Dexter Boss Spills Season 6 Secrets, Reveals How Much Life Is Left in Showtime's Killer Saga

In just a few short months, Showtime’s Dexter will return with what promises to be a jaw-dropping, game-changing sixth season. TVLine spoke with executive producer Sara Colleton about the new and improved Dark Passenger (whom, she says, “is at the top of his game in every way”), unveiling the big secret to Deb (“It will happen”), and just how long she and the other Powers That Be think this wicked game can last. (Hint: It’s a while).

TVLINE | What can we expect to see from Dexter and his Dark Passenger this season?
Dexter is back, and he still wants to play. [Laughs] The last shot in the Season 5 finale was Dexter doing something we rarely do in the series: breaking the fourth wall. He looked in the camera and says, “Wishes are for children.” So, we’ve jumped ahead a year and this is now a Dexter who is over Rita’s death and over the loss of Lumen. He has realized that the desire to merge his lives is never going to work, so he’s compartmentalized things. An intimate relationship is not right for him to have, so he’s trying to shut that part of him off because it doesn’t lead anywhere that’s good for him. He’s at the top of his game in every way.

True Blood Head-Turner Sinks Her Teeth into Dexter

TVLINE | Leading up to previous seasons, it has sometimes been said that Dexter will be reverting to the man we met in Season 1. Is that the case this time around, or is he now a whole new man?
I don’t think Dexter is ever a new character, but rather every year a composite of what we’ve seen him experience and learn about human nature. We never arbitrarily say we’re going to clean things up and start over with him; he is the collection of all of the years.

TVLINE | It’s been reported that Season 6 will find Dexter battling with faith. Can you elaborate on that?
Harrison is about to start school and Dexter is keenly aware that while he knows what he doesn’t want to pass on to his son — namely his Dark Passenger — he has no idea what he should be passing on to him. So, the overarching theme of the year is faith, and if it is something he should be utilizing. But before he can do that, he’s got to figure out what exactly faith is. Right away, he realizes this is something that there is no definition of; it’s something that very baffling to him. In no way does this become a “New Age” religious take on the subject matter. If Dexter’s going to be exploring this, it’s going to be handled in a classic Dexter style. Dexter attempting to define what, by its very nature, is indefinable is very fun.

TVLINE | There are many new people joining the show this season. What’s one good tease you can give about some of the newcomers?
In an interesting way, Travis (played by Colin Hanks) and Molly Parker’s character have a wonderful brother/sister relationship that in many ways parallels Dexter’s relationship with Deb.

Dexter Exclusive: Josh Cooke Joins Miami Metro’s Geek Squad

TVLINE | Let’s talk a little about the structure of Miami Metro, now one year later. Have things changed at all, aside from the new blood in the building?
Everyone is still there, but the relationships have all progressed. Deb and Quinn are still living together; LaGuerta and Batista have divorced. Other than that, we start out pretty status quo.

TVLINE | Speaking of Quinn: There has long been this questionable backstory surrounding him that begs to be told. Any chance we’ll see some of that finally come out this season?
Quinn has evolved, and just like Dexter, he has his own definition of what is moral and what is immoral. He rose to his very best self to be worthy of Deb’s affections at the end of last season, and that’s even more apparent this year. Of course, love is fraught with peril and disappointment, and how one responds to that is a real test. We’ll see Quinn go through that stuff this season, and it’s very, very character-revealing.

TVLINE | Are Dexter and Quinn still at each other’s throats, or have we moved beyond that?
That has definitely cooled off, because if you remember, Dexter gave a gift to him last season by covering up Liddy’s blood on his shoe. Quinn’s aware of it, that Dexter’s did him a solid. So, Dexter has just learned to tolerate him, and all Quinn wants is for Dexter to like him because he realizes how important to Deb her brother is.

TVLINE | Jennifer Carpenter recently told us that she’d classify Dexter and Deb’s relationship in Season 6 as “happy.” Can you confirm that the two are in a good place?
Deb and Dexter have one of the great brother/sister relationships in any television series. Things will happen in each of their lives that the other will have to adjust to, but it’s in how they do so that matters. I know the question on everyone’s mind is, “What’s going to happen if/when/how she finds out about the Dark Passenger side of her brother?” When and how that’s going to be handled has not been quite decided, but it will at some point happen.

How Jennifer Carpenter Used Her Dexter Past to Deal with Deb’s Greatest Drama

TVLINE | How about Deb’s personal journey this year? Can we hope to see her — dare I say it — happy?
Absolutely. [Laughs] Over the seasons, she’s gotten a much greater sense of self and more confidence, especially when it comes to what she deserves in life. Deb comes into real strength as a grown woman this season, both in her personal and professional life.

TVLINE | What’s the status on Rita’s kiddos, Astor and Cody? Will they still be around for Dexter to care for?
They are referenced, but they haven’t really played in to the story this season. Because a year has gone by, they have their own lives. They’re in Orlando having a good time and they don’t want to leave. They’re happy that they have Harrison, but they are in a part of a kid’s life when they have other things going on.

TVLINE | How about Harry? What’s his involvement in Season 6?
In previous seasons, Harry was always worried about Dexter and trying to prevent him from making mistakes, and now he realizes that Dexter paid for those and is trying to the best of his ability to be a good dad. So, now he’s being supportive. They were father/son before; now they’re two dads together.

TVLINE | I know this question has been thrown around quite a bit in Dexter‘s history, but going into your sixth season, I’ve got to ask: How much life is left in this series? Is that something you even discuss?
Every year we are as excited as we were about the previous year. As long as we can move Dexter into a new territory to explore, it’s exciting for viewers. And as long as there are new, profound ways of examining human nature, the show stays fresh. When we feel we have reached that end, nobody on the show wants to start treading water. When that will be, we’ll know when we get there, but I don’t see it as an imminent thing.

TAGS: , ,
GET MORE: Fall TV Preview, Interviews, Spoilers

1. GG says:

Love, love, LOVE Dexter! It is, without a doubt, my favorite show.

I wasn’t so sure about Quinn at first, but I really am liking him and Deb together. Too bad about Batista and LaGuerta, but I never really bought them as a couple to begin with. Can’t wait till season 6 starts up in September.

• c.freeze says:

I love love Dexter and during the summer I read the dearly devoted Dexter books because I missed the show so much. Please don’t even think about ending the series. It’s so unpredicable and heart pumping and It’s the highlight of my Sunday nights.
      Thanks. Micheal C. Hall is a fantastic actor and voice over.

2. G says:

Thanks for this. But I don’t even want to consider the possibility of Dexter ending! It is one of the best shows ever!
    The season 6 promo was awesome. The Dark Passenger as a calling and Dex thinking about it as a higher purpose seems very interesting and exciting.

3. Dryden says:

The show’s formula is so tired. Michael C. Hall is great in the role, but the show needs to actually shake things up (Deb finding out) or call it quits.

• Sivat says:

Agreed. I am actually excited for when the series finally ends because I want Dexter to get caught and I want to see everyone’s reactions, especially LaGuerta’s.

• Chazzo says:

Yeah, but that is part of what makes it the best show on TV – it doesn’t sell out to the obvious. I don’t want him to ever be found out, and I bet the people who wirte and work on the show don’t want him to either.

4. whitto says:

^^ Ye Deb or SOMEONE really needs to find out now, 5 seasons and it feels like we are getting filler seasons now.
    They really need to shake things up and get a move on with the larger storyline (will/when dexter get caught, what will happen etc).

If it was me running the show I would plan 2 final seasons and plan it all out and go out with a bang.

Dexter getting caught in the 6th season then have the final season him on the run and having a good end.

It really needs to start wrapping up now, I hope they don’t wait until it starts to really get boring and repetitive – which it is already starting to be…

• whitto says:

I mean look at Breaking Bad!
      That story has progressed so much and it still feels exciting and new in it’s 4th season.
      You KNOW that Walt has a time limit and atleast the show-runners know they only have 1 more season left if that.
      They could easily pull a Dexter and keep going, but they want to go out while people are still wanting more.

Total opposite to what Weeds is doing, she won’t even end it after this season unless the network cancels it!

• George says:

I agree about Breaking Bad. Season 5 continue to make me Regret giving it too much attention. When a great show Like Terriers was on. As I watch the amazing fourth season of Breaking Bad I’ll continue to wonder how great a second season would of been for “TERRIERS”.

5. John says:

Harrison going to school a year later? There is something seriously wrong with that…

6. Kevin says:

I’m a huge avid fan of DEXTER and if SHOWTIME gets renewed for Season Seven, looks like the serial killer drama may end up being its last.

7. Jenny says:

Thanks sooo much for the Dexter scoop!!! Love it! And I’m really excited about the thought of Debra finding out! I would love to see how that would work!!! Can’t wait for season 6!

8. John says:

Great info! A little sad that he’s closing himself off from his new humanity (season 5 premier is still one of my favorites and one of the saddest things I’ve seen), that Batista and LaGuerta are divorced, and that Astor and Cody aren’t in it any more. I really liked what Rita and her kids brought to Dexter’s life and was a bit miffed that season 5 basically had him forsake them, and it seems season 6 might go that direction too.

• nmbr1cub says:

I agree. I want to see what happens to Batista and LaGuerta, but I’m very upset that Astor and Cody were just written out of the show like that. Those kids were so important to Dexter, and he was so important to them, and now they’re just gone? I call b.s. and a shame the show didn’t decide to explore such a great prospect.

9. Dexterina says:

One of my favorite TV shows. I’ve got all previous seasons on DVD, and am waiting for season 5 release in August. As much as it pains me to think at some point we’ll be deprived of this great series, it must end soon, while it’s on top. One, two more seasons?
    Michael C. Hall is an amazing actor but there is only so much a character like Dexter can do.

10. sam says:

Hey, as long as it keeps getting renewed and they tell a good story I’m all for how ever many seasons they want to have. I love Dexter and don’t want it to end just yet. Also, would it be nice for Deb to find out about him or others? Sure, but to go on the run or get caught? No, sorry I do not want to see that happen to Dexter. I’d rather it end with him continuing what he does best catching the bad guys!

• allen says:

I agree 100 percent with you sam. Keep the seasons coming. There can be a long lasting serial killer. Look at the zodiac killer.

11. sam says:

One thing I don’t understand is Harrison being in school? is it more like daycare? because if only one year has passed he would only be 2 so …..?

12. Laura Lee says:

People claim they love Dexter and yet want to see the show end? I don’t see the show going on for too much longer, but I’m also not in a hurry to see it end, and even if Deb were to find out, it doesn’t necessary mean that it would be the end of the series. If any of you have read the books then you’d know that Deb discovers Dexter’s secrete and yet, elects to keep it to herself. I don’t know if the writers are willing to follow that storyline, but it would add an interesting element to the show. I think if the writers were inclined to follow the books version of events, Debs discovery of Dexter would add a new dimension to their relationship.
    Dexter seems to want to reveal that side of himself, to someone he can trust. Maybe for Dexter, sharing that side of himself would unburden him in someway.
    I see the show lasting seven seasons, because for one-Collette revealed too much information last summer in comic-con and Micheal C. Hall did an online interview with Vancouver, in which he stated he doesn’t see the show going on beyond seven season. I think Deb will find out toward the end of the season, and that revelation will be the cliff hanger for season seven. That’s my prediction whose willing to put some money on it? hit me up!

13. Ashley says:

Will someone please tell mevwhy everyone is saying if Deb finds out the sho is over? Also, while I wish the show would never end. I think, sadly, it should end after season 7, or it may become like House.

14. Richi E. says:

All I know is, I still have a crush on Lumen. :) Can’t wait for the new episodes.

15. lfischerpe says:

I also think Dexter is the best show on TV and Michael Cole is great. I think of Dexter as a savior of the good and not a serial killer. Does anyone know when the season begins this year?

16. J Nicole E says:

I know a lot of people didn’t like season 5 (not my favorite, but well done). However, this series is about Dexter’s JOURNEY as he tries to find a balance between his 2 lives nd learn what it means to be “human”. Each season has him explore a new facet of the human condition. It will be exciting to see a stronger more self assured Dexter continuing to redefine his OWN code. As long as the writing is strong and he continues to grow as a character- keep it going!!! Best show on TV for me EVER! Dexter is my TV heroin :) lol

17. Alexi Seminayov says:

I was about to give up on TV until Dexter came along. No other show explores the foibles of human nature like this one; I am absolutely hooked.
    The concept of the Dark Passenger is a showcase for all of the human angles a person can contain. Through this, it’s easy to set up a rippin’ good tale and still teach people some basic psychology, perhaps about themselves.
    I hope Dexter never goes off the air. I would enjoy seeing him cope with being an old man, yet still being able to off the bad guys!

18. Ricky says:

I really didn’t like that guy when he was in ‘Six feet under’, but I love Dexter :-)