Big Bang Theory @ Comic-Con: Emmy Rivalries, Penny-Raj Aftermath, and Sheldon Sexytimes?

Riding high from its first-ever nomination for Outstanding Comedy Series, The Big Bang Theory rolled into Comic-Con today with a panel discussion that provided scoop about a resolution to the Penny-Raj hookup, the evolving (and perhaps kinky) relationship between Sheldon and Amy, and the possibility of a brewing rivalry between Best Actor in a Comedy nominees Jim Parsons and Johnny Galecki. Read on for the whole sheBang!

Finale Follow-Up | As Executive Producer Bill Prady coyly puts it, “There will be a resolution” to that wonky finale hookup between Penny and Raj. “We think whichever way you came down on what happened, you’ll be happy with how it works out. “

Guest-Star Scoop | “Sara Gilbert’s not available to us because she’s on CBS’ The Talk,” divulged Prady. In other words, don’t look for her Leslie Winkle to be back in Season 5 — though such things are often subject to change. As for who the cast would like to see on BBT again, Parsons is pulling for Barry Kripke (played by John Ross Bowie). “There’s an odd friendship there,” he says. “If he ever comes back, of course.”

Emmy, Schmemmy | Come September, Johnny Galecki and Jim Parsons will battle it out in the Lead Actor in a Comedy category. So is there any behind-the-scenes competition between the two? “Oh always,” deadpanned Galecki. “Since day 1.” Serious answer: No way.

Boo-zare | The abundantly loveable Kaley Cuoco was — gasp! — booed during the BBT panel, prompting Prady to ask, “Did we just get booed at Comic-Con?!” Don’t worry, it was all in good fun. Just a little issue of Cuoco not knowing something scientific about time and space relativity. I mean, seriously, how dare she?!

Senorita Science | Dr. Mayim Bialik admitted that she’d “never watched Big Bang Theory” when she initially auditioned, but we forgive her because: “I Googled Jim Parsons the night before the audition, and I did my best impression of him. I guess it was good enough!” Added bonus: Having an actual Ph.D. in neuroscience, Bialik doubles as a dictionary for her fellow castmembers. “I don’t know if I consult,” she says modestly. But Parsons would beg to differ: “I still don’t know what Sheldon is talking about most of the time. That’s what Mayim’s good for these days.”

Too Nerdy to Type | In all honesty, I have no idea what this means, but it garnered quite the audience reactione: Regarding when/if Sheldon will ever achieve “pon farr”, Prady laughed, “Sheldon seems singularly devoted to science. Only time with tell, but if he’s Vulcan, it’s biological.” Does that make sense? Trekkies? Anyone?

Best Line Ever | In response to a question from a U.S. solider, Parsons said, “Thank you for serving our country — Bazinga!”

Fun Fact | Galecki revealed, “20 years ago, my first screen kiss was with Mayim.” While we’re on that subject…

“Sexy” Farrah Fowler | Bialik’s Amy is kinda kinky, right? Well, explains Prady, “Sheldon missed out on a lot growing up and he doesn’t care, while Amy missed out on a lot growing up, and she wants it. So the main difference between the two is that Amy is game — she wants to have some of the experiences she didn’t have.” Teased EP Chuck Lorre of her seemingly erotic nature, “Mayim is a very sexual actress. She’s a dirty, dirty girl, and as writers we try to write to the strengths of the actors. Full-frontal nudity this year!”

TAGS: , ,
GET MORE: Comic-Con, News, Scoop

1. Laura says:

re: Pon far

“In Star Trek, pon farr is a psychophysical condition affecting Vulcans, in which Vulcan males and females go into heat every seven years, going into a blood fever, becoming violent, and finally dying if they do not mate with someone with whom they are empathically bonded.”

2. Sara says:

Pon far – in short = sex!

3. Alicia says:

BBT spoilers make me happy!

4. Stacie says:

Mayim Baylik surprised me. I didn’t really like her character or found her necessary to the show in the beginning but she really grew on me, and was by far the standout of last season. They really incorporated her well into the fold, and having her and Bernadette form a ladies friendship group with Penny, to counterbalance all of the guys on the show was brilliant. It was becoming a bit one trick pony for there to be all these guys and Penny, now that the balance of female to male is a bit more proportioned the show is definitely feeling like a real true ensemble.

• Gusar says:

Amen! When they first announced Mayim will be made a regular, my mind went “nooooo!”, and I wasn’t the only one. But the writers delivered. They provided an interesting Amy. So kudos to them.
      And how can you not like someone who has a smoking monkey living in their apartment? :)

• Gwen says:

I love her character! At first, I was not sure how I would like her, but I giggle every time she says “Hey bestie!” to Penny, just because that phrase seems so out of character for a genius who is still somewhat socially inept.

5. Wayne Robinson says:

Sheldon is such a hypochondriac. It would be easy for the cast to conspire to convince him he is going into ponfar.

• Kate says:

Now that would be both funny and completely something Raj and Howard would do to Sheldon but like their on-line dating scheme they could end up asking “what have we done” HA!

• James says:

The episode where he is scared of the hospital is wrought with continuity errors.

Sheldon snuck in to have Dr Stephanie test him and went willingly with Leonard’s mother for a brain scan…

Why would he freak out this time?

6. J. Norman says:

The producers realize that they had / have some serious damage control to do after they had Penny get drunk and sleep with Raj. It was one of those things that they thought sounded good for a season ending “cliffhanger” but in retrospect, I think they realize that it was a great big mistake.

I hope they don’t wimp out with some kind of dream sequence. The best they might do is have it that they actually didn’t do the nasty but thought they did. How can they do that? Probably by having a web cam on in the room that proved they didn’t.

If they did, it would make for very serious damage to the groups relationship. Remember, they did it (supposedly) in Leonards bed. How is that going to resonate.

7. David says:

Funny that the show was finally nominated for Outstanding Comedy during its worst season. Mayim Bialik – got to go.

• Rick says:

^^This, lol! I thought the same thing. I almost gave up on BBT this year. What was up with TV this year? Damn.

• Kate says:

Disagree….Loved this season and LOVE Mayim.

• James says:

Women love this season, my fiancee does…she doesn’t understand season 2 too much.

Which shows how they started catering to a wider demo and why they have garnered a Best COmedy, while losing cult status which survives WAY past accolades.

It is losing its geek appeal with continuity errors, errors in easy scientific principles and injecting romantic drama, not to mention making Leonard into some playboy with all the women he has had the last 2 seasons

8. amy says:

I agree, I DID give up on BBT this year, but am hoping they?ll get better next season and lose Mayim Bialik, get beck to the original gang.

9. Amy says:

This past season was hilarious! Love the addition of Amy Farrah-Fowler and Bernadette. Want to see the Leonard and Sheldon’s mothers back this season! Would love to see Mama Hofstadter and Amy together. Maybe they would fight over Sheldon?!

• Mars says:

ditto everything you said, esp. in term of Dr. Hoffstadter! OMG, those 2 episodes are among my favorites in TBBT!

• James says:

^^

This is why the show is in a free fall. Drama? Catfights? romantic angles?

One reason I became a fan of BBT was the point that as a geek myself, I know we long for the beautiful girl and because of the current materialistic and social convention, we never obtain her (or the odds are astronomical)

They have done away with the odd friendship of the 5 and did the following:

Made Raj and Penny unlikeable
      Made Howard a shell of his former self, although he seems to be growing
      Made Leonard turn from a loverable loser to a playboy who has no concerns for his friends
      Made Sheldon a 6 yr old genius basically

I like the evolving of the Amy character and think bernadette is hilarious…as well as Will Wheaton, Zack, Stuart and my favorite Barry Kripke

but they lost something…if they win Best Comedy this year, it shows how far off the norm I am with humour, as Season 2 was one of the best seasons of TV ever and after that it began to decline

10. tvshogal says:

Umm.why is that the best line ever? What was the question?

11. Steve T` says:

Love Penny, love Amy, like Bernadette (but she is growing on me), hate Priya.

• nakedheat2356 says:

Yeah, Penny and Amy are awesome, but Priya is really unimportant and dull.
      Also, would love to see Leonard’s mom again…

• Michelle says:

@Steve T
      That’s the way it should be. Priya is a necessary evil, providing fodder for the girl trio. She’s the one we can love to hate.
      However, I’d love to see her gone soon.

I have a nephew I sometimes call Sheldon because they are both so smart, cute, and quirky in a serious way.

12. James says:

Just want to say

LISTEN TO JIM PARSONS!~!

More KRIPKE, he is hilarious, even w/o the rhotacism. His helium prank on Sheldon was gold

13. jen says:

the thing that KC didn’t know – I’m guessing you’re refering to the meaning of TARDIS?

yeah, that wasn’t “scientific” like real science. it was a reference to Doctor Who, and the vehicle the Doctor travels in. Pretty much the British equivalent to knowing what the starship Enterprise is.

14. Jen says: