,” Jasika Nicole reported, in songà la a certain Aerosmith single.

1. LaurenHill says:

If the writers want Anna to play a double and william bell, there is nothing wrong with them wanting Josh playing an observer…just as long observer!Peter gets his own storyline.

2. Samantha says:

OOOMMMFFFGGGG!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

3. Donna says:

Well played Fringe team, considering how fans were FREAKING OUT over Joshua Jackson not being on the announced panel.

4. Chmarin says:

Jesus, this article scared the living crap out of me. I thought it said “Joshua Jackson exits”. >.<

• Sean says:

Pretty sure thats exactly what it says.

• Barry says:

Pretty sure it says Exists and not exits

• Jo says:

Sean — pretty sure that you are wrong. Exists is not exits. The difference is all of one specifically located “s”.

Here is a logic question for all: if Peter never existed then why would there ever be (even if it was clever) auditions for that role?

5. Kristen says:

The Fringe team definitely played their cards close to the chest regarding Josh, but what a great surprise that was!

But FYI, the episode is titled “Jacksonville,” not “Jackson”.

6. Lorie says:

Awesome tape! Ben Schwartz had me rolling on the floor.

7. Kelly says:

OMG sounds like an awesome panel and it’s got me excited for the new season.

8. Christa says:

THAT WAS AWESOME!!! they are so smart and know how to play the fans! give us a litle and let our brains go crazy till the season starts then give us something totally different!!! good job Fringe/Fox!

9. Danielle H. says:

That was hilarious. Made me miss Heroes though (matt and zach <3)

10. Sourabh says:

Nicely done.

11. Tausif Khan says:

Will Olivia Dunham turn into The Phoenix from X-men?

12. Delirious says:

Any chance there’s a link to the video for non-unitedstatesians? It seems “this content is not available in my location” :(

13. Ben says:

I’m so glad youtube exists so I was able to actually watch the audition tape. I don’t know why something fun from comic con is being cut off from the international fanbase, but it’s a tad annoying.

14. xav says:

This is so brilliant. There is absolutely nothing I do not love about Fringe and their adorableness.

15. Kirstin says:

Even when they frustrate the hell out of me I love this shoes writers :P

16. ainav says:

I want to watch the video too =( but Im not in the US!

17. tamil says:

Maybe they should re-cast both peter and olivia, since anna and josh clearly can’t get along. In all the shows appearing at comic con, there were no tv colleagues that behaved as poorly as they did (to each other).

• Per34 says:

OH SHUT THE HELL UP TAMIIIIIIII!

• annon says:

Oh please. Go troll elsewhere.

• tamil says:

Actually denying the obvious and telling people to shut up when its perfectly blatant to anyone who has eyes, well that’s trolling.

• pertqw says:

Were you there Tamil? Are you on set with josh and Anna? Did josh or Anna tell you they hate each other?

So unless you know josh and Anna personally or seen them hating each other, you should keep your crap to yourself cause you do not know what you are talking about.

• passing says:

What is blatant is that Josh Jackson fans, or should I call them Pacey fans, are abusing and insulting Anna Torv all over the internet.

What is a fact is that Josh Jackson in interviews this year has ignored Anna Torv, has not said a positive thing about her.

Anna Torv on the other hand has done a number of interviews promoting Fringe worldwide in June, and every time she mentioned Josh in a positive way, as she talks about every castmember in a positive way. It is a fact that all other co-stars of Fringe love working with Anna Torv, each and every one has said so in their interviews.

As a fact the only castmember Jackson ever talks about is John Noble, so this then should mean he does not get along with all his other co-stars??

So if you want to make any of those comments, please do it with the correct info and based on facts.

• Annon says:

Passing, what sort of statement is “that because Joshua talks about John mostly that he doesn’t get along with other cast mates”?
            That is ridiculous. He’s talked about Jasika recently for example, if I recall. I would think who they talk about characterwise and actorwise, depends on what questions they get asked. So, when you say “base things on fact”, you know that for certain do you? You’ve spoken to Josh about it and have facts to prove that?

The interview for EW on the weekend, clearly shows how much they all get along with each other. It was a riot.

Whenever Josh and Anna talk about Fringe they talk about the show in a positive way, and that goes for all the cast. They all promote the show well. I think you are wanting to see something that is not there. I’ve been impressed with all the interviews that have been done over the summer from everybody. All being encouraging about the new season and telling people not to worry.

I’m not going to touch the “Insulting Anna thing”. There are some fringe fans in the fandom, that seriously need help. I’ve seen some horrible insulting comments from both Josh fans and Anna fans to be honest, about both actors respectively . It’s sad to see parts of the fringe fandom like that. You can like certain characters/actors, but still be respectful to other posters preferences. Unfortunately, there are some who don’t do that.

• tsktak says:

I guess the only way for you to shut up, ANTO AKA PASSING is for josh to say how Anna torv is the best actresseva. Grow up

• playew says:

I suggest you go watch the video of john and Anna at paleyfest and when asked about josh, she said NOT A WORD so who are you to complain that josh doesn’t treat Anna like she is the queen of the universe?

18. Betterasamemory says:

Baha! Pacey-con! I love Fringe, and Peter, but Pacey-con I’d fly across the country to attend. Love him for the Dawson’s Creek reference!

19. wooster182 says:

Is it sad that the thing I was most excited about in that vid was that Joshua Jackson is getting his adorable baby fat back in his cheeks? …Ahem…Josh has got to do a hilarious vid for Comic-con every year now. It kind of a feels like a tradition at this point.

20. amina says:

hello,my name is amina im from bosna.im 12.i dont know english but i lirned it im school.i allways wanted to have the chance to say somthing about twis amazing show.my brother and i finished the season 3 and we can not wait for season 4…..I am you best fan….They are a lot of them but i keep trying day to another,to make my friends from school to watch FRINGE……….SO FARE THEY ARE 458 MY FRIENDS FROM SCHOOL WICH IS WATCHING YOU ………AND YOUST SAY YOU KNOW IT THAT YOU HAVE SOOOOOO,SOOOO MUCH FANS FROM BOSNA AND HREZEGOVINA……..WEEE ARE OLL SAD BECOUSE PETER BISHOP NEVER EXSICTED…BUT WE BELIVE THAT ONE DAY HE WILL GET BACK…MAYBEE IN SEASON 4……FRINGE IS THE BEST SHOW EVER WEE LOVE YOUUUUUUUUUUUUUU…………..