Glee's Darren Criss Eyed To Succeed Daniel Radcliffe On Broadway: What About Blaine?

The news is brimming with symbolism — Darren Criss, the young actor who portrayed Harry Potter in viral online videos, may step in for the actor who played the boy wizard on the big screen.

I hear that Criss, a breakout star of Fox’s hit dramedy Glee, is poised to make his Broadway debut, succeeding Daniel Radcliffe as the lead in the musical How To Succeed In Business Without Really Trying. Negotiations between Criss and the musical’s producers, Craig Zadan and Neil Meron and Broadway Across America, are expected to begin shortly after Glee co-creator/executive producer Ryan Murphy and the series’ producing studio 20th Century Fox TV gave Criss their blessing for the stint. (I hear Murphy even encouraged the actor, who made his processional stage debut at age 10, to fulfill his Broadway dream).

If a deal is made, Criss will replace Radcliffe when…. (Visit our sister site Deadline.com for further details.)

TAGS: , ,
GET MORE: Casting News, Glee, News

1. maru says:

OMFG!!! well done darren!!! you’re a theatrical boy!!

2. English says:

That’s good for Darren Criss but is Dan’s contract up with the show? What’s he going to do next?

• sam says:

I’d also be curious to hear if anyone knows what Dan’s next project is…. whatever it is, I’m sure it will be spectacular.

• Monica says:

I could be wrong but I believe Dan’s contract is up sometime in the beginning of next year. And he has one movie that I can recall coming out next year and sure he will be in another after his run is over in H2S. :)

Congrats to Darren if he gets to the stage!!!

• E says:

Yes, Dan’s contract is up in Jan, he’s got a movie shoot lined up for February.

3. Anthony Newhall says:

I’m happy for him, but this is just another reason for fans to coincide him with the Harry Potter franchise.

4. wendi says:

I hope he’ll be a big success on Broadway and leave Glee forever. I wish Darren well, but I CANNOT STAND Blaine.

5. sam says:

THIS IS AMAZING NEWS!!! I’ve watched him and his small Michigan theatre troupe (Starkid) since they first released AVPM, and I am so proud to see how far he’s come. I could not be happier for you, Darren!!

• Mugwump says:

Darren has come far! He does so many things at once now, I heard a CD is in the works too :D Darren Criss is like a Redvine, what the hell can’t he do LOL

6. Lianne says:

His voice and acting is WAY to mediocre to be on broadway, but hey, if they let Ashley Simpson do a musical…

• Jesse says:

Wow, Lianne. Congratulations on being the only person in America who feels that way. Sheesh.

• Jenna says:

Nope, tons of theatre professionals (myself included) cannot stand his voice or his acting style. He really needs to read up on some Adler before he tries a Broadway debut.

• Lianne says:

wow, Jesse, I thought only fangirls couldn’t read critics, but maybe I’m wrong (about THIS)
        You really think he is a good actor? Like, REALLY?????

• Karina says:

Wow really?? Darren is a truly talented actor and singer. Just because you don’t like him on tv doesn’t mean he doesn’t deserve this new job. Every person that has seen him grow into this superstar knows he would be perfect for it.

• Captain says:

Jesse, I like Darren but pretending like no one in the world hates him is just ridiculous.

• Ang says:

Oh, yes, only ONE person in America isn’t impressed with Darren’s off-key warbling and mugging for the camera.

• anon says:

Well, I second that. I’m not a big fan of his either. I don’t think he’s a great actor and his frenetic bouncing around all over the set when he performs drives me crazy.

• aussiedude says:

I totally agree. Love starkid and everything they do but in no universe is Darren a replacement for Dan. This all sounds more like Fangirl fantasy than fact.

• Lea says:

if you actually take the time to read the articles you’d know that both the producers of the show & DC’s rep have confirmed they are in negotiations & that Fox & Ryan Murphy signed off on even allowing the producers to talk to Darren in the first place.

• Sarah says:

I do have a soft spot for Darren , And I think that partially because he is so young and he is trying to keep things light and endearing, But my god the twitching gets too hard to watch. One of the first interviews I saw with him, I was a little mortified for him. If he has time to work really hard for broadway I’m sure he can pull it off, it’s only for what a month? Plus he’s man-gorgeous so he’s got that going for him.

7. Renny says:

Wow. What about Chris Colfer? Broadway World commented on June 17, that there were rumours about him playing J. Pierrepont Finch in the future.
    Did Darren beat him out in the castings?
    I’m kinda upset sorry guys.
    Would have loved to see Chris on Broadway but there are many other roles and I’m sure he’ll get his chance as well. :)
    So no hate. Good for you Darren.

• Ecka says:

Broadway World got it wrong – the rumors were that a Glee cast member had been approached & they assumed it was Chris. Chris doesn’t even have the right voice for the role.

8. Jesse says:

I’m so happy to see Darren getting the props he deserves. This is amazing. Go Darren!!!

9. Delilah says:

Y A W N. Yet another reason for kids to associate a mediocre actor with the Harry Potter franchise.

Please step away from my favorite musical, Darren, and go BACK TO YOUTUBE.

10. Jean says:

You gotta be kidding me, he has no talent to be on Brodway, but if this means he won’t be on glee that much I support him.

• Harsh much says:

Don’t you think you’re being a tad harsh by saying he has no talent… I mean I’m all for having your own opinion and all but he does have talent even if you don’t like his specific kind(just listen to some of his original songs).Also I’ve enjoyed his time on glee, and think he was a great addition; I will be sad to see him go.

• E says:

read the article, he’ll only be gone an episode or so.

• anon says:

I’ve never liked his character on Glee. And I think he has middling talent.

11. Jean says:

You gotta be kidding me, he has no talent to be on Broadway, but if this means he won’t be on Glee that much I support him.

12. Sam says:

I dislike Glee and I have mixed feelings about “How to Succeed.” That being said, I really do think Darren is talented. Any screen time he pulls away from Matt Morrison can only be a good thing.

• anon says:

I have to agree with your Matt Morrison comment. I really don’t like when he performs a number as I don’t think he’s that talented, mostly in the dance department. When he’s doing some of the choreography I think to myself he looks like he’s trying to be young and hip and failing at it.

13. Jane says:

I am always amazed at how many people feel the need to post negative comments on these web sites! I think Darren would be a fine replacement for Daniel R. Broadway is as much about selling tickets as it is about talent. If this replacement keeps the show on Broadway for another year or two all the better. Everyone should have the experience of a live Broadway show least once in their lives. It is one of the most amazing forms of entertainment. So happy that thru Glee another generation will learn about, and enjoy this unique for of entertainment called “Broadway”!!

14. LOL says:

I guess they’ll let anyone on Broadway these days. Daniel Radcliffe better watch his back… I’m getting some SWF vibes here.

Oh well, I truly hope he finds success with his Broadway and movie career and that Ryan Murphy continues to be accommodating and allows him to pursue his dream away from Glee. :-)

15. Frenchie says:

Well, that’s awfully poetic.

16. sus says:

I for one love the haters. No really..its like karmaic justice to watch them hate more and he keeps winning more. So please hate hate and more hate. The more these idiots hate the more he keeps succeeding.

17. Kate says:

Wow so much bitchiness towards Darren on this wall, i thought everyone buzzed off him! Anyways im not the biggest Blaine fan but i do think Darren is talented enough for Broadway, and lets not forget who he is succeeding, Daniel Radcliffle one of the most wooden actors of his generation (well for how successful he is) and the fact that he hasnt had many good reviews for the musical is probably why they are letting him go!

• Mugwump says:

I must agree with you comrade! Good grief, Darren is on that one wall of celebrities with rising popularity and he has been going to bigger and bigger things! I am so proud of him since I have been watching him since Starkid to become so big :)

Next I also agree that I don’t really like Blaine /BUT/ that is because glee has crap writing and doesn’t give any actor anything to work with anyway…

I didn’t know that HTSIBWRT got bad reviews with Dan but as much as it pains me to admit I didn’t like Dan’s acting except in the last 2 films, not a good record.

18. Jase says:

LMAO! Y’all are acting like Darren Criss is replacing Brando on Broadway. Let’s be real: Daniel Radcliffe is a lousy actor. He’s been terrible in the Harry Potter films where his only merit is resembling the character (re-watch the “emotional” scene in Azkhaban where he screams, “He was their friend!” It’s as bad as watching hair models trying to emote on Days of Our Lives) and he’s even worse onstage where the craft demands more. So whether or not you think Criss is talented (I personally think he is), it’s not like he has major shoes to fill here! Even if he’s mediocre, that will still be better than Radciffe.

Hell Radcliffe was so bad that even enormous name recognition couldn’t secure him a Tony nomination (and usually it does with that star-whoring committee).

• BillyBob says:

Hey jesse, Daniel Radcliffe is a great actor, and is perfect in his Harry Potter roles. No doubt he is excellent in this broadway musical. Darren can stay on Glee.

19. BillyBob says:

I like Darren Criss but if I had to choose between him and Daniel Radcliffe, it would DEFINITLEY (how do you spell that???) be Dan!!!! Darren can just back off because he is better on Glee. GO DAN!!!!!!!! <3

20. Rex says:

That’s awesome news! I hope and pray this means that Blaine won’t be back on Glee next season. I can’t stand his storyline with Kurt.

21. Debbie says:

They are both talented young men. I wish them both good fortune. Be happy for people if they get a lucky break! Karma has a way of coming back to you in the same form you let it out.

22. Georgia says:

I’m a big fan of Darren, and am glad he’s finally reaching his goal of being on Broadway. But I agree that it’s impossible to pretend that no one in the world is unhappy about it. Opinions are opinions afterall. All I see is a guy who is just trying to reach his goals, and frankly, I couldn’t be more hapy for him! Congrats to Darren, and I look forward to seeing more of his face in the future. :)

23. Amber says:

I think Darren would do well on Broadway. :) I mean, he’s even said that he likes live performing much more than things on film, so I think he’d be happier if anything. I think he has tons of talent and might be one of those actors from this generation that people remember. :) Good luck Darren!

24. Maggie says:

Well Iv read most of the comments here and this is what I have to say-take it or leave I could care less-

Daniel Radcliffe is not the best actor in the world, that being said he has deffintly improved over the last 3 HP film alot. Also, I think he is a very good at comedy. I also think he does a very good job in How to succeed. But none of this really has anything to do with Darrin….who I think is fun and would make a good finch also. He has a good voice, and alot of people know of him now thanks to Glee.