So You Think You Can Dance Results: Did the Right Contestants Go Home This Week?

On tonight’s So You Think You Can Dance Top 10 results show, Nigel Lythgoe pulled a shocker by performing a routine called “Dance of the Softies: Marshmallow Man.” Yes, folks, after Cat Deeley did her worst and announced this week’s Bottom 4 contestants, our head judge and executive producer took things in a surprisingly kind and gentle direction, telling the four at-risk dancers that he didn’t have anything bad to say about them, and didn’t have any advice for them about how to improve their performance or technique. “I’m sorry two of you are going home. That’s the very nature of the competition,” he said with somber appreciation.

Of course, Nigel’s soft touch was warranted, considering 9 out of the 10 routines pairing the Season 8 Top 10 with All-Star dancers on Wednesday night were actually pretty stellar, and that sole hinky routine was perhaps more the fault of the choreographer (whose name rhymes with Iced-Tea Oreo) than the contestant in question. And yet still, I have to ask, with the judges continuing to have the final say in who stays and who gets booted — tonight, the two men and two women with the lowest number of votes performed solos before Nigel, Mary, and guest judge Neil Patrick Harris chose one of each gender to walk the dancing plank — when will the power finally and fully rest in the hands of we the voting public? Or did I miss the memo that the “rules” of the competition are like the edges of a cloud — extremely blurry and subject to frequent change?

But then again, what fun would it be if we didn’t get to wax paranoid about what shenanigans Uncle Nigel was plotting behind a curtain that smells of tooth-whitening strips, dancers’ tears, and Gatorade-stained dollar-bills? On that note, let’s get on to the job of grading this week’s “dance for your life” solos and highlighting some of the other notable moments from the telecast.

Clarice: I’ll admit I totally dug that move where girlfriend threw a contortionist’s torso dip into her développé, but the rest of the number — set to Ida Corr’s “Let Me Think About It” was perhaps more Club MTV than high art. Not that there’s necessarily anything wrong with that. Grade: B

Mitchell: If a picture is worth 1,000 words, then Mitchell’s face heading into the commercial break that preceded his solo was worth at least six: “I am so going home tonight.” And while I appreciated that the kid tried something a little different — tossing around a delicate white scarf in a rhythmic gymnastics sort of way — I’m not sure this solo displayed the same level of power and passion as his prior two “dance for your life” encounters. Grade: B

Jordan: Um, unless there was some kind of music-clearance issue, I can’t fathom why Jordan chose to perform both her Wednesday- and Thursday-night solos to the tune of Lykke Li’s “Tonight.” Jordan’s partnering work has been solid almost every week of the competition, but her solos betray the immaturity she’ll need to overcome if she wants to outlast rivals like Sasha and Melanie. And frankly, I don’t see that happening. Grade: C+

Ricky: I thought Ricky and Mitchell’s solos were hard to separate during Top 12 results night, but this time around, the former hoofer leapt over his fellow Bottom 4 dweller as easily as a thoroughbred flying over a Fisher-Price fence. Sure, Ricky threw more tricks into the number than David Copperfield playing a corporate dinner party, but if you had those handsprings and pirouettes in your arsenal, wouldn’t you be showing ‘em off? Grade: A-

In other news from the telecast…

* The group number, “On Broadway,” felt a little Fosse-lite — all that jazz with none of the simmering sexuality — but the two dancers who caught my eye most frequently were Caitlynn and Jess.

* Call me a philistine, but I say that if Daniil Simkin had been up against Rickey and Mitchell with his French smoker/mime routine, his evening would’ve ended with a sweet highlight real and a hug from Cat.

* Oh, and what can be said about making yet another pit-stop at the Gatorade Sports Science Institute? I can’t lie and say I didn’t enjoy the sight of Tadd experiencing the “Bod Pod” — add Season 7’s Robert to the rotation and you’ve got a lovely summer spinoff guaranteed to make me set a series recording — but the Dynavision test just looked like Simple Simon with a bigger budget and lamer graphics, no?

Anyhow, to recap:

Anya (Season 3)
Pasha (Season 3)
Lauren G (Season 3)
Neil (Season 3)
Ade (Season 5)
Lauren F (Season 7)

Now it’s your turn to hit the comments and share your thoughts on this week’s eliminations: Did the right dancers go home? Are you happy with the Top 8 All-Stars? And don’t you think Robert should perform every week from now till the finale? Sound off below, and for all my reality news, interviews, and recaps, follow me on Twitter @MichaelSlezakTV!

1. JVC says:

First to comment:

Guy side right bottom 2 and right person went home. Women side kinda right bottom 2, but I would’ve sent home jordan instead of Clarice. Wasn’t too impressed w/ her solo. But overall correct bottom 4. Looking forward to next weeks all-stars, talk about season 3 overload, Pasha is getting worked this season. I think they need to start calling on more dancers from season 5 and 6. But can someone answer me this: Isn’t top 10 forward where it’s all about what america picks, I thought the judges stop picking who goes home at this point. Hopefully it will happen next week. Awesome group number as well.

• JayK* says:

I agree, Jordan’s been in the bottom constantly. Clearly America is not “connecting,” Nigel! Also curious about the power not being shifted to America without so much as a mention or explanation from Nigel. Excited to see Ivan! Still holding my breath for Danny.

• Maggie says:

Danny works for a ballet company in Norway, I doubt he has the time to come to LA to do the show.

• Sarah says:

I was watching with my husband, who doesn’t watch SYTYCD, and he asked me which of the girls I thought would go home – I thought Jordan and said the same thing you did – America just doesn’t seem to like her. But America doesn’t seem to respond to Bollywood either which is why I think Clarice ended up in the bottom. Jordan’s good but her solo routines all look the same (boring) to me. I think she’ll be out next week.

2. phillydancefan says:

All of the sudden Nigel gets to choose who goes home after the Top 10? That is a blatant rule change from past seasons, and without explanation? That’s going to make people–me included–really pissed. Its already clear he plays favorites on SYTYCD and Idol and this is only going to add fuel to the fire. Honestly, the point of the show is that the viewers decide!!! Ugh Nigel is such a smug little weasel!

• bkwrm says:

I was wondering if there was a rule change and I missed it. And once I got over my confusion I got angry too. Not that I am all that fond of either person who got sent home, but still. And isn’t it supposed to be just one voted off each week now or was that just last season? This season is turning out to be such a downer and lame.

• elr says:

I’m thinking they eliminated two because they may have only gotten so many weeks for the show to run (like maybe 13 or so) and since there was a top twenty they had to go with double eliminations after they got to the top ten. I have NO idea why the eliminations were not based on America’s votes and the judges decided, but I don’t like it one bit.

• Linda says:

I’m probably going to get booed for saying this but I honestly don’t have a problem with the judges picking who goes home from the bottom two girls and bottom two guys. In past seasons it’s ended up being a personality contest and not necessarily the best dancer. The best looking guy with the great body wins, or the cutesy little girl with the great personality wins. No, I’d have to say I’m okay with this change. Of course, by the time you get to the top 10, it’s really hard to choose who goes home because they are all great dancers.

• MAS says:

First – I came here hoping Slezak could explain what the heck happened. I kept thinking they gave Cat the wrong script when she was talking about the judges deciding. Even Mary Murphy in a recent published piece talked about giving control over to America. Also, didn’t that energetic dicussion amongst the judges look fake?
        Second – I would be ok with this in concept except for two points 1) the judges play favorites too. They love Jordan but I couldn’t tell you why. And 2) it is America’s favorite dancer, not the judges favorite dancer or whomever the judges can keep alive the longest to ensure their pick becomes America’s favorite dancer.

• David says:

Yes, it is America’s Favorite Dancer, but I think you are overstating the judges influence when they are picking who to keep. The dancers wouldn’t be dancing for their life if America had actually voted for them. The top dancers (in terms of votes) tend to stay in, not get bumped off by those who are perpetually in the bottom.

Nobody gets voted OFF the show. America votes to keep people ON. It’s a significant difference.

• Nic says:

I have to completely agree with you. Some of the biggest mistakes were Anya not in the top 10, Ryan over Legacy in the finally and Brendan and Kent not winning.

• uh says:

Who is Brendan? And seriously, Kent? No way.

Agree with ya on Anya and Legacy though.

• Hawk says:

Kent, lol. Excellent dancer, but so disingenuous he made me retch. I could envision him backstage chain smoking and practicing his wide-eyed Home Alone look in the mirror.

By the way, Jess is this year’s Kent…albeit Kent-lite. Close your mouth, boy. The flies’ll get in.

• Hawk says:

I’m with you, Linda. I don’t always agree with the judges choices (ahem…Miranda going home before Ashley and Ryan), but I’d rather they make the decision if only to avoid a tween meltdown like there often seems to be on Idol (eg. Tamyra, Pia, etc.).

• gemapet says:

Not only judges deciding the Top 8 – but why a bottom 4 instead of a bottom 6!

• postsalot says:

I would guess because with only 5 boy/girl dancers, a bottom six would be putting a big highlight on who the top 2 dancers (votewise) are in each gender.
        Plus with ten dancers, showing 6 in the bottom is a too much.

3. Beth T says:

Did the right people go home? Hell to the no on the girls! Can’t beieve that was unanimous… Didn’t Jordan do the same non-solo she did last night? Nigel really needs to stop trying to make Jordan happen – America ain’t buying it!

• not says:

Completely agree. Why is it Nigel is blind to the fact that Jordan is not connecting with the audience? After dancing in her own genre, she still ended up in the B4, while poor Clarice danced her ass off in a Bollywood number. (I like that they are trying to promote lesser known forms of dance, but it really isn’t fair to saddle a dancer with something so much less accessible to the average viewer and then ignore the fact that this probably contributed to them ending up in the bottom.) It took some time for Clarice to grow on me, but she’s been fabulous the last few weeks (especially in her solos) and I think she was robbed last night.

• djm says:

Sorry, but Clarice is so forgettable and I am THRILLED she went home. I have no idea why people hate on Jordan so much – her routine this week was beautiful and she was amazing in it. Yeah, her solo wasn’t great at all, but at least she’s more memorable than Clarice ever was.

• anon says:

being memorable for wanting to be a pussycat doll does not a SYTYCD champion make.

• damnfingers says:

Oh so true. Even dirty old men such as myself get tired of seeing the same pussycat routine over and over. Jordan needs to mature, Clarice already is and deserved to move forward.

4. Rocky says:

so you’re talking about the two dancers who were sent home yet you include a picture of two other dancers?
    at least you’re consistent slezak. never let quality or accuracy get in the way! you’re probably hoping allison iraheta wins this!

• Michael Slezak says:

The show hasn’t even aired on the west coast. Simmer down now.

• Reena says:

Thought Jordan should have gone home her song choice in for her solo felt a little desperate…either way its going to be hard seeing any of these dancers going home just glad Tadd is safe for now! And can we just have everyone dance with Twitch or Pasha for the rest of the season lol

• Rocky says:

YOU posted the spoiler slezak – stand by it!
        don’t show a pic at all then!
        iraheta for the win!

• Jordan says:

Okay Rocky, I must step in to defend our intrepid reporter now…He posted the picture, that was inaccurate and/or misleading relative to the results, so he could include a picture but not give away tonights outcome with a glance. The RESULTS, at the BOTTOM of his article, thus not given away until the last moment, give people who see the article on the home page or actually open the article a chance to read a bit and decide for themselves whether or not to continue. AND FINALLY – I loved the little gasp I had to live through when I, coyly misled by the photo, had a moment of dismay in thinking that Melanie and Tadd were sent home…again, good journalistic style.

Ok…class over.

• Bob says:

you tell em!

• Jo says:

Or you can all just grow up. Listen — if he posts a picture of the two the go home, you will then just b*itch about him spoiling it for you. So instead he now posts a picture of two other dances and you accuse him of inaccuracy (which isn’t the case at all). So maybe, if you don’t want to know the answer before watching the show, you don’t come over to the site until after you’ve done so. And for all the other complainers — well you all have nothing better to do I guess.

• Linda says:

On the other hand, perhaps Slezak shouldn’t post anything on this site until the show has aired on the West Coast. I really don’t get why writers have to do that before any show has aired on the West coast. Maybe it’s because it would be past their bedtime….??

• DUH says:

does it really matter? anyone who hasn’t seen the episode and is stupid enough to read an article discussing the results deserves to have it spoiled for them. the ONLY WAY for them to know who was eliminated was to click on the article and read it, so it’s no one’s fault but their own.

• Volcfom says:

He does this for every results show, and for Idol, too. I prefer it that way. It doesn’t spoil the result if I haven’t watched yet.

• JayK* says:

Wow, relax Rocky. If he had posted a picture of the people sent home it would have spoiled it for me. I really appreciate that the headlines and pictures don’t spoil.

• sadtroll says:

Nice trolling Rocky. Like anyone would be that clueless! LMAO!

5. agrimesy says:

I think Jordan’s personality is stronger than Clarice’s but they were about even as far as talent is concerned in my opinion, so I’m okay with Clarice going home. I still wish Jordan would grow beyond her “sexy dancer” stereotype.
    ~
    I haven’t paid much attention to Ricky, but I am liking him more and more. I thought Mitchell was a beautiful dancer in his solos a lot like Alexander was, but both failed to impress me as partners.
    ~
    I’m going to predict the final four: Melanie, Sasha, Marko, and Tadd. Wouldn’t that be cool?

• daveym says:

Those are not only my favorites but my choices for Top 4 as well. So does that mean we only have two more weeks of competition left if two people are leaving each week with a final 4 performance show?

• Bee says:

You mention Jordan’s “personality” being stronger than Clarice’s. I totally disagree. Clarice is soft-spoken, somewhat reserved, and mature. This, unfortunately b/c of the “reality tv” demands, comes across as not having a strong personality. But Clarice’s soft demeanor and classiness are amazing, in my opinion. She doesn’t need to mug or be silly or immature (like Jordan) to get the viewers to notice her. Her DANCING is how she expresses herself more vividly and I think she’s outstanding. Very sad and upset to see her go. I’m convinced she was not the girl dancer with the least votes. At least she’s on the tour and perhaps will be an all-star in future seasons…

6. Gill King says:

Lythgoe blatantly insured that Haley Reinhart didn’t have a shot at the AI title, and he’s “tweaking” these results also! How phoney can it all get!
    Melanie is almost a shoe-in to win this season but I have to note that Catelyn (sp) is seriously coming on strong! None of the boys have a shot at this season!

• Lana says:

Melanie is not a shoe in and Jess, Ricky, Marko and Tadd can dance all around Melanie, also little Sasha is pretty damn good so don’t be putting Melanie in the winner spot just yet. They are all soo good that it is hard to call but I am loving that Jess. However any of them would be great, I’m just excited about the shows and all the great dancing we are seeing, and will cry no matter who goes home because they are all so good and yet it is a competition where only one can win. Nigel was right in what he said about the bottom 4 being great but someone has to go. I do wish only one would go now just so the show can go on for a few weeks longer than they plan. Forget the mime dancer being weak, Blush was horrible and it seemed like Snoop was just thrown in to possibly make them seem legit.

• Betsy says:

Totally agree about the musical group. Why torture us?

• Linda says:

I went and watered my garden during the bottom four solos and musical group. I’m not sure why the producers feel they have to have a musical group on each week on a show about dancing. Do they have a dance group on American Idol every week??? NO!! I just don’t get it. I realize they have to have something to fill the time that the judges are deliberating, but what better usage of that time than to put in their shameless plug for Gatorade instead of where they put it now!

• anon says:

The term is shoo-in and has nothing to do with shoes people.

7. Kay says:

Lauren F? Didn’t she win last season? I thought one of Nigel’s rules was no winners in the All-Star pool. He really just makes it up as he goes, doesn’t he?

• Eli says:

That was last year yes, but since they changed the whole allstar concept this year, I do think they reserve the right to change that rule as well ;)

• Teresa says:

I wasn’t aware of a rule about no winners in the All-Stars. If there is (or was) such a rule, what would be the point of it?

I just figured that the winners have better things to do with their time.

8. Darryl says:

Nigel should send Tyce Diorio and his tired “choreography” home. Mitchell and his dancing partner had crap to work with it but then again, it’s not the first time a SYTYCD dancer has been Tyced. Seriously, why do we have to put up with his oh so annoying arrogance and half-baked choreography? I give major props to Neil Patrick Harris for criticizing Tyce’s choreography last night.

9. brynna says:

Jordan should have gone home instead of Clarice. Jordan’s a one trick leg in the air…getting repetitive. Clarice on the other hand did amazing last night…

Either guy could have gone and I’d have been happy.

• Bee says:

Yep, Clarice is a dynamic dancer with energy and surprising moves. Her bollywood and both solos were technically and emotionally amazing. Very sad to see her exit.

• not says:

I agree Jordan’s bag of tricks seems too limited, but more importantly, why did none of the judges (or even Slezak) call her on her several missteps during her dance with Brandon. They weren’t easy to see and I had to rewind my tivo to confirm I was right, but at one point she kicked Brandon’s foot and at another point she lost her footing for a second. I really liked Jordan when there were 20 dancers, but when it got down to 5 girls, she should have been the one to go.

10. Lauren says:

Wow, tonight was just shocking. Jordan has been riding Tadd’s coattails for weeks and now when we finally get a chance to get rid of her underwhelming work and her excessive arabesques the judges snatch it from us. When did the judges change that rule? Was this announced because I for one would have protested volubly. As for Mitchell and Ricky, I didn’t like either of them so I was comfortable with either going home. I’m still in shock that the judges are usurping America’s prerogative. They had their chance to play favorites, it’s our turn now. It’s America’s Favorite dancer, not the judges.

• Jordan says:

Okay, I may be daft, but hasn’t it always been this way until the final three? The public votes the bottom two couples (after we are down to 10), and then the judges, in part to mitigate someone sailing through on sheer popularity, then have the final say of who among the bottom go home.

Then, we get to the bottom three or four (?), and it’s all the public.

• Jo says:

Nope, it used to be in America’s hands completely once it got down to the top 10 until last season.

• David says:

As Nigel pointed out in his tweets is morning, America’s votes have never decided who gets kicked off the show, they decide who STAYS ON the show. Nothing has changed about that.

Why y’all gotta be so negative? :-)

• G-Mom says:

I have been watching SYTYCD since season 1 and, after the top 10 were chosen, the two LOWEST VOTE GETTERS went home. The judges always made a big deal of being relieved that they didn’t have to choose any more. Of course, that changed last year when they picked 5 girls and 5 boys and the ONE with the fewest votes went home each week. They are kinda back with the original plan now. I was just as surprised as you all were when the judges picked the ones leaving last night!
          I do really like the All-Stars, though. I just hope Kent Boyd is one this year!!

11. JVC says:

Slezak,

will next and going forward the judges won’t have a say anymore on who is eliminated and leave up to the voters? I was pissed too that it happened. I really would’ve sent jordan home instead of clarice. I enjoyed clarice’s bollywood dance w/ robert than jordan’s performance w/ brandon. Nigel we better not see this next week or we will be FURIOUS!!!

• David says:

When you or I start paying for the show, then “we” will have the right to be furious. Until then, it’s their show, they make the rules, you get to decide whether to watch or not. The sense of entitlement I’m seeing on all these comment boards is making me ill.

• DUH says:

oh get off your high horse. people can be “furious” all they want. they can do whatever they want with the show, and the people have the right to respond to those changes in the way that they want. it’s hardly a sense of entitlement and methinks you need to look up what that actually means.

• sadtroll says:

I think the all caps multiple exclamation marks version of furious communicates that you don’t take yourself that seriously but you do care about the show and have fune with it.

DUH, entitled fans are a scourge that must be ridiculed. Don’t think JVC’s one of them though.

• David says:

@sadtroll

I certainly may have misunderstood the tone of JVC’s post… I even was thinking that as I hit the “submit your comment” button. But I otherwise stand by what I said. And I think DUH needs to look up what entitilement means, not I.

12. Luna Maya says:

why everyone picking on Jordan!? give her a break! it isn’t like she’s doing lame in the competition, in fact she’s doing great. That’s why the judges kept her, all for the right reason, and not like when they kept Ryan for all the wrong reason.
    So, though it’s a pity that the judges still get to choose who’s going home but I’m happy Jordan stayed.
    Are they running out of all stars? why they always the same?!! they got a whole lot better to choose from : Kameron, Lacey, Travis :D!!, Danny, Gev, Jeanine, Jason, Jakob!!

• tamara says:

I don’t get why they pick on Jordan either. I love her. She hasn’t had a bad dance all season. Only a few solos that were just bleh. But we all know ultimately, thejudges don’t send people home based solely on solos. That’s the reality. I mean, Miranda… hello? best solo dancer so far.

I hope Jordan outlast Caitlynn. But either way, Melanie will surely be the last girl standing :)

• Luna Maya says:

Sure Melanie is great, but don’t you think Sasha is deserve to win more haha.. Melanie’s style, in my opinion, is a very common contemporary we’ve seen before like Kathryn, Allison, Courtney, Kayla, and other bunch of girls from the show. But with Sasha her movement, her style is just unique more like Brandon’s style, it’s artistic, and her performance is hard-hitting but light, effortless, fast, strong, passionate. I don’t think Melanie could ever deliver a hiphop routine like Sasha did :D

• jb says:

A lot of the all-stars aren’t just sitting around waiting for SYTYCD to call them to appear on the show. They’re actually working and trying to make a living.

• Blame Leno! says:

Exactly, I always wonder why people get so upset about the All Stars. The fact is the show has been good for the dancers and many of them have solid careers. SYTYCD is an option now and not a necessity which is a good thing. I’m actually excited for the dancers who are so busy they can’t just drop everything and come back to the show. I’m super excited about Ivan coming back and if the All Stars are changing each week then we may see many more new faces before it’s all over. Plus I know some dancers have no desire to go back to the show for whatever reason so it’s not always that the show isn’t bringing them back some have moved on with their lives and are intersted in coming back.

• Selbs says:

Thank you for mentioning Lacey. I thought she was great and could have been the one to beat her year to join her brother. Unfortunately, she kind of fell apart for some unknown reason. And, speaking of Lacey, she not Chelsie should be an All Star. She’s being treated as poorly on this show as she was on Dancing With The Stars. In addition, why isn’t Kayla from last year an All Star. She was awesome. I don’t think Adam Shankman got over her elimination. I’m afraid Nigel is using the wrong tactics to spruce up the show.

13. fiona says:

I actually thought that when he got the two boys to step forward, that they both would be eliminated. I guess I jumped the gun on that one sigh. I do like jordan but this is how the following weeks is probably going to lay out:

Top 8:
    Bottom 4: Jordan, Caitlynn, Ricky, Jess(or Tadd)
    Eliminated: Jordan and Ricky

Top 6:
    Bottom 4: Caitlynn, Sasha, Jess, Tadd
    Eliminated: Caitlynn and Jess

Top 4: Marko, Melanie, Sasha, Tadd
    Fourth – Tadd
    Third – Sasha
    Second – Melanie
    First – Marko

Okay well the top 4 is hard to choose who’s in what order, but I’d really want Marko to win!

• MoonDoggy says:

Yup, I like Marko to win as well. :-)

• KMG says:

I think you’re pretty close. However, I think it goes like this:
      Top8:
      B4: Jordan, Caitlyn, Jess, Tadd
      Elim: Jordan & Tadd

Top 6:
      B4: Caitlyn, Sasha, Jess, Ricky
      Elim: Caitlyn & Ricky

Top 4: Marko, Melanie, Sasha, Jess
      4th – Jess
      3rd – Sasha
      2nd – Marko
      Winner: Melanie

I’ll do one further, and predict that Melanie will complete the season without ever “randomly” choosing hip-hop out of the hat.

14. Jim says:

Now I kind of want iced tea and Oreos. Thanks, Mike!

While I think the right two dancers went home tonight, I think both are extremely talented and may have progressed further in a past season. Eight strong dancers remain, including one who I think is a star in the making, beyond the dance floor: Melanie. To borrow from another show, she has the X Factor that is just stinkin’ j’adoreable.

Ooh…ice tea flavored filling in a “tropical Oreo.” Yes!

• Meri says:

Melanie is an amazing dancer, but she doesn’t draw me in. I just don’t get the hype over the girls this season. I think Ricky, Jess (as annoying as he can be), and Tadd are far more captivating to watch. They have also been pushed far more out of their element than anything Melanie has been asked to perform.

I agree that she has a definite future in dance, but as for me and my vote…not even thinkin’ about it!

15. Kate says:

Uggg, I can’t stand Jordan. Her dancing is terrible, and she is absolutely nothing more than a one-trick pony. If she was required to keep her right leg down for an entire dance, she would be standing on stage doing nothing. There is a reason she is always in the bottom: AMERICA CAN’T STAND HER!!! Just go home already!

• Linda says:

I’ve never liked Jordan since her audition. Her dance style comes across like some kind of sultry pole dancer who should be dancing in one of those topless bars by the airport!!

• Aunt Sassy says:

Great, and here come the uptight prudes. Why don’t both of you try to get laid and then maybe you’d understand that a little bit of sexuality is not a bad thing.

• Kate says:

I kept my comment to her dancing (if you can call it that and not leg lifts…), but if you want to go there, she is absolutely hideous to look at as well. So effing ugly!

16. Jake says:

As Long as Melanie, Marko, Tadd and Jess make it to the final four im good. Those are my four favorites and i hope one of them wins!

Tonight Ricky and Mitchell should of both gone home.

• fiona says:

only problem is you got 3 boys there

• SMS says:

That is my top 4 as well. I think last season’s final four was 3 guys/1 girl, with the girl, Lauren winning. Sasha may sneak in, and bump Tadd, and I would be ok with that as well.

• Linda says:

Unfortunately last season was totally different in that they started with a Top 10 and All-stars and eliminated only one person a week. It still amounted to the same number of weeks as previous years. You won’t see an uneven number of guys or girls in the bottom 4 this year.

17. Mandy says:

I literally let out a high-pitched squeel when I saw that Ivan will be an all-star next week. I am so curious to see how far he has come. I adored him on the show.
    Good choices on who to go home, but Jordan has to go next week.

• wendeeloo says:

I let out a squeal too when they said Ivan! – Alison and he were the best couple IMHO. If they are allowing Lauren F (who I love) – wouldn’t it be awesome to have Josh or Sabra back?!

18. mdaily says:

I think it should have been Jordan rather than Clarice. Clarice has grown as a dancer on this show consistently, Jordan has not. Really, Nigel has to stop pimping his favorites. I am comfortable with Mitchell going home and believe that he should have gone long before Alexander, and certainly before the fantastic Nick.
    ~
    I still think that this season some serious judging missteps have been made starting with the too early dismissal of Nick and Iveta over Robert and Ashley. I have lost confidence in the judges abilities to make fair assessments based on the actual dancing talents of the competitors. For me, Clarice’s Bollywood, and her Just Amazing with Jess will remain memorable. Alexander’s Coming Home with Sasha and the Stupid they danced to Travis Walls choreography will remain memorable dances. I cannot honestly remember much of what Jordan or Mitchell have done.
    ~
    Caitlynn’s tango was wonderful. She really upped her game with that tango with Pasha. Good for her! And Sasha’s hip hop with Twitch…simply a-maze-ing. You go, girl!

19. JenR says:

Neil!!!!!!!

20. Blank Slate says:

Jordan: Yawn. Yawn. Yawn. Put on a top that truly fits next time. We at home are not impressed. And put that leg down or I am going to find a fire hydrant to permamently attached to your right side.

21. JVC says:

mdaily you’re right about serious judge missteps that have taken place so far this season. Like during the double elimination that kept ryan around instead of helping ricky by having missi or iveta as a partner. I say that because the judges did ricky no favors in having ryan as her partner because the duo never gave a performance that had a wow-factor in my opinion. Ricky gives impression solos but the problem is that I’ve been more impressed w/ his solos than his actual duets. Top 8 he needs to bring it to have any hope of making it to the top 6. I’m sorry for beaten up on ryan but it’s my opinion and it dipped into american idol or even sytycd season 7 jose territory: a weak dancer lasts longer than he/she should have. But I do look forward in seeing these all-stars, nigel leave it up to the voting public top 8 forward.

22. Andrea says:

Don’t kill me here people, but I really think Sasha is over-rated. I did really like her number with Twitch, but her solos are not that great. Everyone on the show acts like she is the second coming and destined for the finals, but I would be fine if she went home. Does anyone else share my opinion or am totally on my limb alone?

• Bee says:

I actually agree. She’s a good dancer, but not as dynamic as Melanie and Clarice, or even Caitlyn. A lot of her moves come off as angular and awkward. She’s the kind of dancer that has “effort” written all over her face and body when she moves. I don’t think she’ll make it to the final four, and would be fine with her going home anytime.

• Linda says:

I agree as well. Though I love Sasha’s dancing her movements seem almost jerky and exsaggerated with a touch of anger. For a contemporary dancer she doesn’t seem to have the fluidity that the other girls such as Melanie have.

• algalhi says:

I looove Sasha! She puts so much emotion into her movements. I don’t find her movements to be awkward or jerky. Her Coming Home routine moved me to tears, which doesn’t happen often. And this week’s breakfast was awesome! She’s not a “delicate” dancer – she is woman, hear her roar! Her downfall may be that on a show like this, being sweet may be valued more than being empowered (but I hope not).

23. Cassandra says:

The problem with Clarice is that she makes little impression on the viewer, so I was fine with her going. The last 2 girls standing will be Melanie and Sasha but I have been liking Caitlyn these past few weeks. I don’t connect with Jess- I enjoyed his audition but on the live shows I don’t feel conviction. And I agreed with Neil Patrick last night, his facial expressions when dancing, bug me. Ricky is an excellent soloist but he needs to put that intensity in his duos.

24. Bee says:

ADE!!!!! I’m so thrilled he’ll be dancing next week…let’s hope it’s with Melanie or Caitlyn. Either of those will be an amazing partnership.

What was Lauren F.’s genre? I remember her doing quite well in everything! Maybe contemp/jazz…I don’t remember. Interesting to see her as an all-star, I hope she’s paired with Jess—perfect stature fit!

25. Gord says:

No mention of the worst thing ever to be on television, aka the Blush + Snoop performance? Was it so horrible that Slezak has blocked it out using some sort of PTSD-like mechanism?

26. ASH says:

What??! Nothing written about that awful performance by Blush featuring Snoop Dogg?? I need some snarky comments, Michael Slezak.

27. sarah says:

We see Twitch all the time, which don’t get em wrong I don’t mind. I love Twitch! But what happened to Joshua? He won that season and we never see him on the show anymore…

28. Teresa says:

I remember Nigel changing rules before this. The most memorable for me was when a dancer had to step into the top 20 (he had been cut just before the finals) to sub for an injured finalist. With insufficient rehearsal time, he did his best but was eliminated.

Nigel announced that he had spoken to “the producers” (maybe it was Fox?) and got an exception so that the dancer would be able to re-audition, and, if he made the cut, become a finalist in a future season.

He also kept changing things in Season 7 so that the judges made decisions long after eliminations were supposed to be up to voters. I think he got mad at us because people kept voting for Robert and Adechike.

29. George says:

I really thought that when we got to the top 10 that the eliminations would be one at a time, and not 1 guy and 1 girl. What made season 7 so interesting and exciting was the “lopsided” eliminations that gave us an imbalance of male to female dancers. This forced the choreographers to think outside the box (in regards to the “stories” behind their routines). As a result, we were treated to “Mad World”, “This Is How It Ends” and “Get Outta Your Mind”. Sadly, it appears that Uncle Nigel & Co. have their hearts set on squashing all same-sex dances, allowing the choreographers to slip back into auto-pilot regarding their routines (“This is the story of a couple falling in love” or “This is the story of a couple falling out of live”). *Sigh*

30. Barry says:

Can’t really argue with the bottom 4. Mitchell was doomed the minute he started that heinous Tyce number so that was a given. With Melanie & Shasha being invincible and Caitlynn dancing with Pasha the B2 girls was no surprise but I’d have kicked Jordan. Clarice’s problem was that in the Bollywood she may have been great but who could take their eyes off of Robert? Excited to see Ivan next week. Mike – not even a single snarky comment about Blush? Possibly the worst guest musical performance is SYTYCD history – not a single note on pitch!

31. Darryl says:

It’s a shame that Mitchell became another victim of Tyce’s oh so tired choreography. I’m surprised the vote was unanimous. After the way Neil verbally b-slapped Tyce on Wednesday, and rightly so, I’m surprised he just went along with Mary and Nigel when it came to the final vote. I think Mitchell’s a better dancer than Ricky and combined with being saddled with Tyce, Ricky should’ve gone home.

32. wendeeloo says:

Michael – How about when NPH mentioned how great the group numbers are compared to “other show’s results nights”? – He’s got to be referring to Idol I think – And there sits Nigel….(tee-hee)

33. Trisha says:

Philistine.

34. Vivi says:

Melanie and Marko are getting overrated. I do like them as dancers, they are superb dancers. But compared to the greatness we’ve seen throughout the series? No. Anywho, I will not be surprised at all if neither of them wins. There are way too many dancers in this competition that are just as talented as those two. With the right choreography/routine, those dancers can leap frog over M & M. In fact, just last week Caitlyn and Sasha and (in my opinion) Ricky outdanced both of them. Both in routine & solo. Also, yes, they were great as a couple but name a routine of theirs this season that can compare to the great routines done by Joshua/Katee, Chelsea/Mark, Brandon/Jeanne, etc. It doesn’t hold a candle.

• Jordan says:

Vivi – totally agree with you about Katee/Joshua, Chelsea/Mark (not as much Brandon and Jeanine, although I’m not sure why). For me, these two couples will always be hard to top because of the combination of their “It” factor, as individuals AND as couples.

And too, the choreographers that were active in their seasons – particularly, Mia and Wade Robson. I just don’t think these two can be beat for what they deliver in choreography or in how they touch the heart and soul of the dancers they work with.

35. Vivi says: