Katie Couric to Make ABC Debut Via The View

And so it begins. Former CBS Evening News anchorwoman Katie Couric will dip her toe into the ABC waters in two weeks , as a guest cohost of The View, the network has announced.

Couric will join The View‘s panelists on Wednesday, Aug. 3, as part of the daytime talker’s season finale week.

It was announced in early June that Couric, upon the expiration of her pact with CBS, had inked a multi-year, multi-platform agreement with ABC to host and produce her own nationally syndicated talk show and to join the ABC News team.

Couric’s yet-to-be-titled talker is set to bow in September 2012, claiming the 3 o’clock time slot in at least eight major markets representing nearly a quarter of the nation’s TV households. Though that plum birth would seem to hang a dark cloud over what is soon to be ABC’s lone surviving soap opera, last month’s Couric press release said that the network “continues to support General Hospital.”

1. Jay says:

Wow, could that photo be any more airbrushed? I can barely make out whether she has a nose or not…

• april-ann says:

Oh, she has a nose all right, unlike so many in the ‘biz. Even more rare in the ‘biz, she has a brain.

2. Karen says:

Considering the already-canceled ONE LIFE TO LIVE has been beating GENERAL HOSPITAL in the ratings and key women 18-49 and 18-34 demographics lately, I would bet that GH will be banished to the internet also when Katie’s show starts in September 2012.

3. Michelle says:

Now Couric is going to drag down The View.

• Gwen says:

Nope, that was already accomplished when they hired Elisabeth Hasselbeck. Katie Couric will elevate “The View” to what it used to be when Meredith Viera was on the panel.

• Kim R says:

Could NOT agree more. The View has gone down hill so badly I rarely watch it anymore. I love The Talk on CBS in the afternoon and much prefer it over the mean spirited & gossipy style of what The View has become. Katie….run for the hills! :)

• april-ann says:

Totally agree. Katie Couric will add the brains subtracted when Meredith Viera left. The View was so good pre-Hasselbeck. I stopped watching about a year after she came on, without question the most stupid person ever on television. ABC should give Katie Couric a plum position on ABC news, have her take over the View. Barbara Walters should retire.

• Kim R says:

BW should definitely retire. Perhaps the whole show should be put to bed at this point. I think when you are constantly saying how much you really love each other….you don’t really love each other. Joy is mean spirited, Elizabeth just natters over everybody’s voices, Whoopie defends EVERYONE that has been in the news with bad behaviour & Barbara railroads anyone who doesn’t agree with her, the whole time waving her feeble, unbendable hands. I have to say, Sherry is the only one that whether I agree with her opinion or not, she’s funny & real.
          Well…..I guess I got that off my chest! :) Did I mention that I agree….BW should retire?? :)

• Michelle says:

I agree. Why doesn’t she realize we are just “not that into her!!!” Retire already, Katie.

4. Marcus says:

No way Katie Couric looks like the photo included in this article. In the photo she looks almost doable, and we know that ain’t so.

• Anti-Marcus says:

It’s easy to sit at your little screen and make jerky comments, you troglodyte (I know, I know, you will have to look up that word). It’s people like you who ruin blogs for people who would like to have an intelligent discussion on a variety of topics. Get over yourself.

5. raveng says:

Whoopie should be jumping jacks with these news… ;)

6. Larc says:

Katie has been with NBC, CBS and now ABC. When her new show fizzles out, maybe she’ll go with FOX.

7. rmr says:

Never liked her.

8. Andrew says:

FYI, it’s berth, not birth.

9. Denise says:

If General Hospital gets cancelled, I will hold her responsible.

10. Pinky says:

Is it ‘birth’, or ‘BERTH’????

11. Shirley Baker says:

ever;yone deserves a chance. :Yes, The View is getting old. Not enjoyable like it used to be. Not getting to the audiences who watch, us in retirement need a little boost and laughter once in awhile…..give it to us Katie !!!