Comic-Con

Comic-Con: Alexander Skarsgard Discusses the Eric-Sookie True Blood Tango

Will they or won’t they? Or perhaps more importantly, when will they? That’s the question that fans of HBO’s True Blood often wonder about the complicated relationship between Alexander Skarsgard’s Eric Northman and series heroine Sookie Stackhouse. But a caveat for fans of Charlaine Harris’ novels:

True Blood @ Comic-Con: Eric-Sookie Shower Scene ‘Weirder and Dirtier’ Than Expected?

Skarsgard says just because you’ve read the infamous Book 4 doesn’t mean you know how Season 4 of HBO’s smash hit series will play out. The Swedish heartthrob sat down with TVLine’s Michael Ausiello at our Comic-Con interview suite to discuss the Eric-Sookie dynamic, the experience of interacting with rabid fans, and the importance of maintaining his character’s integrity in Season 4 — despite a pesky spell that’s wreaked havoc on his personality.

True Blood Boss On Bill-Sookie-Eric Threesome Buzz, Jessica’s New Crush and Major Deaths!

Press play below, then hit the comments to share your own thoughts. And remember that if you’re not actually at Comic-Con, no worries! Follow our TV-obsessed team — @MichaelAusiello, @MegMasters, and @VladaGelman — for up-to-the-minute scoop on all your favorites.

Loading video...
TAGS: , , , ,
GET MORE: Comic-Con, Interviews, News, Video

1. Matt says:

It’s funny, his accent sounds almost Texan at a couple of points towards the end. Fun interview – looking forward to seeing how things play out this season on TB.

• tigereyes says:

Matt, I thought that a few times also. I remember he and Stephen did a commentary, for Season 2 I believe, and I thought he had a Texan accent too :)

• Shadowcat85 says:

He was filming Straw Dogs around that time and has a Southern accent in that film. I think he spoke in it off set as well.

• Alex says:

Yes, I thought he was speaking with a Texan accent, too and I am from Texas so it threw me. It is an odd accent to have for a Swedish man who works mostly in California.

• tamarat says:

hahaha!! I thought so too!!
      At the end, when he says:
      “I’m on vacation right now. I had a week in Sweden with my family”

I don’t know what state that accent is from, but it’s certainly southern.

It’s so funny cause people in Sweden have such a neutral american accent. :)

2. Laura says:

You would never guess that he’s Swedish — his accent does have a southern twang to it! (It has come a long way from “Zoolander.”) Love Eric as a character, love Alexander playing him. Can’t wait to see the rest of Season 4!

3. s says:

I love this man. He is so talented and good looking. Why can’t AB be infatuated with him instead of Beel? lmao

4. anu says:

Just watched the season 4 sneak peak on hbo.com – can’t wait. Thanks Aus for the interview with Eric Northman! Did the rest of the cast not make it to Comic Con this year?

5. tigereyes says:

Anyone know why I’m unable to see the video? I just get a big white space.

6. Leif says:

Thanks so much for the interview.

I love how Alex ‘gets’ his character, and often talks of how
    “Amnesia Eric and non Amnesia Eric” are one and the same.

7. Kim says:

Great interview. Alex seems like a very nice man. Now I can’ wait to watch your interview with Stephen Moyer. That should be great as well. So many controversial things going on with his character I can’t wait to here your questions.

8. amy says:

One thing I really love is that AS took the time to read most of the Sookie Stackhouse books. So of course he gets Eric’s character. Just hope Ball doesn’t do anything to make the fans any madder than they are! Team Eric!

9. iamtrue2bill says:

I am so happy that AB has made this show his own, even though it is based on the books. AB is so smart and savvy, and TB displays that at every turn. AS gives a wonderful portrayal of Eric, and, although similar to the books, is not the same. This is an up and coming actor, and getting this gig was so fortuitous for him, and for us!
    I am looking forward to more interviews from TB castmembers!

10. Yikes!Yahoo!Yum! says:

Can’t wait for episode 6;)

11. Laurel says:

Great interview.
    I’m glad that the show is changing it up a bit from the books.
    After reading the books it makes the story interesting to watch every Sunday.
    I love the Eric/Sookie storyline and Alex is PERFECT in the part.

12. PamEric says:

Show needs MORE ERIC!, Sookie and PAM!!!! Alex had
    only 7 mins air time in last episode. I’m not gonna
    watch anymore if that doesn’t change. I only watch
    the show for Alexander and Kristin!

13. TS says:

Now this is how an entertainment reporter should conduct an interview! After visiting over at MA’s old stomps at EW, there are some absolutely HORRIBLE interviews, mainly due to the interviewers. MA is professional and clearly has taken the time to ask some good questions without becoming a giggly, fawning, mess. Kudos TVline and Mike A!

14. zee says:

Alex is a gem!

15. Val says:

I’m swedish, and I do hear some swedish in his accent(esepcially on the word really) besides the obvious southern accent. Sounds so strange to me, haha.

• Vicky says:

But Eric is supposed to have scandinavian accent when he is upset or out of himself. There’s nothing wrong in it.

16. Monica says:

I don’t mind that they are not following the books, but I do want to see Sookie with Eric. He is so hot! No more Sookie and Bill!

17. Laura says:

Good interview, love him so much and can´t wait for the upcoming episodes! What does he say at the end after “hopefully a movie”? And why does he say hopefully, I thought he would start filming “What Maisie knew” in August?

18. twiligtcougar says:

It nice TB is on tv .I. will only get mad if the Eric/ Sookie relationship is changed.I like the end of Ep.5 I thought AB did a good Job of Bill/ Sookie first making love moment.The book s were kind of better

19. Tamara Huddleston says:

Who will be cast to play Quinn the weretiger?

20. 春春 says:

Always Eric and Sookie

21. Smitty says:

How cute. A Swedish vampire with a southern accent. I love it.