Comic-Con

Comic-Con: Alexander Skarsgard Discusses the Eric-Sookie True Blood Tango

Will they or won’t they? Or perhaps more importantly, when will they? That’s the question that fans of HBO’s True Blood often wonder about the complicated relationship between Alexander Skarsgard’s Eric Northman and series heroine Sookie Stackhouse. But a caveat for fans of Charlaine Harris’ novels:

True Blood @ Comic-Con: Eric-Sookie Shower Scene ‘Weirder and Dirtier’ Than Expected?

Skarsgard says just because you’ve read the infamous Book 4 doesn’t mean you know how Season 4 of HBO’s smash hit series will play out. The Swedish heartthrob sat down with TVLine’s Michael Ausiello at our Comic-Con interview suite to discuss the Eric-Sookie dynamic, the experience of interacting with rabid fans, and the importance of maintaining his character’s integrity in Season 4 — despite a pesky spell that’s wreaked havoc on his personality.

True Blood Boss On Bill-Sookie-Eric Threesome Buzz, Jessica’s New Crush and Major Deaths!

Press play below, then hit the comments to share your own thoughts. And remember that if you’re not actually at Comic-Con, no worries! Follow our TV-obsessed team — @MichaelAusiello, @MegMasters, and @VladaGelman — for up-to-the-minute scoop on all your favorites.

Loading video...

Comments (30)

• It’s funny, his accent sounds almost Texan at a couple of points towards the end. Fun interview – looking forward to seeing how things play out this season on TB.

Comment by Matt – July 22, 2011 06:35 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Matt, I thought that a few times also. I remember he and Stephen did a commentary, for Season 2 I believe, and I thought he had a Texan accent too :)

Comment by tigereyes – July 22, 2011 07:21 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • He was filming Straw Dogs around that time and has a Southern accent in that film. I think he spoke in it off set as well.

Comment by Shadowcat85 – July 22, 2011 09:35 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Yes, I thought he was speaking with a Texan accent, too and I am from Texas so it threw me. It is an odd accent to have for a Swedish man who works mostly in California.

Comment by Alex – July 22, 2011 10:27 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • hahaha!! I thought so too!!
      At the end, when he says:
      “I’m on vacation right now. I had a week in Sweden with my family”

I don’t know what state that accent is from, but it’s certainly southern.

It’s so funny cause people in Sweden have such a neutral american accent. :)

Comment by tamarat – July 23, 2011 04:44 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • You would never guess that he’s Swedish — his accent does have a southern twang to it! (It has come a long way from “Zoolander.”) Love Eric as a character, love Alexander playing him. Can’t wait to see the rest of Season 4!

Comment by Laura – July 22, 2011 06:44 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I love this man. He is so talented and good looking. Why can’t AB be infatuated with him instead of Beel? lmao

Comment by s – July 22, 2011 06:57 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • you aren’t lauging your butt off=you mean it. and the answer is bcuz.

Comment by luvbc – July 22, 2011 11:38 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Just watched the season 4 sneak peak on hbo.com – can’t wait. Thanks Aus for the interview with Eric Northman! Did the rest of the cast not make it to Comic Con this year?

Comment by anu – July 22, 2011 06:57 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Anyone know why I’m unable to see the video? I just get a big white space.

Comment by tigereyes – July 22, 2011 07:23 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Works using Google Chrome but not Mozilla Firefox for some reason.

Comment by Lee – July 22, 2011 08:08 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • I’m using firefox and it work just fine.

Comment by Aurore – July 22, 2011 09:49 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Thanks so much for the interview.

I love how Alex ‘gets’ his character, and often talks of how
    “Amnesia Eric and non Amnesia Eric” are one and the same.

Comment by Leif – July 22, 2011 08:40 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Great interview. Alex seems like a very nice man. Now I can’ wait to watch your interview with Stephen Moyer. That should be great as well. So many controversial things going on with his character I can’t wait to here your questions.

Comment by Kim – July 22, 2011 11:11 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • One thing I really love is that AS took the time to read most of the Sookie Stackhouse books. So of course he gets Eric’s character. Just hope Ball doesn’t do anything to make the fans any madder than they are! Team Eric!

Comment by amy – July 22, 2011 11:23 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I am so happy that AB has made this show his own, even though it is based on the books. AB is so smart and savvy, and TB displays that at every turn. AS gives a wonderful portrayal of Eric, and, although similar to the books, is not the same. This is an up and coming actor, and getting this gig was so fortuitous for him, and for us!
    I am looking forward to more interviews from TB castmembers!

Comment by iamtrue2bill – July 23, 2011 03:58 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Can’t wait for episode 6;)

Comment by Yikes!Yahoo!Yum! – July 23, 2011 04:11 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Great interview.
    I’m glad that the show is changing it up a bit from the books.
    After reading the books it makes the story interesting to watch every Sunday.
    I love the Eric/Sookie storyline and Alex is PERFECT in the part.

Comment by Laurel – July 23, 2011 04:14 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Show needs MORE ERIC!, Sookie and PAM!!!! Alex had
    only 7 mins air time in last episode. I’m not gonna
    watch anymore if that doesn’t change. I only watch
    the show for Alexander and Kristin!

Comment by PamEric – July 23, 2011 12:14 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • So agree with you.

Comment by spring – July 27, 2011 11:35 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Now this is how an entertainment reporter should conduct an interview! After visiting over at MA’s old stomps at EW, there are some absolutely HORRIBLE interviews, mainly due to the interviewers. MA is professional and clearly has taken the time to ask some good questions without becoming a giggly, fawning, mess. Kudos TVline and Mike A!

Comment by TS – July 23, 2011 02:45 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Alex is a gem!

Comment by zee – July 23, 2011 04:29 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I’m swedish, and I do hear some swedish in his accent(esepcially on the word really) besides the obvious southern accent. Sounds so strange to me, haha.

Comment by Val – July 23, 2011 05:16 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • But Eric is supposed to have scandinavian accent when he is upset or out of himself. There’s nothing wrong in it.

Comment by Vicky – August 3, 2011 11:39 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I don’t mind that they are not following the books, but I do want to see Sookie with Eric. He is so hot! No more Sookie and Bill!

Comment by Monica – July 23, 2011 10:51 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Good interview, love him so much and can´t wait for the upcoming episodes! What does he say at the end after “hopefully a movie”? And why does he say hopefully, I thought he would start filming “What Maisie knew” in August?

Comment by Laura – July 24, 2011 02:19 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • It nice TB is on tv .I. will only get mad if the Eric/ Sookie relationship is changed.I like the end of Ep.5 I thought AB did a good Job of Bill/ Sookie first making love moment.The book s were kind of better

Comment by twiligtcougar – July 25, 2011 10:41 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Who will be cast to play Quinn the weretiger?

Comment by Tamara Huddleston – July 26, 2011 02:17 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Always Eric and Sookie

Comment by 春春 – July 27, 2011 11:26 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • How cute. A Swedish vampire with a southern accent. I love it.

Comment by Smitty – August 1, 2011 09:46 AM PDT  Reply To This Post