Glee's Darren Criss Eyed To Succeed Daniel Radcliffe On Broadway: What About Blaine?

Get More: Casting News, Glee, News

The news is brimming with symbolism — Darren Criss, the young actor who portrayed Harry Potter in viral online videos, may step in for the actor who played the boy wizard on the big screen.

I hear that Criss, a breakout star of Fox’s hit dramedy Glee, is poised to make his Broadway debut, succeeding Daniel Radcliffe as the lead in the musical How To Succeed In Business Without Really Trying. Negotiations between Criss and the musical’s producers, Craig Zadan and Neil Meron and Broadway Across America, are expected to begin shortly after Glee co-creator/executive producer Ryan Murphy and the series’ producing studio 20th Century Fox TV gave Criss their blessing for the stint. (I hear Murphy even encouraged the actor, who made his processional stage debut at age 10, to fulfill his Broadway dream).

If a deal is made, Criss will replace Radcliffe when…. (Visit our sister site Deadline.com for further details.)

Comments (50)

• OMFG!!! well done darren!!! you’re a theatrical boy!!

Comment by maru – July 21, 2011 04:14 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • That’s good for Darren Criss but is Dan’s contract up with the show? What’s he going to do next?

Comment by English – July 21, 2011 04:15 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I’d also be curious to hear if anyone knows what Dan’s next project is…. whatever it is, I’m sure it will be spectacular.

Comment by sam – July 21, 2011 04:26 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I could be wrong but I believe Dan’s contract is up sometime in the beginning of next year. And he has one movie that I can recall coming out next year and sure he will be in another after his run is over in H2S. :)

Congrats to Darren if he gets to the stage!!!

Comment by Monica – July 21, 2011 07:59 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Yes, Dan’s contract is up in Jan, he’s got a movie shoot lined up for February.

Comment by E – July 21, 2011 10:02 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I’m happy for him, but this is just another reason for fans to coincide him with the Harry Potter franchise.

Comment by Anthony Newhall – July 21, 2011 04:20 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I hope he’ll be a big success on Broadway and leave Glee forever. I wish Darren well, but I CANNOT STAND Blaine.

Comment by wendi – July 21, 2011 04:23 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • My sentiments exactly!
      Darren Criss is dreamy, but his character on Glee is not that great.

Comment by MrsCriss – July 22, 2011 08:47 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I love Blaine’s character!

Comment by Malana – July 25, 2011 04:46 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • THIS IS AMAZING NEWS!!! I’ve watched him and his small Michigan theatre troupe (Starkid) since they first released AVPM, and I am so proud to see how far he’s come. I could not be happier for you, Darren!!

Comment by sam – July 21, 2011 04:24 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Darren has come far! He does so many things at once now, I heard a CD is in the works too :D Darren Criss is like a Redvine, what the hell can’t he do LOL

Comment by Mugwump – September 1, 2011 07:27 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • His voice and acting is WAY to mediocre to be on broadway, but hey, if they let Ashley Simpson do a musical…

Comment by Lianne – July 21, 2011 04:25 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Wow, Lianne. Congratulations on being the only person in America who feels that way. Sheesh.

Comment by Jesse – July 21, 2011 04:29 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • Nope, tons of theatre professionals (myself included) cannot stand his voice or his acting style. He really needs to read up on some Adler before he tries a Broadway debut.

Comment by Jenna – July 21, 2011 04:32 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
        • THANK YOU!! I was almost losing faith in the world…

Comment by Lianne – July 21, 2011 04:37 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • wow, Jesse, I thought only fangirls couldn’t read critics, but maybe I’m wrong (about THIS)
        You really think he is a good actor? Like, REALLY?????

Comment by Lianne – July 21, 2011 04:35 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
        • Wow really?? Darren is a truly talented actor and singer. Just because you don’t like him on tv doesn’t mean he doesn’t deserve this new job. Every person that has seen him grow into this superstar knows he would be perfect for it.

Comment by Karina – July 21, 2011 05:07 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • Jesse, I like Darren but pretending like no one in the world hates him is just ridiculous.

Comment by Captain – July 21, 2011 05:00 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • Oh, yes, only ONE person in America isn’t impressed with Darren’s off-key warbling and mugging for the camera.

Comment by Ang – July 21, 2011 05:56 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Well, I second that. I’m not a big fan of his either. I don’t think he’s a great actor and his frenetic bouncing around all over the set when he performs drives me crazy.

Comment by anon – July 22, 2011 05:37 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • I totally agree. Love starkid and everything they do but in no universe is Darren a replacement for Dan. This all sounds more like Fangirl fantasy than fact.

Comment by aussiedude – July 22, 2011 06:10 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
        • if you actually take the time to read the articles you’d know that both the producers of the show & DC’s rep have confirmed they are in negotiations & that Fox & Ryan Murphy signed off on even allowing the producers to talk to Darren in the first place.

Comment by Lea – July 22, 2011 04:50 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • I do have a soft spot for Darren , And I think that partially because he is so young and he is trying to keep things light and endearing, But my god the twitching gets too hard to watch. One of the first interviews I saw with him, I was a little mortified for him. If he has time to work really hard for broadway I’m sure he can pull it off, it’s only for what a month? Plus he’s man-gorgeous so he’s got that going for him.

Comment by Sarah – October 15, 2011 07:03 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Wow. What about Chris Colfer? Broadway World commented on June 17, that there were rumours about him playing J. Pierrepont Finch in the future.
    Did Darren beat him out in the castings?
    I’m kinda upset sorry guys.
    Would have loved to see Chris on Broadway but there are many other roles and I’m sure he’ll get his chance as well. :)
    So no hate. Good for you Darren.

Comment by Renny – July 21, 2011 04:28 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Broadway World got it wrong – the rumors were that a Glee cast member had been approached & they assumed it was Chris. Chris doesn’t even have the right voice for the role.

Comment by Ecka – July 22, 2011 04:52 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I’m so happy to see Darren getting the props he deserves. This is amazing. Go Darren!!!

Comment by Jesse – July 21, 2011 04:31 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Y A W N. Yet another reason for kids to associate a mediocre actor with the Harry Potter franchise.

Please step away from my favorite musical, Darren, and go BACK TO YOUTUBE.

Comment by Delilah – July 21, 2011 04:33 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • You gotta be kidding me, he has no talent to be on Brodway, but if this means he won’t be on glee that much I support him.

Comment by Jean – July 21, 2011 04:56 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Don’t you think you’re being a tad harsh by saying he has no talent… I mean I’m all for having your own opinion and all but he does have talent even if you don’t like his specific kind(just listen to some of his original songs).Also I’ve enjoyed his time on glee, and think he was a great addition; I will be sad to see him go.

Comment by Harsh much – July 21, 2011 07:54 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • read the article, he’ll only be gone an episode or so.

Comment by E – July 21, 2011 10:04 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I’ve never liked his character on Glee. And I think he has middling talent.

Comment by anon – July 22, 2011 05:39 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • You gotta be kidding me, he has no talent to be on Broadway, but if this means he won’t be on Glee that much I support him.

Comment by Jean – July 21, 2011 04:57 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I dislike Glee and I have mixed feelings about “How to Succeed.” That being said, I really do think Darren is talented. Any screen time he pulls away from Matt Morrison can only be a good thing.

Comment by Sam – July 21, 2011 05:31 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I have to agree with your Matt Morrison comment. I really don’t like when he performs a number as I don’t think he’s that talented, mostly in the dance department. When he’s doing some of the choreography I think to myself he looks like he’s trying to be young and hip and failing at it.

Comment by anon – July 22, 2011 05:42 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I am always amazed at how many people feel the need to post negative comments on these web sites! I think Darren would be a fine replacement for Daniel R. Broadway is as much about selling tickets as it is about talent. If this replacement keeps the show on Broadway for another year or two all the better. Everyone should have the experience of a live Broadway show least once in their lives. It is one of the most amazing forms of entertainment. So happy that thru Glee another generation will learn about, and enjoy this unique for of entertainment called “Broadway”!!

Comment by Jane – July 21, 2011 05:33 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I guess they’ll let anyone on Broadway these days. Daniel Radcliffe better watch his back… I’m getting some SWF vibes here.

Oh well, I truly hope he finds success with his Broadway and movie career and that Ryan Murphy continues to be accommodating and allows him to pursue his dream away from Glee. :-)

Comment by LOL – July 21, 2011 05:55 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Well, that’s awfully poetic.

Comment by Frenchie – July 21, 2011 07:22 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I for one love the haters. No really..its like karmaic justice to watch them hate more and he keeps winning more. So please hate hate and more hate. The more these idiots hate the more he keeps succeeding.

Comment by sus – July 22, 2011 01:37 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Wow so much bitchiness towards Darren on this wall, i thought everyone buzzed off him! Anyways im not the biggest Blaine fan but i do think Darren is talented enough for Broadway, and lets not forget who he is succeeding, Daniel Radcliffle one of the most wooden actors of his generation (well for how successful he is) and the fact that he hasnt had many good reviews for the musical is probably why they are letting him go!

Comment by Kate – July 22, 2011 01:39 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I must agree with you comrade! Good grief, Darren is on that one wall of celebrities with rising popularity and he has been going to bigger and bigger things! I am so proud of him since I have been watching him since Starkid to become so big :)

Next I also agree that I don’t really like Blaine /BUT/ that is because glee has crap writing and doesn’t give any actor anything to work with anyway…

I didn’t know that HTSIBWRT got bad reviews with Dan but as much as it pains me to admit I didn’t like Dan’s acting except in the last 2 films, not a good record.

Comment by Mugwump – September 1, 2011 07:24 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • LMAO! Y’all are acting like Darren Criss is replacing Brando on Broadway. Let’s be real: Daniel Radcliffe is a lousy actor. He’s been terrible in the Harry Potter films where his only merit is resembling the character (re-watch the “emotional” scene in Azkhaban where he screams, “He was their friend!” It’s as bad as watching hair models trying to emote on Days of Our Lives) and he’s even worse onstage where the craft demands more. So whether or not you think Criss is talented (I personally think he is), it’s not like he has major shoes to fill here! Even if he’s mediocre, that will still be better than Radciffe.

Hell Radcliffe was so bad that even enormous name recognition couldn’t secure him a Tony nomination (and usually it does with that star-whoring committee).

Comment by Jase – July 22, 2011 03:09 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Hey jesse, Daniel Radcliffe is a great actor, and is perfect in his Harry Potter roles. No doubt he is excellent in this broadway musical. Darren can stay on Glee.

Comment by BillyBob – July 22, 2011 08:59 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • actually DanRad’s crap in the Broadway production, & he didn’t get very good reviews.

Comment by R – July 22, 2011 04:54 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I like Darren Criss but if I had to choose between him and Daniel Radcliffe, it would DEFINITLEY (how do you spell that???) be Dan!!!! Darren can just back off because he is better on Glee. GO DAN!!!!!!!! <3

Comment by BillyBob – July 22, 2011 08:56 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • That’s awesome news! I hope and pray this means that Blaine won’t be back on Glee next season. I can’t stand his storyline with Kurt.

Comment by Rex – July 22, 2011 03:43 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • They are both talented young men. I wish them both good fortune. Be happy for people if they get a lucky break! Karma has a way of coming back to you in the same form you let it out.

Comment by Debbie – July 24, 2011 01:41 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I’m a big fan of Darren, and am glad he’s finally reaching his goal of being on Broadway. But I agree that it’s impossible to pretend that no one in the world is unhappy about it. Opinions are opinions afterall. All I see is a guy who is just trying to reach his goals, and frankly, I couldn’t be more hapy for him! Congrats to Darren, and I look forward to seeing more of his face in the future. :)

Comment by Georgia – July 25, 2011 05:11 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I like your attitude and common sense about the matter. :)

Comment by Mugwump – September 1, 2011 07:31 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I think Darren would do well on Broadway. :) I mean, he’s even said that he likes live performing much more than things on film, so I think he’d be happier if anything. I think he has tons of talent and might be one of those actors from this generation that people remember. :) Good luck Darren!

Comment by Amber – July 26, 2011 06:35 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Well Iv read most of the comments here and this is what I have to say-take it or leave I could care less-

Daniel Radcliffe is not the best actor in the world, that being said he has deffintly improved over the last 3 HP film alot. Also, I think he is a very good at comedy. I also think he does a very good job in How to succeed. But none of this really has anything to do with Darrin….who I think is fun and would make a good finch also. He has a good voice, and alot of people know of him now thanks to Glee.

Comment by Maggie – July 28, 2011 01:53 PM PDT  Reply To This Post