Comic-Con

Psych First Look: The Season 6 Scene Everyone Will Be Talking About! Plus, Musical Update!

Psych fans who were, well, psyched about my colleague Matt Mitovich’s scoop last week that the USA Network series will return to the airwaves in October have another reason to do the happy dance right this very second. We’ve got a clip from the show’s upcoming sixth season – unveiled at the Psych panel at Comic-Con on Thursday afternoon —  that’ll have your jaw hanging somewhere in the vicinity of your keyboard. I don’t want to give too much away, but let’s just say the scene involves a polygraph test, a declaration of love, and a question our protagonist Shawn Spencer (James Roday) really, really, really doesn’t want to answer. (Oh, and scroll down past the video for some added info revealed at Comic-Con about upcoming guest stars, the long-rumored Psych musical episode, and a denouement to the serial-killer arc.)

Comic-Con Video Q&A: Psych Stars Share Wedding Twists, Shocking Discoveries and a Major Diss From Smurf Village

But before that, press play below, and remember that if you’re not actually in attendance at Comic-Con, no worries! Follow our TV-obsessed team — @MichaelAusiello, @MegMasters, and @VladaGelman — for up-to-the-minute scoop on all your favorites.

Loading video...

In other news from the Psych panel…

* Series creator Steve Franks admits he spoke a little too quickly about Psych getting in touch with its inner Broadway baby. “I’m a big liar because I promised them the episode we were shooting on Monday [would be a musical episode],” he said. Shortly thereafter, howeverm Franks realized he couldn’t write music that quickly, so the song-and-dance act won’t happen till the Season 7 premiere.

* The serial killer arc is wrapped up, but Roday says there’ll be “something creepy” toward the end of the coming season. Adds Franks: “You’ll be shocked.”

* On the docket as Season 6 guest stars: Anthony Anderson, Jennifer Finnigan, Tony Hale, Cary Elwes, Jaleel White, Kenan Thompson, Joey McIntyre, Buffy‘s Tom Lenk, Malcolm McDowell, Michael Trucco, Diedrich Bader, Jason Priestley, Wade Boggs, Molly Ringwald, Corey Feldman, Danny Glover, and William Shatner.

Now hit the comments with your thoughts on this juicy piece of Psych!

–Additional reporting by Vlada Gelman

1. Kate says:

YES! October, why must you be so far away??

• Corrine says:

Agreed! My jaw literally dropped watching that clip.

• #1 PSYCH FAN!!!!!!!! says:

O.M.G!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I am expieriencing psych withdraw and I MUST SEE THAT EPISODE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I NEED TO KNOW WHAT HAPPENS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

• Amber says:

prolly to add a huge twist maybe he’ll say no but it’ll be a lie or maybe lassiter will stop it before it’s too late. I just know that shawn and jules better stay together till the end of psych!

• #1 Psych fan!!!!!!!!!!! says:

NEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEED PSYCH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! This clip is sooooooooooooooooo unfair!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I wanted to scream at the end!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I MUST HAVE PSYCH BEFORE I DIEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! OCTOBER HURRY YOUR BUTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Sorry for all my “yelling” but I can’t live without Psych!!!!!! And btw I love you James Roday! I am very sad that I’m too young for you:(

2. Kim says:

I can’t believe they’re gonna leave us hanging on that question until October! Not Right!!!!

• indy says:

My guess is he will say “YES” and the polygraph won’t show a lie, because he’s actually answering to his dad:
      Henry: You have to answer that one, Shawn.
      Shawn: Yes (I do).

• Pysch stalker (trey) says:

actually they left us hanging on that question till october before you saw that clip if you saw the last episode of season five, when lassiter gets the lie detector, and at the end of the episode calls sean in for questioning with it. Most people would know the only question lassiter actually cared about “Are you psychic?”

3. Rae says:

Oh man! That was all kinds of awesome. WHY CAN’T I HAVE PSYCH NOW?!! *cries* Gah! I desperately miss this show. I hate you USA. Your new shows are stupid and lame and I neeeeeeeeed Psych now. Don’t think I don’t hold grudges…just ask the CW and ABCFamily.

• PsychoPsychFan says:

well there wouldn’t be psych if it weren’t for USA so yeah u can see season 1-4 on play instantly netflix and can mailorder the DVDs 4 season 5

4. laura says:

please say this is in the first episode!

5. Cass says:

Had to rewatch the clip a second time. SO. VERY. EXCITED. FOR. SEASON. 6! What an amazing show.

6. E says:

Ahhhhh I can’t wait until October for Psych to start. The show pretty much has ran year long before. Why oh why do we have to wait so long. This is the only show that I find myself laughing out loud to

7. Jamie says:

Corey Feldman twice! Nice!
    But seriously… Tom Lenk!!!!!

8. Gin says:

Awesome!! But is there a reason why Feldman was listed twice?

9. Zak says:

I just started to re-watch my Psych DVD’s and I was wondering how long until Shawn would be forced to answer that question, granted I figure he be under oath testifying on one of his cases he solved.

10. heather_kaye says:

SWOOT! Seeing a clip just makes it more real.

11. Brenna says:

Shules!!! I cannot wait for this :)

12. mst3k says:

Corey Feldman will guest star twice?

13. Kimberly says:

I am going to join in with everybody else and say I can’t believe we have to wait until October! That is so mean, but at the same time, it looks like it is going to be so worth it.

14. Mikaylah says:

Maybe he could fool the lie detector… But then maybe Jules would be sad because she would think he didn’t really mean he loved her. I can’t wait for the new season to start!

15. Cameron says:

Danny Glover! Awesome.

16. Kathy says:

Something tells me that one is from the Hangover episode! Dang it, October needs to get here now!

17. Renee says:

Oh, I soooo want a sequel to ‘American Duos’ – except this time the Tim Curry-less judges actually think Shawn & Gus are ‘emotionally perfect’ and definitely ‘in it to win it.’ (Gus: ‘We’re really not.’) They would need to bring the amazing Gina Gershon back – she deserved an Emmy last time. But we need a ‘steven tyler’ – maybe Dave Grohl would do it? Or Jon Bon Jovi??

18. murley says:

tom lenk!! in a long list of awesome guest stars i am most excited about tom lenk. followed closely by tony hale.

19. indy says:

Can’t wait for Cary Elwes and Malcolm McDowell :D

20. hunter says:

That scene looks really well shot…do they have a new DP?

21. Carrie says:

Man, I’m dying for new episodes. I love this show!

22. valu says:

ahhhhhhhh I need more episodess! I need Psych!

23. Justis says:

There are certain times where it is not acceptable to leave a open ended preview..this is one of those times…grr…how I long for October.

24. Anna says:

Awwww this scene is so cute. Plus the cliffhanger… not fair to make us wait for October but i can’t wait… i love psych!!!!!!!!!!!

25. Spike says:

Aww. His dad just gave him an out. Here’s hoping Shawn catches his Dad’s prompt and answers him truthfully to get out of Lassiter’s question.

26. lindsey says:

Wow, that scene was amazing! But having to wait until October and now I have this cliffhanger. Jules was so cute when she peaked to see the answer.
    And good catch for those who say the Dad might have given him an out. I didn’t think of that.

27. Denise Dalmas says:

Sooooo psyched for October! Too far away. Really psyched about the list of guest stars. Should be a great season!

28. Marlene says:

AHHHH!!! I just want to see the rest! Can’t wait for October! This season is going to rock! Sorry for all the exclamation points.

29. Kelly says:

Awesome! I can not wait. I hate that it doesn’t air to Oct. It stinks that great shows like Psych,Eureka,etc all have way too long breaks between new episodes.

30. Annie says:

WOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOH! :D

31. Tiffany says:

Nooooooo!!! They can’t leave us hanging there until October!!! Oh, USA Network, why must you be so cruel with your scheduling?!

32. Debbie says:

Steve Franks said that the musical ep would have to wait till the season 7 premiere, so there WILL be a season 7, just in case there was any doubt! AWESOME clip!!!!!

• Tiffany says:

Jeff Wachtel made sure to clarify that. Psych’s not guaranteed a season 7; it’s still going to need renewal-worthy ratings. So let’s all make sure to get Nielsen viewers to watch!

33. Laugh says:

I think it shows soo much faith in this show that they are willing to wait and put it up against the big boys in the fall! Emmys ’12 here we come! Leave room for Roday and Dule in Lead Actor category. Whaaat? Steve Carell will make a slot available.

34. Katey says:

the first time I heard of pysch, I was in target with my cousin. He picked it up off the shelf and I was like what is that??? After the first show I was hooked. James Rodey is my cousins hero. I love him too. I LOVE U PYSCH!!!

35. alisha says:

Somebody pls put this on youtube… I cant watch as its not loading in my system and the comments are driving me crazy!! I just love the show…

36. Julia says:

October means that school will have started up again, but I don’t care! I want October to come now because that means Psych will be here! I can’t wait, and I wish this video wasn’t a cliffhanger!

37. Karen B says:

He might go a route like, “I see things that others do not. Make connections that others do not. Call it what you will.” Something like that.

38. Melynda says:

That looks awesome. My Summer has seriously been lacking because of Psych being put off until the Fall. Like everyone’s mentioned, October is so very far away and that’s a cruel preview. I’ll just have to be content with White Collar, which is fine. I am glad to see Cary Elwes will be back again though.

39. Megan says:

This show is so underated! It’s one of the best on television. I don’t understand how shows like Grey’s Anatomy are so popular, yet genious shows like Psych are ignored. It boggles the mind!

40. Suhara says:

Had to re-watch the clip several times, because I didn’t hear anything after “You’re just gonna have to deal with the fact that I love her!”
    * Fireworks * <3

41. Zala says:

I thought the big thing was him saying he loves Jules. I was like duhh, we all know that :D I can’t wait til October to see this :o

42. 80sfan says:

From the footage that I have seen from Comic Con so far this panel has generated more excitement than any other. LOVE IT!

43. Charlie Griffin says:

…I would just finish my time machine and go to the future and watch all the new episodes and then return…but I broke my time machine and it’s estimated time of being fixed is actually October!

44. Psych-o says:

OMG!! This is awesome!!!! Can’t wait to see what he says!! Oh and I loves Juliet’s face after the he said he loved her!! <3

45. GGbuttersnaps says:

They tor
    ture us with this clip, wish I knew magic so I could fast forward time

46. check1-2 says:

i think that this is the season finale, but somewhere during season 6 shawn either tells Juliet or she finds out, cause she didnt look surprised when Gus changes his tag…

47. JP says:

This will be the opening episode or the 2nd one

48. Emma says:

My birthday is in September but I would gladly blow up that oh so very long god damned month myself, then have to wait another 30 or so days for October to come around
    PS awww Shawn loves Jules, stick that in your squirrel-shooting gun Lassie

49. dimlit says:

I vote Shawn says yes- I’m sure his Dad must’ve taught him how to fake a polygraph. It’s not actually that hard.

• Joey says:

Yeah He will either say Yes and beat the polygraph or he’ll get out of answering the question either way theres 2 more seasons so if he did say no that wouldnt be the end

50. just another psych-o says:

I’ve been watching lots of old episodes just to tide me over until October 12. In my planner, that day ihas little pineapples all around it!!!!! I agre with everyone else: why does the wait have to be so loooooooooong……….?