Community @ Comic-Con: Who's Shacking Up? Will Jeff Graduate? Will Glee Ever Get Its Due?

Community creator Dan Harmon is keeping an optimistic attitude when it comes to the acclaimed and beloved NBC comedy’s latest Emmy snub. “I want an Emmy,” he said during the show’s San Diego Comic-Con panel discussion on Saturday. “We’ll get one eventually.”

In the meantime, he is relieved another show is getting its share of Emmy love. “I’m just glad Glee finally got some recognition,” he joked. “It’s hard to be that show….. They’re out there in the wilderness.”

Emmy Nominations 2011: Best Comedy Community and 20 Other Big Snubs

So, what does Community have on its syllabus for Season 3?

New Riffs, New Faces | Another “exciting and fun” Halloween adventure is on its way next season, teased Harmon. Also on tap: a special season premiere, an episode involving multiple timelines, Michael Kenneth Williams (The Wire) as the gang’s new biology teacher – “I want to add layer of intensity,”  Harmon said of the casting – more of newly promoted series regular Jim Roush as Dean Pelton, and an empowered Chang. “I always wanted to see what if Gollum did get the ring and kept it,” explained Harmon.

Bromantic Complications? | Season 3 will find Abed and Troy taking their bromance to the next level by moving in together. But could the move cause some friction? “It takes a lot when you move in in a relationship,” said Glover.

Jeff, Now Even More Exposed | On the romantic front, is there something still going on with Jeff and Britta when Season 3 picks up? “Just like some hand stuff,” joked Joel McHale, adding, “I think Jeff had crises [last season]. I think he became pretty desperate sexually. … Now I think you’re seeing more of Jeff. He’s not just a cocky guy who’s great at everything — which he is.”

Pierce-ing Questions | The status of the study group’s oldest member question will be explored, as previously reported by TVLine. “People had said that Pierce got maybe so dark, they wondered why anyone would hang out with him,” said Harmon. “We’re going to address that now. By the time we’re done, you’re going to know why you’d hang out with Pierce.” For his part, Chevy Chase concurred that Pierce “went too far” with his belligerent behavior last season.

Fall TV Mystery: Has Community‘s Pierce Left the Group for Good? (Do We Want Him Back?)

Out and About | The comedy will continue to go off-campus, because “as the show progresses, we need to learn more about [the characters],” explained Harmon. We may even meet new family members. “We need to before Season 4, because what if we want the show to go on forever?” Harmon posed.

On the Five-Year Plan? | What about beyond Season 4? Will the study group graduate? “All I know is that there is a four-year story that we promised in the pilot,” he replied. And whatever happens, Jeff will either get his degree… or not. “We need the show to last forever, but we need to respect it,” Harmon noted.

For those who can’t wait until Thursday, Sept. 22, for fresh Community fun, the show’s Season 2 DVD release (on Sept. 6) will feature lots of bonus goodies: commentary on every episode, deleted scenes, a featurette for the Christmas and paintball episodes, cast evaluations, and a gag reel on each of four discs.

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out / Change )

1. Garnet_and_Gold47 says:

Someone is mysteriously absent from the class photo. Does this mean Pierce won’t be as big of a part of this season? I need my dose of crazy inappropriate comments. I can’t wait for this season to start.

2. ruby says:

can’t wait

3. DJ Rogue says:

No Blu-Ray? Again?!??

Things like this make me want to watch Glee..

• el says:

Whoa whoa, them’s fighting words. That most likely has everything to do with the studio and nothing to do with Dan and cast, so support the show but write an angry letter to Sony or something.

4. el says:

I love this show so much. Season 3 already sounds like it’s going to be amazing- going deeper into the characters while being a little more consistent and connected sounds absolutely perfect.

5. rich says:

The beauty of community college as a backdrop is that students can get sucked in for years longer than they ever planned going in.

• Mandy says:

So true. This isn’t the most reliable institution, so many things could turn out to not be for credit, or they miscalculated people’s degrees.
      But really, I think Jeff Winger would make the coolest professor at Greendale! That is totally the type of slack job he would be perfect for.

6. I could do with a little more focus being on their lives at Greendale before taking it off-campus. While I am a fan of “Community”, I know of several people who found Season Two a little too scattered to stay with the show. I’m hoping for all of the absurdity but tighter stories. And more episodes focusing on Annie.

7. Cat says:

After hearing so many good things about community I finally got around to watching it a few weeks ago. Watched the first 2 seasons in 3 days and I am almost finished rewatching season 1 with all the commentaries. I was late to the game but community is definitely one of the best shows on television and should get more recognition. I’m excited for the season 2 dvds!

8. Lily says:

Nothing on Jeff and Annie? I absolutely love them, I have never liked the Jeff/Britta romance.

• melita says:

double amen
        jeff and britaa where never meant to be

• teehee says:

na for me and loads of my mates who watch it we all say jeff and britta are meant to be together haha :P (not to mention jeff is like 20 years older) Britta was the one Jeff liked first and they just go together perfectly for us. I’d rather see Annie and Troy make it together tbh. Hopefully jeff/britta will come true in season 3

• troy's weiner says:

Eck. Jeff and Annie really? Isn’t he 20 years older than her? I hope Jeff doesn’t end up with anyone in the group. Sexual tension is good for comedy, successful coupling is not. Jim and Pam as a happily married couple with a kid are boring.

I hate shipping in comedies, but if I had to root for a couple on Community it would be Troy and Annie.

• Amy says:

amen to that.. Jeff and Annie FTW!!

9. Raksha says:

POP POP!! I cant wait for Community to start airing again!!!

10. timelord says:

ok jim roush? seriously? its jim rash for f***’s sake

11. Tausif Khan says:

Community could also pull a Glee or Friday Night Lights. Either progressively introduce no characters that we can get to know and love so that when the current cast graduates we still have a show set in a community college or shift the show to a new community college with a couple of the main characters of this series to establish continuity. It does not however need to move the setting of the show off of a community college.

12. Jason Dean says: